Photo
- - - - -

ps3 hdd Seagate Momentus XT 500gb $50

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the link.

That, the fact that this is the 1st gen drive, and the many issues I've read about the newer Seagate drives (I've had many Seagate drives throughout the years in my PC's, but I have read that their quality has been on the decline) has help me decide to just hold off for a good deal on a WD Scorpio black drive.

500GB Scorpio Black is $68.83 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $59.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004LR1RPK/

750GB Scorpio Black is $83.99 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $79.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B004I9J5OG

#32 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

any 2.5" will fit in a PS3. I'd rather put a SSD in there for better load times.

Unless you got a crap ton of money you dont need I would never do this. SSD's have a limited number of reads/writes though they got a lot better about it.

Still the speed increase wouldn't be worth it I think, and from what I've seen your better off placing a SSD into a PC or laptop and you'll be much happier with it.
Waddles From Gravity Falls is best pony!

#33 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Aghhhhh!!! Why can't it be $49.99 listed on newegg?! Than I could PM at Best Buy and buy it with the Krueig coffee maker I'm getting my parents, using my 3x RZ points coupon to get about $10 more in RZ certs..

You should try and PM it anyway. Though honestly good luck finding the same hard drive in best buy. Every few years their upgrade selection has been getting less and less. Hell I never seen them offer any current gen GPU's (in store) in the last 6 years.

#34 ZeroUnderOne

ZeroUnderOne

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

I just wanted to link this guide on preventing ylod in case people were worried about heating issues.

I did this to my original 60GB and I have never had any sort of problems with it.

Link to Guide.

#35 Pend

Pend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

500GB Scorpio Black is $68.83 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $59.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004LR1RPK/

750GB Scorpio Black is $83.99 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $79.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B004I9J5OG

Hmm been waiting on upgrading my 320gb I installed a long time back on my PS3 to a 1TB, but took a long time to get one in the 9.5mm range. Surprised you didn't list this:
1TB Scorpio Blue $90.71 http://www.amazon.co...=I2Z2YXMY4W5QZL

Read that the games are made to run at 5400 RPM. The black edition has more RPM but less space. I'm down to less than 1GB left on my 320GB and i think for the life of the PS3 i might go space wise. Any hard drive will slow down when less then 30% free space. I think it depends on speed versus memory would be the deciding factor.

#36 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

You should try and PM it anyway. Though honestly good luck finding the same hard drive in best buy. Every few years their upgrade selection has been getting less and less. Hell I never seen them offer any current gen GPU's (in store) in the last 6 years.

Apparently they have the exact one available at my local BBY for $79.99...must be the newest model?
Posted Image

#37 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Apparently they have the exact one available at my local BBY for $79.99...must be the newest model?

I honestly dont know if its new or not. But they certainly are trying to market it as new, though I don't think it's any ground breaking tech and it certainly wouldn't be nearly as fast as a SSD.

For computers anyhow.

#38 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Not a bad deal, but why not add another $40-50 and double the capacity? 1 TB can be had for less than $100.

That's what I did, and I'm very glad I did. In five months, I've burned through about 400 GB so far. The majority of that comes from free PS+ games, though I also have a large music collection on there (great for games which support custom soundtracks), a handful of movies, some TV shows, and Japanese lectures. In any case, I'd be banging my head against the wall in a few months if I'd gone 500 GB, but that's just me.

Might as well bite the bullet and never have to worry about running out of space again.

On a different note...

Unless you got a crap ton of money you dont need I would never do this. SSD's have a limited number of reads/writes though they got a lot better about it.

The last time I remember looking into this (earlier this year when I bought one), the general consensus seemed to be that the read/write limitations are no longer an issue whatsoever.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#39 Cutrate

Cutrate

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

I recently put one of these into my PS3 (at a cost of about $70).

Load times are a bit faster than the stock (40gb in my case), and were most notable for making Tekken 6 seem more playable.

#40 GogetaSS4

GogetaSS4

Super Saiyan 4

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

I'd be all over this if I had some money.

GogetaSS4sig-v2.gifApostleOfGod.png

#41 cargo555

cargo555

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Same here. I'm even contemplating buying two, to have one as extra storage for the Wii U...

i thought the wii u only uses USB portable harddrives for extra storage....NOT 2.5" laptop harddrives

anyways, this is a tempting deal.....i loved how sony allowed the end user to swap in harddrives so that you werent raped up the asses with certain proprietary harddrives

too bad consumers didnt reward PS3 with more sales for this perk........i forsee sony selling PS4 with a proprietary storage solution like the vita

#42 ruibing

ruibing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Great deal for a hard drive upgrade.

A PS3 can't make good use of a SSD due to SATA 1.5 Gbps and lack of TRIM support, so this is the next best thing. It's also suppose to run fairly cool for a 7200 RPM.

I would buy one if I didn't already upgrade to a 500GB hDD.
Posted Image

#43 AukeySeven

AukeySeven

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

just make sure you d/l the ps update on a flash drive before backing up your ps3

#44 nathan88

nathan88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Finally bought one. I don't have to keep deleting my games/data anymore woot.

#45 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

i thought the wii u only uses USB portable harddrives for extra storage....NOT 2.5" laptop harddrives

You could always put it in an enclosure and turn it into a external HDD, it's not strictly compatible with laptops.
Posted Image

#46 zeldaking

zeldaking

I LOVE BOOBS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

Amazon just price matched this hard drive. I really need one for my PS3.

http://www.amazon.co...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#47 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

Nice! Now to decide where to buy it from Amazon or Newegg. Both charge tax in California. I don't have Prime, but I do have that Shoprunner 2 day shipping. Good find!

#48 sittinghawk3

sittinghawk3

Damn... Kobe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

I think most people need a lot of space in their PS3 due to game installs and that fact that it's a very versatile multimedia system. The speed would be nice, but large SSDs are still expensive (I think it costs somehwere around $400 for a 256GB SSD).

It isn't anywhere near 400 for 256gb. More like 150-170.

Sign up with my link to get free 2 dollar credit to GMG here  ;) Add me on steam here.

I've made 300 bucks in amazon credit and cash doing surveys here. I make 1$ if you use my referral and complete a survey. Min 5$ cashout for AGC, Min 10$ for paypal.

#49 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

If you have a new PS3 slim, jsut remember you may need to format a USB stick to NTFS? i think. Because the newer PS3s do not have firmware stored on the motherboard so when you change the HDDs it can cause issues if you do not have a usb thumbdrive with the latest system update.

#50 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

If you have a new PS3 slim, jsut remember you may need to format a USB stick to NTFS? i think. Because the newer PS3s do not have firmware stored on the motherboard so when you change the HDDs it can cause issues if you do not have a usb thumbdrive with the latest system update.

usb stick must be formatted to fat 32 ps3 doesn't read ntfs formatted flash drives.

also I ordered my hard drive yesterday morning and I got it today before 1pm... that was the fastest free shipping ive ever seen personally.
Posted Image

#51 Don illmatix

Don illmatix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

These hard drives have huge issues you guys should look into before buying.....
Posted ImagePosted Image
Reverse psychology got em scared to say when shit is whack
Out of fear of being called a hater, imagine that!

#52 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

These hard drives have huge issues you guys should look into before buying.....

every hard drive has issues that you should look into before buying. Unless you have been living on another planet every single mechanical hard disk out there has a decent chance of being DOA. Some are worse than others.

You wont see me rocking a WD Green or Blue anytime ever...
Posted Image

#53 rapsodist

rapsodist

My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

Thanks! Just picked one up. My 80GB PS3 is filled, so this will do nicely.

#54 Don illmatix

Don illmatix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

every hard drive has issues that you should look into before buying. Unless you have been living on another planet every single mechanical hard disk out there has a decent chance of being DOA. Some are worse than others.

You wont see me rocking a WD Green or Blue anytime ever...

i know, but this one has big time issues that come from the fact that these are first gen hybrid drives. Faulty drivers and overheating issues. Look it up if you wish, or use your "most hdds are doa" logic and buy one.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

i know, but this one has big time issues that come from the fact that these are first gen hybrid drives. Faulty drivers and overheating issues. Look it up if you wish, or use your "most hdds are doa" logic and buy one.

already said i bought one and I posted the deal. I never said most HDD's are DOA i said there is a decent chance any hdd you buy could be DOA quite a difference.

anyway moving on if there is an issue with it I return it no big deal.
Posted Image

#56 Don illmatix

Don illmatix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Anyway to those who dont have their heads up their axx, you should really look up the issues with this HDD before buying.

I could be over-exaggerating, but it can NEVER hurt to know more about what you're buying.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

youre a moron, seriously.
Posted Image

#58 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Is this the same drive?? http://www.amazon.co...aw_bottom_links
Posted Image

#59 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thx op, I picked one up.
3DS: AC New Leaf | PSV:Resistance/Black Ops/MGS 3 SE | PS4: Ghosts/Killzone | Wii U: SC: Blacklist | PS3: TWD S2 | Xbox360: GoWJ | Xbox1: DR3

...*I* am said douche (as if y'all didn't know)...

I just had sex with my mom and she gave me flowers

#60 daver16

daver16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Ordered one from Amazon since I had credit and if there are issues their customer service tends to be second to none.