The WWE 13 Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRock88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
wwe13_original_crop_exact.jpg

Well the time's come, game comes out this Tuesday October 30th. Might be the next best wrestling game right up there with No Mercy thanks to the inclusion of the Attitude era modes/superstars.

Full list of roster + DLC characters

RAW
  • Big Show
  • Brock Lesnar
  • Chris Jericho
  • CM Punk
  • David Otunga
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Epico
  • Jack Swagger
  • John Cena
  • John Laurinaitis
  • Kane
  • Kofi Kingston
  • The Miz
  • Primo
  • Santino Marella
  • The Rock
  • R-Truth
  • Tensai (DLC)
  • Triple H
  • Zack Ryder
SmackDown

• Alberto Del Rio
  • Antonio Cesaro (DLC)
  • Booker T
  • Brodus Clay
  • Christian
  • Cody Rhodes
  • Damien Sandow (DLC)
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Drew McIntyre (DLC)
  • The Great Khali
  • Heath Slater
  • Hunico
  • Jey Uso (DLC)
  • Jimmy Uso (DLC)
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Justin Gabriel
  • Mark Henry
  • Randy Orton
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Ryback (DLC)
  • Sheamus
  • Sin Cara
  • Ted Dibiase
  • The Undertaker
  • Wade Barrett
  • Yoshi Tatsu (DLC)
Attitude Era

• Animal
  • Big Bossman
  • Big Show (Attitude Era)
  • Billy Gunn
  • Bradshaw
  • Bret Hart
  • Brian Pillman (DLC)
  • British Bulldog
  • Cactus Jack
  • Chainsaw Charlie (DLC)
  • Chris Jericho (Attitude Era)
  • Christian (Attitude Era)
  • DDP (Fan Axxess Exclusive DLC)
  • Dude Love
  • Eddie Guerrero
  • Edge (Attitude Era)
  • Faarooq
  • Gangrel (DLC)
  • Godfather
  • Goldust (Fan Axxess Exclusive DLC)
  • Grand Master Sexay (DLC)
  • Hawk
  • Hunter Hearst Helmsley
  • Kane (Attitude Era)
  • Ken Shamrock
  • Mankind
  • Mark Henry (Attitude Era)
  • Mike Tyson - Pre-order exclusive
  • Mr. McMahon
  • Rikishi (DLC)
  • Road Dogg Jesse James
  • The Rock (Attitude Era)
  • Scotty 2 Hotty (DLC)
  • Shane McMahon
  • Shawn Michaels
  • Stone Cold
  • Triple H (Attitude Era)
  • The Undertaker (Attitude Era)
  • Vader
  • Val Venis (DLC)
  • X-Pac
Legends

• Edge
  • JBL
  • John Cena (Doctor of Thuganomics attire)
  • Kevin Nash
Divas

• AJ Lee (DLC)
  • Alicia Fox
  • Beth Phoenix
  • Brie Bella
  • Eve
  • Kelly Kelly
  • Kharma
  • Layla (DLC)
  • Lita
  • Natalya (DLC)
  • Nikki Bella
  • Lita
Attitude Era Divas

• Lita (Attitude Era)
  • Stephanie McMahon
  • Trish Stratus
NPCs

• Paul Bearer (Manager)
  • Ricardo Rodriguez (Announcer/Manager)
  • Jim Ross (Attitude Era Mode Commentary)
  • Jerry Lawler (Attitude Era Mode Commentary/In-Game Commentary)
  • Michael Cole (In-Game Commentary)
  • Justin Roberts (Announcer)
  • Tony Chimmel (Announcer)

New additions include:
-OMG moments (moments that involve the environment that include superplexing someone and causing the ring to implode, spearing someone through the barricade, etc)
-Attitude Era (go through and relive classic Attitude era moments)
-More authentic crowd sounds (Let's go Cena/Cena sucks, Yes chants, etc)
-Create a championship belt

Sorry if this thread is kinda crappy compared to the others but wanted to rant due to the other thread already being over 500 posts.

Youtube sent me an email this afternoon saying my vid (it was Stone Cold coming down to save team WWF when the Alliance was beating the crap out of them but replaced the sounds using sounds from the Super Mario games) is in violation of copyright. Yeah, now they come after me after I uploaded the vid almost 4 years ago and 10,000 views later. Dont know if it's related due to the Linda campaign but I'm just seriously pissed right now.

Sorry for your damn luck.

Almost grabbed WWE All Stars today at Best Buy but the 360 version was still $40 while the PS3 version was $20. I needed the 360 version.

In other wrestling videogame news, I actually got an N64 again for the first time since 1997. The first game I got? WCW/NWO Revenge. The game is great but I was having a hell of a time pinning people. I needed a FAQ but didn't want to stop playing to look one up.

I'm seriously considering picking up WWE '13 next week because of the K-Mart deal. Seems like they've fixed a lot of the things that annoyed me in WWE '12. One thing I am concerned about with '13 is the "Rope Break" text. In the recent Daniel Bryan vs. X-Pac video THQ released, the pinfall count text display was off, but the rope break text would still appear. That irked me in WWE '12, so I was hoping they would fix it this year. Guess we'll see once the game hits if you can turn it off somehow.

[quote name='Halo05']Sorry for your damn luck.

Almost grabbed WWE All Stars today at Best Buy but the 360 version was still $40 while the PS3 version was $20. I needed the 360 version.

In other wrestling videogame news, I actually got an N64 again for the first time since 1997. The first game I got? WCW/NWO Revenge. The game is great but I was having a hell of a time pinning people. I needed a FAQ but didn't want to stop playing to look one up.[/QUOTE]WWE All-Stars for the 360 is $19 fulfilled through Amazon.

In WCW/NWO Revenge, do you mean it was taking a long time to pin people or that it was a learning curve type of thing? If it's the former, that probably means that you have the handicap setting too low. With it turned all the way down, you can get 20 minute matches filled with kickouts after finishers. Wish Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy had that feature. :/

I'll be getting WWE 13 day one. Likely another disappointment, but I'm trying to keep my head up about this one.

I'm sitting on a bit of GS credit, not sure if I want to jump on WWE '13 or not.

The pre-order bonuses seem okay, but the gameplay and glitches from '12 were a bit too much to deal with.

Ready to pick it up Tuesday, can't wait. Early reports of people playing the game at Best Buy have been overwhelmingly positive.

I want to get WWE 13, but I might have to put a hold on getting it. I wish somewhere had a good deal on it. I remember getting WWE 12 day one for $47.99 and a $10 GC thanks to Best Buy and a Target PM.

[quote name='advanced']I want to get WWE 13, but I might have to put a hold on getting it. I wish somewhere had a good deal on it. I remember getting WWE 12 day one for $47.99 and a $10 GC thanks to Best Buy and a Target PM.[/QUOTE]

Target has buy 2 get 1 free on all games

[quote name='BlueSwim']
WWE All-Stars for the 360 is $19 fulfilled through Amazon.

In WCW/NWO Revenge, do you mean it was taking a long time to pin people or that it was a learning curve type of thing? If it's the former, that probably means that you have the handicap setting too low. With it turned all the way down, you can get 20 minute matches filled with kickouts after finishers. Wish Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy had that feature. :/[/QUOTE]

I actually have WWE All Stars and a couple other things sitting in my Amazon cart as we speak. But with the Wii U launch and Assassin's Creed 3 I should probably hold off on buying other videogame related stuff.

Regarding WCW/NWO, I just don't know what all the buttons do. A lot of it came back with time like the running, finishers, and pulling weapons out of the crowd but not so much with the pinning. I'll print out a FAQ before I sit down with it again.

The cart had some hilarious edits left from the previous owner. Hogan was named "DICKMAN", DDP was wearing Raven's clothes, Eddy Guerrero had some Spanish name (well, more Spanish), and Rey Mysterio was in some crazy light-blue body suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
why am I thinking the down arrow button (whatever the bottom yellow button was) pinned? it's been eons since I played those games, though.

how does the gameplay hold up? so many of us talk about it as the holy grail, but hindsight isn't always 20/20 - going back and playing "classic" PS1/N64/early-3D games leaves a *lot* to be desired.

I think I tried that and wound up dragging my opponent all over the ring.

The game is still a blast. Hitting Raven's DDT on people and having them start bleeding as a result is great. Beyond that... it is admittedly hard to separate the nostalgia from the experience. If you grew up playing the games, it's worth the relatively low prices that they go for just to see the rosters and mess around with the game. If you have no prior experience with the titles, I don't think that playing them for the first time in 2012 would be anything special.

The other knock against the N64 in general is that it doesn't work very well with my less than a year old TV. The image is stretched (which I need to fix by messing with my TV's settings) and just looks bad like most every standard definition system that I throw at it. I need to start looking at Craigslist for a good condition SD TV for my old stuff to run on.

[quote name='Halo05']Sorry for your damn luck.

In other wrestling videogame news, I actually got an N64 again for the first time since 1997. The first game I got? WCW/NWO Revenge. The game is great but I was having a hell of a time pinning people. I needed a FAQ but didn't want to stop playing to look one up.[/QUOTE]
Did you get the game on eBay recently?

[quote name='mykevermin']why am I thinking the down arrow button (whatever the bottom yellow button was) pinned? it's been eons since I played those games, though.

how does the gameplay hold up? so many of us talk about it as the holy grail, but hindsight isn't always 20/20 - going back and playing "classic" PS1/N64/early-3D games leaves a *lot* to be desired.[/QUOTE]

First thing that came to mind was one of the bumpers, though I think the left one flips the opponent around.

Last year, I gave a play to the N64 games. I think they're as good as memory says if not better than expectations. Of course, with "the N64 games" I mean "the AKI games" and not WWF Attitude, WCW Mayhem, WWF Backlash, or WCW Nitro.

And I have a copy of a New Japan game for the Game Boy. Enjoyable for what it is.

[quote name='Brak']Did you get the game on eBay recently?[/QUOTE]

No. Local game place that actually still stocks old systems and games. Game ADX or something like that. It's a little place in Oceanside, CA. The prices are a bit high, and the place is a hole in the wall, but he has a good return policy so I knew I wasn't going to get stuck with something that didn't work. I'll probably get the rest of the good N64 wrestling games via Amazon at some point.

This thread has X-Pac heat for not putting a link in the old thread. Definitive fail.

All of this talk is making me nostalgic for some Tecmo World Wrestling. Can anyone recommend a safe ROM site?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine all paid and midnight release as well. I can't wait. The Attitude era looks good and the Universe looks even better thanks to Paul Heymans help. I do miss where you could hold a submission to a 4 count or when you landed on the ropes.

They changed it from down C in WCW vs. NWO World Tour to L in later games to pin your opponent.

It was truly sad just how badly the AKI games shit on anything else, because the bar was set too high and nothing has ever come close.

[quote name='Blaster man']Target has buy 2 get 1 free on all games[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about that. I want to get AC3 too but the third game escapes me. I'd like to only go $90 out of pocket for the both instead of $130 out of pocket with a $4X.XX GC to Best Buy.

This year's game looks way better than last years game, that's for sure. It won't match up to those N64 classics though.

[quote name='advanced']I'm thinking about that. I want to get AC3 too but the third game escapes me. I'd like to only go $90 out of pocket for the both instead of $130 out of pocket with a $4X.XX GC to Best Buy.

This year's game looks way better than last years game, that's for sure. It won't match up to those N64 classics though.[/QUOTE]

Can always return the 3rd game. Deals like these with Target they always mark the game down to 33% for each game.

[quote name='TheRock88']Can always return the 3rd game. Deals like these with Target they always mark the game down to 33% for each game.[/QUOTE]

I can't say I knew that, so thanks. I may end up jumping on it then. $40 for each day one sounds good enough for me. AC games normally drop, but I'm too excited for this one too wait.

Punk/Ryback finish was great

Maddox was paid off.

Ryback gets Punk up for his marching band drop finisher thing and the ref (Maddox, the one that failed to see Punk's feet on the ropes a few weeks ago on Raw) stops him, low blows Ryback, Punk rolls him up and gets the win.

Punk tries to leave the cell, ref is close behind, Ryback destroys ref.. hits him with the (meathook?) clothesline, picks him up and throws him over the top rope and into the cell.

Punk crawls out the door. Ryback follows. Ryback puts his foot on Punk's back and pushes him to the ground. Ryback starts walking toward Heyman and Heyman takes off towards the back. Ryback gets Punk up, irish whips him into the outside of the cell, and Punk jumps up and climbs to the top. Ryback follows.

Punk crawls towards the middle, Ryback lifts him up and hits his marching band finisher thing. Very scary moment as I thought the cell would give way, but it held, thankfully. Sheffield pulls his straps off his shoulder and begs for more food as the show goes off the air.

[quote name='Demolition Man']That's not very TV-PG there General Zod

tumblr_mcms5ejz571qzx70zo1_1280.png
[/QUOTE]

The gimmick table and concession stand.

[quote name='advanced']I can't say I knew that, so thanks. I may end up jumping on it then. $40 for each day one sounds good enough for me. AC games normally drop, but I'm too excited for this one too wait.[/QUOTE]

It's true. The way Target does ALL their store deals is that they set the "return value" per item. So if you buy 3 games, each game will have a return value of 39.99 (assuming you purchased 3 $60 games). Unlike BB where they put a random game for free, which makes a return there practically unethical, Target's registers were programmed with common sense.

[quote name='Blaster man']It's true. The way Target does ALL their store deals is that they set the "return value" per item. So if you buy 3 games, each game will have a return value of 39.99 (assuming you purchased 3 $60 games). Unlike BB where they put a random game for free, which makes a return there practically unethical, Target's registers were programmed with common sense.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks. I know for sure I'll be getting WWE 13 this way. You just made my day (after WWE Hell in a Cell and the Giants took a shit all over it).

[quote name='mykevermin']Wow, the lineup for this PPV looks terrible. Who in their right mind books a jabroni like Justin Gabriel Ryback on a PPV?[/QUOTE]

ftfy

WWE 13 looks incredible. I haven't got a wrestling video game since Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009 (which I think sucked) but this game looks amazing. The attitude era was so nostalgic for me since I first started watching WWF in 1997 when I was about 9 years old. Definitely picking this up.

Cell PPV thoughts -
The pre-show was absolute death with the Cena segment. It was THE most corporate-seeming deal WWE's done in a while. I did get a chuckle out of the fan JUST HAPPENING TO WEAR A TOUT NECKBAND. Yes, those exist. Weird to see Orton working an opener, but I guess it was a good choice for one. Loved the corner headbutts from Orton. The enziguri into the RKO was an AWESOME finish. I'm glad they were able to do something memorable in this feud. Heyman and Vickie's deal was amusing. I liked Sandow getting gear that matched Cody's black and purple stuff. Sandow's subtle bird flip to Kane before hitting the elbow on Bryan was tremendous. I liked his little stomp on the face to hold it down before a knee drop. They had a really fun long match here, and the DQ finish sucked some wind out of things. I guess the Scholars demand a rematch on the basis that they won the bout and it's not their fault Kane a nutjob. I liked Kofi getting new gear that sorta matches the IC title. I liked the SOS being countered into the reverse DDT backbreaker leading to the SOS - easy way to mix up the usual spots that helped this feel different than their other matches. All the legwork and unique things, like the leg DDT on the ropes helped too. Surprised to see Miz take the kick of death again, but I like Kofi as champ. Striker doing the post-match interview made Kofi seem like a lesser star though.

Glad to see Cesaro and Gabriel get a PPV payday, although the match was hurt by a lack of heat. Gabriel's cradle counter out of pin cover ruled. His flip off the left-armed lariat from Cesaro was great. His attempt at AJ's moonsault DDT using the turnbuckles instead didn't quite work out so well, and whoever told him to get the left side of his head buzzed for a combover mullet should be shot. The springboard into the uppercut on the floor should be a highlight reel spot that they cut away from before it lands to both make it seem more impactful and prevent you from seeing how poor it turned out. Loved Cesaro's gutwrench lift of Gabriel into the ring before the Neutralizer. These guys can't seem to help but have great matches and this was their best one yet even with the issues. Sin Cara/Rey vs. PTPs sure seemed like Raw filler. Loved JR putting Sin Cara as a huge deal whose WWE signing was covered by every major media outlet. Sin Cara's masking having Rey's design on the back looked strange, but neat. Sin Cara's really adapted to WWE's style well. Shame he took a header doing the Asai DDT. It did lead to a great tag to Rey who's still got tons of fire and is perfect as a tag guy at this stage in his career.

Show and Sheamus started off with some fine clubbering and then became a really slow-paced deal for a while before picking up a lot at the end. Sheamus' chest looked disgusting due to Show's chops, which helped make this seem special. COULDN'T fuckING BELIEVE SHEAMUS HIT THE CELTIC CROSS ON SHOW. He had him up there perfectly and hit it perfectly too. Goddamn Sheamus is a strong motherfucker. Loved the KO punch out of the Brogue Kick being caught. It played off of what Show did a few weeks back. Sheamus hitting the kick as a counter with Show kneeling due to trying the punch worked well. Sheamus' WTF face ruled. JBL treating this like a huge deal helped it. The second punch hitting during the kick attempt was great. This was a great match overall. Show getting a tear in his eye was great and I'm so glad to not only see Sheamus' reign end, but see Show get it. Teddy and Ryder's bit with Eve was great. Santino coming in as Honey Boo Boo Gaga was...something, until Ron Simmons gave it a damn and made it great.

The womens match wasn't good, but had some amusing spots where they just kept tripping over themselves. Loved JBL screwing up and then going on a rant about Notre Dame. Eve's somersault senton to break up Kaitlyn's 69 pin on Layla was a highlight. Punk and Heyman exchanging a hug and a handshake before the Cell was great. Ryback's red, black, and silver gear looked great - even if it was more RVD-ish than usual. I'm amazed there hasn't been an RVD chant during his matches. I liked him wearing elbow pads and the new gloves looked good. The match itself was a lot of stalling early and some good power spots from Ryback while Punk created motion with jumps into him and the suicide dive into the cell. Them showing the fans chanting Feed Me More before the lariat helped make Ryback seem like a big deal. I liked the idea of Mr. Mad-ox being in Heyman's pocket, but the idea of Ryback having this little goof in front of him and NOT KICKING HIM or dropping Punk to attack him looked weird. Then again, I guess he really couldn't kick him and hold Punk up at the same time, so I guess it was the best option if Maddox had to be facing him. Not sure why he couldn't just kick him low from behind though. Ryback murdering Maddox with an in ring press slam INTO THE CELL and then giving us the first top of the cell spot in many years with the Shell Shocked on the Cell erased any harm done to Ryback. He didn't win the title, but he got the highlight reel finish for the show. They booked themselves into a tough spot, but found a great way out of it overall. They found a way to add an asterix to Ryback's first loss to basically negate it, and can always have Vickie or Vince declare it a no-contest due to the ref later if they really need that streak to be something. Ryback standing tall with a Feed Me More chant going while he had his foot on Punk doing the old Warrior pin did more to help him than winning the WWE Title before he's ready would've. Punk going into the Rumble to face Rock and have Rock end the longest WWE Title reign in 18 years is better than kiling that idea to still have the match, but tarnish the title in the process - especially with Ryback not being ready to hold it in any real way.

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/4c9lkp90ge3ju8xmhi0vrfe419c2b7qg

I just bought WWE 12 for 10 bucks, and I'm glad I did because I hate the gameplay (admittedly, probably because I suck and NOTHING is explained -- I ended up losing the opening attack on Cena about 5 times before winning). I can't imagine it being different enough that I'd be happy with a $60 purchase of WWE 13.

I read the results in this thread and until this morning I was thinking "they had him debut as a REF?!?!?!?!"

The I realized I was confusing the name Jon Moxley for Maddox. Except Jon Moxley is now Dean Ambrose(™,®, all rights reserved, WWE, Inc. 2012), so that couldn't be right.

Poor Brad Maddox is gonna be Dangerous Danny Davis. Guys get ruined starting off from gimmicks like "the evil ref" and their careers can never recover. Why don't they just hire enhancement talent for short term contracts for that stuff instead of waste guys they put time and money into in FCW?

During the nWo Legends roundtable that WWE produced, Nash talked about his first "Diesel" contract w/ WWF was for $1500 and like 10-15 appearances. So why can't "the evil ref" get the same treatment?

Just thinking out loud - that would save WWE money and give some indy guys more exposure than just jobber grist for the Ryback mill.

8.4 from IGN. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/29/wwe-13-review

Though WWE ’13 wisely retains the massive, necessary and fundamentally great gameplay changes of last year, it still continues to find ways to advance THQ’s franchise as a whole. Of particular note is the game’s superb single-player experience, which should serve as the foundation for all future endeavors. If anything, the smart objective design and use of archival WWE footage makes us want more – and there’s no turning back.

Still, there are flaws – some lingering from past years and some because of experimentation that doesn’t quite work. Some video, audio and animation issues appear frequently, and the Universe and Creative modes could certainly use some retooling, if only for an improved user interface. That said, THQ’s accomplishments in revamping its wrestling games are clear. Here’s hoping that continues.

Reading the whole review, it almost comes across as "This game kinda sucks, but it's cool because it's got 90s wrestlers in it".

Why do I feel like it's going to be Maddox vs Ryback tonight? It would be awesome to see Maddox crush Ryback and the look on Punk's face as Maddox points to Punk. But shit, who the hell am I kidding? Ryback will just win anyways. I think I smell what story line I'm making this year.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']

Reading the whole review, it almost comes across as "This game kinda sucks, but it's cool because it's got 90s wrestlers in it".[/QUOTE]

Considering it's the only game in town for WWE, much like with Madden and NBA2K, I kind of have to buy it if I want a new wrestling game. $40 day one with the Target B2G1 Free deal sounds okay for me. I'll be able to get the DLC pack this way too.

KMart is offering a $15 gaming coupon with WWE 13, so you could get a $20 XBL/PSN card for $5 for all of the DLC. Not a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back