Black Friday / Brown Thursday Video Game Deals 2012 - Best Of Guide in 2nd Post

• Please log in to reply
6288 replies to this topic

#1111 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Must admit I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed this year, there's a couple of games I may pick up at BBY but nothing I'm particularly excited about.

Yeah I'm looking for a cheap HDTV, but other than that just a few games.

#1112 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

Someone on here said they removed Samsung products from the bestbuy bf deals anyone know if this is true ? Would the Sameung tvs be doorbusters or will they be online ?

They did remove them from their online "preview" of the add. However they are in the print ad. I'm sure Samsung had something to do with them pulling the pages.

http://bfads.net/

Hoping that the Microsoft Store has some sales also. I remember they matched some of the prices last year that Wal-Mart had.

Me as well, hopefully they will continue their trend

Also waiting waiting on Game Stops ad......

and perhaps Fred Meyer but I'm not really holding any real hopes for good deals from them

#1113 LimeWire

LimeWire

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

GameStop will probably just have a B2G1 sale. I hope Amazon and Newegg will have some really nice deals.

#1114 Kevlar338

Kevlar338

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

They did remove them from their online "preview" of the add. However they are in the print ad. I'm sure Samsung had something to do with them pulling the pages.

http://bfads.net/

Me as well, hopefully they will continue their trend

Also waiting waiting on Game Stops ad......

and perhaps Fred Meyer but I'm not really holding any real hopes for good deals from them

Thanks for confirmation on that just want to snag the 40 in 3D tv

#1115 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

You know, I'm suddenly getting second thoughts about Black Friday. Instead of all the games, I was thinking about going for a new iPod Touch 5th for $294 + $50 GC to replace my lost 4S.

Now I don't want to hear any silly "casual gamer" nonsense here please because that's a big reason why I don't post on GameSpot anymore, but I have spent a lot of time gaming on my 4S and a lot of money on apps. There are now plenty of new apps and games out in addition that I want to invest in.

Then I remembered the PS Vita and it being even cheaper than the iPod Touch. It's a relatively new console with as we all know quite a lack of games, but that's how the DS and PSP started off and they ended up great. I've been kind of disappointed in the two games I got for my 3DS so far (SM3DL and OoT 3D) and want to try the games the Vita has instead (MGS HD, Uncharted, maybe even CoD! :( ) because of the dual analog too.

I already have a PSP 1000 on the way though so that would be easier to get PS1 and PSP games on for cheaper.

TL;DR (although if you really want to help, please read it)

Vita Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified Limited Edition PS Vita Wi-Fi Bundle for new games
vs
iPod Touch 5th for $294 + $50 GC for games I already own + new games

fekhvr.jpg

#1116 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

Here are the GS deals from last year if anyone wants an idea of what this year's ad might look like:

http://bfads.net/GameStop-2011

#1117 LimeWire

LimeWire

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

You know, I'm suddenly getting second thoughts about Black Friday. Instead of all the games, I was thinking about going for a new iPod Touch 5th for $294 + $50 GC to replace my lost 4S.

Isn't the Ipod Touch 5th a doorbuster, so its available only in store?

#1118 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

Isn't the Ipod Touch 5th a doorbuster, so its available only in store?

That wouldn't be an issue to me seeing as I'm not imagining too many people lining up for it right away.

fekhvr.jpg

#1119 LimeWire

LimeWire

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

That wouldn't be an issue to me seeing as I'm not imagining too many people lining up for it right away.

Lucky! I hope Amazon or some other website will price match it because my best buy is going to have tons of campers.

#1120 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Anyone have thoughts on the i7 laptops going on sale? I plan on getting the HP Envy dv6 from Sam's Club for $600. I need a new laptop to upgrade from my Acer AS7741G (i5, 4GB, 2.66GHz). I'm hoping this is a good choice.

http://bfads.net/Sam...B-HDD-dv67247cl

#1121 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Lucky! I hope Amazon or some other website will price match it because my best buy is going to have tons of campers.

Actually I meant even with campers. The iPod Touch is still quite expensive and doesn't have the low price or glamour of something like a 60 inch TV on Black Friday. Even with a bunch of campers like I assume my BB will have standing relatively in the back will still have high chances of getting one at any store.

fekhvr.jpg

#1122 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

I'd rather much enjoy a vita. Go check on amazon warehouse for vitas that are $165 and you could get some great games and gaming device.

#1123 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

I'd rather much enjoy a vita. Go check on amazon warehouse for vitas that are $165 and you could get some great games and gaming device.

Seems to be what I'm aiming for anyways. I get a free game and ten in one kit so for that reason alone $200 (at TRU) seems okay. If only Nihilistic wasn't making CoD.

#1124 FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Late Adopter (2016, baby!)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

Now I don't want to hear any silly "casual gamer" nonsense here please because that's a big reason why I don't post on GameSpot anymore, but I have spent a lot of time gaming on my 4S and a lot of money on apps. There are now plenty of new apps and games out in addition that I want to invest in.

Then I remembered the PS Vita and it being even cheaper than the iPod Touch. It's a relatively new console with as we all know quite a lack of games, but that's how the DS and PSP started off and they ended up great. I've been kind of disappointed in the two games I got for my 3DS so far (SM3DL and OoT 3D) and want to try the games the Vita has instead (MGS HD, Uncharted, maybe even CoD! :( ) because of the dual analog too.

I already have a PSP 1000 on the way though so that would be easier to get PS1 and PSP games on for cheaper.

TL;DR (although if you really want to help, please read it)

Vita Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified Limited Edition PS Vita Wi-Fi Bundle for new games
vs

If I had to choose between the iPod Touch or the PS Vita, I'd get the Vita. I'm not much into handheld consoles or apps, but the Vita will at least have spinoffs from the major gaming franchises, such as Assassin's Creed: Liberation. I'm more tempted by the PS3 bundle, but I bit on a 160gb for $219 in July... and there's no guarantee I would get to a console on Black Friday without camping in line and/or elbowing other shoppers aside in the mad dash for the stack of consoles. Does anyone know if this bundle is the new (Slim 2.0) version? I'd want to avoid getting that; I've heard it isn't as good as the regular Slim.

402833.png FinderKeeperOSX.png

#1125 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Seems to be what I'm aiming for anyways. I get a free game and ten in one kit so for that reason alone $200 (at TRU) seems okay. If only Nihilistic wasn't making CoD.

You should check the new Videos for the game. It's seems like a cod experience. Not the best but enough to play. :)
Gravity Rush, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and Wipeout seem great. Just gotta find the best price.

#1126 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

vs

Honestly, I think part of it comes down to age and intent with what you'll be buying ... do you want a handheld that will be purely for entertainment/ gaming or a device that plays games but also has the potential to do quite a bit more than just gaming. As an older CAG, I would say the iPod Touch is a wiser choice - you already have an investment in the apps, you would be getting a device that's functional beyond simply playing games and you would be getting it at a discount that I can guarantee you won't see for awhile after Black Friday.

I actually want to pick up a Vita eventually, but honestly the Vita is headed towards a price drop at the least or, at the most, complete failure as a device. It's lacking games that make the 3DS more compelling and has suffered because of Sony's desire to keep it firmly under their control without enough dedicated support to allow it to thrive. Trust me when I say they Vita will get a cut after this year ... Sony thinks it can entice new customers with bundles but the Vita doesn't have enough of a base to maintain this strategy and eventually a price cut to $199 with games and even added gift cards or a memory card that's larger are possible.

Just my two cents ...

#1127 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

If I had to choose between the iPod Touch or the PS Vita, I'd get the Vita. I'm not much into handheld consoles or apps, but the Vita will at least have spinoffs from the major gaming franchises, such as Assassin's Creed: Liberation. I'm more tempted by the PS3 bundle, but I bit on a 160gb for $219 in July... and there's no guarantee I would get to a console on Black Friday without camping in line and/or elbowing other shoppers aside in the mad dash for the stack of consoles. Does anyone know if this bundle is the new (Slim 2.0) version? I'd want to avoid getting that; I've heard it isn't as good as the regular Slim.

Thanks, good points all around. I guess the best way I can repay the help is by throwing in my opinion on the new PS3 bundle.

It's the new Slim, but people exaggerate it being "worse." It's slimmer and smaller than the old Slim, but has a slide open disc slot. Imagine it being something like the GameCube or a really old CD player, where if the system breaks, you don't lose your game at the expense of a very ugly looking design (in many people's opinon; I'm indifferent since I own pretty much every fat console and handheld there is).

It also contains my GOTG Uncharted 1 (not 2, 1, you read that right. I'm probably the only person in the world that would say it's a 10 out of 10 and their favorite game this gen along with 2 being slightly disappointed), contains Uncharted 2, and inFamous 1 and 2, which are both critically acclaimed and have many fans even though I think the series is ass.

You should check the new Videos for the game. It's seems like a cod experience. Not the best but enough to play. :)
Gravity Rush, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and Wipeout seem great. Just gotta find the best price.

There is very little at this point that can convince me to play a Nihilistic developed game - they're the definition of scrub designers. That being said, as long as the left stick is for movement and the right for looking, I'm okay with it no matter how barebones it is. I love my iPhone FPS games unlike many people, but I do want to try a true handheld FPS since it's the one of the only genres my iPhone, 3DS, DS, and PSP never completely nailed on a handheld.

fekhvr.jpg

#1128 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Honestly, I think part of it comes down to age and intent with what you'll be buying ... do you want a handheld that will be purely for entertainment/ gaming or a device that plays games but also has the potential to do quite a bit more than just gaming. As an older CAG, I would say the iPod Touch is a wiser choice - you already have an investment in the apps, you would be getting a device that's functional beyond simply playing games and you would be getting it at a discount that I can guarantee you won't see for awhile after Black Friday.

I actually want to pick up a Vita eventually, but honestly the Vita is headed towards a price drop at the least or, at the most, complete failure as a device. It's lacking games that make the 3DS more compelling and has suffered because of Sony's desire to keep it firmly under their control without enough dedicated support to allow it to thrive. Trust me when I say they Vita will get a cut after this year ... Sony thinks it can entice new customers with bundles but the Vita doesn't have enough of a base to maintain this strategy and eventually a price cut to $199 with games and even added gift cards or a memory card that's larger are possible.

Just my two cents ...

Thing is though I had a terrible addiction to the internet with my iPhone too that I was trying to kick, so as a multimedia device, I want something that can play games, play music, and maybe Netflix. A poor browser on the Vita may be a good thing for me in end. I definitely see what you mean about the deal being only on BF which is the reason I troubled you all in the first place. :lol:

I think Sony EU's COO or someone confirmed a price drop next year, but I'm okay with splurging some cash on this good deal and getting it sooner than later. I must respectfully disagree with you on a lot of points though in your second paragraph.

From the Vita's launch, its lineup always looked more interesting to me for some reason, especially compared to the 3DS' first year. I know we're looking at this at a sales perspective in which case you're completely right; it looks better in a typical consumers eyes, but Sony knows that many handhelds had bad first years but were later blessed with games like Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, God of War Chains of Olympus, etc. and I think that's why they're okay with the route it's going.

Sure the competition is much different and Apple is a pain in both Nintendo's and Sony's sides (though we as customers gain from this), but I think the Vita will start going strong in a while

*I actually read your post as "Trust me Vita will get cut after this year" so you can disregard a lot of what I said. Sorry, it was meant more as a response to a "Vita is doomed!" kind of post*:booty:

fekhvr.jpg

#1129 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

No worries, I've just been watching the Vita for a very long time and had planned to get one at launch. What surprised me was that I ended up getting a 3DS first and I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit since. On the other hand, I haven't seen a huge number of Vita games that have sold me on the system and games like AC that I was looking forward to, and just came out, have received mixed reviews.

One last consideration for Vita vs iPod Touch would be the cost of games for the system. $40+ vs $2.99 on average can be difficult to stomach, granted Vita games probably are more full-fledged for the most part. However, unfortunately because of Sony's business model, I don't think you'll see the flexibility on pricing you have in the App store. With Apple at the top of its game in the app marketplace, it's never been more affordable to be an iOS user and get games that are getting closer and closer to a handheld console experience (plus the recent proliferation of bluetooth game pads for iOS doesn't hurt and negates the whole 'touch sucks' argument that is so prevalent).

#1130 Ray5555

Ray5555

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

See I had $250 trade in credit before the AC vita bundle came out. I was thinking about buying it but then my old psp got dust under the screen I decided to buy a new one. I made the mistake of buying a refurb that was either in a fire or burnt. It even looked like the screen was sanded down as when I was cleaning it the cleaning cloth went under the screen. I returned it and decided to buy a new psp. The guy asked me why I showed warped mark from some type of flame, and how the screen didn't look right. I then said I wanted a new psp. He said why the vita is better, I said that maybe but the vita will not play my umd's, and I refuse to pay $100's to rebuy what I already own. Plus there are games on the psp that are not available for the vita. He then said you know they are discontinuing the new psp consoles. I told him yes , hence why I wanted a new one. I was also going to reserve halo 4 and ac3 there but cause of how rude he was I ordered them online.

Long story short the reason I chose a new psp over a vita, cause I didn't want to rebuy my umd games, and there are game son the psp that are not on the vita.

#1131 247

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Do you get a giftcard or straight up $60 off the iPad at BBY?

#1132 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

i wonder what i'd be better off getting:

red 3ds + mario 3d land for $149 or

vita + bo:dec for $199...decisions decisions.

Auen1.png?7125

#1133 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

I can straight up tell you SM3DL is quite a disappointment and can be boring at times.

#1134 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

I second that SM3DL gets old fast .. but I would say the 3DS library is better at this moment in time. With that said, I would probably go with the Vita because I got my 3DS months ago for around $149 at Target and the 3DS XL is probably worth waiting for a price drop closer to the current 3DS price.

Vita is the system with the greater potential, it just desperately needs 3rd party buy in or it's going to fail hard in the next year.

#1135 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

No worries, I've just been watching the Vita for a very long time and had planned to get one at launch. What surprised me was that I ended up getting a 3DS first and I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit since. On the other hand, I haven't seen a huge number of Vita games that have sold me on the system and games like AC that I was looking forward to, and just came out, have received mixed reviews.

One last consideration for Vita vs iPod Touch would be the cost of games for the system. $40+ vs $2.99 on average can be difficult to stomach, granted Vita games probably are more full-fledged for the most part. However, unfortunately because of Sony's business model, I don't think you'll see the flexibility on pricing you have in the App store. With Apple at the top of its game in the app marketplace, it's never been more affordable to be an iOS user and get games that are getting closer and closer to a handheld console experience (plus the recent proliferation of bluetooth game pads for iOS doesn't hurt and negates the whole 'touch sucks' argument that is so prevalent).

I would definitely not go for anything above $30 and buy from Amazon more often than not. I'm also okay with higher prices since its games last longer with MP, being bigger. cross play with GoW1 and 2, etc.

Wish I could finish up some large FF games on my iPhone, but I'll get the PSP versions.

#1136 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

I second that SM3DL gets old fast .. but I would say the 3DS library is better at this moment in time. With that said, I would probably go with the Vita because I got my 3DS months ago for around $149 at Target and the 3DS XL is probably worth waiting for a price drop closer to the current 3DS price.

Vita is the system with the greater potential, it just desperately needs 3rd party buy in or it's going to fail hard in the next year.

Especially with games like Tales, Kid Icarus, RE Revelations, Paper Mario.

#1137 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

I can straight up tell you SM3DL is quite a disappointment and can be boring at times.

Depends on how you feel about not getting the 3DSXL. As someone that had the regular 3DS and upgraded, the XL is worth it. So I would say the Vita now and wait for a good deal on the XL.

And I completely disagree that Mario 3D Land is boring. It's one of my favorite Mario games of all time.
Posted Image

#1138 ThePriceIsRight

ThePriceIsRight

Kupo b*tch!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

Wow @ Walmart.

Anybody know if these deals will be online also? or only in-store?

Want to get NFS:MW for $25 then I'm done.

Edit: Nvm, I'm guessing they'll be online also. I remember couple of BF's ago, they had a bunch of $10 games online....but sold out within minutes after midnight,lol

Edited by ThePriceIsRight, 12 November 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#1139 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

I was disappointed in mario 3d myself. I acually liked reyman origina on the vita much more to tell you the truth. i would get the vita cod bundle over the mario one. If anything you can flip cod online for something you really wwnt to play (unless you acually want to keep cod)
Currently playing
:ps4: watch dogs, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag

games recently beaten: :ps4: infamous second son, call of duty ghosts, killzone shadowfall, knack :ps3: kingdom hearts hd :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#1140 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

Depends on how you feel about not getting the 3DSXL. As someone that had the regular 3DS and upgraded, the XL is worth it. So I would say the Vita now and wait for a good deal on the XL.

And I completely disagree that Mario 3D Land is boring. It's one of my favorite Mario games of all time.

what i was considering doing was getting the older 3ds, then waiting for a newer model to come out (preferably one with two analog sticks) and giving my older one to my wife/son. this way i can also wait to see if they're going to drop the vita price, or if they'll do some sort of redesign. if they had the ass-creed bundle i'd jump on that, but bo:dec doesn't do anything for me.

Auen1.png?7125