What do you shave with?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Dr.Zoidberg

Dr.Zoidberg

Death by Snu-Snu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

After using the electric shaver, I don't know if I will go back to a razor after I get off these meds. The first shave wasn't so great but I blame myself since I had a decent beard and should have used my trimmer first but have been using the electric since last week and I am impressed. Overall, I would give it an 8. There are parts of my face that seem just as smooth as with a razor but there are a couple of tough areas but I took others advice and go back over my face lightly with a razor and that seems to work really good. I am going to try some pre-shave lotions/oils and see if they help at all.
Sheriff Lucas Buck: Conscience is just the fear of getting caught.

Tyler Durden: We have jobs we dont like to buy sh!t we don't need

#32 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Anyone here do wetshaving? I'm slowly transitioning into it from using disposables.

I'm using a Merkur double edged w/ Feather blades. I've tried a lot of stuff since my beard a real chore to deal with, and that's defnitely the combo I've had the most success with. Plus I'm saving a lot of money buying the Feather blades vs your usual triple/quadruple blade setups.

Takes a little bit of practice to perfect the wet shave, but if you're already in the process it shouldn't be too bad, just a matter of taking your time. Make sure you're using quality stuff for your lather (ie stuff you mix yourself, not the usual Barbasol stuff from a can) for beat results. There are plenty of Youtube vids on it that help a bit, after you get over he fact you're watching some dude in his bathroom grooming himself.

Edited by KaneRobot, 06 November 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#33 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Soap and disposable razors. I only shave once a week, since my stubble takes a while to grow after the initial "5 o'clock."

Batsugunner.png

#34 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I am going to try some pre-shave lotions/oils and see if they help at all.

I find the Williams Lectric Shave oil helps some. Stiffens the hairs to stand up and go in an electric razor a little better.

#35 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

[stuff]

Have you tried a straight razor at all? There's a lot of positive buzz about Merkur stuff everywhere I go when I research this stuff. I've gotten really annoyed with using disposables because they don't give me a close shave, and decided it's got to be a combination of technique and the equipment.

Straight razors seem classy, but perhaps more difficult to use. Safety razors seem more common and there's tons of helpful information (as you said, the youtube videos, which was a funny comment by the way). Basically I feel like I need to start using something more - for lack of a better word - manly.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#36 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I use safety blades - it is the official cheapass way to go. I don't use a straight razor because I don't want to slice my head off.

Every other month or so I'll nick myself but I don't care, I'm not going to get ripped off by Gilette or Schick. Some of the nicks are pretty rough though, I won't lie...

#37 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I use a Merkur Single Blade 180 safety blade, and I have to say it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It costs about $35 and replacing the blades are $5 for a pack of 10. In the long run it becomes cheaper replacing blades than buying those Fusion or Mach 5 replacments at $15 for only 3 or 4 blades. That shit's expensive.

It's sharp as hell. I hacked my face up a couple times getting used to it. But once you get the hang of it it'll be the closest shave you'll ever have. Just remember to take your time and work slow and the stubles will comes off like slicing through hot butter. It has a nice weight to it being stainless steal. It feels great to wield like a samurai with his katana.

#38 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I just tried the Fusion Pro Glide (was using Fusion), and it does seem to be better. I find that the Fusion ones last far longer than disposable razors. So the cost ends up probably about the same (I haven't actually got numbers for you - just a feeling :), but the shave is better and there's a bit less waste too (you're only tossing out the cartridge, and doing so far less often).

In case it's not obvious, you can use the pro glide carts on the original Fusion handle. I have the battery one.

#39 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

If you have a Costco (and I imagine Sam's Club as well) membership, that's a good place to get Fusion blades since it's a good bit cheaper to buy in bulk and be set for a while.