Black Friday / Brown Thursday Video Game Deals 2012 - Best Of Guide in 2nd Post

• Please log in to reply
6288 replies to this topic

#1381 RySenkari

RySenkari

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I can vouch for this, I work at Walmart and I had to guard the pallet with the games. I didn't even get to unwrap the pallet before I got bum-rushed by customers and nearly crushed against it while people were unwrapping it.

#1382 bzchanboy

bzchanboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Over the past few years with Walmart they have used a different sku for those items that are on sale by using a sticker. When compared to the other games that are on the shelves their are no other distinctions between the two, as there is no material difference. I've argued a few times that Walmart is using deceptive business practices when it comes to how they handle this. And if I'm not mistaken they are in violation of section 233 of the FTC's deceptive pricing. It states that if there is no psychical difference and both products are available they should be the same price, otherwise it is a fictitious sale in the eyes of the FTC. It wouldn't be a problem if they were give a hard number to the quantity they have available. They also could remove the regularly priced games from the public's view, but they don't.

I wrote Walmart last year about how horrible of an ordeal it was to get the advertised video game products and wrote the FTC. Not to my surprise the FTC was the only one to write me back. So this year I'll be documenting if they will comply with FTC's written documentation that they provided to me. They also noted that the amount of complaints about these fictitious sales have shot up over the years and they are investigating it.

The way they worded their example is true of how Walmart abuses the advertisements in their sales:

"In the same way you would come into a store expecting an advertised sale price, the consumer is not to be expected to pay a different price than that which is advertised.

Example: Consumer walks into a store and in one section they are selling milk for $4.39 a gallon, but in the other part of the store they are advertising the same milk for $3.49. The consumer should be charged $3.49 and not $4.39. Both products are the same and so they should be priced at the advertised price and no higher during the sale period.

The same principle applies for all advertised products of the same material value."

I eagerly await the long lines at Walmart so I can document for myself how they handle this year compared to last. With the larger quantity of games available, I don't see how they can have large amounts of each title available at the advertised price.

#1383 IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Does anyone have an idea about how quick the 360 holiday bundle will last at Best Buy? Do they typically have a lot in stock?

#1384 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I'm kinda scared. Skyrim is in BF ads for $30 a YEAR after release...

#1385 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

So wait, the games in the normal Walmart case won't ring up for the sale price? I thought that was Shipwreck's guide to getting the games you want he talked about on last year's post BF CAGCast?

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#1386 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Does anyone have an idea about how quick the 360 holiday bundle will last at Best Buy? Do they typically have a lot in stock?

In store. Depends highly on the area. Mine had some mid day. Others said they were gone in minutes.

Online. They had some for quite a little while online. They also restocked it online 5 or 6 times throughout the day

#1387 bzchanboy

bzchanboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

So wait, the games in the normal Walmart case won't ring up for the sale price? I thought that was Shipwreck's guide to getting the games you want he talked about on last year's post BF CAGCast?

In order to get the sale price they have to have the sale sku sticker on them which are only put out in the wrapped pallets.

#1388 JP

JP

Member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Got a message from a GameStop employee on CAG who has given information before. Going to have more details tonight hopefully. Will place this information in the first post:

Many games around the same prices as everyone not Walmart has ($30-$40 for many of the big games like EA Sports games, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed, etc.)

B2G1F on used
25% off all refurbished electronics (IPod/IPad/IPhone)
20% extra credit on trades toward refurbished/new electronics
25% bonus trade in credit when trading in 2 games
Double trade in credit on any system
$12.50 3-month Live card
$199.99 AC Creed Liberation Vita bundle
$30 Dead or Alive 5 (only sale on it?)
Used Kinect for $39.99 w/Kinect Adventures free

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#1389 IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

In store. Depends highly on the area. Mine had some mid day. Others said they were gone in minutes.

Online. They had some for quite a little while online. They also restocked it online 5 or 6 times throughout the day

Thanks. I'm hoping to pick one up. Also gonna grab as many 1600 point cards as Target has.

#1390 Yo Mama

Yo Mama

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

No. Customer Service will not even be open on Black Friday and cashiers will not be authorized to do price matches.

I know in the past I have bought stuff at BB, then walked in on black friday around noon to get it price adjusted. I think I have done this as recently as last year. I have a few Skylanders series 1 I will be trying to do this for this year.

Worst case scenario I can imagine is doing a return and rebuy.

#1391 Dylonus

Dylonus

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Got a message from a GameStop employee on CAG who has given information before. Going to have more details tonight hopefully. Will place this information in the first post:

Will B2G1 Free start two days early for Power Up Pro Members like last year??

#1392 JP

JP

Member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Will B2G1 Free start two days early for Power Up Pro Members like last year??

No information on that yet, but possibly. Once I know more I'll update it.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#1393 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hate to throw another question out there but......

Does gamestop have sales on used games? Have a B2G1 coupon I'll probably never use otherwise

edit: guess my coupon will go unused still based on the above posts. nvere been a PUR pro member before
Posted Image

#1394 Trudy

Trudy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

If this is the case, I may actually be going to GameStop. Really want that Assassin's Creed: Liberation bundle!
Posted Image

#1395 Devulture

Devulture

Scavenging the Earth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I hope there's more information than that, because I would really like to see a 3DS XL bundle on sale.

#1396 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hate to throw another question out there but......

Does gamestop have sales on used games? Have a B2G1 coupon I'll probably never use otherwise

edit: guess my coupon will go unused still based on the above posts. nvere been a PUR pro member before

Check the expiration date on your coupon. They're good for 3-4 months after Pro account activiation/renewal.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#1397 3kingdoms

3kingdoms

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Over the past few years with Walmart they have used a different sku for those items that are on sale by using a sticker. When compared to the other games that are on the shelves their are no other distinctions between the two, as there is no material difference. I've argued a few times that Walmart is using deceptive business practices when it comes to how they handle this. And if I'm not mistaken they are in violation of section 233 of the FTC's deceptive pricing. It states that if there is no psychical difference and both products are available they should be the same price, otherwise it is a fictitious sale in the eyes of the FTC. It wouldn't be a problem if they were give a hard number to the quantity they have available. They also could remove the regularly priced games from the public's view, but they don't.

I wrote Walmart last year about how horrible of an ordeal it was to get the advertised video game products and wrote the FTC. Not to my surprise the FTC was the only one to write me back. So this year I'll be documenting if they will comply with FTC's written documentation that they provided to me. They also noted that the amount of complaints about these fictitious sales have shot up over the years and they are investigating it.

The way they worded their example is true of how Walmart abuses the advertisements in their sales:

"In the same way you would come into a store expecting an advertised sale price, the consumer is not to be expected to pay a different price than that which is advertised.

Example: Consumer walks into a store and in one section they are selling milk for $4.39 a gallon, but in the other part of the store they are advertising the same milk for $3.49. The consumer should be charged $3.49 and not $4.39. Both products are the same and so they should be priced at the advertised price and no higher during the sale period.

The same principle applies for all advertised products of the same material value."

I eagerly await the long lines at Walmart so I can document for myself how they handle this year compared to last. With the larger quantity of games available, I don't see how they can have large amounts of each title available at the advertised price.

i knew their advertised prices were too good to be true.
Posted Image

#1398 CommanderShiro

CommanderShiro

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Oh I hope DoA deal is true. Been really hoping for a deal on it.

#1399 oliver2788

oliver2788

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

i hope Gamestop has a PS3 bundle on sale for BF and what are the chances for me to get a PS3 Bundle... no not refurbished

#1400 DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Damn, Wal-Mart sounds crazy...who buys all the games usually? Is it gamers or everyone? Like parents etc.?

#1401 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Damn, Wal-Mart sounds crazy...who buys all the games usually? Is it gamers or everyone? Like parents etc.?

Crazy people.

Most gamers (at least here) are semi smart enough to not go crazy like they do.

#1402 Dylonus

Dylonus

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

My Wal-Mart isn't exactly in a very crowded area. There's a Gamestop literally right by Wal-Mart, so I'll probably go to Wal-Mart to get games.

How does it work? You wait in line then they let you get your stuff? Or do people just bullrush in at 8 PM and get what they can get?

#1403 murph17

murph17

Rock Band addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Brown Thursday?

What color will Wednesday be next year when someone inevitably starts their sales on Wed to get the jump on the Thursday sales?

#1404 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Brown Thursday?

What color will Wednesday be next year when someone inevitably starts their sales on Wed to get the jump on the Thursday sales?

diarrhea yellow/green

Auen1.png?7125

#1405 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

motherf'cker! i'm glad to see the ac:lib vita bundle is going to possibly be on sale somewhere. too bad i did some trade ins at bby in order to diversify, or else i would have been able to get a substantial amount at gs. does anyone have a link to that one thread where they give you the best deals for flipping (e.g. from bby to gs)? or does anyone know what the best games would be to flip right now from bby to gs?

Auen1.png?7125

#1406 Miada

Miada

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

No, they will.

In order to get the sale price they have to have the sale sku sticker on them which are only put out in the wrapped pallets.

No, once again that is incorrect. I got inFamous 2 from the case last year and it rung up $28.00. It does work if you get it from the case.

We really need to put this in the OP.
Forever stuck in Backlog Hell...
http://www.cheapassg...s-backlog-blog/

:ps3: Currently Playing : inFamous 2
:ps4: Currently Playing : Destiny
:vita: Currently Playing : Velocity Ultra, PS4 Remote Play

#1407 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

No, they will.

No, once again that is incorrect. I got inFamous 2 from the case last year and it rung up $28.00. It does work if you get it from the case.

We really need to put this in the OP.

Your experience is NOT universal. Some stores make stickers to put over the original SKUs that are the BF price. Some don't sale any BF games outside of what is set aside (what my store did) etc etc.

#1408 Miada

Miada

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Your experience is NOT universal. Some stores make stickers to put over the original SKUs that are the BF price. Some don't sale any BF games outside of what is set aside (what my store did) etc etc.

Well, that sucks. I hope that people do try it, though. You never know. There were stickers on everything that wasn't in the case.
Forever stuck in Backlog Hell...
http://www.cheapassg...s-backlog-blog/

:ps3: Currently Playing : inFamous 2
:ps4: Currently Playing : Destiny
:vita: Currently Playing : Velocity Ultra, PS4 Remote Play

#1409 JiveT

JiveT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

I would rather go to Walmart on Black Friday than Gamestop they get swamped with every idiot on the planet wanting to trade something in and they only have two registers running if you are lucky

#1410 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I saw the ps3 Holliday bundle at my radio shack. I checked to see if it rang up for the black Friday price but it didnt.
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png