Black Friday / Brown Thursday Video Game Deals 2012 - Best Of Guide in 2nd Post

• Please log in to reply
6288 replies to this topic

#1411 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Your experience is NOT universal. Some stores make stickers to put over the original SKUs that are the BF price. Some don't sale any BF games outside of what is set aside (what my store did) etc etc.

if that happens i would recommend talking to a manager. you can't have two prices on the same exact item. that's illegal.

Auen1.png?7125

#1412 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

if that happens i would recommend talking to a manager. you can't have two prices on the same exact item. that's illegal.

Pretty much.

#1413 Miada

Miada

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yep.
Forever stuck in Backlog Hell...
http://www.cheapassg...s-backlog-blog/

:ps3: Currently Playing : GTA Online, Jeopardy! Ultimate Edition (Digital), Borderlands
:ps4: Currently Playing : Outlast, Resogun, Call Of Duty : Ghosts
:vita: Currently Playing : Flower, Flying Hamster, PS4 Remote Play

#1414 grundy

grundy

Whatevr a spider can

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Ridiculous question: I realize that information pertaining to Gamestop's BF ad is slowly trickling in as of 4:30PM EST, but I was wondering if they, too, would be selling the PS3 Superslim with the 4 games? I would think they would, but sometimes idiocy surprises you :dunce:

Currently playing:
:360: nothing
:3ds: nothing
:pc: nothing
:ps3: Killzone HD

#1415 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Ridiculous question: I realize that information pertaining to Gamestop's BF ad is slowly trickling in as of 4:30PM EST, but I was wondering if they, too, would be selling the PS3 Superslim with the 4 games? I would think they would, but sometimes idiocy surprises you :dunce:

Its likely that is it cause everyone else has it. Usually the retailers change up their bundles a bit but this year its not been seen.

#1416 superhippy1986

superhippy1986

Collecting Panties

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Are you guys saying I could maybe go to my Walmart Thursday like 3 hours before the sale starts and buy all I want for the normal price then take it to customer service and get price adjustments when the sale starts?

Or just get there 3 hours before the sale?
Bethesda Excuse defined..

http://www.urbandict...Bethesda Excuse

#1417 caffeinepirate

caffeinepirate

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

i hope Gamestop has a PS3 bundle on sale for BF and what are the chances for me to get a PS3 Bundle... no not refurbished

I'm also hoping Gamestop has the $199 PS3 bundle because I have a ton of games to trade in, especially with that "trade 2 games get 25% extra store credit" deal that is leaked.

Hopefully someone will get the scoop and post it soon.

#1418 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Are you guys saying I could maybe go to my Walmart Thursday like 3 hours before the sale starts and buy all I want for the normal price then take it to customer service and get price adjustments when the sale starts?

Absolutely no one is saying that.

#1419 superhippy1986

superhippy1986

Collecting Panties

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Absolutely no one is saying that.

Well what time are you going....?
Bethesda Excuse defined..

http://www.urbandict...Bethesda Excuse

#1420 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I assume, Unless they say that the items are in limited quantity.

I'm not even an Internet lawyer so unless we have precedents either way I'm not going to accept any other "it's illegal" advice. But hey if you do then please post precedents and you got my attention.

#1421 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

My Wal-Mart isn't exactly in a very crowded area. There's a Gamestop literally right by Wal-Mart, so I'll probably go to Wal-Mart to get games.

How does it work? You wait in line then they let you get your stuff? Or do people just bullrush in at 8 PM and get what they can get?

Yeah I would also like to know this too. Anyone want to fill us in?

#1422 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

The only way it would possibly be illegal is if you could argue bait and switch. Effectively, you try to get a game like Borderlands 2 during the time of the sale for $25, but they say that one is "sold out", yet they got the copy on the shelf they tell you it is full price. While it is not a different product, it is still a higher priced item than what the ad states. Even though it says "limited quantities", if the particular item is still out on the sales floor, then theoretically it should be sold for the listed price.

If they really don't want to sell more than 5 copies or whatever amount of a product during the sale, then they should take the excess product off of the sales floor. Unless they do, people have a legitimate argument, especially for the games listed in the ad. There are no special SKU/UPC numbers in the ads, they only show the covers for the games and the price. If you want the game in the ad, if they have it on the sales floor and during the time specified for the sale, they should give you the advertised price.
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#1423 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

My Wal-Mart isn't exactly in a very crowded area. There's a Gamestop literally right by Wal-Mart, so I'll probably go to Wal-Mart to get games.

How does it work? You wait in line then they let you get your stuff? Or do people just bullrush in at 8 PM and get what they can get?

It's highly different at different areas.

Higher population I guarantee its a bullrush.

Med pop its going to be a mad dash, but probably not trample, shoving punching like high pop.

Low pop probably all the huge door busters will be a rush. After that hit or kiss on deals.

Rural it's a toss up. I've been to a rural WM and their big sale TV was still there 6 hours after opening. Likewise many of the games were still there

#1424 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Brown Thursday?

What color will Wednesday be next year when someone inevitably starts their sales on Wed to get the jump on the Thursday sales?

Beige Wednesday.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#1425 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Brown Thursday?

What color will Wednesday be next year when someone inevitably starts their sales on Wed to get the jump on the Thursday sales?

I went the other way and think we need names for Saturday and Sunday.

Brown Thursday>Black Friday>Siesta Saturday (from everyone sleeping in)> ? Sunday>Cyber Monday

I almost want to switch Saturday to "You missed all the good sale Saturday" or "Sloppy Seconds Saturday" and make it Siesta Sunday

#1426 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

It's highly different at different areas.

Higher population I guarantee its a bullrush.

Med pop its going to be a mad dash, but probably not trample, shoving punching like high pop.

Low pop probably all the huge door busters will be a rush. After that hit or kiss on deals.

Rural it's a toss up. I've been to a rural WM and their big sale TV was still there 6 hours after opening. Likewise many of the games were still there

So if you have only 1 Walmart in your town, would you consider that Low or Mid Population?

#1427 thegame956

thegame956

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Caca brown Wednesday

#1428 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

So if you have only 1 Walmart in your town, would you consider that Low or Mid Population?

Probably low pop. Depends on the area, amount of dense population, what the prototypical person is like in that area etc.

#1429 Darknuke

Darknuke

Guncraft: Voxel-FPS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Walmart wins black friday this year (tho I guess we haven't seen Amazon's deals yet).

Dishonored, Star Wars Kinect (maybe), NFS: MW, Amazing Spiderman, and Twisted Metal (maybe) will be mine!

SteamWidget.PNG

#1430 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Walmart wins black friday this year (tho I guess we haven't seen Amazon's deals yet).

Dishonored, Star Wars Kinect (maybe), NFS: MW, Amazing Spiderman, and Twisted Metal (maybe) will be mine!

Star Wars kinect is just bad...

#1431 Miada

Miada

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Probably low pop. Depends on the area, amount of dense population, what the prototypical person is like in that area etc.

So what category would a town with a population of 30,500 people (according to a 2010 census of my town) be? That honestly seems way high for my town. You'd never think it was that many. In fact, I'm pretty shocked at that number. I also only have 1 Walmart in my town. It's the only place in my town in which you can purchase movies and music in-store. We have a GameStop as well, but that's it. It's very rural, and the majority of people I know around here have xbox and not PS3.

Edited by Miada, 14 November 2012 - 11:26 PM.

:ps3: Currently Playing : GTA Online, Jeopardy! Ultimate Edition (Digital), Borderlands

#1432 Sharkey1337

Sharkey1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Sorry if this has been answered already, but will Wal Mart be pricematching Black Friday deals? I would love to match Target's $10 1600 Microsoft Points deal.

#1433 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

The only way it would possibly be illegal is if you could argue bait and switch. Effectively, you try to get a game like Borderlands 2 during the time of the sale for $25, but they say that one is "sold out", yet they got the copy on the shelf they tell you it is full price. While it is not a different product, it is still a higher priced item than what the ad states. Even though it says "limited quantities", if the particular item is still out on the sales floor, then theoretically it should be sold for the listed price.

If they really don't want to sell more than 5 copies or whatever amount of a product during the sale, then they should take the excess product off of the sales floor. Unless they do, people have a legitimate argument, especially for the games listed in the ad. There are no special SKU/UPC numbers in the ads, they only show the covers for the games and the price. If you want the game in the ad, if they have it on the sales floor and during the time specified for the sale, they should give you the advertised price.

I'm going to Walmart this year and hopefully that argument holds up if need be because I'm going in 2 hours after doorbuster starts. No way I'm going at the start.

#1434 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

So what category would a town with a population of 30,500 people (according to a 2010 census of my town) be? That honestly seems way high for my town. You'd never think it was that many. In fact, I'm pretty shocked at that number. I also only have 1 Walmart in my town. It's the only place in my town in which you can purchase movies and music in-store. We have a GameStop as well, but that's it. It's very rural, and the majority of people I know around here have xbox and not PS3.

I would say middle at least cause my town population is like a 1/3 of that and considering the fact that you only have 1 Walmart and 1 Gamestop (I also only have one of those in my town + Kmart), you may run into some trouble.

#1435 EvilIA

EvilIA

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

I think it has been hit or miss over the years if the cases games will ring up the sale price and/or if the employees will allow the sale.

Last year I went in about 2 hours late, and the majority of the sale titles were not in the case. I did find one and it scanned for the sale price, but I can't tell you about the others that were missing.

If you do choose to go to the cases keep in mind you will not be the only person with this idea.

#1436 Pheee

Pheee

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm going to Walmart this year and hopefully that argument holds up if need be because I'm going in 2 hours after doorbuster starts. No way I'm going at the start.

Yup, I am going in after the mad rush, and see what I can get.

I am ok with missing deals to miss out on chaos.

#1437 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

It doesn't work that way in most states. As long as they specify in the ad that there is a limit or that only a specific quantity of the item is available at the sale price, as long as they fulfill those representations, there is no legal basis for claiming they have to sell you additional copies whether they are in the back or in a brightly lit display case on the store floor. Having said that, I think most stores would probably let you have the items at that price if you really pressed it, but they have no legal obligation to do so.

#1438 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Brown Thursday?

Already, happened, Newegg usually starts their deals around noon on Wednesday, and most of the time a lot of the online retailers go live late Wednesday/early Thursday..

#1439 Miada

Miada

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I would say middle at least cause my town population is like a 1/3 of that and considering the fact that you only have 1 Walmart and 1 Gamestop (I also only have one of those in my town + Kmart), you may run into some trouble.

Thanks. Yeah, that number still surprises me. I used to have a Kmart and a Blockbuster as well, but both have gone out of business within months of eachother. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens as we get closer to the big night. Hopefully all the dumb kids will go to GameStop instead, or at least they'll go to Walmart to grab their Xbox stuff and leave all the PS3 stuff for me. One can dream, right? :lol:

#1440 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Thanks. Yeah, that number still surprises me. I used to have a Kmart and a Blockbuster as well, but both have gone out of business within months of eachother. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens as we get closer to the big night. Hopefully all the dumb kids will go to GameStop instead, or at least they'll go to Walmart to grab their Xbox stuff and leave all the PS3 stuff for me. One can dream, right? :lol:

I hear ya Im going to go around 8 PM and hoping for deals on video games and Blu-Rays/DVDs. My town just got a Gamestop (Where our old Blockbuster used to be) and its only a 1 1/2 months old so that may be hit or miss.