Photo
- - - - -

Will the non motion plus controller work with the Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

The noise coming out of google when trying to search anything to do with Wii U controller is deafening. I thought I remember seeing something about the Wii U requiring motion plus.

Anyone know if that's true?

Thanks in advance.
Posted Image

#2 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

The noise coming out of google when trying to search anything to do with Wii U controller is deafening. I thought I remember seeing something about the Wii U requiring motion plus.

Anyone know if that's true?

Thanks in advance.

If you're playing a Wii game that doesn't require it, I think you're good. I imagine Wii U titles will require WM+ though.

#3 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

While its safe to say that most all new Wii U titles will incorporate / require Wii Motion Plus, this isn't to say that some developers won't utilize the standard Wii remotes as an input method. I imagine bargain Wii U games will still use that method as an option.

As theflicker points out, keep any additional remotes handy for Wii backwards compatibility play, though.

#4 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

All Wii U titles require Wii Motion Plus. So if you are attempting to play a Wii U game, the original non motion+ controller is not going to work. I believe this is a requirement set by Nintendo.

I am not sure about the Wii backwards compatibility. But Nintendo has not been terribly forthcoming in that regard. We will most likely find out more details as we get closer to launch. Check some of the regular blog sites for information. Most of them have gotten early release Wii Us and should be able to provide these kinds of details.

#5 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I think Nintendo said they were leaving it up to the developers. I'm pretty sure every Nintendo title will. But I think some third-party titles don't.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#6 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciated.
Posted Image

#7 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

I bought a used wiimote without motion plus. I'm going to exchange it for a plus just in case.

#8 Zimmy

Zimmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

All Wii U titles require Wii Motion Plus. So if you are attempting to play a Wii U game, the original non motion+ controller is not going to work. I believe this is a requirement set by Nintendo.

I am not sure about the Wii backwards compatibility. But Nintendo has not been terribly forthcoming in that regard. We will most likely find out more details as we get closer to launch. Check some of the regular blog sites for information. Most of them have gotten early release Wii Us and should be able to provide these kinds of details.

I can confirm my OG Wii Mote worked fine with Super Mario Bros U.
Posted Image