Assassin's Creed III Collector's Edition Strategy Guide - $20.98 @ Amazon

Vigilante

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
I know we have a separate thread for collector's edition strategy guides, but I thought this was a good enough deal to deserve its own thread in the event that people don't frequent the complete thread.

The Collector's Edition guide for the soon-to-be-released Assassin's Creed III is $20.99 (40% off of $34.99) at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Cre...1351538163&sr=1-1&keywords=assassin's+creed+3. It was about $24 a day or two ago, so it's possible that this price point won't last long.

Piggyback wrote this guide, just as they did the ACII, AC:B, and AC:R guides, and I consider them one of the two best guide makers in the business (along with FuturePress).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Raven6009']$6 cheaper than Best Buy but without the exclusive lithograph. Not sure if it's worth the difference or not.[/QUOTE]
To be more specific, you also have to factor in tax (if you don't pay tax on Amazon) and the gas needed to get to BBY.

You could also try to get BBY to PM this price on the guide in-store. It's YMMV as to whether it will work, but you would get the lithograph in that case. The only potential drawback is that this price could change between now and when you go to the store, so it's up to you whether it's worth the risk.

[quote name='Raven6009']$6 cheaper than Best Buy but without the exclusive lithograph. Not sure if it's worth the difference or not.[/QUOTE]

Actually this is $14 cheaper than Best Buy.
The Hardcover Edition is $34.99 at BB.

Was thinking of PMing this tomorrow, but I might just order it and also get a couple of thos cheap guides to get over $25

First time I'm hearing about an exclusive lithograph from Best Buy....

Is it a separate bonus or inside the packaging? What's featured?

[quote name='Flacksguy']Actually this is $14 cheaper than Best Buy.
The Hardcover Edition is $34.99 at BB.

Was thinking of PMing this tomorrow, but I might just order it and also get a couple of thos cheap guides to get over $25[/QUOTE]

BBY gives you 25% off for buying the guide along with the game. I bet if you're able to PM this the 25% off will still kick in after they total it. Will try it tomorrow when I pick up my LE copy.

[quote name='Flacksguy']Actually this is $14 cheaper than Best Buy.
The Hardcover Edition is $34.99 at BB. [/QUOTE]
Sorry I should have clarified. It's $26 at BB with the purchase of ACIII (25% off).

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']First time I'm hearing about an exclusive lithograph from Best Buy....

Is it a separate bonus or inside the packaging? What's featured?[/QUOTE]
It's pictured in the weekly ad. Probably shrink-wrapped inside the book.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Who spends $21 on a game guide...[/QUOTE]

Obviously, the kind of people who don't mind spending some money to A) get a high-quality, hardcover, collectible, physical item with text AND pictures to flip through, and / or B) support a reputable guide publisher in order to prevent / delay them from going out of the physical print business.

Would I mind if it were cheaper? Hell, no! But I would rather get some discount (here, 40%) off MSRP rather than risk it going OOS and paying more later on. And I would rather pay some money for a physical item, because there would need to be a damn good reason to convince me to pay money for a digital guide.

A more reasonable question would be, "Who spends MSRP on a game guide (when there is a cheaper alternative)?" Or, "Who spends money on a digital game guide?" And even then it depends on preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

If the guide is high quality and its for a game I enjoy, I will.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Obviously, the kind of people who don't mind spending some money to A) get a high-quality, hardcover, collectible, physical item with text AND pictures to flip through, and B) support a reputable guide publisher in order to prevent / delay them from going out of the physical print business.

Would I mind if it were cheaper? Hell, no! But I would rather get some discount (here, 40%) off MSRP rather than risk it going OOS and paying more later on. And I would rather pay some money for a physical item, because there would need to be a damn good reason to convince me to pay money for a digital guide.

A more reasonable question would be, "Who spends MSRP on a game guide (when there is a cheaper alternative)?" Or, "Who spends money on a digital game guide?" And even then it depends on preference.[/QUOTE]

That was not the right explanation. lol Above all, you would buy it because you want to get the most out of your game, and find every crack and crevice there is to find, not because u want to help the publisher who would do fine with or without you buying the book. but thats just me. :shrug:

[quote name='cold_young_thug']That was not the right explanation. lol Above all, you would buy it because you want to get the most out of your game, and find every crack and crevice there is to find, not because u want to help the publisher who would do fine with or without you buying the book. but thats just me. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Granted, not everyone buys guides to support the publisher. But in the case of CE guides, it does factor into my decision to buy, especially for a publisher like Piggyback which doesn't seem as prolific in the States as Brady or Prima.

With sites like GameFAQs and youtube (for video walkthroughs), I'm fairly sure paperback guides in general have seen a decrease in sales over the last decade. Maybe CE guides haven't been hit quite as hard (since they're geared towards collectors), but I still think it would be a shame if publishers stopped creating physical CE guides entirely. But since I have no idea what their profit margins are like, I could be entirely wrong.

What are the odds I can get a pm at BB and then use my welcome coupon for 50% off a guide? I don't have too high of hopes, but it would be a great deal if it worked. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this.

[quote name='linkbear']What are the odds I can get a pm at BB and then use my welcome coupon for 50% off a guide? I don't have too high of hopes, but it would be a great deal if it worked. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this.[/QUOTE]Probably nonexistent since that would be considered double-dipping.

so will BB pm this tomorrow when the guide is released? If I survive the storm I'm gonna check it out.

[quote name='Vigilante']Jumped back up to $23.09. Still 34% off, but slightly less of a deal. :\[/QUOTE]
It's back down to $20.99 again. I love piggyback guides they are great content and quality wise compared to prima and bradygames.

i've stopped buying these because i simply don't use them. Modern games have so many assists and things to help you find everything there's no point.

[quote name='jer7583']i've stopped buying these because i simply don't use them. Modern games have so many assists and things to help you find everything there's no point.[/QUOTE]
Most people who buy these hardcover guides do so for the illustrations and to collect them. I doubt anyone is buying this for in-game help.

[quote name='Raven6009']Most people who buy these hardcover guides do so for the illustrations and to collect them. I doubt anyone is buying this for in-game help.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much this^. If you want in-game help, most trophy/achievement guides cover everything in the game online.

Pics of the BB exclusive lithograph.

25u16hl.jpg
dzck9i.jpg

izayqv.jpg

Yeah, I don't get it for a game like this. Long ago when they hid all the feathers or w/e nonsense collectibles it sort of made sense, but now they have maps you can buy in-game to highlight them all. That and internet works well enough.

I can't say for sure about this one, but the past CE guides for the series have had pretty large chunks devoted specifically to explain the story with information and speculation that was actually useful and interesting. If you're into that crazyness it was totally worth it for that, although I'm not sure if anything in there is any better or worthwhile if you also have the Encyclopedia.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Granted, not everyone buys guides to support the publisher. But in the case of CE guides, it does factor into my decision to buy, especially for a publisher like Piggyback which doesn't seem as prolific in the States as Brady or Prima.

With sites like GameFAQs and youtube (for video walkthroughs), I'm fairly sure paperback guides in general have seen a decrease in sales over the last decade. Maybe CE guides haven't been hit quite as hard (since they're geared towards collectors), but I still think it would be a shame if publishers stopped creating physical CE guides entirely. But since I have no idea what their profit margins are like, I could be entirely wrong.[/QUOTE]
This. I buy all Piggyback CE guides at release because they're simply such good guides, in terms of walkthroughs but also art and layout and overall quality. They're really nice books to have in my collection. I wish Piggyback would take over the guide business here in the US. Prima and Brady are way too hit or miss, and usually, even if the guide is good, the layout is worse.

I'm so unhappy that RE6 was done by Prima, when Piggyback's RE5 guide was amazing.

Got mine at BB, used the 50% off guide coupon that was going to expire on 11/3. Lithograph is pretty cool. I haven't opened up the map yet.

[quote name='buckythekat']waiting on my preorder price protection guarantee but still nothing from Amazon...[/QUOTE]If you don't have anything from them by Thursday evening, email/call/chat them and get the price difference back.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, I don't get it for a game like this. Long ago when they hid all the feathers or w/e nonsense collectibles it sort of made sense, but now they have maps you can buy in-game to highlight them all. That and internet works well enough.[/QUOTE]

I collect hardcover guides, especially best buy exclusives and AC guides. I have every hardcover for the AC series, every best buy version if available. I do not use these as that's what the internet is for, I just buy anything and everything AC.

Are the map poster and history vs story section also best buy exclusives? I ordered from Amazon, but I might return it and pick it up from BB if there are multiple exclusive perks.

[quote name='Thrakker']Are the map poster and history vs story section also best buy exclusives? I ordered from Amazon, but I might return it and pick it up from BB if there are multiple exclusive perks.[/QUOTE]

Just the numbered lithograph pictured above. Only best buy has an exclusive.

How do you get the lithograph from BestBuy? I stopped in the day the hard cover was released and they said they didn't have any of the hard cover, they only had the soft cover. I just think the guy didn't feel like price matching. So I went to Wal Mart and paid the full price for the hard cover. I went back to Best Buy today, 2 days later, to see about the lithograph and they said it was only a pre order bonus and they didn't have any left. But they actually had a hard cover so I made them price match it with Amazon. Now I have to return the one I bought from Wal Mart. These guys are retarded.

[quote name='strizay']How do you get the lithograph from BestBuy? I stopped in the day the hard cover was released and they said they didn't have any of the hard cover, they only had the soft cover. I just think the guy didn't feel like price matching. So I went to Wal Mart and paid the full price for the hard cover. I went back to Best Buy today, 2 days later, to see about the lithograph and they said it was only a pre order bonus and they didn't have any left. But they actually had a hard cover so I made them price match it with Amazon. Now I have to return the one I bought from Wal Mart. These guys are retarded.[/QUOTE]

From what I saw, even the softcover Assassin's Creed III guide at Best Buy should have a sticker on the front which says "includes Best Buy exclusive lithograph" or thereabouts.

I'm assuming it's the same lithograph? Also assuming that it's inside the packaging for the guide. Unless Best Buy has multiple versions of these guides laying around...

I haven't opened the wrapper on the guide from either, but like you said, on the best buy sticker it says bonus limited numbered concept lithograph on fine art paper. Is the lithograph inside the wrapping? The Walmart version has the other extras listed except for the lithograph.

[quote name='strizay']How do you get the lithograph from BestBuy? I stopped in the day the hard cover was released and they said they didn't have any of the hard cover, they only had the soft cover. I just think the guy didn't feel like price matching. So I went to Wal Mart and paid the full price for the hard cover. I went back to Best Buy today, 2 days later, to see about the lithograph and they said it was only a pre order bonus and they didn't have any left. But they actually had a hard cover so I made them price match it with Amazon. Now I have to return the one I bought from Wal Mart. These guys are retarded.[/QUOTE]

They lied. My best buy doesn't even carry the softcover, and they have tons of the exclusive guide. I believe they ONLY stock the exclusive hardcover.

that's what I was thinking too. is the lithograph inside the wrapping or is it something separate?

[quote name='strizay']Sweet, thanks Bro for confirming this. I really didn't want to unwrap it.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, why do you care then? Do you just like the idea of it being there? For all you know, you didn't get one.

bread's done
Back