Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#3811 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thank god I downloaded Neon before it expired, it had
Spoiler

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#3812 huldrelok

huldrelok

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I've noticed most of my friends who grew up with great novels and comics are very much into adventure games, everything from grim Fandango to home to journey. Others who were not readers are less hc gamers only focusing on one genre, mostly fps. I find my love of character development and different strange world's always brings me back to those adventure games.

#3813 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

I love these "My taste is better than everybody else's taste" discussions when people get on a high horse about ragging on games that others' liked/loved/enjoyed.

Who said that? Regardless, if I didn't think my taste was better than everybody else's taste, I would follow somebody else's taste.

I've noticed most of my friends who grew up with great novels and comics are very much into adventure games, everything from grim Fandango to home to journey. Others who were not readers are less hc gamers only focusing on one genre, mostly fps. I find my love of character development and different strange world's always brings me back to those adventure games.

I read a lot as a kid and am a huge comic nerd and think adventure games are boring as Fuck.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3814 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Who said that? Regardless, if I didn't think my taste was better than everybody else's taste, I would follow somebody else's taste.

I didn't say you did, but I see choice quotes like "I played flower a bit and thought 'how fucking bored does someone have to be to enjoy this game(?)?'" and others around here that make dumb assumptions about who and why they enjoy certain games like there's a lot more to it than they just enjoyed the game.

It's cool if you like or don't like the games I enjoy, but don't make silly judgments about me for liking them.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#3815 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I didn't say you did, but I see choice quotes like "I played flower a bit and thought 'how fucking bored does someone have to be to enjoy this game(?)?'" and others around here that make dumb assumptions about who and why they enjoy certain games like there's a lot more to it than they just enjoyed the game.

It's cool if you like or don't like the games I enjoy, but don't make silly judgments about me for liking them.

If you're talking about me, then you're mistaken. Every game is going to be loved by somebody, but I think there is a segment (typically the most vocal) that supports these games to look better. I also think the community is set up to look down on people that don't "get" it. It's hard to explain, but typically we view art differently, yet so many people make the same broad statements that it makes me wonder how many really liked it.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#3816 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

If you're talking about me, then you're mistaken. Every game is going to be loved by somebody, but I think there is a segment (typically the most vocal) that supports these games to look better. I also think the community is set up to look down on people that don't "get" it. It's hard to explain, but typically we view art differently, yet so many people make the same broad statements that it makes me wonder how many really liked it.

I really don't believe that there's a segment of gaming hipsters out there. A lot of people bought and played that game and a lot of them really enjoyed it and have said so. Disagreeing with them doesn't mean they have to be lying or faking their enjoyment to trick you into playing it.

If you didn't enjoy it, just say so instead of talking about the people that "enjoyed" it.

#3817 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I really don't believe that there's a segment of gaming hipsters out there. A lot of people bought and played that game and a lot of them really enjoyed it and have said so. Disagreeing with them doesn't mean they have to be lying or faking their enjoyment to trick you into playing it.

If you didn't enjoy it, just say so instead of talking about the people that "enjoyed" it.

Clearly you've never been to N4G...

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#3818 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Clearly you've never been to N4G...

Why would I?

#3819 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

This is a good point, and one I'm really trying hard to make sure I do better on. If I don't enjoy a game, I'll try to make decent insights into the certain aspects of the game that make me dislike it. But I try to refrain from sentences like "Who on Earth could like this game?" as that's both an attack on the game AND on anyone who enjoyed the game. I also try to not use hyperbolic statements when describing my feelings towards a game. They can be funny (I did chuckle at the "Team Ico could print blank discs and get 9s and 10s) but they can still feel like an attack against both the player and the game. It can also be misinterpreted very easily.

Plus, I like tons of stupid stuff (UFC, Jersey Shore, Cartoons), and I don't want other people to attack me for that.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3820 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Ah Frisky, my bad, I forgot some people might take things too personally. I was being sarcastic. While I know sarcasm doesnt go over well in print, I tried to soften my comments a bit by stating that while I know I wont want to play Journey (since it isnt my cup of tea) its clear its a well made game due to the universal praise.

So get your panties out of a bunch and lets hug it out bitch! :)

EDIT: And please note the above comment is an Entourage reference, not meant to be inflamatory! Thank you
EDIT 2: And I cant spell either apparently.

Sucker born every minute

Wrencrest.png

#3821 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Ah Frisky, my bad, I forgot some people might take things too personally. I was being sarcastic. While I know sarcasm doesnt go over well in print, I tried to soften my comments a bit by stating that while I know I wont want to play Journey (since it isnt my cup of tea) its clear its a well made game due to the universal praise.

EDIT: And please note the above comment is an Entourage reference, not meant to be inflamatory! Thank you

I didn't take it personally. I pointed it out as an example of why that reoccurring discussion about games not meeting expectations because it's not about the game's quality, but the people that enjoyed/hated the game and I find it to be kind of petty to talk about them instead of the game itself.

#3822 Namerson

Namerson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Artsy Fartsy.

I played flower a bit and thought "how fucking bored does someone have to be to enjoy this game(?)?" And even after all the praise heaped on Journey I knew not to bother trying it as I know it isnt a game for me. You two just triple confirmed it for me. Im sure its a well made game, but I know for a fact it aint for me.

See, this here is the problem. How did Frisky take it personally when he added his own comment to the discussion? Also, why would you "soften the blow" if you were being sarcastic? So were you backing up your post or just being sarcastic? Maybe just a part of your post was sarcastic? People like to say "I was being sarcastic!" or "Just kidding!" or the classic "Don't take it so personally, it's the internet!" how can anyone have a conversation anymore when people just like to pull that card. If you were being sarcastic, why make the post at all? It doesn't add to the discussion.
3DS Friend Code: 1203 - 9542 - 1648 (Remember to PM if you add me!)

How not to review a video game: http://blogs.wsj.com...s-to-cross-ove/

I don't consider QTEs gameplay. This "game" is about as deep as the mini games on a disney DVD.

#3823 Slashlen

Slashlen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

You guys are all wrong. Chronovolt for the win.

#3824 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

If I could change the focus of the conversation a bit, I'd like to add that while I really appreciated that Journey tried to do something different and give players a unique social experience while playing, the game itself did very little for me. There wasn't much to do and I didn't find the actual gameplay at all interesting. I certainly admire the creativity of the game and thought it had an elegant, simplistic look, but this Game of the Year mantle that it has been bestowed with has me totally baffled. Do game journalists really think that was the best game made in 2012?

decker%2001.jpg

#3825 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

You guys are all wrong. Chronovolt for the win.

I don't like Chronovolt and therefore you are a bad person.
Actually, I just can't get into Chronovault. I find it hard for me to control. I don't know if its the games fault or mine but I have always sucked at fine & precise don't fall off the 3-D level kind of tasks.

I really like Dakuro though. Its nice to be stumped on a level and suddenly it all comes together in my mind and I'm proud of myself for figuring it out.

#3826 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

If I could change the focus of the conversation a bit, I'd like to add that while I really appreciated that Journey tried to do something different and give players a unique social experience while playing, the game itself did very little for me. There wasn't much to do and I didn't find the actual gameplay at all interesting. I certainly admire the creativity of the game and thought it had an elegant, simplistic look, but this Game of the Year mantle that it has been bestowed with has me totally baffled. Do game journalists really think that was the best game made in 2012?

No, as evidenced by the fact that a number of different games have won various Game of the Year awards across various sites.

#3827 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

No, as evidenced by the fact that a number of different games have won various Game of the Year awards across various sites.

I didn't say "Every Game Journalist in the United States", but it was picked as the #1 Game of 2012 by IGN, Joystiq and Entertainment Weekly at least.

decker%2001.jpg

#3828 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

this

#3829 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

I didn't say "Every Game Journalist in the United States", but it was picked as the #1 Game of 2012 by IGN, Joystiq and Entertainment Weekly at least.

You question phrased "game journalists" as a hive mind that picked Journey to be the universal Game of the Year even though it's been all over the place.

#3830 Snowglare

Snowglare

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

I don't know about Joystiq, but the other two know nothing about games. Their picks for GotY have as much relevance as their picks for Best New York Style Pizza.

Anyways, I enjoyed the Flower demo. It was fun, and that's what's important. Don't know if I'll ever pay for one of their games. From what I've heard, I'd probably enjoy them... for a couple hours. I prefer more length and replayability from games than Journey et al seem to offer.

#3831 jwk94

jwk94

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Hey guys, I pre-ordered Sly 4 for $47.99 last year....is there something I can do about this? The MSRP is now $39.99

#3832 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hey guys, I pre-ordered Sly 4 for $47.99 last year....is there something I can do about this? The MSRP is now $39.99

You could cancel your pre-order. You could call the company you pre-ordered the game from after the price drops on their website. You could wait until the game is ready to ship to see if the price drops. You could explain why you asked that question in the PSN Weekly Deals thread.

decker%2001.jpg

#3833 jwk94

jwk94

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

You could cancel your pre-order. You could call the company you pre-ordered the game from after the price drops on their website. You could wait until the game is ready to ship to see if the price drops. You could explain why you asked that question in the PSN Weekly Deals thread.

People on here like to have attitudes. I asked because this is it's either I stay with the disc or just get it on PSN.

#3834 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

I would expect them to automatically adjust it. But, I'd contact them to be sure.

You can take that extra $8, add $2 to it, and get a $10 PSN card from Best Buy!:D

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#3835 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Man, Journey's trophies and collectibles are annoying to get. Granted, that's not a complaint against the game itself since it's up to me whether I want to get them or not, but still.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3836 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

People on here like to have attitudes. I asked because this is it's either I stay with the disc or just get it on PSN.

Yeah but you could have just asked on the thread you bought it from. If you got it from Newegg, the price should adjust with the discount.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#3837 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Why would I?

I thought you wrote for a site, so I assumed you have been there. Anyway, now that I am not on my phone, I guess I will explain this in a little more detail.

My point is that a several communities make it hard to have a different opinion, so you start to see "universal" praise for some games. Like lets look at Dark / Demon Souls, since more probably played them.

I read a review on N4G back when Dark Souls released, which gave the game a 4/10. This resulted in many people posting "issues" they had with the review, but they were mostly "this guy complains about accessibility, but that's sort of the point of Dark Souls... you got to figure it out" and others were "This guy must suck, since Dark Souls is easy once you get use to it". While we can debate about how accurate these points are, the simple fact is that many people made it ABUNDANTLY clear that you're not allowed to have a negative opinion of the game. No one posted an actual flaw with the review and a few comments actually defended the review as it was their "opinion".

This appears whenever a "misunderstood" gem gets an "incorrect" review score or comment, since some people want to make everyone conform to their opinions of good / bad. I've also seen No More Heroes fans claim that the world isn't empty, it's just that the world is a metaphor for how empty Travis's life is and many others. So I do think some people claim to like games to fit in and I think people that don't like them keep their opinions to their self to save face / not deal with it. Either or, I am not saying it's impossible to like the game or that the games can't be enjoyed, I just think these 2 things work together to make the games seem "amazing".

You question phrased "game journalists" as a hive mind that picked Journey to be the universal Game of the Year even though it's been all over the place.

Maybe you should take a step back from this conversation? A lot of sites wrote posts like "Why Journey is my GOTY" or "Journey should be the PlayStation GOTY" and other such things. Obviously not every site is going to agree, like we at JPS didn't even think of Journey when we selected our GOTY winners. I am not even sure if we listed the game as a nomination, but anyway... I think we all knew what they meant, so there is no need to say anything.

#3838 jwk94

jwk94

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I would expect them to automatically adjust it. But, I'd contact them to be sure.

You can take that extra $8, add $2 to it, and get a $10 PSN card from Best Buy!:D

Since when does BB sell $10 cards??

Yeah but you could have just asked on the thread you bought it from. If you got it from Newegg, the price should adjust with the discount.

and bump a thread that's months old?

#3839 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

To be fair, Dark Souls is amazing and anyone who says anything differently is wrong.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3840 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

No Blogcast today?

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts