Photo
- - - - -

The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#121 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Do you get any leg pain what-so-ever at this point running those distances?

#122 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

ah there is usually some soreness or tiredness after run. I use the foam roller to hit the sore spots.

#123 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

So it's more of a muscle pain? Sometimes I get a pain that feels like it's right in the bones.

#124 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

which bone? The shins, the knee, the hip? Some of those are more common, some are indicative of an injury.

sometimes, when I ramp up my mileage, I do get knee pain but it usually goes away. In fact, anytime the pain gets worse during a run, I stop. If it changes my form, I stop. Otherwise, I keep going

#125 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

Shins mostly I think. Probably shin splints? I find they're happening less often than before.

I need to get a treadmill in the house so I can attempt some ten mile runs (though, the task of completing one before I hit 50 is questionable. I can do that first mile pretty fast, but after that, I'd probably just collapse).

#126 mickeyp

mickeyp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

This is an interesting thread, I don't run I sometimes walk fast though.
Smile

#127 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

Better than nothing mickey.

#128 mickeyp

mickeyp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

Better than nothing mickey.

True I entered a walk/run race last month it was fun. I do P90X and Insanity and I have lost 40 lbs since February!
Smile

#129 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Made the trek up to Fleet Feet to use that Groupon and get some new shoes and other stuff.

They did a bit more thorough fitting process than the place I went to for my first pair of running shoes in the spring. I overpronate some (foot rolls inward) which I was pretty sure of since the inner sole of my current shoes (Brooks Ghost 4--a neutral shoe) is a bit more worn than the outer side/middle.

I ended up with the Brooks Ravenna 3 this time, which is their guidance shoe for mild overpronaters. They also put me in a 10.5 rather than a 10, hopefully that well help with the occasional blisters I've gotten on the end of some toes on my left foot on longer runs (along with these being a bit roomier in the toe box than the Ghost). Also $10 less than the Ghost series, so worked well price wise too.

Also grabbed a Mizuno thermal head band to cover my ears on cold windy days, and some Craft running gloves for the same. Lastly, grabbed three things of energy Gu gel to try on longer runs as I've really started dragging around the hour mark on longer runs lately.

Shitty and rainy out today, so just did 3 miles on the treadmill in 26:48 to try out the new shoes, which felt great. Might have done a mile or two more if it wasn't hot as balls in my condo's work out room.

Edited by dmaul1114, 17 December 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#130 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Shins mostly I think. Probably shin splints? I find they're happening less often than before.

I need to get a treadmill in the house so I can attempt some ten mile runs (though, the task of completing one before I hit 50 is questionable. I can do that first mile pretty fast, but after that, I'd probably just collapse).

I got really bad shin splints my first year of High School Track (when I started running). I would ice them and work the calves and muscles around the shin. Never had them again.

I would hope you build up to 10. It's way easier if you run slower at the start, ya know :)

#131 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I was in a situation where I used to run a lot, got injured, didn't run for a while, and got back into it thinking it would be just like riding a bike again...not so much. :(

#132 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well the good news is you can get back to where you were (or better) it just takes about 8-12 weeks.

#133 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I will note that despite running second-longest-distance-ever since I took running back up, I had barely any soreness after Saturday. I consider that a pretty massive accomplishment and GREAT motivation. I'm almost positive I can nail the sub-25 min 5K goal I had before the end of this year.

The first break in period was definitely 2-3 months or so; I remember specifically there was one day where I did my 5K trail and never felt the need to stop or walk. Then the run after that felt ever better - I didn't feel like I was just "stepping" through the run rather than actually running. I.e., I can tell when I sort of pull back from some kind of pain/fatigue - I stand more upright instead of leaning forward, and I sort of just mechanically step rather than earnestly push forward.

It takes time, and you'll be frustrated, and it'll hurt and be annoying and suck, but you can definitely overcome all those barriers if you just be patient with yourself.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#134 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Does anyone know just off hand how many laps on a track are the equivalent to a 5K? I'm guessing about 13-14 laps before I try to look it up.

EDIT: I was fairly close. It seems like it's about 12.5 laps. I also found another way that could work.

If you are running on a 400 meter track, start in lane 8 and run each lane once, then run lane 1, 4 times more.
So, 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,1,1,1,1.

Now playing (& watching):
:dvd:-Robot Chicken season 4
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#135 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

5K = 3.1 miles, and a standard track should be 4 laps a mile (0.25 miles per lap). So it's 12 to get to the 3. You might as well run the full thirteenth lap since it would only be 0.15 miles further and report that as your time, because then when you run a true 5K, you'll actually get a faster time. Or you could just run half the lap and call it a day.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#136 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I like that idea, running the little extra distance. Much like dressing for a job interview, overtrain past the actual goal.

35bb9lx.gif

#137 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Don't bring smartypants math into this. A man only has so much blood.

Posted Image

#138 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

One thing to keep in mind is 5k race courses don't tend to be perfectly flat like a track (unless you live somewhere like Ohio or Kansas that's super flat most everywhere).

So you may struggle a bit more during the race if it has some hills and you've only ran the distance on a track or other flat course.

#139 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm thinking of signing up for a race of some sort at the beginning of the year. I'm running about an 8 minute mile (a little bit better I guess) but I have no goals and my motivation is pretty much out the window. I only have 3 days until the holidays too which is going to kill me, unfortunately. I think some sort of goal in front of me would help keep me motivated instead of just going through the motions.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#140 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

also you will almost always run more than "5k". Races are measured as the shortest distance. Most people don't run this. Running tangents really helps.

http://blog.oregonli...s_101_joes.html

also. If you are somewhat serious about knowing you ran a course that is legit. Make sure it is certified. Most courses that are certified will say so on the website for the event. You can always email the race director or check here: http://www.usatf.org...earch/index.asp

#141 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Geez. All these things to think about while running. Makes me want to sit down. Which is the exact opposite of running!

Posted Image

#142 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Solid run today, loving the new shoes.

Distance: 4.00 mi
Time: 36:54
Avg Pace: 9:13 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 114 ft
Calories: 487 C

Will try to get a longer run in on Friday, and then that will probably be it for a week as I'll be going back to my folks for X-mas. I'll probably just use their elliptical rather than running outdoors as I don't feel like lugging running gear and dealing with the cold weather there.

#143 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

15.31 miles on the ol' treadmill in 2 hours. There is snow on the ground and some slick spots. I'd rather numb my brain for a few hours inside than slip, fall and be out of commission.

Watched the new Total Recall- okay way to pass the time.

#144 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Weather is lousy here--pouring rain and windy. Hoping to get a longer run in tomorrow since I head out of town to WV (where it's going to be snowy and shitty all week) on Saturday. Rain is supposed to stop, but it will be around 40 with 20-25 mph wind so going to be rough probably.

#145 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Just as I suspected. I ran two miles today. The first mile was fine, and then I wanted to completely die for that second mile.

My fast mile isn't seeming all that impressive anymore.

#146 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, running a mile fast and running multiple miles is an entirely different ball game when it comes to fitness.

As Strell said earlier, just stay patient and keep at it. You said you ran before so you'll get your fitness back faster than you got it the first time. But it does take a while and can be frustrating. I didn't run a whole lot over the summer and struggled off and on for 3 weeks or so when I got back into it in September. But after that I was back where I was and quickly adding distances beyond what I had done before.

#147 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thanks dmaul! Words of encouragement always help.

#148 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Got a great long slow run in this afternoon. 10 miles, besting my previous long of 8 miles. Was surprised it didn't feel harder, especially with it being a hillier path than my usual routes. I guess eating more today than before the 8 miler last week, and having a Gu energy gel around the halfway point helped. Was pretty cold with the windchill around 32, so glad I had the gloves and headband I bought the other day.

Distance: 10.00 mi
Time: 1:36:47
Avg Pace: 9:40 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 477 ft
Calories: 1,226 C

That will be my last run until probably the 30th as I'll be at my folks for the holidays from tomorrow through the 29th and will probably just use their elliptical rather than screw around finding a place to run and dealing with the cold and snow there. So happy holidays to everyone!

#149 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Planning on trying to go for the sub-25 min 5K tomorrow morning. If I break it tomorrow, then I'll have met my goal for the year. Really looking forward to it.

After that I think I'm going to rest a bit and then run the course a second time as a supplement.

Posted Image

#150 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

dmaul, I'm surprised you ran today. Low temperature isn't too much of a detriment for me but heavy winds are a real dealbreaker. Even though I had other things going on today that prevented me from running, the strong winds in the area would have lowered my desire to get outside anyway.

35bb9lx.gif