Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#3241 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hey I've got an idea. Let's stop the pointless argument about PS+.

It's all opinions, you like it or hate it and it doesn't matter.

Next deal please.

#3242 Nohbdy

Nohbdy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Noticeably absent from that list are games from Activision.

What do you expect out of a company run by pretentious assholes?

#3243 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Being the "best deal in gaming" doesn't cut it when people put their $50 down knowing just a fraction of the content. A deal is only good if you get something that's of value to you. If they are going to take people's money based on expectations, they have to be willing to meet them when they are reasonable, and there's nothing unreasonable about most people's complaints. Europe's offerings should be proof of that. You act like people are expecting the world... but there's hundreds, if not thousands of games on PSN that Sony could try to offer to cater to different tastes.

I'm a Plus subscriber for the retail games. You know how many we've gotten since the initial batch?

Five.

Borderlands in September, King of Fighters XIII in October, Resident Evil 5 in November, and BioShock 2 and Street Fighter IV in December.

That's over seven months. Two of those games are fighters... one of the less popular genres. The other three are shooters that are each three years old and can easily be found for under $20.

Is that really the best Sony can do? Is that all people are allowed to expect?

People have a right to complain. Megaman is the fifth 2-D sidescroller out of the 22 games that have been offered since Sony started rotating new games into the initial batch. Let that sink in. They've offered as many freakin' side-scrollers are they have full-sized retail games. That's not catering to a wide audience, and in that case, you're bound to see people upset, especially for those who went in expecting a better balance between PSN and retail games.

So you got five games for $10 each when you can normally only find them for under $20 (what does that mean? $10-20?) and that doesn't count all the PSN games you got. Furthermore, you have five months to go.

Poor you.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3244 MrBeatdown

MrBeatdown

DumbAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

So you got five games for $10 each when you can normally only find them for under $20 (what does that mean? $10-20?) and that doesn't count all the PSN games you got. Furthermore, you have five months to go.

Poor you.

Uh, you realize that not everyone likes everything, and that it's possible that people already have some of the games offered, right?

Hell, even Sony realizes that.

There's a reason Sony set the price at $50. You act like Plus is priced as if it is just to give you some mind-blowing deal. You completely ignore that it's priced as it is because Sony is compensating for all the content you're paying for, regardless of whether you already have it, want it, or like it. If the value a person sees in Plus was simply a matter of standard pricing in comparison to the subscription cost divided by the number of games, Sony could sell subscriptions for $100 or more and everyone and their mom would still be signing up, but that's not the case, is it?

That's what makes the whole service viable. If all of it was stuff everybody wanted and would pay for it at anywhere near normal price, or even half price, publishers wouldn't be letting Sony distribute it at what I'm sure earns the publisher just pennies per download. Fact is, publishers let Sony offer it because even if it earns the publisher less per person, it will be sold to far more people than those that would actually buy it.

Fact is, I wouldn't have paid $10 for any of those five games. Some because I already paid for them once years ago. Some because I wouldn't buy them at all.

You can try to justify how everyone not completely satisfied with Plus is wrong, but you're going to fail every time. Unfortunately, basic math doesn't account for gamers' tastes, what we've already played, and quality.

By your logic, Sony can offer 50 Minis, and so long as it's a better value than buying them seperately, people should be lapping it up.

#3245 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hey I've got an idea. Let's stop the pointless argument about PS+.

It's all opinions, you like it or hate it and it doesn't matter.

Next deal please.

QFT everyone has different tastes...if you dont like it than dont re-up. Simple as that.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#3246 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

shut the Fuck up already.
edit: iatcg, is that you?!

#3247 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Going off of a point that io made earlier, here are the top third-party publishers of PS+ free games (minus Minis since I don't want to do that much work)

Hey Frisky, it's great to see that you really care about the Ps3/PSN/PS+ community around here and I appreciate all the effort you display at this thread. Great work man! :applause:

Edited by FerDK, 08 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

#3248 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I'm a Plus subscriber for the retail games. You know how many we've gotten since the initial batch?

Five.

Borderlands in September, King of Fighters XIII in October, Resident Evil 5 in November, and BioShock 2 and Street Fighter IV in December.

Why are you ignoring the "initial batch" of games? Games like Infamous2, LBP2, R&C:A41, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2, and Warhammer 40k are also pretty nice. If you joined in June like I did, you should have about 10-15 retail games and another 10-15 PSN games. Even at the low end of 20 games, $50 per year is not bad. And this is not even including Vita games. This is also not including the fact that June subsribers have 6 months left on that one year subscription. At this rate, there could easily be 30 or 40 games at the end of that first year. Less than $2 per game seems like a good deal to me - even if I don't want some of them.

That being said, if the service quality wanes over time, the value proposition will get less and less, but it is much too early to be concerned by that.

#3249 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hey Frisky, it's great to see that you really care about the Ps3/PSN/PS+ community around here and I appreciate all the efford you display at this thread. Great work man! :applause:

Thumb up! "Then I flip a switch and Friski is everything...."
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#3250 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Poor you.

What did you expect, look at his user tag. Literally bought plus for free retail games as if that's mainly what the service was intended for:roll:

#3251 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

What did you expect, look at his user tag. Literally bought plus for free retail games as if that's mainly what the service was intended for:roll:

Well clearly there's a disclaimer with Plus that says users are going to get a minimum number of retail games per year. And anyone buying the service for anything other than retail games should just not bother.

Oh wait...the primary purpose of Plus isn't to get free retail games? And there's no promise or assumption anywhere that the majority of free games offered should be retail games? Weird...

ProfessorStotch.png
Check me out on Twitch!

My man Pharm fucks all night. Call him Super Mario, cuz he be layin' the pipe

#3252 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I have 1 month membership and just need to decide when to cash it in. Main thing is I have yet to play the games we have on disc, so I'm not really in a hurry to get new games. But I don't want to miss out on good ones that might expire. I guess as soon as I see that some good stuff is going to go poof, then I'll start my subscription.

Crunchewy.png

#3253 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

The recent PS+ free full retail games haven't been to my liking but the smaller PSN games have made up for it in my opinion. I think we got better games in the intial IGC offering, but its all still good to me.

I would still really like Sony to give me a sale on the Folklore DLC that no one else wants and everyone would complain about getting.

#3254 hostyl1

hostyl1

Can do this all day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thumb up! "Then I flip a switch and Friski is everything...."

Do you know I've turned on my PS3 and gone to the QC splash screen *just* to listen to that song repeat. It might just be my 4th favorite gaming song after Still Alive, Zombies on Your Lawn, and The Mega Man 2 Intro.

N8Ao63nmzuE

On Topic: I wonder how well I could play a Mega Man game today. Oh yeah, thanks to US+ I guess I can try out 9 & 10. Yay for me! [/snark]
Posted Image

#3255 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't mind if the games being offered aren't my type of game. I just want them to give us games a majority of people are actually interested in. No more 3-5 year old retail games. No more PSN games with a metacritic score below 50. No more sports games. (unless they're this years edition) I'm fine with MM because it was a game most people passed on but would play at the great price of free. I've already got enough value from the service but it's just frustrating to see them get deals on games noone wants them to.

#3256 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I guess I'm the only one who isn't outraged at getting the arcade-style sports games that don't get yearly updates because they don't need them. I don't consider them sports games in the same way I consider Madden/The Show/NBA 2K sports games.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#3257 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

People have a right to complain. Megaman is the fifth 2-D sidescroller out of the 22 games that have been offered since Sony started rotating new games into the initial batch. Let that sink in. They've offered as many freakin' side-scrollers are they have full-sized retail games. That's not catering to a wide audience, and in that case, you're bound to see people upset, especially for those who went in expecting a better balance between PSN and retail games.

The rest of the guys have pretty much said what I would have in a response so there's not much more for me to say on the subject of PS+.

I actually have no problem with people voicing their opinion or "complaining" about PS+, or pretty much anything else in the world. I think the reason we're all so testy about the PS+ complainers is that they do it in such a childish, immature, ungrateful fashion. They call the 20+ PSN games we're received since IGC started "crap" and "garbage", they threaten to storm off and not renew their subscription or to even change to a rival console, they curse and whine and (on the PS Blog) even suggest that the SCEA team should be fired. When the complainers say stuff like that, their arguments lose all validity. And since it happens almost ad nauseum across the internet, those of us here on CAG tire of it.

Here's a far better way of complaining:

Spoiler

If someone was to post a well thought out "complaint" like the one above, I'd gladly respond to it in a civil manner and have a genuine discussion about it. I'm sure Morgan and the team at the PS Blog would be more responsive and appreciative of critical feedback like that as well.

Do you know I've turned on my PS3 and gone to the QC splash screen *just* to listen to that song repeat. It might just be my 4th favorite gaming song after Still Alive, Zombies on Your Lawn, and The Mega Man 2 Intro.

On Topic: I wonder how well I could play a Mega Man game today. Oh yeah, thanks to US+ I guess I can try out 9 & 10. Yay for me! [/snark]

Really? I couldn't stand that song. It made me cringe whenever I had to hover over the game icon on the XMB before I started it up.

Thanks for posting the MegaMan 2 music though. Can never get enough of that. As for 9 and 10, they're honestly almost exactly as difficult as the originals. The only difference is that a lot of people's gaming habits (including mine) have changed. We want to race through the level, blast the boss, and move on. Well that doesn't happen in MegaMan, and you'll be punished for playing like that. But after playing the levels for the 3rd or 4th time, you start memorizing exactly what to do, and after that it's not hard to make it through a lot of levels without a scratch.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3258 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

The rest of the guys have pretty much said what I would have in a response so there's not much more for me to say on the subject of PS+.

I actually have no problem with people voicing their opinion or "complaining" about PS+, or pretty much anything else in the world. I think the reason we're all so testy about the PS+ complainers is that they do it in such a childish, immature, ungrateful fashion. They call the 20+ PSN games we're received since IGC started "crap" and "garbage", they threaten to storm off and not renew their subscription or to even change to a rival console, they curse and whine and (on the PS Blog) even suggest that the SCEA team should be fired. When the complainers say stuff like that, their arguments lose all validity. And since it happens almost ad nauseum across the internet, those of us here on CAG tire of it.

Here's a far better way of complaining:

Spoiler

If someone was to post a well thought out "complaint" like the one above, I'd gladly respond to it in a civil manner and have a genuine discussion about it. I'm sure Morgan and the team at the PS Blog would be more responsive and appreciative of critical feedback like that as well.

Really? I couldn't stand that song. It made me cringe whenever I had to hover over the game icon on the XMB before I started it up.

Thanks for posting the MegaMan 2 music though. Can never get enough of that. As for 9 and 10, they're honestly almost exactly as difficult as the originals. The only difference is that a lot of people's gaming habits (including mine) have changed. We want to race through the level, blast the boss, and move on. Well that doesn't happen in MegaMan, and you'll be punished for playing like that. But after playing the levels for the 3rd or 4th time, you start memorizing exactly what to do, and after that it's not hard to make it through a lot of levels without a scratch.

Dang, I was going to skip this but if it's on par with the difficulty of MM2 I'm in. I loved that game. (Probably will rage quit 10 mins in... but I have to know just how bad my gaming skills have fallen.) EDIT: Looked it up. Turns out the one I played a ton of was MM3. The one where we meet his dog.

#3259 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

QFT everyone has different tastes...if you dont like it than dont re-up. Simple as that.

Basically this. I guess people can get upset about Europe getting more of the games they want and the selection that they offer here, but no one forces you to buy a subscription.

As for me, I dipped a toe in the water by buying a 3 month subscription (extended to 4 via promo), reupped for a year to get Jurassic Park and just recently reupped again. There are a lot of games I've played, and a lot of games I haven't had the time to get to. There have been some I never would have thought of getting, and others that were on my list. Some did duplicate stuff I bought before, but there are so many games that have been offered I don't lack for any.

While some of the games Europe gets would have been nice, none of them are gamechangers for me.
Posted Image

#3260 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

WOW!!! I just read over 6 pages of BS to find out that Megaman 9 and 10 are free on PS+. Nice!

#3261 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

WOW!!! I just read over 6 pages of BS to find out that Megaman 9 and 10 are free on PS+. Nice!

Nice job, sherlock

#3262 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is being released next week!

http://blog.us.plays...knows-no-mercy/

Price: $19.99

#3263 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I made this thread a little while ago. If people want to use it to bitch/praise/argue to their heart's content about PS+ regional differences, please feel free.

PS+ Regional Comparison Thread

Whoever mentioned buying some jetpack joyride dlc as a 'tip', good idea. I picked up the counterfeit machine too with that in mind - the game has been a very fun diversion this past week and I'm all for supporting companies that bring more games to the vita.

MildObstruction.png

#3264 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is being released next week!

http://blog.us.plays...knows-no-mercy/

Price: $19.99

This reminds me I haven't played the first game since I got it on sale back in late Oct. Might get this, but probably once it's on sale.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3265 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Dang, I was going to skip this but if it's on par with the difficulty of MM2 I'm in. I loved that game. (Probably will rage quit 10 mins in... but I have to know just how bad my gaming skills have fallen.) EDIT: Looked it up. Turns out the one I played a ton of was MM3. The one where we meet his dog.

Like most people, 2 & 3 are my absolute favorites from the 8-bit era. If you haven't played a ton of 2, you should check it out. 9 & 10 are solid games, but they're not quite on the level of 2 & 3 (although nostalgia may play a part in my feeling on that).

Nice job, sherlock

I laughed. :)

I made this thread a little while ago. If people want to use it to bitch/praise/argue to their heart's content about PS+ regional differences, please feel free.

PS+ Regional Comparison Thread

Nice, in the future I'll try to remember to link to that thread if/when the US/EU debate starts up here again.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3266 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

When I see the thread moving really quickly like it has been. I always just go to the playstation blog site to get my info. (But whatever you do avoid reading the comments section!)

#3267 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Nice job, sherlock

Thanks I do my best. :lol:

#3268 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm not seeing mega man free, it shows $15 for the combo pack or $9.99 each. Sale isn't over already, is it? Or does it drop tonight? Sorry, last 5 pages of arguments over + made me skip sections of it, might have missed something.

#3269 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

It'll be available later today for PS+ when the store updates. People will post when the price has been changed.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3270 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

It'll be available later today for PS+ when the store updates. People will post when the price has been changed.

Thanks. Saw a couple of people posting about achievements, thought I might have missed it.