Photo
- - - - -

The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#421 jsmc

jsmc

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

Consistently running roughly 5 miles a day either at once or broken up between 2 runs.  I realize it doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm pretty psyched as I've been somebody who runs no more than 2 miles a day on average over the past years.

#422 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

Not an official race but I had my physical for Monmouth county police test. Ran my mile and a half in 9:45

Im trying to add weight though so I switched mostly to short fast runs and sprints with one long endurance run at a moderate pace.

#423 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

That's a pretty good time Rumors..

I'm still at it. Just got back from California where I ran a 5k..  17:25 (5:37). Best time in about 16 years.

Training felt like a slog through June and early July but I've turned a corner recently.  

I'm running a half marathon Aug. 10th

#424 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

Obstacle race on Saturday was pretty sucky.  It was a Sheriff's department obstacle course, so lots of rope climbing etc. Not really in shape for that upper body strength stuff currently, and got some pretty bad rope burns on my fingers.

Doing a Merrell Down and Dirty 10k one with the girl friend in October--looks tough, but fun with less sheer upper body strength stuff and more general climbing, mud etc.  Then hopefully a Tough Mudder in November if we're feeling capable (that's 10-12 miles).  Main issue is my g/f tore some ligaments in her ankle so she's been unable to do any real cardio for a while and is still pretty sore.

Oh, and that reminds me, the Five Fingers didn't end up working for me.  I have too much size difference between my two feet (left one is about a half inch longer) so I'd have to buy two pairs and toss two of them for it to work.  I ended up going with the Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove--same basic idea, just without toe compartments so the fit doesn't have to be as precise.  Worked great for the obstacle course.  Plenty of tread, didn't get squishy with water/mud, and looked good as new after hosing them off when we got home.  Got them in a sale from 6pm.com for $30 something.

Finally, got an ok 4 mile run in this morning.  Just took it slow and easy since I was still a little sore/stiff from the obstacle run.

Distance:4.00 mi

Time:37:38

Avg Pace:9:24 min/mi

Elevation Gain:142 ft

Calories:485 C

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#425 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

Good to see you getting back after it Dmaul

unfortunately, I tweaked my back because it hurts to run. Took 2 days off last week, ran a great 19 miles on Saturday, then it flared back up. Taking this week off in hopes that I improve.

Sucks getting old because I not sure what I did. Didn't do anything crazy or lift anything.

#426 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Got a good workout in this morning.  Jogged a mile to warm up, did five hill repeats (run up a grassy hill as fast as I could, walk down, repeat), then did pull ups, push ups, dips and a couple times across the monkey bars.

Going to try and do something like that once a week.  Sometimes hill repeats, sometimes stairs, sometimes 400 or 800 meter repeats etc. and then some strength stuff.  Need to get short burst endurance and muscle endurance up some for these obstacle races.  And maybe get a side benefit of upping my speed a bit on 5ks and 10ks.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#427 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

3 miles on the treadmill in 26:45.  

Did it in my Merrell Barefoot shoes, lot of burn along the shins from those muscles not being used to it.  Figure wearing them on shorter treadmill runs and grass hill repeats is a good way to build up some strength in the feet and those muscles without injury to get more used to them before longer obstacle runs.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#428 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

Struggled with heat, humidity, hills and sore/stiff lower legs (for the barefoot shoes treadmill run) on my 5 miler yesterday.  But at least got it in.

Distance: 5.00 mi

Time: 52:34

Avg Pace: 10:30 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 172 ft

Calories: 590 C

Did a bunch of yardwork in the afternoon too, so my legs are pretty dead.  Hope to get a short run in tomrrow, but may just do upper body in the gym if legs are still sore/stiff.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#429 jsmc

jsmc

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

Just finished the Terrapin 5k in Chicago.  I managed roughly a 9 minute mile pace.  I'm a bit disappointed thought to be honest.  That is roughly the same pace I had back in November.  I've been running 4-5 miles 4 times a week this summer. I thought I would have gotten my pace down more.

Any tips or suggestions?

#430 hpbbes

hpbbes

I typo'd my username

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

So what undergarments do you all wear when you run? I'm a cotton boxer man but the swamp ass is unbearable. With all the high tech materials there has to be a better choice that won't cost a pile of money.

#431 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

I just wear boxer briefs for running.  Still get sweaty, but not as bad as running in my regular boxers.

Getting back on the wagon this week after about a month off due to a couple trips with a cold in between.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#432 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Still at it... ran 20+ miles this weekend at 7:29 pace (probably faster). I have a marathon in a month.

Also Boston Marathon was today and a great effort by Meb Kefelzighi..first US man to win since 1983. 

#433 bhk

bhk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

Good job.  I ran  today for the first time in a long time.  Trying to get back into it.

#434 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

I've been a lazy turd with it for all of 2014 pretty much. I moved in December and was busy as hell with that and work and got out of the habit. Finally got a run in again in early February and did something to my Achille's that took a month or so to heal up.

Have got a couple ok 3 milers in the past couple of weeks. Hope to get back on the wagon more starting next week as I'm out of town Thurs-Monday this week. But after that it's just giving finals then the semester is over so work schedule will calm down.

Other problem/excuse I have is running around my new place sucks. There aren't sidewalks everywhere so it's a lot of running on shoulders of fairly busy roads/streets. Where as before I was next to both a huge park and a running/bike trail. But I just need to suck it up and do 3 milers around here and drive to a park or trail for some longer runs on weekends when I get back in shape.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#435 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

After a long interval of not running I'm slowly getting back into it at the gym at my work.  Havent done more than 2 miles there but starting to get back into a comfort zone.  Feels good.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#436 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

yeah, I am lucky to be able to take an hour during the day and run at lunch. I can usually squeeze in 4-6 miles. Plus I got a new treadmill recently (at home), I do many runs in the evening on it. 

since finishing our basement last fall, it's a much nicer place to hang out in

#437 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

Yeah, we did grab a cheap elliptical off of Craigslist and I bought a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and an exercise ball. So I've been working out some, just not much running through winter/spring so far.

I'd have rather had a treadmill, but the fiancee works out in the house way more than I do and prefers ellipticals as it's a lot easier on her ankles that she's injured a bunch in recent years.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#438 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

17 miles yesterday.

5 miles at lunch easy and 12 miles on my treadmill @ 6:55 pace. That was brutal. I do many of specific pace work on the treadmil.

#439 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

I ran a 5 mile race today. It's one I've done for the last 16 years.. today was by 3rd fastest time...29:46 (5:57).  Kind of hoped I would go faster as my recent 5ks have been but considering my legs were dead all week, I will take it

#440 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

Judging by Facebook, everyone ran a race today.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#441 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

did you join us? or are just here to grouse?

#442 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Welp.. I ran my marathon on Sunday in 3:09... Way off my goal of of sub 3 hours.  I was on pace through 20 miles but my legs were cramping badly. I stopped and walked for about 5 minutes. Considering I thought that I wouldn't even finish, I'm glad I held on but damn, a blown opportunity. 

#443 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:32 AM

Anybody ever use these shoes? Thoughts?

http://www.brooksrun...oes/110168.html

Won a $100 GC to a local running shoe store and picked these up for $20 out of pocket but curious if anyone else has used them before.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

#444 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Go to the store and have them test and fit you as everyone's feet are different.

I love Brooks shoes personally. I had the Ghost 5's and now have the Ravenna 3's as I have a slight over pronation. The ghosts are their main neutral shoes.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#445 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Go to the store and have them test and fit you as everyone's feet are different.

I love Brooks shoes personally. I had the Ghost 5's and now have the Ravenna 3's as I have a slight over probation. The ghosts are their main neutral shoes.

Yeah, I tested them at the store yesterday and had them fit me and they seem comfortable. Just wondering if anyone here had any impressions on them.

#446 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

In that case, go for it. They're a great shoe.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection