Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#3781 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

So I finally played Journey and it was all right. I didn't understand all the hype this game got though. Game of the year? Ehhh. Then again, I really didn't get all the acclaim Flower got so maybe I'm just not part of the target audience.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3782 stillshadow

stillshadow

Formerly Jaskull

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

It was a pleasant surprise for me today to see that StarDrone is cross-buy and I guess I bought it on sale for PS3 ages ago. Another free Vita game!

#3783 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

So I finally played Journey and it was all right. I didn't understand all the hype this game got though. Game of the year? Ehhh. Then again, I really didn't get all the acclaim Flower got so maybe I'm just not part of the target audience.

I have a long standing theory that certain games get a pass for whatever reason, which is especially true for artsy games. I think some people want to seem "smart" or "cultured", so when these games come out, they act like they're several times better than they actually are.

Like I finally got around to playing SoTC around a year ago and despised the game. Don't get me wrong, it was nice looking (for a PS2 title) and had some interesting bosses, but the warrior seemed to always be drunk (I heard the PS3 version is harder than the PS2 version, plus the actual combat was pretty boring once you knew what to do. Maybe I missed the point, maybe I didn't "get" the game, but whatever the case is, I think it just became cool to like it and the game in turn became amazing.

It was a pleasant surprise for me today to see that StarDrone is cross-buy and I guess I bought it on sale for PS3 ages ago. Another free Vita game!

Trophies also unlock via cross save.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#3784 stillshadow

stillshadow

Formerly Jaskull

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Nice. I haven't actually played a game with cross-save yet. I think that Retro City Rampage has it as well? So, for example, if my Vita automatically uploads my saves to the Cloud the PS3 version will know to look there for a save and then get 2 sets of trophies that way, too?

#3785 bozemanriverrat

bozemanriverrat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Sorry if this has been asked but is there a way around getting the Mega Man bundle if you already own one of them? I've got 10 (bought 9 on Wii) and would like to get 9 on PS3 as well but it won't let me because I already own 10.

#3786 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Sorry if this has been asked but is there a way around getting the Mega Man bundle if you already own one of them? I've got 10 (bought 9 on Wii) and would like to get 9 on PS3 as well but it won't let me because I already own 10.

Just go to MM9 page and it should be free by itself as well.

#3787 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have a long standing theory that certain games get a pass for whatever reason, which is especially true for artsy games. I think some people want to seem "smart" or "cultured", so when these games come out, they act like they're several times better than they actually are.

I 100% agree, especially when it came to Flower. I liked Journey better than Flower, but I've seen people call it one of the finest experiences in gaming history. Yeah, okay.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3788 TimesTicking

TimesTicking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Nice. I haven't actually played a game with cross-save yet. I think that Retro City Rampage has it as well? So, for example, if my Vita automatically uploads my saves to the Cloud the PS3 version will know to look there for a save and then get 2 sets of trophies that way, too?

Not sure how it all works out but, I only downloaded the copy of Retro City Rampage on my Vita and on the trophy list it shows as PS3 and Vita that I gained the trophy, but for some reason the PSABR Vita and PS3 trophy are apart >.<

#3789 AkariK

AkariK

マスタースパーク

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Like I finally got around to playing SoTC around a year ago and despised the game. Don't get me wrong, it was nice looking (for a PS2 title) and had some interesting bosses, but the warrior seemed to always be drunk (I heard the PS3 version is harder than the PS2 version, plus the actual combat was pretty boring once you knew what to do. Maybe I missed the point, maybe I didn't "get" the game, but whatever the case is, I think it just became cool to like it and the game in turn became amazing.

Shadow of the Colossus was good for its time. I don't think it stands up well now, and I absolutely would have no desire to play it a second time. However, when it first came out, it was a pretty amazing experience. My roommate was solidly addicted to it as well.

Unlike Stardrone which has 2 stacking trophy lists, Retro City Rampage has 1 shared list. There also seems to be a bug where if you transfer the save and play on the other system, it does some weird treasure bug that ruins trophy progress, but I don't know details about that since I never got it.

#3790 moojuice

moojuice

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

PS3 version has trophies, while the PC version has a higher framerate and resolution.

Darksiders PC also has Steam achievements and automatically supports some gamepads (X input gamepads or Xbox 360 controllers). It plays pretty nicely on PC, too.

Resolution and fps are gonna be my focuses, so I'm not going to bother with downloading it again. Thanks for the answers, didnt know if Darksiders was one of "those" ports.

#3791 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Have to agree that SoTC didn't age as well as some would like to believe. The controls were just too wonky. I also felt that way about Ico, although it did get more interesting toward the end.

Now, with Journey, we'll just to have disagree. It's tied for my GOTY. I thought it was brilliant, and well worth it at the sale price (7.50, I think). $15 might have been pushing it. I'm not trying to be pretentious, lol, but it resonated with me. Something was especially cerebral about being linked with random people and having to complete "the journey" together. I don't think multiplayer has ever been implemented that seamlessly into a game, and by the end, I felt like I'd grown to know my partner(s).

To those who haven't played it and intend to, make sure you set aside the time needed to do it in one runthrough (abt. 2 hours). You have to play it in one playthrough, as well as not having any other distractions! Don't read reviews, and don't look at trophy lists (you can easily clean those up afterwards). I played it at night, volume up, completely naked with the lights out and enjoyed every minute.

#3792 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Now, with Journey, we'll just to have disagree. It's tied for my GOTY. I thought it was brilliant, and well worth it at the sale price (7.50, I think). $15 might have been pushing it. I'm not trying to be pretentious, lol, but it resonated with me. Something was especially cerebral about being linked with random people and having to complete "the journey" together. I don't think multiplayer has ever been implemented that seamlessly into a game, and by the end, I felt like I'd grown to know my partner(s).

To those who haven't played it and intend to, make sure you set aside the time needed to do it in one runthrough (abt. 2 hours). You have to play it in one playthrough, as well as not having any other distractions! Don't read reviews, and don't look at trophy lists (you can easily clean those up afterwards). I played it at night, volume up, completely naked with the lights out and enjoyed every minute.

Agree with everything you said. Including playing Journey while naked. Although I would suggest a bowl of cheese puffs at your side. For obvious and not obvious reasons. And a bottle of window cleaner. Epic.

#3793 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Have to agree that SoTC didn't age as well as some would like to believe. The controls were just too wonky. I also felt that way about Ico, although it did get more interesting toward the end.

Bare Ass Gamer

#3794 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, games like that aren't for me either. I don't play games for "the experience", I play for quality gameplay. So Flower, Journey, and even Walking Dead do nothing for me.

Ouch, right in the nostalgia. Hearing SotC compared to games like Journey and Flower makes me cringe. SotC is one of the best games I've played, though I'll admit it's already been quite a few years since I last played it.

I'll admit that the story and setting are a little bit "artsy" but the gameplay is solid once you actually get to a Colossus. I definitely didn't think the combat was boring at all, pretty much every Colossus had enough unique about him that each battle felt different. I was definitely challenged by that game, spending quite a bit of time with each Colossus and figuring out what to do. The game was basically just 16 different boss fights, but each one presented enough of a puzzle and a challenge that I found it enthralling from beginning to end. Fighting the flying bird Colossus over the water is one of my most memorable gaming moments. I fell in the water so many damn times, but each time I was excited to climb out of the water and try again.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3795 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Wow, it's nice to hear that other people didn't enjoy SoTC, either. I remember getting the game when it first released on the PS2 and hated the controls. They were just way to sloppy and I couldn't get past that. I really liked Ico, though.

#3796 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I love games like spec ops and sotc where the main character get's darker as the game progresses. you start out the hero and at the end, you are something barely familiar to what you started as. tiny incremental changes. cool
http://thegaminghips...er_progress.jpg
http://tier1studios....ncept-Art-1.jpg
Walker and Wander stare into the abyss too long...

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#3797 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I liked what I played of SOTC on PS2, then got sidetracked. Now that we have a PS3 I'm inclined to pick up the HD remake. Definitely on my wish list. I don't recall having problems with the controls in the PS2 game (which I maybe played a year or two ago, so not that long ago).

Crunchewy.png

#3798 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Kat & Emmett are being released for PS All-Stars Feb. 12th (trailers included), & as a reminder, are free for everyone for the 1st two weeks.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3799 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I agree, it gives the characters depth that possibly shooting or killing person after person affects them in some way. Loved that in Spec Ops. I always wonder how just many people have died by the hands of Nathan Drake when I play Uncharted but he seems unphased by that fact completely.

I'm playing Uncharted now. I just had to laugh when at one point, after lots of battles and killing have already happened, Nathan says to the girl, "You know, this isn't going to be a cake walk". LOL! Video game stories are so horrible.

Crunchewy.png

#3800 Barry Burton

Barry Burton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

it's tied for your game of the year, but you think $15 is "pushing it"?

i liked flower more than journey though both are vastly overrated, i also couldn't stand the controls of shadow of the colossus

#3801 Barry Burton

Barry Burton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'm playing Uncharted now. I just had to laugh when at one point, after lots of battles and killing have already happened, Nathan says to the girl, "You know, this isn't going to be a cake walk". LOL! Video game stories are so horrible.

that's the point, uncharted is supposed to be humorous not serious

#3802 JCrichton

JCrichton

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

that's the point, uncharted is supposed to be humorous not serious

Exactly. Just like every popcorn action/adventure movie.

#3803 BWOzar

BWOzar

Give Vita a Chance!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Kat & Emmett are being released for PS All-Stars Feb. 12th (trailers included), & as a reminder, are free for everyone for the 1st two weeks.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this. Excited to get back into one of my favorite Vita games. The blog teases more 'All Stars' coming in March as well.

I'd add that the Wipeout/Heavenly Sword level is also coming 2/12/13.

#3804 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'd add that the Wipeout/Heavenly Sword level is also coming 2/12/13.

And it's not going to be free.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3805 BWOzar

BWOzar

Give Vita a Chance!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

And it's not going to be free.

Yup - free for all players in Ranked mode, must be purchased for offline/non-ranked play.

#3806 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I agree with this, except I would change "games" to "studios." Team Ico could literally sell a blank disc, and it would receive 9s and 10s for it's "brilliance" and "breathtaking visuals." Same goes with thatgamecompany. The problem is, these studios make one good game that gets a lot of hype, and then from there on everything they do is "flawless" and you're just a dummy if you don't agree.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here who did not care for SotC. I've mentioned in other places that I didn't really like it, and was called all sorts of vulgar names.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check me out on Twitch!

I entered her with almost no resistance. 

#3807 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I 100% agree, especially when it came to Flower. I liked Journey better than Flower, but I've seen people call it one of the finest experiences in gaming history. Yeah, okay.

Artsy Fartsy.

I played flower a bit and thought "how fucking bored does someone have to be to enjoy this game(?)?" And even after all the praise heaped on Journey I knew not to bother trying it as I know it isnt a game for me. You two just triple confirmed it for me. Im sure its a well made game, but I know for a fact it aint for me.

Matt is a bastard PS3 case hoarder and Stotch still thinks he is the CAG champ.

Wrencrest.png

#3808 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

watching paint dry = thatgamecompany

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif           inFamous first light $1 Timeshare

rpg49ers.png1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif

#3809 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Artsy Fartsy.

I played flower a bit and thought "how fucking bored does someone have to be to enjoy this game(?)?" And even after all the praise heaped on Journey I knew not to bother trying it as I know it isnt a game for me. You two just triple confirmed it for me. Im sure its a well made game, but I know for a fact it aint for me.

I'm not saying Journey was a bad game, I liked it. It just wasn't a mindblowing, GOTY, I'll never look at video games the same way experience that people made it out to be.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3810 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I love these "My taste is better than everybody else's taste" discussions when people get on a high horse about ragging on games that others' liked/loved/enjoyed.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki