Photo
- - - - -

The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#211 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Parker, I'll do that.

Did four miles today in 36:40. I'm pretty sure I could have done it faster, but I was trying to keep it slow and steady.

#212 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

My heart rate hits around 170 bpm when I'm on the treadmill. Does that seem a bit high?

yeah it does. How are you measuring? IMO, heart rate monitors are really the best way followed by good old fashioned counting of pulse.

**if you are just starting out or doing speed work your HR would get that high.

#213 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

yeah it does. How are you measuring? IMO, heart rate monitors are really the best way followed by good old fashioned counting of pulse.

**if you are just starting out or doing speed work your HR would get that high.

I'm using the heart rate things on the treadmill/elliptical. I'm not exactly just starting out (used to run a lot, didn't for a few years, getting back into it again, been doing it for about four months or so). I am doing speed work because I only have an hour for lunch and I have to fit running and weights in at the same time, (four days a week, I dedicate one day to distance running), so in order to get a quick mile in I usually run around 8 mph.

I can't take my own pulse. It grosses me out.

#214 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'm using the heart rate things on the treadmill/elliptical. I'm not exactly just starting out (used to run a lot, didn't for a few years, getting back into it again, been doing it for about four months or so). I am doing speed work because I only have an hour for lunch and I have to fit running and weights in at the same time, (four days a week, I dedicate one day to distance running), so in order to get a quick mile in I usually run around 8 mph.

I can't take my own pulse. It grosses me out.

in that case, I wouldn't think 170 is out of whack

#215 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ok, and 170 is on the high end, it usually sits at around 160.

Thanks dude, I had been worried since getting back into it.

While I'm here: Since today is Thursday I only did a mile. Nothing too impressive, but I figured I'd mention it.

#216 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

42:48 for 5 miles today.

Then I got into a car wreck going home. Hooray!

Oh, I meant to say this earlier, but that time for five miles seems really awesome. I hope that with time and conditioning, I too will get there someday, but it sure doesn't seem like it. I feel like I've hit a wall with my running, but maybe I'm just being impatient.

#217 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Try different...ah, conditions for running. We've kind of mentioned some of them before, but here's some examples:
  • Long, slow run
  • Short, fast run (sprinting a mile)
  • Circuit training - run a mile slow (12 minutes), run a mile fast (9 minutes), alternate
  • Running a normal length, but sprinting for 5 seconds randomly during it, and trying to do this every 2-3 minutes
  • Try running with ankle/wrist weights (start at 1 pound even though you'll feel like a wuss)
  • Run some - and I don't know what everyone else called them - "Around the Worlds," where you go to a stadium and run up one set of stairs, go to the next one, go down, then up the next one, all the way around the stadium
  • Run backwards on a track for 1-2 laps (it'll hurt outrageously really quickly, it's odd how much different it feels)
  • Run trails on one day, roads on another, combinations of the two, at stadium tracks, in the woods, around your neighborhood
  • Ellipticals on off days can certainly help endurance if you up the resistance and/or height (if the height is adjustable)
  • I think there's also a weighted vest you can get; I've always wanted to get one and try out a run with it

There's a lot of variations. The more you do, the better, since they will all work different muscles in different capacities. I need to start doing a lot of this stuff.

Thanks for the compliment. It's roughly 8:30 miles, which isn't terrible considering that it was only the second time I've run since getting the flu, but I'd love to get it more near the 7 minute mark.

The two ultimate goals I have for this year are a 21 minute 5K and to run a marathon, and hopefully improve more next year, etc etc. In the interim, I need to be running minimum twice a week, try to bump it up to three.

Of course, the damn car wreck is going to screw that up for a bit...

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#218 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

That's a very good 5 mile pace Strell!

I've been on the lamb again as the foot was a little sore again after the five miler Sunday, and I've since came down with a cold. Foot's feeling better, hoping the cold doesn't' get worse and I can at least get a shorter run in over the weekend.

#219 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

to further Strell..

Not sure sprinting for 5 second in the middle of a normal run will do much. Usually it a 1 min pick up (just picking up the pace) followed by 2-3 min rest and doing 3-6 of those in a run. It's called fartlek.

In order of getting better I would say

1a.) Base runs- Just normal everyday runs when you aren't doing anything special
1b.) Long slow run- should be able to talk and run
2.) Tempo runs (usually 20 minutes at a quicker than normal pace)
3.) Fartlek or intervals (called circuit above)- additionally these can be any distance from 1/4 to 1 mile
4.) Hill repeats- great for strength.

Generally you start with 1 long and base runs. After 3-4 weeks, swap up a base run day to a 2, 3, 4. After another 3-4 weeks you can add another base day, then repeat. The average regular runners should only do 2 of the difficult workouts a week.

Once week a month you should drop the specific workout and mileage for a rest week. Just do easy base runs.

#220 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

It's called fartlek.

Oh thank god. I knew the term, and I swore up and down the guy that told it to me was trolling. Granted, I thought it was spelled "lick."

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#221 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Wow. Some great advice. I'll be printing this out tomorrow because I think it's time I sat down and wrote out a schedule. I think I'll also see about getting into work 15 minutes or so earlier so I can take a longer lunch and focus on the running more. Thanks a lot guys.

#222 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

Wow. Some great advice. I'll be printing this out tomorrow because I think it's time I sat down and wrote out a schedule. I think I'll also see about getting into work 15 minutes or so earlier so I can take a longer lunch and focus on the running more. Thanks a lot guys.

Probably obvious but helps to have a goal in mind..a races, time trial etc. so you can tailor your training. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.. (I coach a few runners online)

#223 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

I've never kept goals in the past due to the detriment it would have on my morale if I wasn't able to reach them (I tend to set them pretty high). I may give it a shot though since this meandering doesn't seem to be helping my conditioning.

#224 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've never kept goals in the past due to the detriment it would have on my morale if I wasn't able to reach them (I tend to set them pretty high). I may give it a shot though since this meandering doesn't seem to be helping my conditioning.

I meant having a purpose for your running... wanting to run a half marathon in a specific time is different that simply wanting to run 3X a week.

#225 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ohhhhhh...gotchya.

#226 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

8.15 miles on the treadmill today. In the middle was a 5k in 17:59. Every year my goal is to get a 5k under 18 minutes, so it wasn't official but I did it.

#227 bhk

bhk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

Starting the couch to 5K program tomorrow, so I figured I'd get in on this thread.

#228 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

My running has gotten slower these last few weeks... Until today. Had a breakout day. I did 8.06 miles in 59:39 and was barely even tired. Rate of 8.1 mph and 7:23 miles. Keep in mind this was on a treadmill but I've been having trouble with 7 miles in an hour recently and this was comparatively much easier today.

I think I need to do more varied running routines as strell suggested though if im going to reach 9 miles in an hour by the end of may

#229 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

another 6.35 miles on the treadmill today...

#230 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

double run today

am 7.54 miles
pm 3.71 miles both easy pace a little under 8 min./ mile

#231 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Finally got a run. My cold kept me from running over the weekend and weather hadn't cooperated this week until today.

Struggled a bit since I'm still not 100% over the cold, but still felt good to get back out there.

Distance: 3.01 mi
Time: 27:00
Avg Pace: 8:59 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 106 ft
Calories: 364 C

#232 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

This car wreck injury becomes more infuriating by the day, primarily because I know I can't run on it. Shit.

Posted Image

#233 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Ran 7.37 miles today.

I've been getting together with a group of dudes for wednesday lunch runs for the past couple years. We are all similar ability and it's a good way to get a run in.

#234 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

15.5 miles this morning on the treadmill.. Some days you just have to get your ass up and do it.

#235 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Got a solid 5 miles in a bit ago.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 43:42
Avg Pace: 8:44 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 506 ft
Calories: 605 C

Hope to get 3 or so runs in this week as I'll be off for a week to ten days after Friday (vasectomy).

Foot still bugging me some, but not getting worse and doesn't make me limp when walking or alter my gait when running so I'll just ignore it unless it gets worse I guess.

#236 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

totally kick as workout today.

I did 4 one mile repeats...each one got faster and I felt great on the last 2.

5:45, 5:41. 5:41 and 5:36

dmaul- I was off for 5 days post -vasectomy. I probably should've taken a week

#237 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

Ended up lifting and doing 25 minutes on the elliptical today (treadmills in my condo gym were all taken).

#238 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Got another solid 5 miles in a bit ago.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 43:17
Avg Pace: 8:39 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 124 ft
Calories: 608 C

#239 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

12.54 miles in before the snow. Ran with the guys at lunch.

#240 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

I've ruined a second pair of earbuds in three months from sweat. Any recommendations for earbuds? Sound quality isn't super important since ill only use them to run. Just want cheap but durable