Yeah, but nobody liked that game.

Posted Image

#812 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

That game had a story?
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#813 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

An SRPG

Spoiler
kinda went that route.

Wasn't that made apparent at the beginning of the game though?

And besides, it was some stupid side character that nobody cared about.

Much like all the other characters.

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#814 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Third or fourth dungeon in Persona 2. Collecting cards is tedious though. Of course, the catch 22 is that if you collect the cards (as opposed to fighting the battles and leveling), you're not a high enough level to use the cards.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#815 huldrelok

huldrelok

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Playing ys; seven, legend of heroes: trails in the sky and persona 3 ATM. Can't put my vita down for a minute.

#816 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Too bad none of those games are Vita games.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#817 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

There are Vita games? I thought the vita was just a way to play P4 Golden and PSP games on a slightly bigger screen?
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers

#818 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

There are Vita games? I thought the vita was just a way to play P4 Golden and PSP games on a slightly bigger screen?

You kind of answered your own question there.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#819 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Uncharted: Golden Shower is pretty decent so far. :P

#820 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

all i can think of during xenoblade chronicles is

DICKSON SAN
DANBAN SAN
Every day's great at your Junes!

#821 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Awwww shit. Mothafuckin' Project Eternity update.

But it's not one of the cool ones with a video. Just a shitload of text behind the spoiler:

Spoiler

Tl;dr: way too many words about the difficulties of doors.

Posted Image

#822 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Doors can be tricky. Push? Pull? Wait for it to open itself? I can only imagine the issues they raise in game development. It's good to know they cracked the door conundrum. It's all downhill for them, now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#823 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

There was a reason why old Resident Evil games had the door animation go into first person :P

Doors are hard and most heroes of our video games usually need an NPC to open them :D

Real talk, this thread should be hyped about the new deets for The Witcher 3. Watch out! Geralt's got a horse now!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#824 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Wet panties everywhere.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#825 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Further adventures in the best game series I am somehow incapable of enjoying.

Doors can be tricky. Push? Pull? Wait for it to open itself? I can only imagine the issues they raise in game development. It's good to know they cracked the door conundrum. It's all downhill for them, now.

Posted Image

#826 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

ooh ff tactics war of the lions on sale on psn

i wanted to play that game with a proper translation

some of the games that i'm playing from the ps1 and earlier... holy crap i never realized how silly they sounded, so many strange translations and grammar issues

#827 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Just read this great piece (scroll down to "Feature: What's Wrong with Square Enix", though the rest is good, too) - http://www.animenews...tton/2013-02-06

Somehow I'd forgotten just how much talent Square Enix (really, just Square) has bled over the years. In addition to the ones who were mentioned, there's also the time Nobuo Uematsu went freelance.

It's also ironic that the column's news section starts with the recent XSEED announcements, since XSEED was founded by former Square Enix NA staff!

As for what I've been playing, started Tales of the Abyss last week but haven't touched it in a few days in favor of other games. It's all right so far.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#828 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

even though squeenix lost talent, i don't believe any of that talent would have helped.

on soundtrack, great music helps but generally it doesn't make a game good. chrono cross has an excellent soundtrack but you'd be hardpressed to say it's a really good game, likewise, improving the sound in ff12 wouldn't have made it any better.

the xeno studio... xenosaga was not great.

sakaguchi produced spirits within before leaving, and his studio created blue dragon and lost odyssey. i can't comment on LO but blue dragon seemed like a bust.

i would attribute their failures to the dilution of their brands. final fantasy's started with crystal chronicles and it was made further worse with XI and XIV being official entries, and now there's X-2 and XIII-2 and XIII-3 now? and who knows what's going on with KH.

#829 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

on soundtrack, great music helps but generally it doesn't make a game good. chrono cross has an excellent soundtrack but you'd be hardpressed to say it's a really good game, likewise, improving the sound in ff12 wouldn't have made it any better.

I agree about Chrono Cross, but Hitoshi Sakimoto/Basiscape has worked on both Square and non-Square games for a long time, so I don't see what FFXII has to do with anything, sound-wise. Matsuno was a huge loss, though, IMO.

i would attribute their failures to the dilution of their brands. final fantasy's started with crystal chronicles and it was made further worse with XI and XIV being official entries, and now there's X-2 and XIII-2 and XIII-3 now? and who knows what's going on with KH.

It's a combination of factors, but the "bleeding talent" one is important and almost always overlooked for some odd reason.

Right now, what I find most ironic is that the Enix side is doing okay, the Eidos side is doing great, and Taito's doing decently as well (AFAIK), but the company that brought them all together, Squaresoft, is going through this identity crisis.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#830 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

So my Xbox has been paperweight for a while now and am planning on getting a PS3 soon. Any recommendations as far as JRPGs go? I was thinking of Tales of Graces F, and was thinking of picking up at least one or two more JRPGs.

#831 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I don't know. I don't think talent is as much of an issue for SE as management. There still seems to be a lot of talent there, despite people leaving.

So my Xbox has been paperweight for a while now and am planning on getting a PS3 soon. Any recommendations as far as JRPGs go? I was thinking of Tales of Graces F, and was thinking of picking up at least one or two more JRPGs.

If you like SRPGs, Valkyria Chronicles is a requirement.

As for JRPGs, I've liked what I've played of Ni No Kuni, tho it does have its flaws. I think that's the only one outside of FFXIII that I've played on my PS3. Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is probably the best of this gen's JRPG.
Posted Image

#832 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Ni No Kuni is good, if not "great". It's a nice "wholesome" RPG (kind of the same feeling I get from Dragon Quest games). It's not an "epic" RPG (FF, Xenoblade) and it has some pacing issues, but I really enjoyed it (~90% done, taking a bit of a break).

Really wish I there was more incentive to mix up the use of your familiars though. I've pretty much used the same team with one or two additions the whole game (if we include evolutions).

#833 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Wow, I COMPLETELY forgot about Ni No Kuni. I might just get that. Valkyria Profile seems pretty awesome. I've been playing the PSP version. Don't know how I forgot about that one, haha. Thanks for the recommendations!

Xenoblade Chronicles was indeed a great game.

#834 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Tales of Grace F is really good. I'd played over 15 hours and loving it so far. The combat system is really fun. Eternal Sonata was the first jrpg I played on the PS3. The story is blah but it's fun. Also PSN has a Final Fantasy sale going on with majority of the classic FF titles at $5 and $10 either PS1 classics and PSP.

#835 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Wow, I COMPLETELY forgot about Ni No Kuni. I might just get that. Valkyria Profile seems pretty awesome. I've been playing the PSP version. Don't know how I forgot about that one, haha. Thanks for the recommendations!

Xenoblade Chronicles was indeed a great game.

Also Tales of Xillia is coming out this year. I can't wait!

#836 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Also Tales of Xillia is coming out this year. I can't wait!

Hoping for some cool LE/CE, but not holding my breath. Just hope it sells well enough to convince them to localize Xillia 2...

#837 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

In having one console for a big family growing up, there was a lot of fighting over "who gets a turn." Invariably you'd be stuck watching. I never enjoyed watching others game, but some of my family did, especially on the really deep JRPGs, I'd offer them the controller and they'd insist, "No, keep going." I'd just shrug my shoulders, fail to understand them, and game on.

However, in reading reviews of Ni No Kuni and watching the gameplay, I think NNK might be a games that brings me closer to the observer impulse. I think I'd rather watch someone play NNK than play it myself. It looks great, it's creative, but I'd rather just sit over here and read this book or eat this fruit roll-up while you go through all that. Shout out when you get to a boss or a good part.

EDIT:

Also, Wasteland 2 is shaping up nicely.

Edited by dothog, 09 February 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#838 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Oh, that combat looks lovely.

Not so sure about their stat system, though. Agility was a billion times more important than any other stat in the first two Fallout games, and I expect coordination will be the same in Wasteland 2.

EDIT: Was that a random roll on the lockpicking? Ew.

EDIT2: Wonder if the MCA character was just named that for the video or if the game will actually have an NPC with that name. If not, I think I'm morally obligated to make him.

Posted Image

#839 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

WL2 looks cool and all but goddamn them for using Unity.

#840 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

But it's easy.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.