Akira $37.49 @ Rightstuf

Only place I had found it cheaper was at Borders with a 50% off coupon from $50 MSRP, for $24.99 + tax.

This is about as cheap as I've seen it in a while, since it keeps its sky-high price for reasons that make no sense to me.

It's just one of those titles that people like to gravitate towards for no particular reason likes moths to a fire, so people will have no problem charging and paying a premium for it.

Thanks for the tip Squarhard, I have this on DVD with the old Tin packaging. I don't think I would spend this much for this or else I would already have it.

There were 89 copies left so for those of you who want one jump on in!

Just a FYI, this release is not the first press release (no booklet & slipcover).

And the movie is license rescued by FUNimation. No ETA on when they will be releasing it (assuming sometime in 2013).

They've added 39 of them back in, but I've missed out on stuff from them before because their restock wasn't accurate. If you guys want it, don't wait. Especially with the Black Friday countdown sale starting (you'll have people looking for shipping fillers).

[quote name='Dev518']Wow. I got this for $10 on Amazon a few years ago. I can't believe that it's that expensive now.[/QUOTE]

No you didn't. The cheapest it ever went was $25.

Nice deal! Though I couldn't bring myself to get it. I still have the Criterion Collection laserdisc and it's pretty impressive between the quality and extras.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Nice deal! Though I couldn't bring myself to get it. I still have the Criterion Collection laserdisc and it's pretty impressive between the quality and extras.[/QUOTE]

I never knew this got a Criterion I will have to hunt one of these down as it is top 5 movies of all time for me. :drool:
I have the first press of this though well worth the 30 or 40 I payed when it released.

I think mine had more extra's as the Criterion only had:

a new widescreen transfer
Japanese and English soundtracks
two theatrical trailers

[quote name='junglalien']No you didn't. The cheapest it ever went was $25.[/QUOTE]

I got it for like $22.50 from Deepdiscount.com

[quote name='ssjmichael']If you have a region free player you can get the Steelbook for like $20 shipped from Amazon UK[/QUOTE]

You mean that supposedly limited one..........

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Yeah Im waiting for Funimation to rerelease it next year.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll wait at this point.

[quote name='bjstucker']I never knew this got a Criterion I will have to hunt one of these down as it is top 5 movies of all time for me. :drool:
I have the first press of this though well worth the 30 or 40 I payed when it released.

I think mine had more extra's as the Criterion only had:

a new widescreen transfer
Japanese and English soundtracks
two theatrical trailers[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the criterion laserdisc is well worth it! It comes with the extras you mentioned plus there's also a feature where you can "watch" the first issue of the Akira graphic novel and excerpts from other issues. There's a "Pencil to Screen: The genesis and execution of Akira" special feature too, along with "The Akira Archive" which is pretty awesome.

The laserdisc jacket opens up and there's extensive liner notes inside. Pretty neat, especially when back in the '90s this was the most exhaustive anime home video release to ever come out (at the time). The dolby surround on this on was really impressive too.

[quote name='Finch106']I think HMV or amazon.uk has the steelbook version with the book for $30 US[/QUOTE]

It comes out to about $18US shipped at Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akira-Collectors-Edition-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B004QOT098/ref=lh_ni_t

It looks pretty nice in my opinion too (this is a stock image, the actual steel has no blu border)

AkiraSB.jpg

Again: This is REGION B LOCKED

[quote name='shrike4242']
This is about as cheap as I've seen it in a while, since it keeps its sky-high price for reasons that make no sense to me.[/QUOTE]
Reason is Bandai I believe. All their stuff has to rival their Japanese prices and they never go on sale. But if you're someone who really wants it...you're willing to pay that much. Say hi to my disc of Gundam Unicorn volume 1-5. Each one cost between 65-90 bucks. Hate you Bandai.
[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Yeah Im waiting for Funimation to rerelease it next year.[/QUOTE]
Same cause chances are it will be affordable and probably new packaging (love slipcovers). Though haven't heard any news if they have plans to re-dub it or just re-release the same version.

[quote name='ssjmichael']

Again: This is REGION B LOCKED[/QUOTE]

OOOOH. This is of tremendous importance. I couldn't remember, so yes skip it or do like I did and buy a US and UK version(stupid).

EDIT: Wrong forum, but if anyone wants the Panasonic version in the tin, I'll sell it no problem. It was hard to come by when I got it, and when I did it was fairly dinged up(I wanted it for the extras) so I'm not trying to profit too highly on it.

The steelbook is quite nice, but the disc is region locked, so only get the steel if you have a region free player or our blu ray disc to put in it.

bread's done
Back