CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

#32 Simmeltron

Simmeltron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Please forgive my ignorance.. but what exactly is superior to these Criterion Collection blus vs non Criterion?

#33 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Please forgive my ignorance.. but what exactly is superior to these Criterion Collection blus vs non Criterion?

Pretty much everything. Excellent transfers excellent audio, multiple cuts where available, superior bonus contents, superior booklets. There's only been a few instances where you'd have to make the choice between a Criterion and non-Criterion of the same title, but I think in every case the Criterion release is far superior.

Criterion also releases niche titles geared towards film buffs that likely wouldn't see a regular release otherwise.

#34 Simmeltron

Simmeltron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Pretty much everything. Excellent transfers excellent audio, multiple cuts where available, superior bonus contents, superior booklets. There's only been a few instances where you'd have to make the choice between a Criterion and non-Criterion of the same title, but I think in every case the Criterion release is far superior.

Criterion also releases niche titles geared towards film buffs that likely wouldn't see a regular release otherwise.

Right on thanks for the quick reply. I figured it was something similar to that but good to now know! I'm definitely going to have to bite on a few of my favorites here!

#35 Trojann

Trojann

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Awesome deal I got Godzilla the packaging is amazing an the bonus feature are awesome and it came with the American version it came up as $21 sooo worth it, also got Benjamin Button for $11. I love Criterion Collection movies really have a lot of bonus features.

#36 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

So far I'm heavily considering getting The Killing and Quadrophenia.

Slightly off topic but what films would you love to see Criterion release on Blu complete with their always excellent mastering. A few I can think of off hand....

Spartacus (as the current Universal Blu is awful)
Barry Lyndon (current Warner Blu has no extras which is a shame given most Kubrick films on Blu have a decent amount of extras)
Chasing Amy (if anything at least Criterion wouldn't run the film through heavy noise reduction)

New sig coming soon.

#37 gar3

gar3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Got The Gold Rush and pre-ordered Brazil last night. Thanks for the head's up on this one. Been waiting for it.

#38 The Questyen

The Questyen

Wii game total at 528!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

So far I'm heavily considering getting The Killing and Quadrophenia.

Slightly off topic but what films would you love to see Criterion release on Blu complete with their always excellent mastering. A few I can think of off hand....

Spartacus (as the current Universal Blu is awful)
Barry Lyndon (current Warner Blu has no extras which is a shame given most Kubrick films on Blu have a decent amount of extras)
Chasing Amy (if anything at least Criterion wouldn't run the film through heavy noise reduction)

The Killing is a must get. Especially since it's actually a two pack containing Killer's Kiss.

Now Playing: Dead Space Extraction (Wii) / The Swapper (PS4)

Recently Finished:  Vessel (PS3) C- / Metroid Prime (replay) (Wii) A / The Walking Dead Season 2: Ep 4 (PS3) A-

#39 jughead

jughead

Beersport Champion!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Used the B&N Buzz code to get Rosemary's Baby for $15 last night. I will use it again for recently OOP Chunking Express today and Rashomon next week.

#40 raptor3076

raptor3076

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

placed an order yesterday but never got an email about it and it is not showing on my account on the site. Called today and the woman I spoke to said all the orders are processed at an office in the New York area and they have no clue how soon all that will be up an running again. She said they started having issues about mid-day yesterday. Not sure if I should just go pick up what I ordered at a local store or wait it out and hope the order went through.

#41 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Les visiteurs du soir was todays purchase.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#42 bizman316

bizman316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Does anyone know if the BN BUZZ $5 off a $15 purchase works anymore? I was told by a employee it expired 11/1 but it doesn't have an expiration date on the coupon.

#43 The Questyen

The Questyen

Wii game total at 528!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Went back and got Late Spring and Charade.

Recently Finished:  Vessel (PS3) C- / Metroid Prime (replay) (Wii) A / The Walking Dead Season 2: Ep 4 (PS3) A-

#44 joshnorm

joshnorm

Hey, Wha Happen..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Since I don't have a B&N near me I Pm'ed Rosemary's Baby and The Game at BBY. Hopefully going to make a trip to a B&N about 30 mins north of me to see if I can grab some others I was hoping to get (Dazed and Confused, Royal Tennebaums, Godzilla, The Killing)

#45 paulluat08

paulluat08

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

I PM'ed the DEAL at Best Buy because they are selling most of the collection for $29.99. I got Rosemary's Baby, The Game, and Dazed and Confused for $14.99 each. Might come back later tonight, or perhaps tomorrow to get a few more titles.

#46 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hrm. Rashomon is listed at $34.04 on the website. Hope it rings up properly as part of the sale in the store...

#47 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Oh, also, rumor over at DVD Talk (from the OP of the B&N coupon thread, who is usually right) is that there will be a 20% off member coupon starting on Thursday.

#48 The Questyen

The Questyen

Wii game total at 528!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Hrm. Rashomon is listed at $34.04 on the website. Hope it rings up properly as part of the sale in the store...

Worked fine for me in store.

#49 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

Anyone find any good non-Criterion deals during this sale?

#50 sirhansirhan

sirhansirhan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Anyone find any good non-Criterion deals during this sale?

I was happy to grab both A Separation and Midnight in Paris for half off in the non-Criterion art house side of this sale. A Separation especially; I hadn't seen it much cheaper than $25 since its release, but was $18 before membership discounts and the like here.

#51 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Oh, also, rumor over at DVD Talk (from the OP of the B&N coupon thread, who is usually right) is that there will be a 20% off member coupon starting on Thursday.

There was a 20% coupon that showed up in the mail yesterday, with one of the unique coupon codes. It won't stack with the Criterion 50% off sale.

#52 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

God, these things always bankrupt me.

In for Rosemary's Baby, The Game, The Thine Red Line, Days of Heaven, Videodrome, Three Colors collection, Godzilla, and House.

Forgive me, wallet.

#53 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Grabbed Rashomon, preordering Brazil before it ends and I want Trilogy of Life... but likely won't get it. Too broke, Kotobukiya has two statues I'm picking up next week at $60 a pop.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#54 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

Not sure about the coupon that shrike got in the mail yesterday, but here's a 20% off member coupon with a non-unique code. Don't know whether it will work online, but it definitely works in-store, as I used it tonight (even though it says it doesn't start until tomorrow) to pick up Sunday Bloody Sunday and The Forgiveness of Blood...

http://www.barnesand...p?r=1&pid=45155

Good through Sunday.

#55 paulluat08

paulluat08

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Not sure about the coupon that shrike got in the mail yesterday, but here's a 20% off member coupon with a non-unique code. Don't know whether it will work online, but it definitely works in-store, as I used it tonight (even though it says it doesn't start until tomorrow) to pick up Sunday Bloody Sunday and The Forgiveness of Blood...

Good through Sunday.

Did it work with the 50% discount?

#56 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Did it work with the 50% discount?

Yup. Came out to $14.39 each (before tax).

#57 bryancantspell

bryancantspell

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

So, quick question: I've never tried using a membership coupon in-store before. What's your pitch to the cashier to get him or her to reuse the coupon for multiple items? Something like: "If I had printed out 4 of these coupons I could just walk out the door and come back in and buy another movie, so why not just apply it four times to these now?"

Also, since I don't have a printer at home, has anyone had success showing the coupon on a smartphone? Thanks for the help, everyone.

#58 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Grabbed Rashomon, preordering Brazil before it ends and I want Trilogy of Life... but likely won't get it. Too broke, Kotobukiya has two statues I'm picking up next week at $60 a pop.

Brazil is showing that it's not $19.99 any longer, it's pre-order "discount" price of $42.57.

Weekend, Trilogy of Life and Heaven's Gate are showing as pre-orders with the $19.99 price, Brazil isn't.

Good through Sunday.

Found that one yesterday morning in my email from BN.com and used it with the $8 off $40 single movie and $5 off $50 purchase coupon, plus my BN membership to get The Game, Rashomon and Rosemary's Baby for $46.43 after tax.

Before I bought the movies I used the $10 additional GC w/$75 GC purchase to get a $75 GC and the bonus $10 GC (which doesn't work until 12/26/12), used the GC to make the purchase.

None of the coupon codes I've found for online use seem to stack with the discount and as I hate to use the in-store coupons more than once per sale, that might be it for me. Was going to pick up Eating Raoul if I could get an online coupon to work with it.

#59 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

So, quick question: I've never tried using a membership coupon in-store before. What's your pitch to the cashier to get him or her to reuse the coupon for multiple items? Something like: "If I had printed out 4 of these coupons I could just walk out the door and come back in and buy another movie, so why not just apply it four times to these now?"

Honestly, it's going to depend on the cashier. Most of the time you're probably not going to get them to do it. The only times that I've even tried have been with cashiers that I know and am friendly with (so it helps to get to know some B&N cashiers :lol:), and once or twice when the cashier has actually offered it to me. It can't hurt to ask, but be prepared to be turned down.

When I picked up two titles in one trip the other day, I did it by giving one of the titles, a copy of the coupon, and some cash to my girlfriend and having her buy one of them.

Other than that, multiple trips back to the store (when different cashiers are on duty) is your best bet.

Also, since I don't have a printer at home, has anyone had success showing the coupon on a smartphone? Thanks for the help, everyone.

Yeah, I've done it lots of times. All they need to do is type in the number under the barcode, though sometimes (depending on the cashier), they'll insist on seeing the whole coupon first.

#60 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

The cashier that rang me up at B&N tonight (picked up Le Havre) told me that the Criterion sale has been extended until 11/29. I have no idea how true that is (haven't managed to confirm it anywhere else), but she seemed to sincerely believe it.