CAG Car Thread!

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#91 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

hehe I lightly curbed my rims. Thankfully nothing severe. Used a sharpie to cover it up :/

Something of an issue with visibility in newer cars. Oh well. Not sure how much my rims would cost to replace, but a full set of Michellin PS2 tires is like 1.7k for a full set. I might go for the hankook evo or the super sports as replacements soon.

#92 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm looking at Super Sports as replacements too, but I'll probably stick with the stockies for another year. I figure that the SS's couldn't be any noisier than the Prius tires I'm on now. I feel like I'm drawing too much attention when I make tight turns cause it sounds like I'm peeling out at 10mph. :rofl:

For $1.7k, do you have 20's or something? :D

dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#93 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm looking at Super Sports as replacements too, but I'll probably stick with the stockies for another year. I figure that the SS's couldn't be any noisier than the Prius tires I'm on now. I feel like I'm drawing too much attention when I make tight turns cause it sounds like I'm peeling out at 10mph. :rofl:

For $1.7k, do you have 20's or something? :D

naw, stock 19's. It's just Michelin PS2 Pilots tend to be very expensive. Amazing summer handling. Will kill you in snow and cold weather.

#94 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Have you guys tried the Hankook V12s?  A bunch of people over on the bimmer forums use them and really like them.

In other news, my car overheated this past weekend.  I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden, the thermostat light came on and my car started losing power.  I had to pull over to the side and let it cool down.  I slowly made my way to the next exit, which was a half a mile, and then to a gas station.  

I had to have it towed to the dealer since it was closest and I don't have AAA.  It turned out to be the water pump.  They replaced the water pump and thermostat and also found the serpentine belt was loose because the tensioner was failing.  So after $1750, I have my car back.    :headache:

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#95 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Have you guys tried the Hankook V12s?  A bunch of people over on the bimmer forums use them and really like them.

I've been seeing mixed reviews on those. Michelin PSS' are more consistent with reviews and have stronger sidewalls, but like 40% more expensive. On the brightside, $560 for a square set isn't terrible for me and a $70 Visa giftcard helps. Originally, I wanted a set of Yokohama S Drives CUZ JDM IZ TYTE YO!

I'm sure that almost anything will be quieter than the hockey pucks that I currently have.

In other news, my car overheated this past weekend.  I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden, the thermostat light came on and my car started losing power.  I had to pull over to the side and let it cool down.  I slowly made my way to the next exit, which was a half a mile, and then to a gas station.  

I had to have it towed to the dealer since it was closest and I don't have AAA.  It turned out to be the water pump.  They replaced the water pump and thermostat and also found the serpentine belt was loose because the tensioner was failing.  So after $1750, I have my car back.    :headache:

That sucks to hear, dude. My car is currently in the shop as well for body work. I had a Chrysler 200M that would move laterally whenever I hit a bump and now a Nissan Versa sedan that has the jankiest slushbox I've ever driven in as rentals. The seating position is also terrible. I hope that the morning commute tomorrow will be the last one because the Versa is making me nauseous from trying to find the proper gear in traffic.

I'm guessing you didn't have the same experience as mine and got into a nice loaner Bimmer. :D
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#96 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Are you really pushing your car at every corner to need the stronger sidewalls? :lol:  

I'm guessing you didn't have the same experience as mine and got into a nice loaner Bimmer. :D

Ha, I wish.  At least I got my car back in a day, so I can't complain in that regard. I think I only get a loaner if I go to my "home" dealer.  Last time I got a 2013 328i with the 4 cylinder turbo for a loaner.  It was definitely quick, but I was still happy to be back in my car.

#97 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Are you really pushing your car at every corner to need the stronger sidewalls? :lol:

Hahaha...twice a day! In the morning, I get off at the Mass Ave exit on 93S and the turn to go onto Melnea Cass Blvd is a perfect curve at 40-45mph: wide enough to have your own space in traffic and safe enough to push it a little to see the car REALLY shine all while staying within the speed limit. On my way home, there's a relatively tight turn into the condo complex road that's just plain fun to go around because the entrance road is an "S." Even at 20mph from the turn into the S is good enough to take care of the ricer in me. :D

I have to admit that it's a bit daunting sometimes because there's a utility pole right at the apex of the first turn that many cars have hit and currently looks like it's about to collapse. I'm paranoid about such things. :rofl:

Ha, I wish.  At least I got my car back in a day, so I can't complain in that regard. I think I only get a loaner if I go to my "home" dealer.  Last time I got a 2013 328i with the 4 cylinder turbo for a loaner.  It was definitely quick, but I was still happy to be back in my car.

Yeah, nothing beats the feeling of being in your own car. I've been in "nicer" cars for loaners, but all they did was make me miss my own car even more...haha.
dohdough.png

#98 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

I had the Hankooks on my G35, they wore pretty well, but handling wasn't the greatest with them.

mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#99 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have to admit that it's a bit daunting sometimes because there's a utility pole right at the apex of the first turn that many cars have hit and currently looks like it's about to collapse. I'm paranoid about such things. :rofl:

I'm definitely paranoid about that stuff.  I've spun out twice, once with the bimmer and once with my old civic.  Luckily, I didn't do any damage either time, but I did get stuck in the mud with the bimmer and had to get towed out.   :oops:

#100 jms493

jms493

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

8286753198_06b27135b2_b.jpg

#101 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Finally got my car back last night.

Body shop did an AWESOME job with putting the car back together and everything fits better than when I bought it. Too bad that that some touch-up work was piss poor and they swirled up the bumper, but that's something that I'd be taking care of when I have it detailed next spring.

Maybe it's just me, but is it really that hard for a body shop to properly buff a car or something?

dohdough.png

#102 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Finally got my car back last night.

Body shop did an AWESOME job with putting the car back together and everything fits better than when I bought it. Too bad that that some touch-up work was piss poor and they swirled up the bumper, but that's something that I'd be taking care of when I have it detailed next spring.

Maybe it's just me, but is it really that hard for a body shop to properly buff a car or something?

To be fair, most people don't know what a detailed car looks like.   I almost wish I'd never started researching it, because then I would be happy with my swirled car :lol:

What happened to your car?  I think I missed that post.

#103 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

To be fair, most people don't know what a detailed car looks like.   I almost wish I'd never started researching it, because then I would be happy with my swirled car :lol:

HAHAHA...yeah, no kidding! I'm fighting the urge to take it to Rick like right now. Gotta wait a couple months for the paint to fully cure anyways.

What happened to your car?  I think I missed that post.

I don't think I mentioned it in this forum. Attempted break in(luckily the guy wasn't able to break out my passenger-side window because someone stopped him), hit and run on my rear bumper, and a deep door ding on the passenger door. All 3 incidents happened within the span of a month, so I'm hoping for more luck over the next few weeks...haha.
dohdough.png

#104 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I don't think I mentioned it in this forum. Attempted break in(luckily the guy wasn't able to break out my passenger-side window because someone stopped him), hit and run on my rear bumper, and a deep door ding on the passenger door. All 3 incidents happened within the span of a month, so I'm hoping for more luck over the next few weeks...haha.

Ouch... That's right, you did tell me about the break in but not about the other stuff.  Glad you have it back though!

#105 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

HAHAHA...yeah, no kidding! I'm fighting the urge to take it to Rick like right now. Gotta wait a couple months for the paint to fully cure anyways.

Damn, that is a serious run of bad luck.  I need to get my bumper repainted and some other minor paint work to touch up my car.  I just bought new tires though, so that'll have to probably wait for a bit.

mytradelist:

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#106 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Damn, that is a serious run of bad luck.  I need to get my bumper repainted and some other minor paint work to touch up my car.  I just bought new tires though, so that'll have to probably wait for a bit.

Haha...dude, you have NO idea and it's only with cars. Everything else in my life is actually pretty good and hard for me to complain.

Did you get another set of Hankook's? I find that even if I'm happy with a set, I always want to try something different to see if I'll like it more. :D

Your car is a beast though. Maybe I'll move up to it one day if I want a little less rawness and more luxury in a coupe. I'll buy used because I know somehow, that car will get fucked up too. :rofl:
dohdough.png

#107 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

8286753198_06b27135b2_b.jpg
2013 XV Crosstrek by jms493, on Flickr

How's the power on that?

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#108 jms493

jms493

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

How's the power on that?

The Subarus power is antiquate for my wife.  The gas mileage is over 30 and the AWD is why we bought it.  We live in NY.  Nice car though.  My wife loves it.  You have to get used to the transmission it feels like it never shifts gears.

#109 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

The Subarus power is antiquate for my wife.  The gas mileage is over 30 and the AWD is why we bought it.  We live in NY.  Nice car though.  My wife loves it.  You have to get used to the transmission it feels like it never shifts gears.

I was deciding between the XV and the Forester.  Ended up with the Forester because I had read that the XV was underpowered.  I was thinking the 2014s might get a boost in power but there's been no news on the 14s except a hybrid that is pretty much useless because it barely gets any better mpgs.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#110 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Haha...dude, you have NO idea and it's only with cars. Everything else in my life is actually pretty good and hard for me to complain.

Did you get another set of Hankook's? I find that even if I'm happy with a set, I always want to try something different to see if I'll like it more. :D

Your car is a beast though. Maybe I'll move up to it one day if I want a little less rawness and more luxury in a coupe. I'll buy used because I know somehow, that car will get fucked up too. :rofl:

Actually, I didn't get Hankooks again, like you, I like to try new tires. :)  I went to the factory Bridgestones next, which were okay, they were stickier then the Hankooks, but didn't wear as well, only got about 20k miles on them before they got unbearably loud.  Currently sitting on Goodyear Eagle GT All Seasons, they're not too bad pricewise, we'll see how long they'll hold out.  I primarily needed back seats to transport my little dogs around, so I had to get this over a 350z. :(  It's been a fun car though!

mytradelist:

#111 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

What brand/ line of wipers do you guys use? I'm not afraid to pay more for good ones. I just want good value for the money and not just pay for branding.

Winter is coming.

Ees7Y.jpg

#112 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

What brand/ line of wipers do you guys use? I'm not afraid to pay more for good ones. I just want good value for the money and not just pay for branding.

Winter is coming.

I like Bosch Icons and I'm super anal about having a clean windshield. PIAA's are a close second, but for the money Anco Contours are just as good. I switch mine out every 6 months, but I think I'm going to stick with the OEM blades for now. Aftermarket replacement arms tend to require a little more maintenance in regards to cleaning and tend to scratch the glass more than OEM blade refills when not clean though. I've also used the non-Icon line of Bosch wiper arms, but they don't last as long as the Icons. Now that I come to think of it, nothing keeps glass clean as long as the Icons and that's what I'd suggest.

Icons go on sale regularly for b1g1, so I recommend stocking up on a couple sets.
dohdough.png

#113 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

Thanks dd. where do they go on sale?

Ees7Y.jpg

#114 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Autozone, NAPA, Advanced Auto usually run specials and when Bosch has rebates, Amazon is a participating retailer. When Advanced Auto has those $40 off $100 purchases, that's a pretty good time too. Anytime you're able to get a blade for under $20 is generally a decent deal either way.
dohdough.png

#115 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Autozone, NAPA, Advanced Auto usually run specials and when Bosch has rebates, Amazon is a participating retailer. When Advanced Auto has those $40 off $100 purchases, that's a pretty good time too. Anytime you're able to get a blade for under $20 is generally a decent deal either way.

Thanks. Amazon is the magic word. I'll be on the lookout. Add it to my amazon wish list.

Side note: who was that one idiot that used to say "40 blades for such and such a game."? I think he got banned. The word dollars was apparently not cool enough.

Ees7Y.jpg

#116 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

I forgot to mention that aftermarket wipers don't have the same coverage area as OEM blades due to the curve in the glass.

Some people also use RainX, but I've never been a fan of it.

Happy to help though and that person sounds like a real toolbag! :rofl:

I'll post in the thread or send you a pm when I see them on sale.
dohdough.png

#117 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've used rain x wipers before. Wasn't very impressed.

Ees7Y.jpg

#118 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

I've used rain x wipers before. Wasn't very impressed.

Same here. I've been using the oem blades since they have worked so well. They're not to bad either at around $30-40 a pair.

I'm glad I got the clear bra on the Touareg. This would have been painful:

musebunu.jpg

#119 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Target has a bunch of detailing stuff at 50-70% off. I picked up a that meguiars black wax for $2.50.

#120 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

Just got back from my honeymoon on Kauai....

rented a 2013 Mustang convertible. Having a convertible on that island is awesome, but yeah... what a great place to cruise.

20131019_160800.jpg

I've also never seen so many mustangs in my life. On a side note.... such a pretty island.

Here's the view from my hotel:

1450770_10151742186134142_1685963620_n.j