RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

• Please log in to reply
1502 replies to this topic

#871 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

You're not a gay character if your creators explicitly state, "No, this character is not gay."

I mean take a female Shepard in Mass Effect 2, her only human romance option is an African-American male. Is that BioWare decreeing that Shepard is no longer attracted to white guys like she was in ME1? Or is it just that a game can only present a finite amount of options at a time, and not every specific preference is going to be accommodated?

Fuck Occam's Razor?

Posted Image

#872 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

You're not a gay character if your creators explicitly state, "No, this character is not gay."

If you've got a link to a quote where BioWare stated that male Shepard is canonically straight, then I am wrong and will shut up. :) If that's true then I'm glad they changed their minds before ME3, because that's a dumb thing to say. (If the quote in #868 is what you're talking about, then I have to disagree that that constitutes an explicit statement that male Shepard is straight. I would say he dodged the question and didn't answer specifically either way.)

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#873 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

To change the subject, there is a piano in the lobby of my workplace, and right now a girl is playing "To Zanarkand" on it. :D

#874 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

It's from an interview just after the release of ME2. Full quote is as follows.

IGN: Will there be gay relationships for the male Shepard? Here at IGN we've heard a lot of positive feedback from the inclusion of gay relationships in Dragon Age; compare that with the somewhat conspicuous absence of them from the first Mass Effect, especially with the chance for a lesbian relationship.

Ray Muzyka: Here's how the games are different: Dragon Age is a first person narrative, where you're taking on an origin and a role, and you are that character at a fundamental level. It's fundamentally about defining your character, including those kinds of concepts. In Mass Effect it's more a third person narrative, where you have a pre-defined character who is who he is, or she is. But it's not a wide-open choice matrix. It's more choice on a tactical level with a pre-defined character. So they're different types of narratives, and that's intentional.

We're not saying that one approach is better than the other. In our previous games, as we did in Jade Empire, as we did in KOTOR, as we did in Baldur's Gate, and many games before and in the future, we enable those kinds of choices, whereas in Mass Effect it's more about Shepard as a defined character with certain approaches and worldviews, and that's just who he or she is. So we constrain the choice set somewhat, but enable more tactical choices and enable a deeper, richer personality, because it's more focused around defining one character, it's not as wide open. But that's by choice.

It's first person versus third person narrative, and the types of choices you get to make within that are related to that, whether you've got a pre-defined character or a wide-open character. Some of our games have been wide open, and some have been more constrained, and we'll probably continue both kinds of character development in the future.

I guess that's more implicit than explicit. Muzyka's savvy enough not to do that.

In conclusion, this is a lot of words about gay pixels. I really have Fuck all to contribute to this thread until Project Eternity comes out. Maybe I'll install Arcanum or something.

Posted Image

#875 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

In conclusion, this is a lot of words about gay pixels.

This remains the definitive treatise on the subject. Really says all there is to say.

#876 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

To change the subject, there is a piano in the lobby of my workplace, and right now a girl is playing "To Zanarkand" on it. :D

i tried so hard to learn that piece
but not hard enough. at that time i only started playing piano for like... 4 months.

i think i was able to play the beginning though. fun song though, i'm not sure if there's a better piano piece in the ff series.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#877 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I was going to make a gay joke, butt Fuck it.

Guys you should all be talking about System Shock 2. Shit is going live on GOG.com tomorrow.

#878 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'd buy it, but I still have the aforementioned unplayed copy of Arcanum sitting on my GOG account.

Posted Image

#879 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

fun song though, i'm not sure if there's a better piano piece in the ff series.

Yeah, "To Zanarkand" is tough to top. It doesn't even come close, but I'm rather fond of "Slide Show, Part 2":

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#880 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

I think it is time to go to pound town on her because that is my favorite FF song, barely beating out "Besaid Isle" and a few others.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#881 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

whoa whoa

Kaiden's bisexual?

You should tell her that song comes from a bad game.

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#882 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Kaiden's bisexual?

It's not surprising you just found out. So did he!

#883 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

That's pretty hot... It's also a pretty enjoyable song to play

Yeah, "To Zanarkand" is tough to top. It doesn't even come close, but I'm rather fond of "Slide Show, Part 2":

Can you actually play this though? Holy shit, I got the sheet music, and I don't even know... I'm no virtuoso by any means, but I'm pretty sure I could never play this (which saddens me)
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#884 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Can you actually play this though? Holy shit, I got the sheet music, and I don't even know... I'm no virtuoso by any means, but I'm pretty sure I could never play this (which saddens me)

I wish. Doesn't help that I'm really rusty on the keys :-| With some practice, maybe... but it would have to be a lot of practice...
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#885 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

after watching this:

slide show part 2 doesn't look so bad. maybe playing it at that speed is hard? i dunno. i suck at piano anyway.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#886 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

But that's "Flight of the Bumblebee"! There ain't much that doesn't look too bad compared to it :lol:

Back to "To Zanarkand" for a sec. I learned today that The Dark Id's currently ongoing LP is of Final Fantasy X. Not going to read it until it's done and archived, but it should be fun, as always.

Edited by blueshinra, 15 February 2013 - 03:03 AM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#887 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

hahaha, yeah, flight of the bumblebee is just a controlled seizure... I really wish I had the dedication to even attempt that, but that's leagues above my (admittedly very low) level...
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers

#888 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Has anyone here ever come across a bug in Tales of the Abyss that alters the overworld music? After leaving the Desert Oasis today, I noticed that the overworld theme was replaced by that town's music. When I later loaded up a slightly earlier save file where I had saved on the overworld, there was no music whatsoever.

IIRC, this had started after that first anime cutscene, prior to going to the Desert Oasis. After that had ended, there was no music.

Will this problem correct itself later on?
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#889 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

I seem to remember that the theme changes as you go along, so that might be what you're experiencing.

Maybe? Possibly?

Everything about the overworld in that game is kind of terrible.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#890 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I seem to remember that the theme changes as you go along, so that might be what you're experiencing.

Maybe? Possibly?

Everything about the overworld in that game is kind of terrible.

It definitely changes the music to whatever it was for the last location I was in; it happened again with Tao Ruins.

Yeah, I haven't been too crazy about the overworld in general so far...
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#891 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Are you playing on the 3DS?

On the PS2, the overworld would lose frames like crazy and battles would take minutes to load (exagerations, but they feel like truths). I'm wondering if they were able to tune it up a tad for the port.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#892 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Nope, I'm playing on the PS2. I haven't noticed any battle loading times longer than maybe a minute. Sometimes they take longer, though? Hope it doesn't get any worse for me @_@
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#893 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

I learned today that The Dark Id's currently ongoing LP is of Final Fantasy X. Not going to read it until it's done and archived, but it should be fun, as always.

It's on pause, unfortunately. His last update was in November and he said that he was too busy and would "pick this up next year". The thread for it is currently closed.

Posted Image

#894 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Was it cuz he couldn't stand how not good the game was to continue playing it?

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#895 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Dude did 100% runs of Drakengard 1 and 2. Game quality means nothing to the man.

Posted Image

#896 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

It's on pause, unfortunately. His last update was in November and he said that he was too busy and would "pick this up next year". The thread for it is currently closed.

Oh well, not that I expected it to be done anytime soon, though. I really shouldn't waste my time reading LPs right now anyway (plus I recently got my fill with the Metal Gear/Snake's Revenge/Metal Gear 2 LP).
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#897 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

Woo! Buy Monster Hunter WiiU + 3DS get 20 off at Amazon. I was hoping there'd be some sort of deal. I'll consider it a free Circle Pad Plus... if it ever comes out...

Anyone else here double (or even single) dipping?

#898 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

So, playing FF9 on my PSP. Enjoying it so far, but just got my ass waxed a couple of times by a dragon who kills my guys with every hit. So, how to I get past him?
Posted Image

#899 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

Woo! Buy Monster Hunter WiiU + 3DS get 20 off at Amazon. I was hoping there'd be some sort of deal. I'll consider it a free Circle Pad Plus... if it ever comes out...

Anyone else here double (or even single) dipping?

I only have a 3DS and used to kind of be thinking about getting it, but since I already played the heck out of MH3 on Wii and the 3DS version doesn't have online play and I don't know anyone locally to play with I'm kind of leaning towards not getting it. Hopefully if we get MH4 it will have online multiplayer.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#900 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

So, playing FF9 on my PSP. Enjoying it so far, but just got my ass waxed a couple of times by a dragon who kills my guys with every hit. So, how to I get past him?

More specifics?

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.