Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Best Buy [Unlocked] $20 RZ Cert. Pre-order Promo (Splinter Cell: Blacklist, GTA V, South Park: The Stick of Truth)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4216 replies to this topic

Poll: Which games are you pre-ordering? (3411 member(s) have cast votes)

Which games are you pre-ordering?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#961 Zolor23

Zolor23

Hey there.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

elessar, too poor, zolor and dumplestiltskin - you know spam when you see it. Don't try and be cute... REPORT it rather than try and be funny and quote and/or react to it. that only makes our job harder by having to clean up your nonsense as well.

I apologize. Where is the report button?

#962 outerlimit

outerlimit

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Looks like I'll be canceling GoW Ascension and Injustice preorders from Amazon and getting them from Best Buy. Especially since Amazon doesn't give the credits to people who buy the CE/LEs.

May also preorder Last of Us, Dead Island Riptide, and GTA V. Haven't fully decided on those yet.

#963 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I apologize. Where is the report button?

It's to the immediate-left of the Quote button on a given post (technically next to the Edit button on one of your posts).

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps2: Shadow Hearts: Covenant :ps3: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle  :vita: Doki Doki Universe; One Piece: Unlimited World RED
Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [7/28]: :ps3: MGS2 HD [Extreme] (5/5)

Last Watched Film [7/10]: One Piece: Strong World (superb animation, awesome battles)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#964 Zolor23

Zolor23

Hey there.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

It's to the immediate-left of the Quote button on a given post (technically next to the Edit button on one of your posts).

I see, I'll be sure to report if I see spam next time.

#965 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

So what's the consensus on Crysis 3? PO now for the $20 and hope to PM at least $10 off, or wait for the inevitable price drop? The mp beta has been pretty disappointing. Far Cry 3 is amazing though, so the campaign could be a lot of fun.

I don't get why people keep asking the same ? in general, there is zero risk, none just don't open the game. If it doesn't drop to your buy price in 30/60 days return it. You can only backtrack this b/c if u don't get in the pre-order & the next weeks ad leaks then what u cant get $20 then. Play it smart stop overthinking it.

#966 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

I don't get why people keep asking the same ? in general, there is zero risk, none just don't open the game. If it doesn't drop to your buy price in 30/60 days return it. You can only backtrack this b/c if u don't get in the pre-order & the next weeks ad leaks then what u cant get $20 then. Play it smart stop overthinking it.

Not everybody has the time to continually return items to Best Buy nor does everyone want to spend $60 up front for a game, all the while trying to pay attention to when a price finally drops, if at all. A $20 cert is also not equal in value to getting a game for $40, even if you buy stuff from Best Buy on a regular basis.

I get that you spend hours every day returning things to Best Buy and price matching per your previous posts, but please consider that many other people don't have the free time nor the interest in spending lots of time and gas in exchange for fairly small compensation. Personally, I only have the games I really want to have at launch pre-ordered under this promotion. Anything more would be a waste of time and money IMHO.

#967 ninjabenja

ninjabenja

Where do I put my title?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

BioShock Infinite is finally available for in-store pickup if anyone else was waiting to put their preorder in for that reason.

Is anyone able to pre-order the PS3 regular edition with in-store pickup?

#968 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Not everybody has the time to continually return items to Best Buy nor does everyone want to spend $60 up front for a game, all the while trying to pay attention to when a price finally drops, if at all. A $20 cert is also not equal in value to getting a game for $40, even if you buy stuff from Best Buy on a regular basis.

I get that you spend hours every day returning things to Best Buy and price matching per your previous posts, but please consider that many other people don't have the free time nor the interest in spending lots of time and gas in exchange for fairly small compensation. Personally, I only have the games I really want to have at launch pre-ordered under this promotion. Anything more would be a waste of time and money IMHO.

Your a smart gamer/shopper & knowing that you know u don't need alot of time to make this work this thread alone cuts out most of the work. I shop at BB for far more than games & return very few things I pm a lot though & it doesn't take hrs or use alot of gas there's 8 BB's near me daily.

Put it this way there's 2 choices
Be the person who plays it smart & pre-orders all the games during 1 trip to BB for $60 or less, wait for the next week ad to leak on CAG prior to buying & at least be in position to get the best deal.

or

Be the person posting "damn I knew I should've done the BB deal b/c game was certainly going to be on sale in 30/60 days now I guess I just wait for a cheaper price or buy it for the same price you guys are pm'ing".

Do you see more people in these threads happy with the pm's or upset that they passed? Go with the majority you'll win.

#969 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

I was asking more about CAG's opinion of the game than getting a good deal. Crysis 3 doesn't seem very popular in the poll, and the mp beta isn't so great. I usually only PO games I know will be good like Bioshock Infinite, but I think this one could go either way. Guess I'll PO now and wait for reviews before opening.

#970 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

Your a smart gamer/shopper & knowing that you know u don't need alot of time to make this work this thread alone cuts out most of the work. I shop at BB for far more than games & return very few things I pm a lot though & it doesn't take hrs or use alot of gas there's 8 BB's near me daily.

Put it this way there's 2 choices
Be the person who plays it smart & pre-orders all the games during 1 trip to BB for $60 or less, wait for the next week ad to leak on CAG prior to buying & at least be in position to get the best deal.

or

Be the person posting "damn I knew I should've done the BB deal b/c game was certainly going to be on sale in 30/60 days now I guess I just wait for a cheaper price or buy it for the same price you guys are pm'ing".

Do you see more people in these threads happy with the pm's or upset that they passed? Go with the majority you'll win.

Disagree. The smart move is to only buy what you're going to actually play and enjoy and then find the best deal on that item. Buying a game and avoiding opening it for 60 days is foolish. If you can wait 60 days, why not wait another 30-60 days for a more significant price drop?

Remember, you're paying $60 plus tax in many areas for each game. The $20 cert is nice, but even if you get a chain going, you're still spending $40+ on subsequent games and price matches are not a sure thing.

This thread and many others are full of people who buy into these deals and then dump the games in a lengthy backlog which results in the game dropping to far less than they paid even with the BB deal 3-6 months later when they actually get to it.

Personally, I think the Best Buy deal is good for games you know you want at launch, but buying games for the sake of buying them and then planning to spend time doing PMs and other time consuming activities is something most of us don't have the extra time or interest to invest in. It's cool that you have time, but gas is still $4 where I live and even a Best Buy 8 miles away involves an hour of my time including travel and then dealing with the employees. My time is worth a lot more than the minimum wage I'll recover constantly price matching and if your's isn't, perhaps it's time to rethink where you're at in life.

#971 knight19

knight19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

I don't think most people would argue that - if you have GCU - pre-ordering a game is the way to go if it's eligible for the $20 promo and you wanted it before it hit $10-$20 some day (used or otherwise). Last year, most of the games I bought ended up almost free after the $20 GC, selling the DLC (exclusive or otherwise), and price matches. Having said, I still ordered DS3 and Crysis 3 from Amazon. BBY can be a major headache with PMs, particularly on the phone, though in-person wasn't much fun either (incorrect PMs costing you the $20 promo, which you then have to call a CSR to fix). On the phone, I regularly lost the connection (from a cell or landline), and more than once I was on the phone for 40+ minutes (one time was 90+ minutes), with at least one of those times resulting in no PM (being transferred to another CSR after 90+ mins who said they don't price match after all). So...yeah. I'll save the stress and lose whatever the PM difference turns out to be (for the games Amazon also offers $20 on). Just my $.02, every one is welcome to their own opinion.

#972 finstersucks

finstersucks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

can someone point me to a review of dead space 3? I can't find one. I wasn't a fan of both 1 & 2, so a review may change my mind

#973 sninh

sninh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Disagree. The smart move is to only buy what you're going to actually play and enjoy and then find the best deal on that item. Buying a game and avoiding opening it for 60 days is foolish. If you can wait 60 days, why not wait another 30-60 days for a more significant price drop?

Remember, you're paying $60 plus tax in many areas for each game. The $20 cert is nice, but even if you get a chain going, you're still spending $40+ on subsequent games and price matches are not a sure thing.

This thread and many others are full of people who buy into these deals and then dump the games in a lengthy backlog which results in the game dropping to far less than they paid even with the BB deal 3-6 months later when they actually get to it.

Personally, I think the Best Buy deal is good for games you know you want at launch, but buying games for the sake of buying them and then planning to spend time doing PMs and other time consuming activities is something most of us don't have the extra time or interest to invest in. It's cool that you have time, but gas is still $4 where I live and even a Best Buy 8 miles away involves an hour of my time including travel and then dealing with the employees. My time is worth a lot more than the minimum wage I'll recover constantly price matching and if your's isn't, perhaps it's time to rethink where you're at in life.

I pre ordered everything the last promo and I got a pm on every item and managed to come out ahead with all of them. I had the games shipped to my house so no gas wasted and I just did something else while I was waiting on the phone to pm so no time was waisyed either

#974 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Why dont more of us get the games shipped vs going into the store to pickup? You get to pm over the phone and don't have to drive anywhere. I feel like its easier to pm this way and if you get a "bad rep" you just hang up and call back. With people placing these games into a backlog or reselling them i feel like its the way to do it.

Edit:@sninh good timing.

#975 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

can someone point me to a review of dead space 3? I can't find one. I wasn't a fan of both 1 & 2, so a review may change my mind

EA probably have the reviews embargoed until release, since I'm not seeing any critic reviews up on metacritic.

#976 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

Everything in your last paragraph sounds like it would be alleviated by online purchases. And if any CAG is buying games to immediately put in a huge backlog, maybe they should rethink their spending habits, unless the game is at risk of going OOP or something.

#977 Dund3r

Dund3r

You can't handle my undivided attention.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

The smart move (if you have the cash and I recommend being Silver status) is to do the following (my method adapted from Enuf):

1. Buy all the eligible games online and ship them to you (free expedited shipping for Silver members)
2. Keep the ones you want, sell the ones you don't want for $40-50 online on release day
3. Watch CAG for upcoming deals and pricematch over the phone since you bought online (thus eliminating the $4/gallon gas issue). These games WILL drop in price certainly within 60 days, likely within 30 days if you're not Silver status.

Bottom line: 13 x $20 = $260 RZ certificates + all those RZ points from the game purchases

Listen to people like Enuf - they know what they are talking about.

#978 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Yeah, Enuf's idea is pretty good. Except I couldnt find a good place to sell the new releases. Mostly due to high tax rates, and eBay/Paypal combo rape :(

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#979 kelo360

kelo360

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

I was asking more about CAG's opinion of the game than getting a good deal. Crysis 3 doesn't seem very popular in the poll, and the mp beta isn't so great. I usually only PO games I know will be good like Bioshock Infinite, but I think this one could go either way. Guess I'll PO now and wait for reviews before opening.

I'm likely in the minority but I love the Crysis 3 beta on PS3. It feels like a faster Killzone 3 in my opinion and I really like the weapons I'm unlocking. I just wish it didn't come out during such a busy month. I have a feeling I'm getting Aliens for valentines day... And God of War and Bioshock is right around the corner. So I'm leaning toward buy but I know I still have a huge backlog.

#980 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

The smart move (if you have the cash and I recommend being Silver status) is to do the following (my method adapted from Enuf):

1. Buy all the eligible games online and ship them to you (free expedited shipping for Silver members)
2. Keep the ones you want, sell the ones you don't want for $40-50 online on release day
3. Watch CAG for upcoming deals and pricematch over the phone since you bought online (thus eliminating the $4/gallon gas issue). These games WILL drop in price certainly within 60 days, likely within 30 days if you're not Silver status.

Bottom line: 13 x $20 = $260 RZ certificates + all those RZ points from the game purchases

Listen to people like Enuf - they know what they are talking about.

100% the way to go. I usually list the games up for $50 on cl and have them come to me (i do work in downtown sf so that does help) .

I would also add 2 things.

1.Sell the po bonuses you get on ebay, most are worth 10 to $30 (worth it even with the fees).

2. Get a pitch in card. If you do any trade in or buy any deals with gc's it is really easy to add them to your pitch in card online. Once you have you credit in one place it is even easier to pm online or in store. You will always know where the credit is going to and the card is replaceable so if you lose it your credit is safe.

#981 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

100% the way to go. I usually list the games up for $50 on cl and have them come to me (i do work in downtown sf so that does help) .

I would also add 2 things.

1.Sell the po bonuses you get on ebay, most are worth 10 to $30 (worth it even with the fees).

2. Get a pitch in card. If you do any trade in or buy any deals with gc's it is really easy to add them to your pitch in card online. Once you have you credit in one place it is even easier to pm online or in store. You will always know where the credit is going to and the card is replaceable so if you lose it your credit is safe.

I tried using Enuf's idea like you did, but often times I sell on CL, I get shady phone calls saying he can only pick up at 10:00PM in downtown LA or something. And I'm a such coward that I usually back out...

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#982 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

A shooter that allows you to go invisible for long amounts of time isn't a fun one, so I'm passing playing on this one. The single player will be the same in a year when it's bargain bin priced if you want to play that.

I tried using Enuf's idea like you did, but often times I sell on CL, I get shady phone calls saying he can only pick up at 10:00PM in downtown LA or something. And I'm a such coward that I usually back out...

You're the one with the item. Tell them to meet you at a mall during the day or no go.

#983 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Why are you insulting people? Maybe YOU should think about where in life you are if you cannot even have a silly debate about video game deals without backhanded comments.

I'm sorry, but the guy is constantly going on about how everyone should buy everything and either flip it on Craigslist or drive from Best Buy to Best Buy getting price matches and adjustments. My point was simply that such an approach isn't practical for many people and his sweeping statements about what other people should be doing are inappropriate. There is nothing wrong with waiting for a game to drop in price which they almost all eventually do, especially the ones included in this deal. I'm here for sharing deals on things I'm actually going to buy, not to be advised on how to profit from flipping, repeatedly abusing price match policies or Craigslist reselling.

#984 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

No reason to do that. I make sure to post where i am located and that you can pick up from 8am to 4pm. price firm. Location firm. First come first serve. If anyone emails me trying to change the plan i ignore them.

You have the power!

#985 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

A shooter that allows you to go invisible for long amounts of time isn't a fun one, so I'm passing playing on this one. The single player will be the same in a year when it's bargain bin priced if you want to play that.

You're the one with the item. Tell them to meet you at a mall during the day or no go.

No reason to do that. I make sure to post where i am located and that you can pick up from 8am to 4pm. price firm. Location firm. First come first serve. If anyone emails me trying to change the plan i ignore them.

You have the power!

You guys are right. No more Mr. Nice Guy :devil:

Mathematically Correct.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#986 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

for those of you who are interested in alien:colonial marines, here is a more in depth look at it. It is most gameplay

#987 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

for those of you who are interested in alien:colonial marines, here is a more in depth look at it. It is most gameplay

This game has so much hype and yet here I sit hoping that this video was still a demo version and not the final. (Didn't watch the video with the sound on) From what I have seen so far, customization looks great. Character models / movement very very sloppy. CG work, terrible. AI looks pretty dumb (assuming they were playing on at least a normal difficulty)

Worth $60? Definitely not.

xivpads.png

#988 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Does a significant portion of people under 30 even care about the aliens license?

#989 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

I see, I'll be sure to report if I see spam next time.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Report ALL the problems!

Pfft. Tell them to meet YOU at the local Police Department or Sheriff's Office parking lot. It's public property. No safer place.

Edited by guinaevere, 05 February 2013 - 04:30 AM.

gwensigol8.png

#990 drStaton

drStaton

FEED ME A STRAY CAT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

has anyone else had their south park pre-order cancelled?

i got an email a few weeks ago saying it had been put on back order and told me that i could cancel it if i didn't want to wait. then the next day i got another email saying that it was a mistake and my order would arrive on time. theni just got another email yesterday saying that it was on back order again and they went ahead and cancelled my order.