RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

• Please log in to reply
1502 replies to this topic

#841 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

hmm, never played (or honestly heard of) Wasteland, but that new game looks pretty tight.

Really enjoying Fire Emblem Path of Radiance right now. It's been in my backlog forever, but I'd never played a FE before and kept putting it off (hard for me to get into strategy games). LOVED the demo for Awakening on 3DS, so figured I'd play the one I already own before eventually getting that.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#842 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like Path of Radiance. The normal difficulty was too easy, and when I started again in the harder one, several battles were too tough. The final battle in particular was just about impossible and I never beat it. Overall, much of my experience was frustrating; because of that, my first Fire Emblem ended up being my last. At least I was able to sell it recently for quite a bit more than I originally bought it for.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#843 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Be glad you didn't play its sequel. That game had some serious bullshit in it.

Posted Image

#844 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Had to share this after learning about

Megaman Spirte Game,an rpg which is similar to Barkley Shut up and Jam: Gaiden.

#845 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm getting errors when I try to watch that :-|

Just realized I have four RPGs on preorder (or Steam prepurchase) right now-- the pending games are Etrian Odyssey IV, Pandora's Tower, Rune Factory 4, and Ys I & II Chronicles+, and the only non-RPG game I have preordered is the SCII: Heart of the Swarm CE. With the Ni no Kuni Wizard's Edition, that's five 2013 RPG preorders so far. This sort of thing's never happened before; must be a good RPG year for me!
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#846 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

That game did a better job at the pokemon style then mega man battle network did.

#847 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm getting errors when I try to watch that :-|

Just realized I have four RPGs on preorder (or Steam prepurchase) right now-- the pending games are Etrian Odyssey IV, Pandora's Tower, Rune Factory 4, and Ys I & II Chronicles+, and the only non-RPG game I have preordered is the SCII: Heart of the Swarm CE. With the Ni no Kuni Wizard's Edition, that's five 2013 RPG preorders so far. This sort of thing's never happened before; must be a good RPG year for me!

There are still a handful of more RPGs that are going to come out later on in the year too!

#848 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

i told myself not to buy any new single player games the other day.

i have a large amount of games on psp to play, as well as xenoblade chronicles/graces f/fortune summoners/borderlands 2. mehh.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#849 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

There are still a handful of more RPGs that are going to come out later on in the year too!

Yeah. I still don't know whether or not to preorder Soul Hackers-- my MegaTen backlog never, ever seems to shrink D: And who knows when we're getting the Dragon Quest VII remake?

I also want to get Tales of Xillia sometime in the future, but don't plan on preordering it.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#850 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

That game is coming out too soon.

I still haven't played the last two.

#851 WRXKayaker

WRXKayaker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I starting playing FF7 for the first time in about 10 years this weekend. I forgot how enjoyable this game is. Even the dated graphics on a 50" screen don't seem to bother me. This game makes me feel like I'm 15 years old again.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), it's going to take a backseat here soon since Ni No Kuni is on its way to my house.

Currently Playing:   :pc: Batman: Arkham Origins     :ps3: Far Cry 3

Recently Completed:    :pc: Bioshock Infinite   :ps3: GTA V

Steam Profile

#852 luxuria

luxuria

Don't Forget Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Studio Ghibli > FF7.

#853 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Studio Ghibli > FF7.

Naw man.

FFVII is the greatest RPG ever.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#854 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

The electronics of your heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just wanted to make sure people were aware of the Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter. I love Dreamfall and really really want the sequel to get made. :D I've never contributed to a Kickstarter before this one, and I don't even have a gaming PC.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#855 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Naw man.

FFVII is the greatest RPG ever.

I know you're joking, but looking at the big picture, historically speaking, I think it's an arguably valid title. Its popularity (along with Pokemon) catalyzed the late 90's RPG renaissance in the west. Think of all the games we would never have seen in the U.S. if not for the popularity of Final Fantasy VII.

We'll forget about Ni No Kuni (as excellent as it is) long before we forget about FF VII.

PaulManda.png

#856 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

this stardew valley game looks interesting

rune factory + terraria/minecraft + co-op. could be real fun

#857 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I know you're joking, but looking at the big picture, historically speaking, I think it's an arguably valid title. Its popularity (along with Pokemon) catalyzed the late 90's RPG renaissance in the west. Think of all the games we would never have seen in the U.S. if not for the popularity of Final Fantasy VII.

We'll forget about Ni No Kuni (as excellent as it is) long before we forget about FF VII.

I honestly do really like FFVII. I just can't help being sarcastic sometimes :-P

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#858 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I honestly do really like FFVII. I just can't help being sarcastic sometimes :-P

You got me thinking... will we ever see an RPG replicate that kind of success? I guess World of Warcraft did something similar for MMORPGs, but it seems to me like RPGs have become a niche.

PaulManda.png

#859 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Depends on whether Mass Effect or Borderlands count.

#860 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

we'll never see anything successful like ff7. it single-handedly blew open the RPG market in the US. all the conditions were just right for it to happen: the debut of 3d technology, the relative tameness of rpgs up until that point, the gigantic marketing push relative to other videogames at the time, innovative mechanics when they were the exception and not the norm, a properly executed script and story at a time when they weren't mainstream, the futuristic setting which was not really done in a JRPG at the time, etc...

#861 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

this stardew valley game looks interesting

rune factory + terraria/minecraft + co-op. could be real fun

Waiting on Starbound personally. Though I'd probably give that a go at some point too.

#862 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sales would be a good objective metric. I think Mass Effect would be a decent contender for the FF7/WoW of single-player WRPGs, but did it have FF7/WoW sales figures?
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#863 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Yeah. I still don't know whether or not to preorder Soul Hackers-- my MegaTen backlog never, ever seems to shrink D: And who knows when we're getting the Dragon Quest VII remake?

I also want to get Tales of Xillia sometime in the future, but don't plan on preordering it.

There's a dragon quest 7 remake? If that is the case I better sell my PS1 version of the game on ebay soon.

#864 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

we'll never see anything successful like ff7. it single-handedly blew open the RPG market in the US..

I would say stuff like Halo and CoD count for bringing FPS to consoles and to a less extent, SF4 for bringing fighting games back in a big way.

Definitely not Borderlands, and I think too many people hated ME3 for it to count as a series and being honest, the first game is pretty bad. I'd much rather play FFVII over that.

ME2 is one of the best games ever though. Probably second to my Xenogears.

leda-doing-le-worm-xd-o.gifaw-ledas-cute-o.gif

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#865 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

ME2 is one of the best games ever though.

I think I'm going to play this soon (for the first time). The PC version better not be gimped. And I don't want to play the first so my hope is the narrative stands on its own.

I get lots of gay stuff in this, too, right? Or is that the last one?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#866 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Nah, they were still in their "Shepard just can't be gay, guys." phase in ME2.

Posted Image

#867 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Nah, they were still in their "Shepard just can't be gay, guys." phase in ME2.

Not exactly... It was more like, you could RP Shepard as gay if you wanted, but there just weren't any homosexual men in the immediate vicinity for him to mack on. THAT's what changed in ME3. They added a gay crew member and made another formerly straight one bisexual, so now gay Shepard has options.

#868 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

When asked about male Shepard's orientation, Bioware said, "In Mass Effect it's more a third-person narrative, where you have a pre-defined character who is who he is, or she is. But it's not a wide-open choice matrix. It's more choice on a tactical level with a pre-defined character."

There were no gay crewmembers in the earlier games because Bioware considered Shepard Not Gay. They're not a documentary crew cataloging real events; they made the damn game. And they later changed their minds. See also: Kaidan.

Posted Image

#869 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I still think there's a difference between "Shepard is not allowed to be X" and "The game scenario doesn't present Shepard with the option to act on X."

I mean take a female Shepard in Mass Effect 2, her only human romance option is an African-American male. Is that BioWare decreeing that Shepard is no longer attracted to white guys like she was in ME1? Or is it just that a game can only present a finite amount of options at a time, and not every specific preference is going to be accommodated?

All that said I'm glad that BioWare gave players the option to be a gay male Shepard with a gay male love interest, and it would have been great if they would have added it earlier. More options are better.

#870 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

You're not gay if you don't have gay sex