Photo
- - - - -

The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#241 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I've ruined a second pair of earbuds in three months from sweat. Any recommendations for earbuds? Sound quality isn't super important since ill only use them to run. Just want cheap but durable

not necessarily earbuds but I usually wear a headband or a running hat when I run. It really keeps my ears dry

something like this... http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

#242 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I've ruined a second pair of earbuds in three months from sweat. Any recommendations for earbuds? Sound quality isn't super important since ill only use them to run. Just want cheap but durable

Go to Deal Extreme and buy the cheapest pair of earbuds they have. If you buy 10 with bulk rate prices you can get 10 pairs for ~$15 shipped. It comes from China so it takes a few weeks to arrive, but it's super cheap and they take PayPal. I just buy them like this and then throw them away every month or so when I ruin them.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#243 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

For headphones for working out/running I love these:

http://www.amazon.co...sony headphones

Cheap, durable, stay on when moving and last a long time. First pair I had lasted six years or so despite that my profuse sweating always snagging cables on weights in the gym and pulling them off my head or the plug out of my ipod etc. I wear a running hat, but I soak through it pretty quickly unless its very cold out. I sweat ridiculously for a skinny dude.

Rainy today, so did some lifting and 3 miles on the treadmill in 26:58. And with that I"m off for at least a week after the vasectomy this afternoon.

#244 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

For headphones for working out/running I love these:

http://www.amazon.co...sony headphones

Cheap, durable, stay on when moving and last a long time. First pair I had lasted six years or so despite that my profuse sweating always snagging cables on weights in the gym and pulling them off my head or the plug out of my ipod etc. I wear a running hat, but I soak through it pretty quickly unless its very cold out. I sweat ridiculously for a skinny dude.

Rainy today, so did some lifting and 3 miles on the treadmill in 26:58. And with that I"m off for at least a week after the vasectomy this afternoon.

I'll try these. The price is right if nothing else. I never used to sweat a lot but since I started drinking a lot of water I sweat like a beast now after a few miles

@ yousickenme,
Will probably try a headband because I don't like hats at all

#245 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

When I run I just enjoy nature, man.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain

:dvd:-009-1
:br:-Star Wars: Clone Wars season 3
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#246 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I live in a city. Run in a park and on a paved rail trail most of the tme, but still near roads so lots of traffic noise etc. Thus some music helps with the zoning out.

#247 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Oh, I realize that, it was just a little teasing, nothing malicious. :)

35bb9lx.gif

#248 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

I can't ever see myself running with headphones of any kind. I just get the feeling it would drive me crazy after a while. It's the same reasoning behind not wanting an arm band for a phone - I think I'd just hate that sensation after a while. I only have my watch and a single car key that I stow away in one of those shoelace pocket things when I'm running.

I think I'm going to try and hit the trail tomorrow and see how it goes. Will probably take it slow, easy, and not very far. I absolutely want to get back out there, but don't want to run (ho ho) the risk of hurting myself and delaying better/longer runs. But it's been three weeks and I just keep itching for it.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#249 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hmm, I used to feel the same way. But I train a lot~ 7-8 hours a week. That's a lot time to be in your head.

IMO headphones are required for the treadmill. Many studies have shown that perceived effort is lower with music.

on most of my runs, I listen to podcasts. I have so many and it's a good way to catch up on them. I mostly run on city streets, paved parks, etc. I have instituted a 'no headphones policy' on one of my runs per week.

However, I NEVER race with headphones. I need to be in the moment.

#250 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Probably did around 3~4 miles today (didn't take my GPS watch) with some friends. Pace felt like it was somewhere in the sevens.

I can only run without music if I'm in a group. Running is my least favorite part of exercising, so I do everything I can to forget that I'm actually doing it.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#251 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

That's a lot time to be in your head.

Heh. I think I consider the running itself as a form of escapism, so it's just nice to not really have much to think about. I just kind of take in the run itself, not having to worry about all the little chores and tasks and things I need to work on when I'm done.

Granted, maybe if I was doing that much running as you are, I'd change my mind.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#252 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, I use the music to focus on the run.

Ran 4.25 easy miles today.

#253 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

For me the music helps quiet my mind more as well. When I run without I'm more apt to still be thinking about work and other stress.

#254 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

I did five miles today and I watched a movie on my iPad. It really helped keep my eyes off the distance counter.

#255 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

I did five miles today and I watched a movie on my iPad. It really helped keep my eyes off the distance counter.

I hope you were on the treadmill

#256 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

I hope you were on the treadmill

Maybe he was riding the bus. :razz:
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#257 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Lol. Yeah, it was a treadmill.

I watched Dante's Inferno on Netflix.

#258 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

phew... 16 miles on the treadmill in 2 hr. 6 min 9 sec (7:53). Mentally tough one.

Glad I had the Walking Dead to catch up on.

#259 bhk

bhk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

phew... 16 miles on the treadmill in 2 hr. 6 min 9 sec (7:53). Mentally tough one.

This is coming from someone currently in week 3 of couch to 5K but....How do you feel after runs like that? Normal? Does your body adjust? Because I think I'd be about ready to die after i finished.

#260 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

jesus

#261 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

This is coming from someone currently in week 3 of couch to 5K but....How do you feel after runs like that? Normal? Does your body adjust? Because I think I'd be about ready to die after i finished.

well right after, I am pretty spent. But as soon as I eat and hydrate. I feel better. After an hour..pretty much normal with some slight leg fatigue. That's why it is super important to get some food/ drink in you after a run. Chocolate milk is the best.

BUT I do have to build up to it. After I've had some time off or when I start a new training cycle, the first few long runs are more painful. Tired/ sore the next day. When that doesn't happen, I know I'm getting in shape.

#262 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

u, do you ever come down from the mountains to race? I'd think doing your training at a higher elevation would give you a pretty decent advantage.

35bb9lx.gif

#263 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Ten miles is my longest so far and my experience mostly echoes the above. Spent after, ok after some Gatorade and food, maybe a little sore the next day.

I started with couch to 5k about this time last year and felt the same as you. You just gradually build up endurance as you stick with running and eventually distances that sound impossible right now will feel easier than even the little run walk intervals your ob currently. When I was doing those early weeks even three or four miles seemed awful, now five miles is my standard easy run and I've done several 6-10 mile runs and will probably do a half sometime. Maybe this fall. The big local one is coming up soon but I decided to skip it since the vasectomy would have wrecked my training to close to it.

#264 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

well right after, I am pretty spent. But as soon as I eat and hydrate. I feel better. After an hour..pretty much normal with some slight leg fatigue. That's why it is super important to get some food/ drink in you after a run. Chocolate milk is the best.

BUT I do have to build up to it. After I've had some time off or when I start a new training cycle, the first few long runs are more painful. Tired/ sore the next day. When that doesn't happen, I know I'm getting in shape.

I find that after I run long distances at slower speeds, my legs tend to really hurt after even to the point of having to hobble a bit. Then again, I'm a bit of a noob at this point.

Mile sprints don't really impact me all that much at this point. I'm talking four or more miles.

#265 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

So I've been running between 8 and 12 miles daily but my left shin started hurting a few days ago. The day after I noticed it acting up the pain was too much for me to run on at all. I wound up getting sick so I took a few days off anyway. Started up again today and felt fine until tonight some time after my run. Shin splints? How long should I stay off it? I really didn't want to lose my edge, I was making real progress. I guess elliptical and swimming will have to do for now

#266 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

So I've been running between 8 and 12 miles daily but my left shin started hurting a few days ago. The day after I noticed it acting up the pain was too much for me to run on at all. I wound up getting sick so I took a few days off anyway. Started up again today and felt fine until tonight some time after my run. Shin splints? How long should I stay off it? I really didn't want to lose my edge, I was making real progress. I guess elliptical and swimming will have to do for now

Ice and stretch the calf. Strengthen the muscles with toe raises. (Seated, feet flat on floor, slowly raise your toes up keeping the heel on the ground. You should feel it in the shin. Calf raises work too- youtube them)

I find that after I run long distances at slower speeds, my legs tend to really hurt after even to the point of having to hobble a bit. Then again, I'm a bit of a noob at this point.

Mile sprints don't really impact me all that much at this point. I'm talking four or more miles.

Actually that make perfect sense. You've trained your "fast-twitch" muscles to work efficiently with all the fast running you've done. But when you run slow, you are recruiting those "slow twitch" muscles which haven't built up any endurance (yet). The intensity of the fast runs is too great for the "slow twitch" muscles to be stimulated optimally, so they lag behind. The intensity of the slow runs is too low to recruit the fast twitch muscles you've built up.

This is way variety of pace is the SINGLE best thing a runner can do to improve.

#267 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Actually that make perfect sense. You've trained your "fast-twitch" muscles to work efficiently with all the fast running you've done. But when you run slow, you are recruiting those "slow twitch" muscles which haven't built up any endurance (yet). The intensity of the fast runs is too great for the "slow twitch" muscles to be stimulated optimally.

This is way variety of pace is the SINGLE best thing a runner can do to improve.

Ah, ok, I see what you're saying. I was under the impression that I was using the same muscles, just at different speeds and lengths of time. I just started doing more slow distance so it would make sense that I haven't yet broken them in and would explain the pain.

Luckily, I have decided to do a long distance run on Wednesday AND Saturday instead of just Wednesday. I have to say, I think I enjoy the longer and slower runs. I feel like I get way more out of them as opposed to the fast miles (and I'm not talking just in regards to calorie burning).

I average around 6.5 mph on my slow runs.

#268 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

Good luck. I like my slower runs too. I call them my "no pressure" runs. Just get out there are do it.

#269 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thanks! I still do the quick runs on some days to get weights in, but I just enjoy the slow runs more.

But, with that being said, yesterday I ran a mile in 6:52! Couldn't believe if, espc since I'm just coming off a bad case of food poisoning.

No clue if that is an impressive time or not, but when I started up again back in November it took me 12 minutes to run a mile. That's quite the improvement.

Today is my four mile day. Lets see how I do.

#270 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'd say it's pretty solid considering everything.