Amazon offering Prime for $7.99/month?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 bchampnd

bchampnd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

How is the prime video service VS netflix?

I'd say Netflix is definitely better in terms of library and interface but Amazon has been stepping up its game lately adding a lot of TV shows.

The problem with Amazon is that it also rents/sells movies and TV shows so you'll run into situations where Amazon has the movie you want but it's not included with Prime or, with TV shows, some seasons are included with Prime while others aren't.

Prime Instant Video might not be worth it on it's own but it's definitely a nice bonus for me since I was subscribing to Prime before the video service was added.

#62 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

thanks. I logged out, and then used the link you posted. that is the only way the 7.99 option would appear for me. I tend to do most of my amazon shoping around the holidays, when the shipping time is more important.

rest of the year when I do buy, I usually just pad orders for the free super saver shipping.

Same here. Had to log out, click the $7.99 link, log in and then got to choose the $7.99. This will make black friday and cyber monday sales that much better :)

#63 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'd say Netflix is definitely better in terms of library and interface but Amazon has been stepping up its game lately adding a lot of TV shows.

The problem with Amazon is that it also rents/sells movies and TV shows so you'll run into situations where Amazon has the movie you want but it's not included with Prime or, with TV shows, some seasons are included with Prime while others aren't.

Prime Instant Video might not be worth it on it's own but it's definitely a nice bonus for me since I was subscribing to Prime before the video service was added.

Thanks for the information.

#64 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

thanks. I logged out, and then used the link you posted. that is the only way the 7.99 option would appear for me. I tend to do most of my amazon shoping around the holidays, when the shipping time is more important.

rest of the year when I do buy, I usually just pad orders for the free super saver shipping.

O wow thanks. :)

#65 Serious McMopy

Serious McMopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Meh, does not matter. I rather keep the yearly subscription, anyhow. I order stuff from Amazon all the time.

For those asking, while Prime Instant is a nice bonus, it's not good enough to replace Netflix. While there are many shared titles (e.g. Star Trek, Epix deal, etc.), and even a title or two on Prime Instant that is not on Netflix (e.g. Degrassi, Gilligan's Island, Coneheads, etc.), there is a lot more content that is not on Prime Instant that is on Netflix. Also, Prime Instant is missing features, like "Recently Watched", and such.

#66 FEN1XD0WN

FEN1XD0WN

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

definitely not a new member, just logged in and sure enough i had the offer for $7.99. cant pass up that deal. one thing im glad to have with their video service is a lot of imdb.com movies arent on netflix but prime has them...so thats a plus.

#67 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Prime instant video isn't the greatest service but I consider it free with my account. So with that in mind, it's pretty good.

#68 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Since my year of free student Prime, I've gotten 2 renewals at half price. Until that runs out I'll stick with it, since it's about 5 months of the monthly price and I certainly order more off Amazon than that. Plus, padding the $8 Last Story order would have sucked last weekend :] With Prime, it was click and go, didn't miss the deal.
Posted Image

#69 wirechild

wirechild

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Just wanted to add another big advantage for prime is the free kindle books each month. Easily saved my $50 this year. I justify prime for the shipping and get the movies and books for free.

I am currently on year 3 of the student $40/yr pricing but will glad pay $80 after my 4th year.

#70 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hmmmm I think I would definitely opt for 7.99 a month around the holidays instead of paying $80 a year.

agree, perfect for holiday shopping

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#71 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Couldent get $7.99 option to pop up, but once I logged out, private browsing. click link, worked like a charm. Thanks OP!
Posted Image

#72 Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

The link on page 4 worked in incognito mode. Thank you :-D

#73 JohnWayne

JohnWayne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Just signed up for the month, does amazon usually offer good deals on Black Friday?

#74 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

its not just for "new" accounts since my account is from like 2004 and I am eligible unless you think 8+ years ago is a "new" account.
Posted Image

#75 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

let's just hope some of you folks actually keep the monthly service and don't just dump it after Christmas as this is the option i prefer over 1 lump sum

But...isn't that the whole point of buying the monthly version instead of the cheaper full year?? Surely Amazon expects exactly this to happen. They should have just called it "Holiday Prime" for $25 Nov20-Jan15.

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in their Prime Service? I am regularly ordering stuff that takes well beyond the 2 day shipping to deliver. I noticed more of their items are becoming fullfilled by a third party as well.

No and no. Unless you're ordering on the weekend, they ship out and get it to you exactly when it should be (2 days). Third party fulfillment still ships from Amazon, it's using other vendor's stock that is stored at an Amazon warehouse. It's not like the Marketplace where you're at the mercy of how quickly they can make it to the post office. Amazon has 100% control of it.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#76 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

But...isn't that the whole point of buying the monthly version instead of the cheaper full year?? Surely Amazon expects exactly this to happen. They should have just called it "Holiday Prime" for $25 Nov20-Jan15.

No and no. Unless you're ordering on the weekend, they ship out and get it to you exactly when it should be (2 days). Third party fulfillment still ships from Amazon, it's using other vendor's stock that is stored at an Amazon warehouse. It's not like the Marketplace where you're at the mercy of how quickly they can make it to the post office. Amazon has 100% control of it.

not really i can see people taking a month or two off over the course of a year so for people who do a ton of preordering this is perfect

#77 Trelow

Trelow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

Legit for me.
Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#78 razrvamp

razrvamp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

My prime automatically renewed today and it was the normal yearly price.

#79 Kay_Faraday

Kay_Faraday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Just signed up for the month. Thanks. :D

#80 AnatomyHorror

AnatomyHorror

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Nice, it's giving me the $7.99 option as well.

#81 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Guess the 7.99 a month is gone now ;/

#82 Kay_Faraday

Kay_Faraday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

yeah, I just read an article about that. why'd they remove it :/

#83 Abeja

Abeja

CAG with No Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

I had the free sutdent Prime then just paided for the $39/year price. The offer lasted awhile.