The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

dmaul1114

Banned
I've gotten into running pretty seriously this year, so I thought I'd post a thread and see if there are other runners on CAG.

Idea is the thread can serve as motivation with people sharing their run distances/times, discussing training plans for races, training tips, injury questions, shoes and gear advice and so on.

To start it off, I started running in February and then slacked off some over the summer with traveling a lot and the summer heat here in Atlanta. I've been back at it pretty seriously since September with consistently running 3 or 4 times a week. Currently I'm doing a couple 3-4 mile runs a week, and one or two longer miles (5-6 miles, 6.5 is the longest so far).

I have a Garmin Forerunner 405 watch I use to track my runs, and here are a few of my recent longer runs starting with a 5K race I ran a couple weeks ago.

Distance: 3.15 mi
Time: 26:26
Avg Pace: 8:23 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 235 ft
Calories: 384 C

Watch time was a little faster than official time at it auto stopped when a race volunteer stupidly stopped runners to let some cars through an intersection (was only supposed to do that for the walkers who started behind the runners). Official time was 26:46 which was good for 156 out of 756 runners overall and 20 out of 54 in the 30-34 male age group.

Longest run to date was last Tuesday:

Distance: 6.50 mi
Time: 1:00:31
Avg Pace: 9:19 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 216 ft
Calories: 790 C

Saturdays I run with a local running group from Meetup.com and that's usually five miles.

Distance: 5.01 mi
Time: 46:43
Avg Pace: 9:20 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 197 ft
Calories: 609 C

And this morning I got in a nice 4 miler.

Distance: 4.00 mi
Time: 35:54
Avg Pace: 8:58 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 94 ft
Calories: 487 C

My next race is a 10k on December 1st. Looking forward to it. I was registered for one in May, but ended up having to miss it for a family reunion.

Anyway, hope there are some other runners on here as its fun to share running experience and tips and I'd rather not add a running forum to my rotation as I already waste to much time on forums! :D

Most recent run as of last Friday was 25:18 for a 3.1 mile course.

Mentioned this in the weight loss thread, but I ran a lot as a kid. We had moved to Austin for 1.5 years and I took up running due to A) my PE teacher at the time really pushing it and B) all the road races around Austin, since there's a 5K or 10K somewhere almost every weekend. I got into it pretty strongly. Unfortunately, we moved away (back to original hometown), and the running scene there was practically nonexistent. This made it difficult to find the encouragement to keep it up, as kids my age didn't do it, there were no races, and basically everyone was expected to start gearing up for middle school football. (A real shame, really, as the Woodlands - which are a rich suburb of north Houston - churn out AMAZING cross country runners repeatedly, and were only 45 minutes away.)

I still kept it up off and on throughout the years, but recently, it's taken a huge nosedive. This was a combination of moving around, which didn't give me any good courses to go to, and in general just being less interested in it as a whole.

Finally picked it up again last July with seriousness/determination. Having moved to Austin again in May of this year, I was super excited to be near a live and active running scene. There's running clubs all over the place and a large number of great locations to run at. Currently, I go to Lake Austin Blvd, which is where one of the major roads crosses the Colorado River. Basically, you're running along the river, and there's a number of bridges that cross it at various intervals. This lets you pick how far of a run you want to tackle. The minimum circuit is 3.1, but there are options for 4.2, a 10K equivalent, and even a half marathon (although I need to check the maps to confirm).

I've focused primarily on getting my speed back up. My first run in July was 43 minutes. It was awful and embarrassing. As I mentioned, I haven't been keeping up with this in recent years. I was doing some cardio here and there with an elliptical machine, but that's just not the same as a run. The first run had me walking on at least seven different occasions, and I got overheated badly once I'd finished that I felt awful.

I've since run at least once a week, always at least the 3.1 mile course. My time has gone from 43 minutes to 25:18 (as previously mentioned). I'm really happy with that since it's really only been 4 months. My goal was a sub-25 minute run by Christmas. Specifically, Austin puts on the Jingle Bell Run every year, which is a 5K. I'm going to sign up and hopefully reach that goal.

Unfortunately, the time change means that it gets super dark by the time I leave work, and the course can present some challenge since it is a trail with some rocks, small valleys, and is surrounded by trees. This might prevent me from going during the work week. At the least, I might have a standing date to go every Sunday. This lets me control when I get there, so I can also choose the longer courses. The 4.2 I did a week ago was 36 minutes, and felt surprisingly great.

I hope to do a marathon next year, depending on how well this keeps going. I consider it one of the most positive aspects of life right now.

I used Nike Hauraches when I was a kid. They are comfy, have a lot of cushion, and are LIGHT. I had a pair that I was using, but they unfortunately came apart - the sole detached completely, and the tread itself started to fall off (as in, the entire black tread). It was hugely disappointing. Nike still makes them, and I thought about getting another pair. My workplace has a discount with a local running store, so I checked it out. The guy there set me up with a pair by Brooks (I'd never even heard of them before), but they've worked out beautifully. (My dad said this was the running shoe brand HE used as a kid.) They also have a good amount of cushion and are light, and also very breathable in the toes.

It's getting colder, which I prefer. Basically, the worse it looks out - cold, rainy, gray, windy - the better I run.

I haven't gotten around to buying some legit running shorts yet. I do have some shirts that purport to be better for running/sports - they wick away moisture, breath better, are light and thin, etc. I do like them better than normal t-shirts. I also have one of those "shoe pockets" I keep my key in when I run. Don't use anything beyond a Timex for chrono (i.e., don't use headphones, don't listen to music, etc, it's a purity thing with me).

Like dmaul said, hope there are some other runners out there!

I'm running in some Brooks shoes as well--the Ghost IV model I got back in the spring. The key with running shoes is to go to a running specialty store where they can assess your arch, running form (whether you may over or under pronate etc.) and get you in the right type of shoe. Extra important for me as I have had some on and off issues with foot pain over the years due to some structural issues with my feet. The shoes have around 230 miles on them, so I'll probably get an knew pair early next year since the rule of thumb is to replace them every 300-500 miles and they already don't feel as cushy as they first did.

I also haven't bothered with running specific shorts. Just plain old gym shorts seem fine for me, and I just keep my key on a decent weight key chain in a pocket when I run (need both the door key, and the electronic FOP to get into my condo building) and have no issues. Doesn't bother me and it's heavy enough to not have to worry about it falling out. I too run in some of those sweat wicking shirts--I just buy the Champion brand at Target--pretty cheap and get the job done. I did just get some Asics running tights to wear under my shorts since it's getting colder (I usually run around 8-10 am before heading into work) and some long sleeve under armour type shirts by Champion to wear under the other shirts when it's 45 or under.

I do run with my iPod Nano other than when running in a race or with a running group. I have one of those fanny pack type things that has holsters for two 10 ounce water bottles on the sides that I use when it's hot out and I'm running more than 3-4 miles. These cooler days I've been fine without water even on the 6.5 miler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second on the Champion shirts from Target. I picked up one of the running specific ones when they went on sale a few months ago. I really should have gotten a few more. I can't ever tell if the more expensive options from Nike/Under Armour/Asics/whatever are worth the trouble. My gut tells me they aren't, and I can't imagine there's a lot of super secretive technology inherent with woven fabrics.

Running shorts are something on my mind because the ones I use now tend to bunch up. They are Adidas leftovers from when I used to play soccer, so they are good for the activity. I just want to try some split level shorts with a small zipper pocket in the back to see how they feel/work. It's not like I imagine it helping out a lot, but it never hurts to try.

Not looking good for this thread catching on....but I'll bump it for my next few runs before giving up.

Here's this mornings.

Distance: 3.00 mi
Time: 26:18
Avg Pace: 8:45 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 31 ft
Calories: 371 C

Couldn't run the past couple mornings because of rain and will miss tomorrow for an early meeting. Saturday I'll have my group run.

This mornings run with the meet up group.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 46:11
Avg Pace: 9:14 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 306 ft
Calories: 608 C

Haven't had a chance to go again this week due to time change making it too dark to go after work. I have to consider a pre-work run, but that would probably be on a treadmill, which I'd loathe. We'll see.

Going for another 4.2 tomorrow though.

Keep up the great work dmaul!

I have a Garmin Forerunner 301 that was given to me second hand by a friend, who was a big runner, when he upgraded. I use it to keep track sometimes, but I'm not very consistent with it.

Usually I do two 3 mile runs a week and keep an average pace around 7 minutes/mile. Every now and then I'll bump it up to 5 miles, but generally not more because I hate carrying water with me. My longest run this year was 11 miles and I did that in 1 hour and 45 minutes, but I had to take my 3 liter Camelback and it made my traps sore for a couple days, so I haven't done that again.

As far as running attire goes, I just use my gym clothes which are old t-shirts and gym shorts. Always wear a pair of compression shorts though. My shoes are a pair of light weight Reeboks I got a few years ago that I've worn in pretty good. I wear a smaller shoe for running than I do normally because I like the shoe snug on my foot.

This week I was busy so I only ran once and it was just a short one to break up my workout. Did 1.5 mi in 10:00, not my best time for that distance but not terrible. I'll get back to my usual routine this week.

I applaud your dedication dmaul, I'm too busy watching or getting ready to watch college football on Saturdays to run :).

I've tried running as my cardio before-- I used to get horribly achey knees and terrible cramps in my side, just one minute in (not sure if I'm breathing incorrectly or what) I just got x-rays done on my back and knees, coincidentally, and I've been diagnosed with arthritis. At the age of 25! Yeesh. But my doc told me to get some glucosamine and take ibuprofen, so maybe my joints will feel better and I can get back to running. I've been previously doing low impact stuff like the stair climber and the bike machine at the gym to ease the pain on my knees during cardio.

In fact I am inspired to go take a run right now because the weather is absolutely perfect (cloudy and about 65 degrees) and I can test the waters to see how the glucoasmine is working. Thanks for the inspiration Dmaul. :D

I'm getting back into running after being out of it for almost 4 years due to major back injuries. I've been doing couch to 5k so far with good results for me so far. Do you guys use Runtastic or any phone apps like that?

Glad to see some other runners posting!

[quote name='blindinglights']
I applaud your dedication dmaul, I'm too busy watching or getting ready to watch college football on Saturdays to run :).[/QUOTE]

That's not so much an issue as the group runs at 9 so I'm easily home in time for the noon games--even with going to breakfast after the run. :D

The harder part is I'm often up late and drinking on Fridays, so it can be hard to get up Saturday mornings sometimes. But I've managed it for the past month. I didn't go much over the summers as they move the run time to 8am due to the heat here and that's rough for me as I'm not a morning person at all. I'm hardly every up before 8, much less awake enough to run at 8!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
In fact I am inspired to go take a run right now because the weather is absolutely perfect (cloudy and about 65 degrees) and I can test the waters to see how the glucoasmine is working. Thanks for the inspiration Dmaul. :D[/QUOTE]

Glucosmine/Chondroitin does help my knees a good bit, have been taking it for years. Give it time though as it can take up to 3 months to really make a difference as it works by helping build cartilidge.

If you get back into running, be sure to get proper shoes. Get to a running store that will analyze your arch type and watch you run and get you in the right type of shows. With having joint issues you especially want the right type of shows to help with form and shock absorption etc. Be warned their pricey though, good running shoes tend to be in the $90-130 range and not a lot of sales other than closeouts on old models when the new one is out.

Also try to run softly (as quiet of footfalls as possible) and to land on your midfood (kind of flat footed) rather than heel-toe to minimize jarring of your ankles and knees. I've had some knee and foot issues, and focusing on that has helped a lot.

The side stitches could be form/breathing related. Make sure to run upright, leaning slightly forward at the hips. Keep your head up and shoulders back (the way one of my female running friends put it--run like you got new implants you want to show off) as that keeps your airways open. If you're slouched or looking down you're putting pressure on your diaphragm which is one thing that can lead to the side stitches.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm getting back into running after being out of it for almost 4 years due to major back injuries. I've been doing couch to 5k so far with good results for me so far. Do you guys use Runtastic or any phone apps like that?[/QUOTE]

When I first started I used the Ease into 5K iPhone app--it's a good couch to 5K app, has GPS to track runs etc. Haven't used it since getting the Garmin watch though. The Garmin Connect Website it uploads too is pretty sweet for tracking things.

Supposed to rain tomorrow, and I'll be out of town Tues-Saturday for work, so decided to run again and ended up doing 6 miles.

Distance: 6.01 mi
Time: 52:40
Avg Pace: 8:46 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 180 ft
Calories: 727 C

Amazed I was able to do so much better a pace than on the 5 miler yesterday since I feel a little queasy (been a stomach bug going around work), but goes to show what a good nights sleep and not being a little hungover can do! :D

I think the 18 miles I logged this week is the most I've done in one week since starting running as well.

Dmaul-- thank you for all of the insight! I will definitely consider taking a look at the shoe stores, though I don't know how my chances are with a size 14-15 foot. Might have to be an online order. Also, based on your tips, I see that I am breaking proper form. Quite often, I look down to the ground because it's my weird way of concentrating. And I never even considered how I land on my feet-- pretty sure I'm doing heel to toe, so that's definitely something I'm going to try.

And I'm glad to hear the glucosamine helps. I was sort of afraid that it would simply maintain my joints instead of making real progress to helping them.

Anyway, I'm going to employ these tips and hopefully go on many runs since Arizona has amazing weather from November-March/April. Thanks again!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Dmaul-- thank you for all of the insight! I will definitely consider taking a look at the shoe stores, though I don't know how my chances are with a size 14-15 foot. Might have to be an online order. [/QUOTE]

I wear 14 or 15 depending on the shoe and finding stuff in stores is a pain. Sometimes the dedicated running stores or larger shoe stores will have a selection, but most smaller shoe stores only tend to carry up to 13 or so. Online is definitely going to be your best bet.

Definitely hit up a running specialty store. They're more likely to have your size, and if not they can still look at your feet and how you run and tell you what kind of shoes are best for you and you can order line if you can't find your size.

But it's important to go at least once and see how much support you need, wheter you over or under pronate vs. being neutral etc. to make sure you get the right type of shoes.

35:39 on the 4.2 today. A slight improvement, but not great. I felt really heavy and slow.

Most likely running a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. Did it back in the day. Not running in the timed group; that will have to wait for another year if I'm still around here.

dmaul, really enjoy reading you and the other runners' stories here. I have a 2.8 mile circle around my house basically that I usually run 3-4 times a week, typical time is 23-25 minutes with my lowest being 15 a few years ago but that was a summer where I was running all the time. Last couple years I've been terrible at establishing a routine as I was finishing up college and never had time to run with classes and a 40 hour work week. Since graduating in May I've been better, but have slipped up again the last month. This thread is hopefully the inspiration to get back into it this week!

Took the summer off to recooperate and regain some motivation after a couple lackluster triathlon seasons. Having restarted training, I've built a good base with some weight lifting and nutrition readjustment. I've really started training on the run more than anything (bike and swim are slowly being worked in). I'm currently running a 24:00 5k with my longest run being last week- 7 miles at 1:01:03. Probably won't be running a race or triathlon until next year, but I already feel more prepared for the run than I did last year (although my best 5k last year was a 21:50 :bouncy:).

I went out today as it was the first day that it's been sunny since last week. Holy hell at the wind! It was 40 or so outside, but the wind was killer. What do you guys use to protect your face/head when running in the cold? The rest of my body was fine as I have a good thermal shirt and pants.

Also, does anyone recommend Saucony or Brooks running gear? I'm in need of some sort of jacket/pullover that is lightweight, and has pockets. I've looked at the target stuff and I just don't know about their jackets. I have plenty of their shirts that are fine however...

It doesn't often get super cold in Atlanta so I haven't invested in any hats/ear muffs yet. I have a Nike microfiber running hat I always wear though and just grabbed some long sleeve running shirts at target and some running Asiics running tights to wear under my shorts that have been ok on the upper 30's to mid 40's runs so far.

I may need to invest in a jacket etc. come January/February, but I'll wait and see how could this winter is. Hardly every had day with highs lower than the upper 30s last winter.

Can't speak to the name brand running clothes as I haven't bought any yet. I really like my Brooks shoes though. That would be another thing to check out at a running store--though maybe order online after findings something you like as clothes are pricey there and cheaper on Amazon--where as current model running shoes tend to be about the same price everywhere.

This mornings run.

Distance: 5.01 mi
Time: 43:59
Avg Pace: 8:47 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 144 ft
Calories: 604 C

Will definitely have to get something to cover my ears on cold runs, was mid 30s and windy this morning--ears still hurting a bit.

I'm out of town for a conference from this evening through Saturday night, so next run will be Sunday at the earliest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like these might work for ear muffs. They won't cause much drag (if any at all), are adjustable, and you can bend them up for storage. Woot periodically puts them on sale throughout this time of year, normally with "Two pairs for $5" or so.

In store at Target, they should cost around $15. You could probably find some cheaper variants elsewhere. There's a LOT of very cheap ones on Amazon, but these are knock-offs of questionable quality. The Woot sales are always 180s, which are good quality. I usually get a bunch of pairs and give them as gifts.

Still really sore from my run on Sunday, which sucks, because I properly stretched before heading out. Will probably try to do some weights and light cardio on an elliptical tonight. I did sign up for the Trukey Trot, so I'll be doing a 5 mile on Thanksgiving morning. Looking forward to it. The winner last year posted 25:02. There's obviously no way I can compete with that, but maybe a year of training could at least get me in the 6-7 minute range, which I'd be more than happy with.

I actually have a couple pairs of 180s. Haven't tried running in them, but I don't know how well they'd stay in place when running as the fit isn't super tight.

Thinking about an ear band like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resea...7&sr=8-12&keywords=amazon+running+winter+hats

Or maybe a beanie from one of the running brands like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Wangan...5&sr=1-11&keywords=amazon+running+winter+hats

I have no delusion of being competitive in races as the winning times are just crazy. I just do a few for fun and extra motivation to stay in shape and be able to finish in respectable times. :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Can't speak to the name brand running clothes as I haven't bought any yet. I really like my Brooks shoes though. That would be another thing to check out at a running store--though maybe order online after findings something you like as clothes are pricey there and cheaper on Amazon--where as current model running shoes tend to be about the same price everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we have several running stores out this way. Prices seem to be pretty mixed. Some of these jackets are at or near $100, which is a little crazy to me. The running shoes were actually close in respect to most local chains.

I'm considering this to keep my head warm. Plus I can look like a ninja...

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/ua-coldgear-hood/pid1223223

Cool, just saw this thread.

I'm a pretty serious runner and have been most of my life. I run about 50-60 miles per week. I ran 10 on Sunday and 7 yesterday.

I am training for the Rock N Roll Arizona Half marathon in January. I am hoping for a PR. I ran a 1:22:13 this year and would like to get under 1:22:00

Currently I have about 3 pairs of shoes I rotate for most of my runs. I often get my shoes at http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/ they have really good "daily Deals"

Wow. How have I never seen those before? I run 4-5 days a week but certainly not the distances some of you do. I usually run 2 miles, do some strength training (pushups, pullups, dips) and then run 20 sets of stadiums. dmaul, I'm in the Atlanta area as well and so far the weather hasn't been bad at all this season. I do my running in the late afternoon/evening after work. I've never actually timed myself so I couldn't even make a good guess what my mile time would be.

[quote name='Strell']Something like these might work for ear muffs. [/QUOTE]

I've run in one's just like that (not a clue what the brand was, but it's definitely some random knockoff). They work pretty well, just make sure the brand you get keeps pretty snug on your head. I've also just gone with a traditional beanie that was long enough to pull down over my ears. On the coldest of days I've gone full out ski mask (yeah, the one's they wear when robbing a bank)... unfortunately, it just makes things way to warm and then you're sweating and making things even worse. Of everything I've tried though, I'd recommend just doing the ear muffs... anything else just seems like too much.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Very interesting. I wonder how well that would work with the condensation of your breath when running...[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't and it's really overkill. Unless you are running hours on end in sub-zero weather you would never need something like this.

it is butt-cold outside I just cover up my head as best can and put a little vaseline on your nose and cheeks.

I run a mile four days out of the week. Right now it's just a warmup before lifting weights, but I'd like to increase how much I run in the future.

I only run 1 to 1.5 miles a few times a week. If I wasn't training to become a police officer I would never run. I find it incredibly boring. With that being said, I went for a 1 mile run the other day and I finished in 6:29. That's about 25 seconds off my pace, but I hadn't run in about 2 weeks. I thought I was going to die walking home. I'm getting lazy again. : \

[quote name='usickenme']15.25 miles
2:01:02 (7:56 avg.)
1,707 calories[/QUOTE]

Damn. I'm dreading my 5 mile set for Thanksgiving. I think I'm going to try and do a 6 mile before that just to see what happens though. You're good inspiration!

I do the majority of my running on the high school's track. I switched over to it a couple of years ago and definitely noticed a difference in how my knees feel. I certainly recommend it.

[quote name='neocisco']I do the majority of my running on the high school's track. I switched over to it a couple of years ago and definitely noticed a difference in how my knees feel. I certainly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

all the tracks around here were redone with really nice surfaces...then they put of giant chainlink fences around all of them.

I spend about 50% of my time on dirt trails and the rest on pavement. Since most races I do are on pavement, I have to spend some time on it.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Did 1.5 today. Best thing about being a member of a gym with mostly old people? They're impressed by your running no matter how shitty it is.[/QUOTE]

Haha sounds like my gym. There's one really old guy that comes in and just slowly shuffles around the track. It's kind of awkward just blowing past him over and over on the small indoor track when the weather is bad.

bread's done
Back