Playstation Store Redesign

theblizzman

CAGiversary!
Maybe I am too negative, but the new store design is aweful. I wanted to hear what others had to say. To me it is extremely slow. I absoultely hate the filters. It seems to lock up on me often. Its like they put more focus on the glitz, but totally hosed the functionality.

Being so used to the old style, I'm not very positive either. I still wish there was an option to let you view it as the old style. Seems more disorganized to me.

I though my internet was messed up because it took forever to load screens.

Guess I'm not the only one with problems.

I'm not crazy about it either. Bringing up the new stuff brings up EVERYTHING NEW, all at once; dlc, avatars, themes, games, etc. I liked the old way where I could look at each category separately, or not at all.
(I know you can set a filter, but you have to do that every time)

Also, it seems like it takes three or 4 circle presses to exit the store as opposed to just one or two.
The searching is slower. I miss the keyboard option instead of just scrolling through the wall of letters.

It fucking sucks. Slow as shit, confusing, and they got rid of the keyboard for search and now you have to do 90s arcade bullshit for a simple search. fuck you Sony.

I like it. It takes a couple (only a couple) extra seconds to load, but it looks better. A quick press of the Triangle button and I can pull up the menu. And honestly, the games deserve this better presentation.

I like it. Just imagine if we went from what it is now to the older version (backwards evolution). People would be just as unhappy if not worse. It's hard to accept such extreme change when your used to using the same thing for years ya know

[quote name='eldergamer']
Also, it seems like it takes three or 4 circle presses to exit the store as opposed to just one or two.
QUOTE]
why not just press the PS button to exit?

I like it, It took me a few days to get used to it, but I'm now able to navigate and find what I'm looking for without much hassle. I like how when you click on a game all of the add ons and stuff are right there on the same page. I have to agree on the checkout process being very tedious though, and I hope they make the DL list sortable soon.

Don't care for it - it's slower than the old version, and I don't need fancy presentation over speed. Also, I had the store freeze my PS3 for the first time ever while redeeming a one month PS+ code. I had to go into my account info to verify the code redeemed properly.

Then again, I also still use classic theme/mode in Windows.

It looks better but getting in and out of the store is slower. The same can be said for the xbox 360's tiles user interface. The new store design makes advertisements and the stuff sony wants you to see stand out more but it takes more button presses to buy or get to the content "you" want to see.

I hate it as well. Not so much for the presentation, but the horrible organization. Who sorts add-ons by type, but not by game? Am I going to see a cute little character or an awesome stat booster that will make me go buy a game? I also have at least 1 game that says I don't own it anymore. Walking Dead episodes 1 and 2 were free for plus at one time, but 2 no longer says purchased.

[quote name='gossamer']I hate it as well. Not so much for the presentation, but the horrible organization. Who sorts add-ons by type, but not by game? Am I going to see a cute little character or an awesome stat booster that will make me go buy a game? I also have at least 1 game that says I don't own it anymore. Walking Dead episodes 1 and 2 were free for plus at one time, but 2 no longer says purchased.[/QUOTE]

I cant agree more with the add-ons. I really do not want to sort through 100 rockband add-ons to get to the one download I want. The same thing happened to me with LBP2. It now says I do not own. Who do you even e-mail to let them know there is a problem?

I don't know... I kinda like the new look, but the navigation of it is still new and cumbersome. I don't know what was wrong with the old store...

I do like how when I view a game it shows all the related DLC, avatars, etc., that is a nice feature... but the checkout process sucks.

And now it shows that some of what I've bought is bought and the others are not bought... confusing.

what organization did the previous store have? you had random categories placed within other lists. people got used to it out of memorization, not because of any sort of navigational sense.

I really wish they would have just kept it simplistic. Now I have to see Ads for stupid shit and can never find anything. I think they are going to lose sales with this as no one can find anything.

[quote name='panzerfaust']what organization did the previous store have? you had random categories placed within other lists. people got used to it out of memorization, not because of any sort of navigational sense.[/QUOTE]

You didn't need to fire up a separate app that took a minute+ to load. It was simple, this one is not. I don't want to buy anything out of this store because I can't find anything. Everything is blown up to emphasize things, but they take away a good deal of functionality doing that.

the serach function is shit too now youd think when you select U the first game on there would be uncharted but no i had to fucking spell out uncharted 3 by selecting each damn letter from the letter line and then once i got into the uncharted 3 stuff they didnt have it separated so i had to look through 333 damn items to find the map packs to redownload them.

i can see people liking how it looked but id give up all the pretty new bells and whistles to be able to find what i want in less than 10 to 15 minutes. you shouldnt have to go through so many damn hoops to get your stuff.

i dont think that the ps3 store needed to be redesigned. it was perfectly fine(excluding the crappy search and the download list). the vita however is a different story. that store is utter trash and really needs a redesigned.

[quote name='lokizz']the serach function is shit too now youd think when you select U the first game on there would be uncharted but no i had to fucking spell out uncharted 3 by selecting each damn letter from the letter line and then once i got into the uncharted 3 stuff they didnt have it separated so i had to look through 333 damn items to find the map packs to redownload them.

i can see people liking how it looked but id give up all the pretty new bells and whistles to be able to find what i want in less than 10 to 15 minutes. you shouldnt have to go through so many damn hoops to get your stuff.[/QUOTE]

You could have typed in Map Pack and just scrolled down to Uncharted 3. I agree though there should be a sort option for the add ons, especially with a game like UC3 which has 333 items available.

Hate it. Slow to start up when all I want to do is look at the PSN+ tab for less time than it takes to boot up. And god forbid you want that free game, because you will need to confirm the confirmation for confirming that confirm. JFC, how many times will it ask you to accept your free game?!

God awful.

[quote name='Jodou']Hate it. Slow to start up when all I want to do is look at the PSN+ tab for less time than it takes to boot up. And god forbid you want that free game, because you will need to confirm the confirmation for confirming that confirm. JFC, how many times will it ask you to accept your free game?!

God awful.[/QUOTE]

Spot on with this there are 4 confirms before you final can get the game into your history.

The new design makes it easier to find content. However, navigation is much worse. It's just slightly off with the way it scrolls and there is a little too much redundancy. Also some very poor design decisions like on movie sales they have a banner take up nearly half the screen and you can only see almost 2 rows of movies. Ridiculous. At least show 2 rows if not 3, not 1.8 rows.

Worst part is I went to download stuff and got a loading screen forever and an error, could not download item. Downloaded 2 other items after loading screen, but could not check out due to error. How are you supposed to make money Sony if we can't buy stuff from your store? Later found the items were available to redownload. Last, a big FAIL in not allowing us to filter our download list, especially with PS+ downloads. Ugh.

[quote name='J7.']The new design makes it easier to find content. However, navigation is much worse. It's just slightly off with the way it scrolls and there is a little too much redundancy. Also some very poor design decisions like on movie sales they have a banner take up nearly half the screen and you can only see almost 2 rows of movies. Ridiculous. At least show 2 rows if not 3, not 1.8 rows.

Worst part is I went to download stuff and got a loading screen forever and an error, could not download item. Downloaded 2 other items after loading screen, but could not check out due to error. How are you supposed to make money Sony if we can't buy stuff from your store? Later found the items were available to redownload. Last, a big FAIL in not allowing us to filter our download list, especially with PS+ downloads. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Click Games > Add-Ons > Now good luck trying to find what you want, you won't. No list by GAME NAME, only by "maps" "weapons" "skins" etc, have fun browsing that list. The current fix is: Click Games > All PS3 Games > find game by name, then all add-ons should be under it. But still, how is that easier? How is anyone supposed to know that w/o being told? Why even have an add-on tab if it isn't organized?

Anyway, the DL purchased list has always been bad (I have ~1600 items in it) so hopefully they'll fix that. But what makes it worse is, the content you own, doesn't show up as owned. I needed to DL my Plants vs. Zombie Table for Zen Pinball 2, and it wanted to charge me $3.99. So searching and finding the item in the store is useless now (this happened to a lot of content, I'm just using this one example) meaning you have to sift through the DL history of 1.6k items to download it, frustrating considering old PSN store you could just go to add-ons or search your item, and DL from there.

I could go on and list more problems, but as I said before, I don't have anything positive to say about the new PSN redesign.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Click Games > Add-Ons > Now good luck trying to find what you want, you won't. No list by GAME NAME, only by "maps" "weapons" "skins" etc, have fun browsing that list. The current fix is: Click Games > All PS3 Games > find game by name, then all add-ons should be under it. But still, how is that easier? How is anyone supposed to know that w/o being told? Why even have an add-on tab if it isn't organized?

Anyway, the DL purchased list has always been bad (I have ~1600 items in it) so hopefully they'll fix that. But what makes it worse is, the content you own, doesn't show up as owned. I needed to DL my Plants vs. Zombie Table for Zen Pinball 2, and it wanted to charge me $3.99. So searching and finding the item in the store is useless now (this happened to a lot of content, I'm just using this one example) meaning you have to sift through the DL history of 1.6k items to download it, frustrating considering old PSN store you could just go to add-ons or search your item, and DL from there.

I could go on and list more problems, but as I said before, I don't have anything positive to say about the new PSN redesign.[/QUOTE]
The previous store had that same type of strange organization problem, only in more areas. I can remember many times even searching for PS3 games on the old store and them not being in categories they should have appeared in. Had to find a hidden category to gain access. So that's nothing new.

That's crappy that the game is not showing up as owned. I was happy when the new store showed that Apps I previously downloaded did show up as purchased at least in the listings area.

seems to be a lot better (actually functional) since I downloaded the latest update to the store late last night. I still cannot believe in building a new app for the store they didn't think to include a sort or filter option for your download list, that's criminal negligence.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']

[/QUOTE]

If you search for an item that you've purchased, it won't say on the actual item's screen but it will say "Download" with a white bag next to it if you own it. Otherwise it will give the price. Hopefully this helps and I'm not wrong. It would've made more sense for the store to be more clear about it.

[quote name='J7.']If you search for an item that you've purchased, it won't say on the actual item's screen but it will say "Download" with a white bag next to it if you own it. Otherwise it will give the price. Hopefully this helps and I'm not wrong. It would've made more sense for the store to be more clear about it.[/QUOTE]

Nope. While that will work for a lot of things, my specific example is of the new PSN store bug. Some DLC I own, and even some games, do not show up as owned. They did on old store, but not new one, hence the displeasure with the new PSN store. Clicking add to cart, and continuing down the many click path, it will add a price to the cart even though I own it. The DL list will work, but navigating 1600+ items sucks.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Nope. While that will work for a lot of things, my specific example is of the new PSN store bug. Some DLC I own, and even some games, do not show up as owned. They did on old store, but not new one, hence the displeasure with the new PSN store. Clicking add to cart, and continuing down the many click path, it will add a price to the cart even though I own it. The DL list will work, but navigating 1600+ items sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yea, pretty much this. My download list is crazy. It NEEDS to be sortable. I also would love to know what dlc I have installed on my ps3.

If it was as fast as the old store app, maybe it would be OK.

The startup time is inexcusably bad, and it actually gets choppy just scrolling around. For a simple 2D app, why drop frames? They clearly didn't optimize. I wonder if it's based on HTML or something.

[quote name='StilesCrisis']If it was as fast as the old store app, maybe it would be OK.

The startup time is inexcusably bad, and it actually gets choppy just scrolling around. For a simple 2D app, why drop frames? They clearly didn't optimize. I wonder if it's based on HTML or something.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they said it was HTML5.

I know I am late to the party, but holy shit the site still sucks. I like the look and design, but since it takes so damn long to load and to move around it sucks monkey balls.

How do you search for 3D games or PS Move games??? They took away those categories.

And also, how do you recommend games to your friend? I remember if you were browsing on the old version there was an option to send someone an IM about the game but I con't find that option now either.

The new store sucks.

bread's done
Back