Black Friday / Brown Thursday Video Game Deals 2012 - Best Of Guide in 2nd Post

• Please log in to reply
6288 replies to this topic

#3121 superhippy1986

superhippy1986

Collecting Panties

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Trying the layaway thing at Walmart later today. I am willing to risk $5 NOT to get injured or stressed out on Thursday.

I'm afraid of getting stressed out over wondering if your layaway plan will work flawlessly. I plan on calling their customer service and asking them how would employees working get the deals? Lol

I hope today(it's 6am) amazon shows some normal deals because I really don't want to go to Walmart tomorrow. Feel like I should get my will together and kiss my loved ones goodbye.

#3122 Kay_Faraday

Kay_Faraday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

ew nothing good today on amazon

#3123 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Whats sad is I went in and put some games on layaway. Was told by the electronics supervisor that my plan would work fine and had been done by employees plenty of times. I paid the $31 minimum payment and started to walk out when the store manager came up.

He saw what I had did and forced the cashier to reverse the transaction and I explained to him both the official site and walmarts facebook page said that what I was doing was legit. He again proceeded to say no and that basically what he says as manager is what flies and not what the website says cause its run from a different person.

I was really upset, especially since I basically lost $5 for nothing. Yes its only $5 but still it was really upsetting, like an added sucker punch to the situation.

For people to keep trying to confirm and confirm is just putting obstacles in the way that would not otherwise be there. They can't say no if you don't ask. No need to say a single word when you go to pick up the games. The register will automatically give the sale price.

Do not call a regional manager before the sale. Go do it at a different Walmart but don't utter a peep. You might create a situation for other BF Layaway shoppers. Say anything you want after the sale. Keep your rejected receipt, you can show it to corporate later.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#3124 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Whats sad is I went in and put some games on layaway. Was told by the electronics supervisor that my plan would work fine and had been done by employees plenty of times. I paid the $31 minimum payment and started to walk out when the store manager came up.

He saw what I had did and forced the cashier to reverse the transaction and I explained to him both the official site and walmarts facebook page said that what I was doing was legit. He again proceeded to say no and that basically what he says as manager is what flies and not what the website says cause its run from a different person.

I was really upset, especially since I basically lost $5 for nothing. Yes its only $5 but still it was really upsetting, like an added sucker punch to the situation.

you should find out his name and blast him in one of those employee surveys...get corporate involved and they'll go after him. He cost his store a customer and thats the last thing corporate wants to see around the holidays.

I still havent decided if I want to attempt layaway at my Walmart today (I went over the weekend and after waiitng 15 minutes for an employee to show up just left), can anybody confirm that I would be okay to pick up my games at 5-5:30 on Friday since I have to work all day?

#3125 superhippy1986

superhippy1986

Collecting Panties

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I like how nobody here is concerned about a strike that may happen on Black Friday at Walmart. Funny if you all do the layaway and the layaway people and most working are striking lol

#3126 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I like how nobody here is concerned about a strike that may happen on Black Friday at Walmart. Funny if you all do the layaway and the layaway people and most working are striking lol

The problem is not the number of employees. There are not enough registers to process a crowd this size all at once. Strike or not they will have more than enough employees to man all the registers. Just not enough registers.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#3127 LazyTriangle

LazyTriangle

flashbang dance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hmm i was actually hoping for a deal on a DSi, DSlite or something. I wanted to get one for my niece. Preferably a pink one. Im surprised they're not making one to clear them out. I know my targets around here still have some. I think my BBY has a few in the cage too. a $75 one would be great. Anyone think theres any hope of that? Maybe not BF, but around the holidays?

Anyway, that aside, I had a quick question. For Best Buy sales. Can you order online and set it up for an in store pickup? Will that work? I'm sure its been asked but i skimmed the last few pages and didn't see it

Kmart will have the DSi for $80 tomorrow starting at 8PM, you have to be a SYW member to get it at that price though

T9rTk6Q.gif

#3128 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

General consensus is that they previously had the 1600 MSP, but then changed it to the 3 months of XBL and will have that one on sale instead of the 1600 MSP.

It's because "Target" and "video game deal" don't go together in a sentence and Target always wants to remind us of that.

Wow, I'm not even going to bother with Target now.

seanr1221.png

#3129 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

The Target I work at shows the 1600 points card for $10. Here's the kicker though: It's through a photocopied version of the ad with the DPCI numbers attached to every item. I don't know what the original ad looks like because the managers are apparently keeping it hidden so no one can see it until today (a first since the 8 years I've worked there.)

Yet Sunday's ad is fine to look at. Most of it is "free gift card with a purchase" stuff.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#3130 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

you should find out his name and blast him in one of those employee surveys...get corporate involved and they'll go after him. He cost his store a customer and thats the last thing corporate wants to see around the holidays.

I still havent decided if I want to attempt layaway at my Walmart today (I went over the weekend and after waiitng 15 minutes for an employee to show up just left), can anybody confirm that I would be okay to pick up my games at 5-5:30 on Friday since I have to work all day?

I'll agree with this gentlemen. That's incredibly disrespectful of the employee.

While I know what the Walmart Facebook CSR and past-experiences say, here's what I know about it:

Yes, It should work, with absolutely no interaction on your part other than going up to Layaway and saying "HEY, I'd like to cash out my layaway". The register takes price-reductions automatically. But be sure to check your store's Layaway hours (Some stores aren't opening theirs on Friday at ALL; but, say, my store is opening it at 9AM Friday morning), because you can not cash out a Layaway at a regular register.

This isn't as big of a deal at people are making it out to be: Most of the BF items are "special" with different UPCs and model numbers specifically for BF, making this tip only really good for the movies and video games.....Not even the Xbox/PS3/Vita bundles will be out on the floor (or, shouldn't be. You never know, it is Walmart!) until BF.

#3131 Dund3r

Dund3r

You can't handle my undivided attention.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but isn't there a retailer with Microsoft Points on sale? Can anyone confirm which retailer it was for me please?

Edit: NM, I see the posts above me about Target possibly changing the Microsoft Points to the 3 month XBL card...booooo.....
"People who buy things are suckers." - Ron Swanson

#3132 Lordd_G

Lordd_G

90's Gamer 4 Life!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

^ It was Target.

It's because "Target" and "video game deal" don't go together in a sentence and Target always wants to remind us of that.

:grouphug: Not only are we cheap gamers, but we're also asses! :grouphug:

#3133 thundarr

thundarr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Question - I just called two local Wal-marts and they both said that Layaway was closing down at 8 pm or before Thanksgiving night and wouldn't be opening until 8 am the next morning (one said POSSIBLY before). So, does that mean that I'm basically screwed as far as using this technique to secure the BF deals?

#3134 kellte2

kellte2

Powerful Stroke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Question - I just called two local Wal-marts and they both said that Layaway was closing down at 8 pm or before Thanksgiving night and wouldn't be opening until 8 am the next morning (one said POSSIBLY before). So, does that mean that I'm basically screwed as far as using this technique to secure the BF deals?

In a word: yes.

#3135 starwar1

starwar1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

In a word: yes.

Or in another word, maybe.

If the deal ends before the desk reopens, tough potatoes. Games seem to be ending at 11:59 pm on Friday.

#3136 htz

htz

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

The Target I work at shows the 1600 points card for $10. Here's the kicker though: It's through a photocopied version of the ad with the DPCI numbers attached to every item. I don't know what the original ad looks like because the managers are apparently keeping it hidden so no one can see it until today (a first since the 8 years I've worked there.)

Yet Sunday's ad is fine to look at. Most of it is "free gift card with a purchase" stuff.

It probably is the xbox live card for $10, that is what is being shown in the ad preview on target's own website right now.

#3137 darkjedi187

darkjedi187

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Was just looking for Fall of cybertron. Does Walmart only have the 360 version on sale? That sucks.

#3138 kube00

kube00

Keeping in Cheap since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Any deals on Resident Evil 6?

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#3139 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Number 10 on the Wally World layaway receipt. BOO YAA! :D

#3140 Excast

Excast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I am kinda torn between Amazon and Best Buy this year. Free shipping on everything is definitely making BB more of an attractive option. $8 Dead Island and Assassin's Creed:Revelations doesn't hurt either.

#3141 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

I just got the Wednesday paper here in Saint Louis and the Target ad definitely has the 1600 point card for $10...

#3142 Bub

Bub

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

This might have been answered already and if it was I apologize. I'm new to black friday and was wondering if these deals would work online as well? I'm a little terrified to go in person as I do not want to be trampled on or maced in the face by some psycho lady.

#3143 LUCAS3001

LUCAS3001

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

just to verify, and sorry to beat a dead horse, but the game prices that begin 8 p.m. thursday are valid til friday night?

#3144 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

just to verify, and sorry to beat a dead horse, but the game prices that begin 8 p.m. thursday are valid til friday night?

Aye, laddie.

#3145 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

This might have been answered already and if it was I apologize. I'm new to black friday and was wondering if these deals would work online as well? I'm a little terrified to go in person as I do not want to be trampled on or maced in the face by some psycho lady.

Depends on the retailer. I know Best Buy's online prices usually match up.

#3146 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I just got the Wednesday paper here in Saint Louis and the Target ad definitely has the 1600 point card for $10...

The plot thickens...

#3147 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Any of you looking for a TV, I just got this:http://www.amazon.co...eywords=40E220U for $179 + tax at CompUSA to use as a bedroom TV! RUNNNNNNN and see if your store has some left!!!!!!

http://www.tigerdire...eh1o9JxY30Ot5kw

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#3148 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

The plot thickens...

Agreed. People should be sure to have the ad with them on Friday and hope a correction isn't posted in the store.

#3149 exopuppy

exopuppy

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm puzzled by the setup for Microsoft store deals - better prices in store than online is silly to me, but that's the generally accepted practice so I'll let it slide. But the scans and online info have been saying online AND in store deals start Thursday 11/22 (Wednesday at midnight) while according to this they don't have a single eligible store in the US open on Thursday?
http://content.micro...ackfriday-hours

#3150 malbrax

malbrax

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I would love to see some fable 3 deals !!