RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

• Please log in to reply
1502 replies to this topic

#991 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'm thinking that MMO is Dragon Quest X (which came out... in Japan).

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#992 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

It's that one that's supposedly been in development for awhile now, right? I don't think it's DQX, but something new.

My prediction: something specifically tailored to the tastes of Western gamers :-P
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#993 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

It's that one that's supposedly been in development for awhile now, right? I don't think it's DQX, but something new.

Well DQX was in development for sure since the end of 2008 since they talked about it all the way back then (just that it was in development, not that it was an MMO), and the game didn't come out till mid last year which means it was in development for at least 3-4 years. I mean I'm not saying it couldn't be something else, but it certainly makes sense for those two articles that were linked since those were saying they would have a third MMO out sometime in 2012, which is when DQX came out, and the full announcement about the type of game DQX was wasn't made until September 2011 which is in the time frame that those articles said the announcement of another MMO would be made.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#994 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Well DQX was in development for sure since the end of 2008 since they talked about it all the way back then (just that it was in development, not that it was an MMO), and the game didn't come out till mid last year which means it was in development for at least 3-4 years. I mean I'm not saying it couldn't be something else, but it certainly makes sense for those two articles that were linked since those were saying they would have a third MMO out sometime in 2012, which is when DQX came out, and the full announcement about the type of game DQX was wasn't made until September 2011 which is in the time frame that those articles said the announcement of another MMO would be made.

*nods* I misread the news as the Mystery MMO being something coming out this year (overlooked the dates on at least one of the articles :-#). DQX is most likely that MMO, yeah.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#995 heavyd853

heavyd853

Hates fatties!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

So...

Unchained Blades won the PSN Gamer's Choice for best :psp: game.

It's on sale (for plus) for $14.69. Tempted to pick it up. Looks like a first person dungeon crawler that has monster collecting, a sphere grid upgrade system and even some rhythm elements (?)

Any opinions?

Also, what is the Dungeons & Dragons Daggerfall game on PSN.

It's pretty good. The voice acting is pretty grating though, I think you can turn it off in any case.

I'd recommend Etrian Oddysey IV over it, but it is on the 3ds.
Hates Fatties x 2

#996 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hope this is the right place to ask, I never see much MMO talk. With all this news about FF14 shutting down, fully rebuilding game, relaunching a new version of the game/beta, I remembered an old story. I'm not a big MMO fan, but I'm still very curious as to what Sqaure Enix's 3rd MMO was supposed to be? Anyone know/speculate?

http://www.siliconer...-budget-mmorpg/
http://www.videogame...april_2012.html

It was supposed to be announced around March/April 2012.

There needs to be more MMO talk. Like we should totally talk about SWTOR :P

DQX, FF14 2.0 and Star Galaxy are the three that I know of (with FF11 still in the works). If they think they can pull another one from out of nowhere, then I sure hope they know what they are doing.

#997 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

It's pretty good. The voice acting is pretty grating though, I think you can turn it off in any case.

I'd recommend Etrian Oddysey IV over it, but it is on the 3ds.

I would too, but I'd still recommend it over any other hand-held dungeon crawler released stateside, minus maybe Strange Journey.

#998 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

omg

HEAVY DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Every day's great at your Junes!

#999 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Can you switch it to Japanese? I generally prefer that over a lot of dubs in games like this. I'll probably pass on it, since I'm currently in the middle of FF9 on my PSP, and I still have P2: IS to finish.
Posted Image

#1000 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm sort of tempted to get a 3DS and EO IV with my tax refund, but I have probably about 5 RPGs on the :psp: still to finish.

If I wait to finish all of those, I'll end up getting a 3DS with my 2014 tax refund. (Which, by then there will be 5 different models to choose from. XL? Metalic Color? Super Slim?)

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1001 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

So...

Unchained Blades won the PSN Gamer's Choice for best :psp: game.

It's on sale (for plus) for $14.69. Tempted to pick it up. Looks like a first person dungeon crawler that has monster collecting, a sphere grid upgrade system and even some rhythm elements (?)

Any opinions?

Also, what is the Dungeons & Dragons Daggerfall game on PSN.

I've heard good things about it, so I want to get it...

But I'm 11 cents short from what I have in my psn wallet and I don't want to add $5.

Life is hard.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#1002 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Can you switch it to Japanese? I generally prefer that over a lot of dubs in games like this.

one of the problems when you learn japanese is that you learn how terribly annoying and cheesy their voices are

one of my biggest pet peeves are female characters that refer to themselves in the third person to be cute

my brain explodes when real life people do it
Every day's great at your Junes!

#1003 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

So I made an aside about ME2 in GGT and was about to expand on it, but I'm bringing it here.

I was seriously misled about ME2. I had a few friends who said that, gaming aside, as a scifi experience ME2 was effectively a modern marvel, that it competed with contemporary scifi in lit and film. And that's just not the case.

There are so many flaws. It's not just the fault of the morality system (or whatever you call the paragon/renegade thing). The simplest complaint is that the writing is just boring. Not only in terms of the overarching narrative, where somehow I'm super pissed at this Cerebus thing but never given the option to tell them to shove it. I get that they have to do some shoehorning, but jesus, that seems like an obvious path that they've blocked off.

However, I was told to overlook the main narrative, my friends told me, "Look at the loyalty quests, that's the meat and potatoes." Well I've played three of them thus far, and they were trite. Jack's was particularly banal.

That whole character of Jack...not even bad fanfic would stoop to full body tattoos and dress-belt-for-halter-top in making a "bad girl." It's embarrassing. I know sex sells, and they want to sell something, but jesus. Jack is a part of this narrative, and that kind of lazy characterization (i.e. some hollywood pitch of "sexy female Weapon X") is just dumb, it takes away from the narrative. I can't take scifi seriously that starts with these extremely weak cutouts.

I just don't get it. I might return to it and stick it out, but ME2 is not great scifi. You strip away the scifi element, and you're left with okay but not terrific squad based FPS play and a shitload of dialogue cutscenes with dialogue that isn't particularly engaging. If it were like Falllout, where there can be entertainment to dialogue, that's one thing, but this stuff is so dry.

The way the Mordin guy talks, for instance...I get it, the broken sentences, the phrasing, he's somehow anti-social and analytical and detacted. But he's a fuckin genius: make a complete sentence, dipshit! It's got nothing to do with his species, I've run into other salarians who could communicate. Ugh. The characters are so bad.

The game is just not the scifi story telling experience it's cracked up to be. It might be good relative to gaming, but across media, it's not good. I don't know why critics were all over it. They're all liars, or they just haven't experienced enough thought provoking scifi. They think the scene where Luke finds out Vader is his father is great scifi. It's not. That's good soap opera stuff, and that's what ME2 is going for.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1004 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

That's good soap opera stuff, and that's what ME2 is going for.

This. I LOVED ME1. Fucking loved it, sure there were flaws but if fixed in ME2, it will be for the better. Boy was I in a surprise.

ME2 was this sub-par shooter that was over shadowed by this need to be a space soap opera. Don't worry about ME2, because it seriously is just a filler story wise that makes no impact on ME3. Then there is ME3...

And it only gets worse.

Earth is getting attacked, hang on, let me get some booty first...

#1005 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

So I made an aside about ME2 in GGT and was about to expand on it, but I'm bringing it here.

I was seriously misled about ME2. I had a few friends who said that, gaming aside, as a scifi experience ME2 was effectively a modern marvel, that it competed with contemporary scifi in lit and film. And that's just not the case.

There are so many flaws. It's not just the fault of the morality system (or whatever you call the paragon/renegade thing). The simplest complaint is that the writing is just boring. Not only in terms of the overarching narrative, where somehow I'm super pissed at this Cerebus thing but never given the option to tell them to shove it. I get that they have to do some shoehorning, but jesus, that seems like an obvious path that they've blocked off.

However, I was told to overlook the main narrative, my friends told me, "Look at the loyalty quests, that's the meat and potatoes." Well I've played three of them thus far, and they were trite. Jack's was particularly banal.

That whole character of Jack...not even bad fanfic would stoop to full body tattoos and dress-belt-for-halter-top in making a "bad girl." It's embarrassing. I know sex sells, and they want to sell something, but jesus. Jack is a part of this narrative, and that kind of lazy characterization (i.e. some hollywood pitch of "sexy female Weapon X") is just dumb, it takes away from the narrative. I can't take scifi seriously that starts with these extremely weak cutouts.

I just don't get it. I might return to it and stick it out, but ME2 is not great scifi. You strip away the scifi element, and you're left with okay but not terrific squad based FPS play and a shitload of dialogue cutscenes with dialogue that isn't particularly engaging. If it were like Falllout, where there can be entertainment to dialogue, that's one thing, but this stuff is so dry.

The way the Mordin guy talks, for instance...I get it, the broken sentences, the phrasing, he's somehow anti-social and analytical and detacted. But he's a fuckin genius: make a complete sentence, dipshit! It's got nothing to do with his species, I've run into other salarians who could communicate. Ugh. The characters are so bad.

The game is just not the scifi story telling experience it's cracked up to be. It might be good relative to gaming, but across media, it's not good. I don't know why critics were all over it. They're all liars, or they just haven't experienced enough thought provoking scifi. They think the scene where Luke finds out Vader is his father is great scifi. It's not. That's good soap opera stuff, and that's what ME2 is going for.

I don't think we're friends anymore.

This. I LOVED ME1. fucking loved it, sure there were flaws but if fixed in ME2, it will be for the better. Boy was I in a surprise.

ME2 was this sub-par shooter that was over shadowed by this need to be a space soap opera. Don't worry about ME2, because it seriously is just a filler story wise that makes no impact on ME3. Then there is ME3...

And it only gets worse.

I don't think we're friends anymore.

tumblr_myj621dcMH1rby4vso1_500.gif

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#1006 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Not to get too off-topic, but they still talk about games in the GGT?!
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#1007 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Not to get too off-topic, but they still talk about games in the GGT?!

I resent that.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#1008 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yup. Sounds about 90% right.

It's not hard sci-fi story telling on the level of a Alastair Reynolds, Frederik Pohl or early Steven Baxter. Those are novels. And in most sci-fi novels the characterization is poor, really poor. (Scientist guy and girl scientist who loves him. But isn't as smart as him)

The characters in ME 2 are mostly carrictures but they have slightly more depth than most video gaming cliches, and the game at least attempts to give them an arc and meaning for the stories besides just, "Let's run in this room. shoot stuff, and find the key."

You're really trying to compare novels, movies, and video games against each other. Each is its own medium with different strengths and weaknesses. ME 2 tells a science fiction based story with some soap opera mixed in. It's a genre of it's own called Space Opera.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Space_opera

http://tvtropes.org/...Main/SpaceOpera

And when viewed as a Space Opera (melodrama in space) as opposed to a Sci-Fi Story (pages detailing centrifugal force and how space elevators work) it does a pretty good job of telling an entertaining, melodramatic story.

(The combat is a little boring and repetitive though. Weapon variety is far too limited)

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1009 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

About the booty...my Shepard is female. On the romance tip, I was a few forced interactions with Jacob into my game when I realized, "This game wants me to WHAT!?"

What makes it even better is that my Shepard is black. Not that skin color is any part of their matchmaking algorithm, just makes it fun to see the two black folk getting stuck in a room. Cartman would be proud.

Anyhow, my interaction degraded into me and Jacob, looking awkward, staring at each other while I contemplated stupid dialogue options that Bioware is using to tell me, "You are super into this black dude! He's cute, he likes guns, and he's brave enough to stand on his own against an absent father!"

YME 2 tells a science fiction based story with some soap opera mixed in. It's a genre of it's own called Space Opera.

Yep, I can see that, and I'm aware of what space opera is, but I don't think ME2 stands up to other space opera works (especially the really big, well-known ones). I mean, even Ender's Game provides more depth to its admittedly flat characters than ME2. I didn't force the comparison on to ME2, by the way, it's gaming critics (and my friends who went along with it) who invented this idea that ME2 could be held alongside works outside of gaming.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1010 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yup. Sounds about 90% right.

It's not hard sci-fi story telling on the level of a Alastair Reynolds, Frederik Pohl or early Steven Baxter. Those are novels. And in most sci-fi novels the characterization is poor, really poor. (Scientist guy and girl scientist who loves him. But isn't as smart as him)

The characters in ME 2 are mostly carrictures but they have slightly more depth than most video gaming cliches, and the game at least attempts to give them an arc and meaning for the stories besides just, "Let's run in this room. shoot stuff, and find the key."

You're really trying to compare novels, movies, and video games against each other. Each is its own medium with different strengths and weaknesses. ME 2 tells a science fiction based story with some soap opera mixed in. It's a genre of it's own called Space Opera.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Space_opera

http://tvtropes.org/...Main/SpaceOpera

And when viewed as a Space Opera (melodrama in space) as opposed to a Sci-Fi Story (pages detailing centrifugal force and how space elevators work) it does a pretty good job of telling an entertaining, melodramatic story.

(The combat is a little boring and repetitive though. Weapon variety is far too limited)

I agree with this more, except I didn't find the combat boring or anything.

It's hard for me to talk about this game, seeing how it's my favorite game this generation and quite possibly my second favorite game of all time.

So Yeah.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#1011 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Did you play ME1 before ME2?

#1012 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Me? Of course I did. I love it.

And after playing ME2 and going back, ME1 was a fuckin chore.

That might be more of a problem with its shitty load times though.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#1013 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

And to clarify, I'm not ragging on fans of the game or even the game itself. It's just clearly been oversold as a gaming achievement and a work of scifi -- even calling it a space opera is really pushing it. I think the fault lies largely at the feet of critics who are too eager to write provocative reviews, whether laudatory or damning. I guess where I'd fault Bioware is in the characterization, which can be so lame.

I mean, there's no forgiving that Jack character. That's some embarrassing stuff, it's just juvenile hardon fantasy material, it's the kind of thing a junior high kid would scribble out on the back of a notebook.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1014 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm cool with any post that involves shitting on Jack, really.

Posted Image

#1015 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

To me, Mass Effect is sub-par in gaming and story. It just delivers on the end of "cool" factor.

Everything by itself is "cool" but together it is just this mess.

/edit: Jack is a super hottie in ME3 :P Still worthless to the narrative of ME3.

#1016 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Well, I'd certainly argue that most media SciFi (TV, some Movies) tend to be rather soapy anyways, probably because the focus is usually on human drama, which can get soapy.

That being said, there was something about ME1 that got me all giddy with excitement. Maybe it is because it isn't common to see and RPG set in an SF setting. Maybe it was the dialog choices, but a lot of it hit the right spots for me. Unfortunately, I got stuck at one point, put the game aside, and haven't gotten back to it. I should at some point, but I found when I tried starting a new game with a FemShep that I was very rusty with the game.

Certainly all the blowback with ME3 (and to a lesser degree ME2) had taken some of the shine off the game, but I can understand the excitement about the game, since there are few games with that kind of setting.
Posted Image

#1017 ihadFG

ihadFG

Adamustache

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I've never been too crazy about the ME series, but I did very much enjoy all 3 games for various reasons, with 3 being my favorite despite it's problems simply because it also had my favorite/most memorable parts of the series. I was never too invested in the main story or most of the characters, but I do love Mordin (
Spoiler
) and I'm somewhat fond of a few others such as Thane, Grunt, and Wrex.

#1018 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

The asian sword wielding ninja villain in ME3 just made the game meh to me. What am I here to fight? Ninja hair guy or Reapers?

It was like they didn't have anymore ideas left in the game and though, lets put a ninja in the game, because ninjas are cool...

#1019 ihadFG

ihadFG

Adamustache

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

That Ninja is hilarious. I thought maybe they would at least attempt to explain him, but no, he's just there because ninjas, man.

#1020 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

That Ninja is hilarious. I thought maybe they would at least attempt to explain him, but no, he's just there because ninjas, man.

Makes me think of this. Go about a minute in...

_UuWv_4RrRU
Posted Image