CAGcast #303: The Hurricane

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 LoveAndBeer

LoveAndBeer

AKA: jstew9

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Been having a bit of a twitter conversation with CheapyD about the podcast not showing up in my feed. After some troubleshooting I emailed the app team (PocketCast for Android) and got back the following response:

I couldn't help but notice in your log file that you are running an old version of Pocket Casts which you probably downloaded from Amazon as part of their free app of the day. It's a bit of a long story, but after being treated very badly by Amazon we've pulled out of their store almost a year ago (Tech Crunch do a good summary here: http://techcrunch.co...-youll-like-it/ ).The latest update is only available from Google Play. If you purchased our app from Amazon, happy to refund the cost of the Market purchase. If on the other hand you got it for free, then we're humbly asking people to pay for the app to support further development :)

We're already up to version 3.9, with many great new features, and we don't intend to do this again, so apologies for the hassle. If you do want to migrate (and we're not forcing you to):
- From the Amazon version: go into the settings tab of our app, and export all your subscriptions from there (you'll get an email with an opml file attached)
- Once you delete the app (and you have to do that part, it won't install properly over the old one), and re-install from Google Play, you can import this file straight from your mail client

Any podcasts you had downloaded will appear to be non-downloaded, but just tap the download button and it will find the already downloaded file.

I got said response to a 6am Sunday morning email, which was actually impressive.

I went ahead and dropped the $3 on the app in in the Play Store (I use my phone more for podcast listening more than I do for anything else).

Unfortunately this did not fix anything, for some reason the feed is only showing through Nov 2. Both when I search/add CAGcast by name, or when I manually enter the RSS url direct. I have written back to the support team, will be interesting to see what they come up with.

/csb
The battle's done, and we kind of won, so we sound our victory cheer

#32 Garrett67

Garrett67

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

For Shipwreck

Posted Image
http://db.tt/993RwXpl%20

#33 kube00

kube00

Keeping in Cheap since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Good show, glad to see you're back Wombat

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#34 Miada

Miada

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

Finally the episode is up. I really love the show, but I'm honestly so tired of the Playstation hate from Cheapy. Catching up on listening to the older episodes, I figured you would eventualy get over your Xbox bias at some point.

Nope.

Glad you're back, Wombat.
Forever stuck in Backlog Hell...
http://www.cheapassg...s-backlog-blog/

:ps3: Currently Playing : inFamous 2
:ps4: Currently Playing : Destiny
:vita: Currently Playing : Velocity Ultra, PS4 Remote Play

#35 billyok

billyok

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Love how cheapy tries to make Wombat feel like shit for describing how uncomfortable his last week was. What a great friend. I guess that's what happens to you when you sit at home all day every day.

#36 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Wombat, that wasn't a waste at all. I wouldn't say I enjoyed hearing about your experience since it was terrible, but it was good to hear a first hand account of the experience. I have family in NY/NJ and luckily they are all back to normal.

#37 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hey Wombat, I too was without power in NJ, Got it yesterday so 14 days in total. I have a generator but with the gas issues I had to conserve it and ended up by my in-laws. These two weeks were pretty rough so I can relate to what you went through. Don't listen to Cheapy short changing it!

On a side note, I still don't understand the 3DS outselling the VITA. I realize cost is definitely a factor but the Vita is far superior. The 3DS hasn't even gotten that many interesting games lately and the VITA catalog is growing. I'm also looking forward to PS Plus coming to VITA. Hopefully Sony will drop the price soon to compete.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#38 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Love how cheapy tries to make Wombat feel like shit for describing how uncomfortable his last week was. What a great friend. I guess that's what happens to you when you sit at home all day every day.

Maybe he was already sick of hearing about it or something, but it was kind of amazing how much of a douche he was being to Wombat.

Last year when Cheapy was describing how the Japan earthquake affected him and his family I don't remember Wombat trying to downplay it by interjecting that the earthquake in Haiti was much worse.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#39 brianace

brianace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

I really love the show, but I'm honestly so tired of the Playstation hate from Cheapy.

He's right this time, IMO. You will never find a bigger Sony fan than me. I do not own a 360, nor have I ever. But even I have come to terms with the fact that Sony are cheap asses. Forcing the JS Joust guys and the other indie developers to Kickstarter to beg for money, instead of investing in the Move. Move has gotten ZERO support from Sony basically. That's one of the reasons it has been such a colossal failure. This time next year, you will see Vita devs panhandling on Kickstart and Twitter to get their games made while Sony sits on their asses. Sony is so cheap, I bought a new Dual Shock controller today, and they don't even pack in the mini USB cord to charge them anymore! Basically to save them like 15 cents. I love my PS3, love my Vita, but in conclusion, Fuck Sony.

#40 MisterSmi13y

MisterSmi13y

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hey Wombat, glad to hear you and your family are safe regardless of the massive amount of chaos. And just so you know, you said that you just wasted 12 minutes, that is hardly the truth and I for one was glad to hear what has been happening with you and your family.

Also anyone else on the east coast, I hope you are doing well!

#41 Isaacthegamer

Isaacthegamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Good show as usual. I enjoyed hearing Wombat's story and I'm glad he's alright. Cheapy and Shipwreck were awfully mean to push him through his story. I didn't feel he talked "too much". Anyway, The Adventures of Tin-Tin actually has really awesome animation and the story is pretty decent. My friends and I feel it's the real Indiana Jones 3.

#42 Blue Arcana

Blue Arcana

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Wombat, LIPA really does sound like a turd. Every time after a major natural disaster, blizzard, Irene, Sandy, they always take too long with fixing and explaining things. If they've run out of poles, why the hell haven't they found a way to put power wires underground like in the city?

It's expensive and no one wants to pay for it :wall:

blueArcana.png

#43 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Just wanted to give you guys some props. Ever since Ship and Cheapy got a PC things've been a lot more entertaining for us PC gamers. It's been nice to see indie titles and obscure PC multiplayer stuff (War of the Roses, Chivalry) discussed.

Keep up the good work. Still hoping Ship and Cheapy will get into Minecraft.

#44 ryogahibiki

ryogahibiki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hey Cheapy,

You mentioned how Origin and Steam are the same and you don't understand why there's so much Origin hate.

EA's Origin EULA allows it to "scan your entire hard drive, and report back absolutely anything you may have installed, and indeed when you may use it, and then pass that information on the third parties."

http://www.rockpaper...-more-sinister/

So Fuck EA for forcing us to install their spyware if we wanna play their games.

#45 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

EA's Origin EULA allows it to "scan your entire hard drive, and report back absolutely anything you may have installed, and indeed when you may use it, and then pass that information on the third parties."

Most people probably don't care about that. People dislike Origin because in short: Steam is like XBLA where Origin utilizes the Nintendo strategy.

Think about it, the analogy holds scarily well.

* EA pricing isn't competitive with Steam.
* Origin doesn't support achievements.
* They're lacking in other social features.
* The selection sucks, which results in you installing another client just to play EA specific titles like ME3 and BF3.

#46 ryogahibiki

ryogahibiki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

* EA pricing isn't competitive with Steam.
* Origin doesn't support achievements.
* They're lacking in other social features.
* The selection sucks, which results in you installing another client just to play EA specific titles like ME3 and BF3.

Well spyware was the main reason I didn't install Origin but all your reasons also work.

In the end, Origin sucks.

#47 LoveAndBeer

LoveAndBeer

AKA: jstew9

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

For the 5 people that use Pocket Casts and have had troubles getting this ep:
After emailing with the support team throughout this week everything seems to finally be fixed. Got odd for a bit, EP 303 was showing up but it was pulling down the audio for 302 which was just missing.

But as of this morning everything is working.

Per the support team:

I've deleted all their episodes and made our server do a full re-parse of their feed. Long story short everything should be back to normal now, though you may get the newest 3 episodes again,

Great support from their tech team, made dropping the $3 to buy the app for real (not through Amazon) a bit easier to swallow. Very happy with the app on Android.

Now I finally can listen to the hurtful CheapyD hate on Wombat (based on posts in this thread)!
The battle's done, and we kind of won, so we sound our victory cheer

#48 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Enjoyed this episode, but I am always surprised at the apathy from you guys towards R* games.

Other open-world games are so dull in comparison to me, it's not even close.

#49 bkjohns1

bkjohns1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hey Wombat,
Thanks for the story about hurricane sandy. I didn't feel it was 12 wasted minutes, but an interesting personal news story. Living in the midwest I don't hear much news about what is going on along the coast.
bkjohns1.pngsig.gif
My goal for 2012 was to fund my gaming habit through reward sites which still continues on into 2014. You can read about my "journey" here.

#50 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

It's weird that Cheapy tries to shit all over Sportsfriends by suggesting that Sony isn't backing it when they're signed up for Pub Fund, which lets the developers self-publish on PSN with marketing help from Sony and they're going to recoup development costs once the game is finished. They have to fund the game themselves to finish it, which is why they went to Kickstarter for help. They also get to keep the IP to put anywhere else they want after an exclusivity window, which is also something that the other Pub Fund developers like to see. This isn't a normal publishing deal like Sony has done with the thatgamecompany games and plenty of other Sony PSN games where they front all costs in return for various concessions (exclusivity, full control of the IP, etc.). Just saying "Why so cheap, Sony" just shows Cheapy's ignorance of the program and eagerness for opportunities to take shots at Sony for no reason.

Despite being "last place", Move controllers still sold well and there's quite a bit of support for the controllers with more coming all of the time. You guys may not like it, but that doesn't mean that there are no games, no support, and no sales. There are at least 60 Move-compatible games on PSN including digital versions of retail games, though even the Move section doesn't have everything that's actually on there. Recently, Portal 2 just got updated with full Move support with Move-exclusive DLC along with more recent games like Counter-Strike GO, NFS Most Wanted, 007 Legends, Foosball 2012, Okami HD, Unfinished Swan, and others just to name a few.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#51 jeffreyraine

jeffreyraine

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Wombat glad you and your family are okay. My family and I were without power or water for 4 days. We empathize with you something Cheapy lacked. Cheapy we know earthquakes are popular in Japan; however, hurricanes the magnitude of Sandy are not this side of the east coast in the USA. Love you man but sometimes "the jerk " role is not humorous.

I agree. That wasn't cool.

#52 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

In regards to the PC/console cost discussion at the end of the podcast:

I disagree that consoles are going to have to get way more expensive to make PCs more appealing. I think we're there now, and have been for a while.

Yes, the upfront cost for a PC (if you don't already have one) is significantly higher, but don't forget how much cheaper the games are. The day 1 cost is already cheaper: some extreme examples have the PC version costing $30-35 on day 1 against the console version's $60. But aside from that, games drop like a rock so much faster on Steam, GreenManGaming, etc. Remember how fast Sleeping Dogs got down to $20 on PC; has it even hit that price on consoles yet? If it has, it's a disc-only copy sitting on a GameStop shelf with some clip art cover.

In addition to all this, you don't have to worry about all that Project Ten Dollar shit on PC, because every copy is new. Waiting for a game to go on sale never means having to sacrifice some piece of content that's tied to a serial number. A lot of times, they throw in DLC for free, too, that they're forced to charge for on the consoles. My copy of Assassin's Creed 2 came with the The Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities. While everyone else complained that they didn't have much content for the asking price, for me they were just part of the game.

Sure, a benefit of console games is that you can sell them back for a portion of what you paid, but it's usually an insulting amount of money that doesn't even matter.You don't mind that you can't sell PC games when you paid so little for them, and that feeds money into the industry that a used sale doesn't.

#53 desz

desz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

I knew Wombat was back when he asked Shipwreck, "How much did Microsoft pay you to say that?" when Ship was talking about how good Halo 4 looked. hahaha classic. Welcome back, Wombizzy!

Edited by desz, 16 November 2012 - 01:57 AM.

Desz

#54 desz

desz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

It's weird that Cheapy tries to shit all over Sportsfriends by suggesting that Sony isn't backing it when they're signed up for Pub Fund, which lets the developers self-publish on PSN with marketing help from Sony and they're going to recoup development costs once the game is finished. They have to fund the game themselves to finish it, which is why they went to Kickstarter for help. They also get to keep the IP to put anywhere else they want after an exclusivity window, which is also something that the other Pub Fund developers like to see. This isn't a normal publishing deal like Sony has done with the thatgamecompany games and plenty of other Sony PSN games where they front all costs in return for various concessions (exclusivity, full control of the IP, etc.). Just saying "Why so cheap, Sony" just shows Cheapy's ignorance of the program and eagerness for opportunities to take shots at Sony for no reason.

Despite being "last place", Move controllers still sold well and there's quite a bit of support for the controllers with more coming all of the time. You guys may not like it, but that doesn't mean that there are no games, no support, and no sales. There are at least 60 Move-compatible games on PSN including digital versions of retail games, though even the Move section doesn't have everything that's actually on there. Recently, Portal 2 just got updated with full Move support with Move-exclusive DLC along with more recent games like Counter-Strike GO, NFS Most Wanted, 007 Legends, Foosball 2012, Okami HD, Unfinished Swan, and others just to name a few.

I agree with you. I didn't like him bashing Sony either especially since he doesn't have proof that Microsoft drops of money in trucks.

The latest PlayStation Blog covered the game and talked about the support for it. I honestly believe that the way Sony is handling the game is far much cooler than Microsoft's way of just dropping off money. Sony is actually talking about the game, helping with the marketing aspect of it, and bringing guests on their podcast to talk about it. That is real support. Microsoft may have the money's, but they over saturated our world with games people will never play. At least sports friends has a real story on how it's being created. It just doesn't magically appear like some of these kinect titles.
Desz