Black Friday / Brown Thursday Video Game Deals 2012 - Best Of Guide in 2nd Post

• Please log in to reply
6288 replies to this topic

#2791 kraken613

kraken613

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

You guys rock! Thanks! And is the Uncharted 3 the regular or Goty edition?

#2792 EatSleepAndPlay

EatSleepAndPlay

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Do you see it in the first post?

If not, no one knows.

I don't see a time? I don't use Amazon a lot. Maybe I'm missing something on the page?

#2793 Mongoose07

Mongoose07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

How rough do you guys think the Thursday night stuff will be (Wal-Mart, KMart during the day)?

I'd really like to pick up Dishonored, XCom, and Borderlands 2.

#2794 mblackwl

mblackwl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Couldn't you just call up a store in another time zone and ask them as a customer?

Seconding this.

#2795 Jmclark

Jmclark

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

How rough do you guys think the Thursday night stuff will be (Wal-Mart, KMart during the day)?

I'd really like to pick up Dishonored, XCom, and Borderlands 2.

Walmart WILL get rough.

#2796 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

How rough do you guys think the Thursday night stuff will be Wal-Mart ?

It will make a man out of you and put hair on your chest.

Edited by gordojones88, 20 November 2012 - 08:47 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#2797 Fabrizo

Fabrizo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

It will make a man out of you and put hair on your chest.

Even if you're a woman.

#2798 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

I don't see a time? I don't use Amazon a lot. Maybe I'm missing something on the page?

His point is that we don't know officially what time it will be "live".
Posted Image

#2799 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Has anyone played Forza Horizon? How is it? I've been thinking of getting a racing game, may get a sim and an arcade. Seeing as Horizon is going to be 15...im tempted.

Take the laid off devs of PGR and Pure/Split Second, give it a PGR Kudos-like system w/an open world, add on an awesome soundtrack, and have it wear a Forza skin.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#2800 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Cool. I guess I can't go wrong at 15 dollars anyway on a game so new. I thought NFS: Most Wanted was okay, but I don't really like the super-arcadey, turn-the-corner-easily-at-150 type feel it has, while I haven't really been into the depth of sim racers either. Horizon may be just what I'm looking for.

Sure sounds like it!

#2801 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

-I really want to get NFS Most Wanted. How is that?
- I really want to get on that Old Navy deal, but there's aalso the Toys R Us BO-G40% deal.
-I also want to get a new 360, but my old one is still good after all these years. I already have Skyrim, and I'm not a fan of Forza.
-I bought a new PS3 last Black Friday, so no need for the slimmer one.

So aside from Most Wanted, I guess that's it.

Get the Slim bundle at Gamestop on Friday and sell the games. You can easily sell the BLOPS 2 you get free at GS for $40-$50 on CAG, Amazon, CL, etc.. The Skyrim download codes go for $20-$30 on EBay. Forza 4 Essentials may be a harder sell, but I think you can still get at least $15 trading it to GS if you can't find a taker since the full version is $40 now.

As others have said, you enjoyment of Criterion's NFS: MW 2012 is totally dependent on how much you liked Burnout Paradise and if you're going to play a lot of MP or not. The game shines most in MP.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#2802 4ZN_5H4D0W

4ZN_5H4D0W

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

From the Director of Communications and Community Relations at Walmart.
Layaway will automatically give you the sale price during Black Friday.
Price Match any Local Competitor's Black Friday Ad at any register.

iheartthemart.com/walmart-black-friday-deals

• Walmart Layaway is supposed to be open from 9am to 9pm on Black Friday.
  • Walmart Black Friday “Special Buy” items will have different bar codes for the most part so items like TV’s, computers, blu-ray players, and movies will most likely not be able to use the Layaway Black Friday strategy. It will work on games and toys because those items should not have the special bar codes.
  • Competitor Black Friday items that Walmart carries will be able to use this strategy. For example: Target has model XOXO in their Black Friday Ad and Walmart carries model XOXO, you can put that item on Layaway and Price Match on Black Friday provided the sale time has not ended. It will have to be deleted to get the lower price.
  • Do not confuse start times with end times. Walmart will have 3 sales going on at the same time, they may run out of stock but the sale is still running. If your item is in Layaway it is in stock. Events 1, 2, 3 end at 11:59pm Friday night.
  • The register is what determines what price the item is sold at, if an item is in Layaway you do not technically buy it until you pay off the layaway item. The register automatically gives you the sale price if you close it out during a sale period. So do not worry about deleting items from layaway.

I've asked this before: Where did you get "Events 1, 2, 3 end at 11:59pm Friday night" from?
The link that you posted only says "Event 1 and 2 End Friday at Midnight.." it doesn't specify whether that means Friday night or morning. I haven't found anywere else when the sales actually end, so the layaway option that everyone is talking about may not work out.

If this layaway option doesn't work, does anyone have any experience or information to share with purchasing the games before and coming in during the sale to price match it?

#2803 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Not sure how many people saw it but Gamestop ended their promo giving an extra 25 dollars TIV on consoles. Now it is 50. I know the OP says they are doing double TIV on consoles on Black Friday. If you are thinking about trading something in, you might want to figure out which of the two will get you more credit (the extra 50 or the double TIV).

#2804 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I've asked this before: Where did you get "Events 1, 2, 3 end at 11:59pm Friday night" from?
The link that you posted only says "Event 1 and 2 End Friday at Midnight.." it doesn't specify whether that means Friday night or morning. I haven't found anywere else when the sales actually end, so the layaway option that everyone is talking about may not work out.

If this layaway option doesn't work, does anyone have any experience or information to share with purchasing the games before and coming in during the sale to price match it?

I asked the Walmart manager I know at the store when I was putting my games in layaway yesterday. She said Layaway is open from 9am to 9pm and the sales will last all day Friday. There are some Walmarts that aren't allowed to open till Midnight. The sale isn't going to end before the store even opens. The sales may start earlier this year, but they don't end before Black Friday even begins. It is not 3 completely separate sales events. They are the start times of 3 Door Buster Events "while supplies last" designed to keep people at Walmart instead of their competitors. If you need to keep asking, then call and ask your store.

If you had read the link, the Director of Communications and Community Relations at Walmart specifically mentions the $38 LG blu-ray player on the front page of Event 2 :
  • For items already on layaway, will Walmart price match those items if they have now gone on sale for Black Friday?

Items that have been put on layaway then are paid off on Black Friday will be sold at Black Friday pricing (i.e. If you place a LG Blu-ray player on layaway today and payoff the purchase on Black Friday, you will pay the $38 Black Friday price).

Walmart's 7 day price adjustment policy is also valid though out the year including Black Friday. So is Target's 14 day price adjustment policy. I've done it at both stores on Black Friday the last few years. Again, pick up the phone and call your store.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#2805 angeezy

angeezy

TheHypeIsSoMellow

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

can't find much on newegg, but they will be selling the xbox360 250gb skyrim forza bundle for 199.99.. stated on major nelson's blog. i have my eye on it!

does anyone know how black friday newegg works?
it says that their black friday starts on the 21st, 1pm pacific.

#2806 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

So for 100% confirmation the Event 1 game prices last all day?

#2807 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Looks like I may have to run and place some items on layaway at Walmart, thus avoiding my chance of death on Black Friday by a large percent :D

659629.png?68329996

#2808 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Looks like I may have to run and place some items on layaway at Walmart, thus avoiding my chance of death on Black Friday by a large percent :D

Agreed. I'm going as soon as I get off work at noon today. X-Com and GoW Saga for me...Ratchet and Clank Collection and a new bike for my daughter.

#2809 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

So for 100% confirmation the Event 1 game prices last all day?

Oy

Edited by CheapyD, 20 November 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2810 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Not sure how much help it will be but I just noticed Wal-Mart's website has a Black Friday map showing where some of the popular items will be located in the stores. There is a little rectangular button you have to click just above the Weekly Store Ad on the Wal-mart website.

The map shows my local Wally World putting video games in the hot food section. *face palm*

Hahahaha...Compaq laptop will be in Lawn and Garden. Wii's near the soft drinks.

#2811 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Not sure how much help it will be but I just noticed Wal-Mart's website has a Black Friday map showing where some of the popular items will be located in the stores. There is a little rectangular button you have to click just above the Weekly Store Ad on the Wal-mart website.

Games are in between the coconuts and the bananas.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2812 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Games are in between the coconuts and the bananas.

Yea...you can look up the map for your own local store. Kinda cool they put that up. Hope this helps some of y'all who aren't trying the lay away strategy.

#2813 Tyvan

Tyvan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

It's not YMMV. You do not have to speak to anybody about it.
Walmart's 7 Day Price Adjustment will
and always has worked on Black Friday.
The register will do it automatically.
Take the receipt to customer service during sale hours.

Price adjustments are not available for items designated as Clearance, Value of the Day or Special Buy; for items purchased up to seven days before Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday or Cyber Week; and for items purchased using an Associate Discount Card.

http://www.walmart.c...8938394&veh=aff

Could you still just buy it, return it and rebuy right there at the same register?

#2814 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Price adjustments are not available for items designated as Clearance, Value of the Day or Special Buy; for items purchased up to seven days before Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday or Cyber Week; and for items purchased using an Associate Discount Card.

Could you still just buy it, return it and rebuy right there at the same register?

That's only for items bought on walmart.com. Which is why it says "price adjustments for walmart.com purchases" at the top of the page.

TheSporkWithin.png
Trade List 3DS Friend Code: 0731-4785-9484

#2815 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

You have posted the Walmart.com policy,
which does not apply to in-store purchases.
Do you guys work for Target. Is it a conspiracy?
Ain't Nobody Got Time Fer Dat!

Ain't Nobody Got Time Fer Dat

Edited by gordojones88, 20 November 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2816 LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy

Oathkeeper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

The map shows my local Wally World putting video games in the hot food section. *face palm*

Hahahaha...Compaq laptop will be in Lawn and Garden. Wii's near the soft drinks.

Was curious and just used it myself but seems all the stores make mention of only the 360 and Wii bundles on their maps. Why isn't there a spot for PS3s?

#2817 Nintendo_Hawk

Nintendo_Hawk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

As for Black Friday specifically, will Amazon only be offering the currently stated Lightning Deals, or is there more info yet to come on other games which are on sale all day ? (specifically AC3 if that helps) ??

#2818 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

As for Black Friday specifically, will Amazon only be offering the currently stated Lightning Deals, or is there more info yet to come on other games which are on sale all day ? (specifically AC3 if that helps) ??

According to AmazonJosh on reddit, the Lightning Deals are only part of the BF week sales.

#2819 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Was curious and just used it myself but seems all the stores make mention of only the 360 and Wii bundles on their maps. Why isn't there a spot for PS3s?

Good question. Seems Wally World is showing a little more love to the 360 than the PS3 this year. I noticed quite a few more 360 games on their BF list compared to the PS3 selection.

#2820 LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy

Oathkeeper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Because according to the playstation blog, $199 is msrp for ps3 bundles for Black Friday?

Just went and found the blog post you were talking about. Read through and eh...guess I'll just go in stores to look.

Honestly I think I know why there's more love for 360 this time around since it actually gets new games packed in for that $199 bundle. I mean the games PS3 bundle gets are a few years old.