RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

• Please log in to reply
1502 replies to this topic

#781 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Are you all telling me that you can spell rainbow without Reyn?

Posted Image

#782 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Man, what a bunch of jokers.

#783 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Juju is awesome because he's not in the game 95% of the time.

I thought Dunban was pretty badass.

Spoiler
ended up being a badass, but only because
Spoiler

Spoiler

I find it weird they want me to take someone named Shulk seriously.

I know JRPG's have characters with dumb names, but that one is at the top for me.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#784 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

It's actually all about Dunban, the Balthier of Xenoblade.

He does not have that much swaggah

I find it weird they want me to take someone named Shulk seriously.

I know JRPG's have characters with dumb names, but that one is at the top for me.

Edge Maverick

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#785 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Edge Maverick

Is better than Shulk. At least it's so stupid it's awesome. Shulk is just dumb.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#786 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

"Monado" is still the silliest name in the game.

Posted Image

#787 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Monado. Monado. THE MONADO.

*** the Monado.

I still think Fayt Leingod is a stupid name.

#788 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Weapons have had worst names.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#789 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

i also hate using japanese voices and hearing different things than what's translated
Every day's great at your Junes!

#790 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

i also hate using japanese voices and hearing different things than what's translated

Not an RPG, but my favorite instance of that is one of the live-action segments in Otaku No Video, where an English-speaking otaku is dubbed over in Japanese (but you can still hear him in the background), and the English subtitles of the Japanese dubbing are completely different from what he's saying :lol:
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#791 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

Jesus Christ. Just used part of the massive pile of plasma mines and C4 that ED-E's been lugging across the wasteland for me to set a trap for a deathclaw matriarch and alpha, only to realize that my melee-and-explosives Courier didn't actually have a regular gun with which to get their attention from afar to lure them in.

On the plus side, I'm now really good at mortaring distant targets with my grenade launcher.

EDIT: Incidentally, rusty super sledge > legendary deathclaw.

Edited by The Crotch, 28 January 2013 - 07:54 AM.

Posted Image

#792 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

The new Fire Emblem has marriages and you can recruit the offspring of those marriages, like in Fire Emblem 4 which is the best game in the series.

Soooooooooooooooooo idk

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#793 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

The new Fire Emblem has marriages and you can recruit the offspring of those marriages, like in Fire Emblem 4 which is the best game in the series.

Soooooooooooooooooo idk

Posted Image

#794 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Posted Image

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#795 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Jesus Christ. Just used part of the massive pile of plasma mines and C4 that ED-E's been lugging across the wasteland for me to set a trap for a deathclaw matriarch and alpha, only to realize that my melee-and-explosives Courier didn't actually have a regular gun with which to get their attention from afar to lure them in.

On the plus side, I'm now really good at mortaring distant targets with my grenade launcher.

EDIT: Incidentally, rusty super sledge > legendary deathclaw.

I had way more fun with New Vegas than I did 3. And I enjoyed 3 quite a bit.

Alpha Protocol was badass, too. What's the deal with Obsidian's bad rep?

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#796 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

A lot of things. They got an early reputation as "Bioware's Little Brother" with KotOR 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2. Their QA methodology was horribly archaic up until Dungeon Siege 3. With the exception of Alpha Protocol, which had its own weird set of problems during development, their games suffered huge deadline issues. And they seem to be the major exception to the "super high production values" trend in RPGs lately that we've seen with Bioware, CD Projekt, and Bethesda, which kinda feeds back in to the first thing.

EDIT: Also, they put Chris Avellone in charge of most of the New Vegas DLCs. And while I respect the Fuck out of the man, he has some very strange ideas sometimes.

Posted Image

#797 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

I had way more fun with New Vegas than I did 3. And I enjoyed 3 quite a bit.

My husband loved what he played of New Vegas, but he ended up dropping it because he couldn't stand dealing with all the bugs.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#798 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

The only good thing I can say about the bugs in New Vegas is that mods and console commands have got my ass covered in a lot of cases. No way in hell would I play it, or any of Bethesda's games, on a console.

Posted Image

#799 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

What's the deal with Obsidian's bad rep?

They are astoundingly good at taking someone else's engine and somehow exposing bugs and performance issues that weren't present before, but like Crotch said if you play on PC you can assume that most of those can be modded away or dealt with.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#800 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

The only good thing I can say about the bugs in New Vegas is that mods and console commands have got my ass covered in a lot of cases. No way in hell would I play it, or any of Bethesda's games, on a console.

He played on PC as well, but I don't know if he considered using mods (if that's even possible with that game via Steam).

ETA: Just asked him about it. He was planning on installing a savegame mod one of these days to fix the biggest problem he was having, but is currently prioritizing Skyrim (which he hasn't found the time to start yet :-P).
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#801 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Yeah, you can still use mods and console commands on the Steam version.

I'm playing a reasonably modded game at the moment. One to avoid the autosave bug, a decent pile to remove a lot of the console-friendly features/restrictions, one to make companions less talkative in Dead Money, and one slight alteration to Lonesome Road. The only real major mod I use is a rebalance mod created by the game's lead designer. He'd said that he was surprised at the number of complaints that New Vegas was too hard in comparison to Fallout 3, and his mod makes the game a good deal more difficult.

Posted Image

#802 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I have no problem with Obsidian as a developer. I thought New Vegas was really good and I didn't face any major bugs when I was playing it on PC.

Although I didn't care for Alpha Protocol. Felt too much like a meh Deus Ex ripoff. Dungeon Siege III had solid mechanics but I lost interest fast because I didn't care for the story or the world. Not Obsidian's fault on that one.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#803 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I liked Alpha Protocol. It was fun, and I could finish it on easy. It had colorful, interesting characters.

I think I would have preferred New Vegas over Fallout 3, if the Vegas strip had actually been bigger and more interesting. I had several quests go buggy on me as well. I probably relied on a guide too much and felt just strung along by the story as well. Wasn't much sense of discovery. The feel of being a rogue operator and turning all three sides against each other wasn't really succesfull either.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#804 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

See, I was kinda disappointed by Human Revolution. My favourite memory of the original game (aside from the
Spoiler
bit) was the first time I made an enemy explode by remote-detonating a rocket he had just launched at me. That was some really sweet-ass shit, and Human Revolution just had none of that. It had the standard set of abilities - cloaking, faster running, durability - and a "make everything explode" button, but nothing I could really get any enjoyment out of using.

Alpha Protocol's shooting was quite bad and its balance was nonexistent, but I had a lot of fun fucking around with chain shot and mass throat-punches and shit.

Posted Image

#805 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

enjoying xenoblade so far, up to the part where i have to go to colony 6

Spoiler

the japanese/english stuff confuses me.

japanese: you can call me karna!
english: my name is sharla.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#806 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I never did finish even a fraction of colony 6's subquests... Maybe on a new game plus run at some point.

Really enjoying Ni No Kuni, even if the pacing is pretty terrible (can't really capture new familiars until ~ 13 hours in, got 3rd party member ~ 20 hours in...). I'm only about 25 hours in (just got the
Spoiler
ability) but I have a depressingly sinking suspicion that
Spoiler

For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#807 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I finally got Tales of Grace f from PlayAsia. I'm going to finish Persona 4 Golden before I get into it. How is Tales of Grace f? I heard so many good things about the Tales series but this is my first Tales game.

#808 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Combat is fun, story (before the f arc) is bad.

elessar123.png

#809 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I never did finish even a fraction of colony 6's subquests... Maybe on a new game plus run at some point.

Really enjoying Ni No Kuni, even if the pacing is pretty terrible (can't really capture new familiars until ~ 13 hours in, got 3rd party member ~ 20 hours in...). I'm only about 25 hours in (just got the

Spoiler
ability) but I have a depressingly sinking suspicion that
Spoiler

I love that Rugrats theory, but I don't think Ni No Kuni is going to go that route. That would be way too deep for a RPG.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#810 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

I love that Rugrats theory, but I don't think Ni No Kuni is going to go that route. That would be way too deep for a RPG.

An SRPG
Spoiler
kinda went that route.

elessar123.png