RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

• Please log in to reply
1502 replies to this topic

#61 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Debating between Parasite Eve, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross.

Parasite Eve is pretty cool, play if you like Resident Evil 2 for sure. It might be like Vandal Hearts (the combat), can't really remember that game too well.

Xenogears is awesome, prepare for a long RPG with a crazy story that will take a while before you understand it fully. The combat combos are really fun, giant robots, cool characters, I'm getting the itch to replay it soon, haha.

Chrono Cross is a lot different than Chrono Trigger, but I still loved it. The turn based combat may take a while to get used to, as you can only have set amount of magic/techniques set, and then used, per battle. I really loved the story. This may be a spoiler:
Spoiler
Only expect a few minor references to Chrono Trigger cast members.

#62 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Only expect a few minor references to Chrono Trigger cast members.

Minor they may be, but if you loved the hell out of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross might drive you nuts. (Major spoiler: )
Spoiler

Chrono Cross has it's positives (such as the amazing soundtrack), but it's definitely an acquired taste. To me, it was mostly bitter.

I only read the Let's Play of Xenogears, but going by that, it sounds like a real rollercoaster of a game, and one that seemed to have run out of money at a certain point during production. It too has a reputation for having an amazing Yasunori Mitsuda musical score.

Don't know much about Parasite Eve.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#63 luxuria

luxuria

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Alright, thank you. I picked up Xenogears for now. ^^ Excited to play it. :D

GA3XcNi.png?2?7311

#64 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Xenogears is good. Just -so- text heavy and slow moving at times. I still have fond memories of playing it some 15 (?) years ago.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#65 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

jus finished Xenoblade!!

it was fantastic!!

lots of cool characters, lots of cool villains, great story, the world is downright beautiful and huge,

the content in the game is overwhelming... jus when I think there's too much to do the game switches things up and gives u even more,

and it's also like here's a thing u can do, but the only way to unlock it is to do a bunch of other things first

O_o

I didnt do any of it lol... total time was 66 hours.

feels good to finally be done! now I can play new games!

#66 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

The stupidest part of FFIV has to be the moment you beat Golbez to the next crystal, decisively destroy him in battle, and then watch as your party simply stares as he takes the crystal anyways.

What.

UjCoyFa.png

#67 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

The stupidest part of FFIV has to be the moment you beat Golbez to the next crystal, decisively destroy him in battle, and then watch as your party simply stares as he takes the crystal anyways.

What.

the slow zigzagging hand is OP.

lol it doesn't even go in a straight line, it goes side to side

(unless you're playing the DS version where he just reappears and teleports out. which isn't as dumb but still dumb.)
Every day's great at your Junes!

#68 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Lots of people rip on Persona 1 but I'm a firm defender of it. My opinion towards it is probably nostalgia if nothing else but damn I love that game. P1 is no more dated than an old school FF or DQ game. Plus it's got the choicest battle music, listening to it wants me to do another playthrough:

I am as well, though I only played it for the first time last year. It was a good game and aged on par with most ps1 era games.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#69 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

jus finished Xenoblade!!

it was fantastic!!

lots of cool characters, lots of cool villains, great story, the world is downright beautiful and huge,

the content in the game is overwhelming... jus when I think there's too much to do the game switches things up and gives u even more,

and it's also like here's a thing u can do, but the only way to unlock it is to do a bunch of other things first

O_o

I didnt do any of it lol... total time was 66 hours.

feels good to finally be done! now I can play new games!

66 hours in Xenoblah is like eating the skin off a chicken McNugget. Tastsy, it needs BBQ

#70 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

shutup!

it's like "oh crap! I unlocked a new skill tree!! too bad I'm 50+ hours into the game and have no idea what skill trees even do,

but eff it! let's unlock more of them!"

so I goto gamefaqs and read how to unlock another one, and I try to do it but the mission isnt available,

then I read the fine print that says if the mission isnt available u can make it available by doing a bunch of other missions first to raise your affinity with the town.

and at that point I'm like "never mind!!!" and then I decided to jus beat the game instead.

also chicken mcnuggets are gross... I'm glad I didnt eat the whole thing.

#71 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Minor they may be, but if you loved the hell out of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross might drive you nuts. (Major spoiler: )

Spoiler

Chrono Cross has it's positives (such as the amazing soundtrack), but it's definitely an acquired taste. To me, it was mostly bitter.

I only read the Let's Play of Xenogears, but going by that, it sounds like a real rollercoaster of a game, and one that seemed to have run out of money at a certain point during production. It too has a reputation for having an amazing Yasunori Mitsuda musical score.

Don't know much about Parasite Eve.

I would say Parasite Eve for a fun, the story and atmosphere is unique and imo has never been redone. Cross is, well Cross is confusing to say the least. There are so many ideas that were great that were never explained, cameos that leave characters fates in question, and bits of art and areas that further confuse anyone paying a bit of attention. I loved the game and personally have played it at least once a year and used the majority of the available characters, but it is not a sequel more than a, what if story, since most of the resolution undoes the world you had been adventuring in. Never played Gears, always seemed like one of those games that sounded better on paper than disc.

Edited by cindersphere, 20 November 2012 - 09:20 AM.

Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#72 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

between cross/PE/xenogears?

i think the only one i'd play out of those is xg, but it has aged horribly. it looked ugly when it came out, it looks super ugly now. PE is okay but not my kind of game (actually i think it is pretty lacking in the game department, but the story is decent) and i hated cross.

#73 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Fact: Star Wars KOTOR is the greatest Bioware game

fs_overall.png

#74 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Cross, PE, or Xenogears? I might be in the minority but I had the most fun with Chrono Cross. Still as a huge Chrono Trigger fan the game leaves much to be desired for some kind of coherent connection to the series. The high point of the game is the music, one of the best soundtracks ever, lots of memorable tunes. I liked the character designs too, with something like 40+ characters to recruit. However I remember the game being a breeze with little difficulty.

#75 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Looks like Star Citizen broke Project Eternity's crowdfunding record. Well, it was going to happen sooner or later :-P

Harvest Moon: AWL update - married now, have a seed maker (which only gives me two seeds for every one crop? WTF), and have sold both my bovines because they're useless pains in the asses (the cow wasn't giving me any milk for days and days, and she wasn't sick or pregnant [that I could tell] or anything).

It's still got some of the fun of Harvest Moon, but it's not a very good entry in the series. The upgraded tools don't do much besides make you less tired; the cows/bulls, as I said, are a waste of time; there's a certain minigame that's stupidly hard; and I have to sell everything non-dairy directly to a vendor who only shows up on certain days, and one type at a time.

Edited by blueshinra, 20 November 2012 - 06:10 PM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#76 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Just beat the first encounter with Barty using Light/Snow/Sazh, and he went down on the first try. Super pleased with myself, didn't think I'd get far without Hope's buffs.

Trashing through the Ark now at breakneck speed -- triple Ravager and triple Commando :drool:

UjCoyFa.png

#77 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I really liked Chrono Cross,didn't really mind that it wasn't a real sequel to Trigger.The story was pretty good too with some really good plot twists,but it really does become a mess on disc 2.

Xenogears other than the terrible graphics is still a really good game with an excellent story.Does have it moments where it just drags like the Nortune Prison section.

#78 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Fact: Star Wars KOTOR is the greatest Bioware game

I'll always have a shitload of nostalgia for it, but I find now that the game itself is... kinda mediocre. Shadows of Amn will probably be my "Bioware's best game" forever, though I have copies of Shattered Steel and MDK2 that I haven't touched yet.

Posted Image

#79 Indignate

Indignate

☽Scinon☾

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Xenogears is the best game ever.

Fact.

#80 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

It would've been an epic series too if they actually made the other games,instead we got the shitty Xenosaga series.

#81 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

A shocker: my wife, who never plays console games, finished Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland. Now she's talking about playing it again to get alternate endings.
Posted Image

#82 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

Harvest Moon: AWL update - married now, have a seed maker

har har

married and seed maker. lolol

but no really... kinda sad to hear that HM isn't that great.

i feel like the PS1 version was the best one...

#83 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

A shocker: my wife, who never plays console games, finished Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland. Now she's talking about playing it again to get alternate endings.

Wow! I'm a big fan of Harvest Moon, and Save The Homeland is one of the weakest Harvest Moon I've played. I felt the N64 one was better, and that was a console gen before. Save The Homeland left a lot of things out, and I think I only got through 2 endings before I got really really bored. I played the GBA one around the same time, and felt that game had so much more to it.

#84 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

har har

married and seed maker. lolol

but no really... kinda sad to hear that HM isn't that great.

i feel like the PS1 version was the best one...

That was unintentional, really!

Yeah, it isn't a good Harvest Moon; even the original is a more robust experience. After this, I think I might go back to sticking to the Rune Factory subseries.

At this point, I've pretty much decided to make my farm an orchard and grow fruit trees in addition to taking care of chickens and sheep (since fruit trees don't die after one measly harvest). Currently saving up for the farm addition that costs 30,000 G, since I want all the buildings :-P

Wow! I'm a big fan of Harvest Moon, and Save The Homeland is one of the weakest Harvest Moon I've played. I felt the N64 one was better, and that was a console gen before. Save The Homeland left a lot of things out, and I think I only got through 2 endings before I got really really bored. I played the GBA one around the same time, and felt that game had so much more to it.

That's a shame. There was a time when I nearly bought Save the Homeland... glad I skipped it.

Also, which GBA one? Curious because A Wonderful Life can link up with Friends of Mineral Town, which I'm not familiar with.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#85 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Any recommendations for another one for the wife? Got a PS2, PS3 and a Wii.
Posted Image

#86 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

There's some old-school looking first person RPG on the plsystation store this week. I forget the name. Anyone tried it?

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#87 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

That's a shame. There was a time when I nearly bought Save the Homeland... glad I skipped it.

Also, which GBA one? Curious because A Wonderful Life can link up with Friends of Mineral Town, which I'm not familiar with.

It was Friends of Mineral Town. In the time it took me to do 2 playthroughs of Save the Homeland, I hadn't even "beat" Friends of Mineral Town, just so much to do (like most Harvest Moons).

Any recommendations for another one for the wife? Got a PS2, PS3 and a Wii.

Can your Wii play GC games? Maybe could try A Wonderful Life, Gamecube. I think there is a version were you play as a girl instead.

There are Wii ones like Tree of Tranquility, but I haven't played it yet. Does your wife care about retro/old games? If she wouldn't be turned off, the original Harvest Moon SNES on virtual console is awesome, but I can understand if others don't like SNES graphics.

#88 jello44

jello44

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

P4G is sooooooooo sexy.

#89 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

For those who are interested, Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition started pre-loads today. Release date is Nov 28.
Posted Image

#90 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

For those who are interested, Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition started pre-loads today. Release date is Nov 28.

Fuck yeah! I forgot this was close to being released finally! Thanks for the reminder!!