Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#3871 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Even worse! I'm guessing Hastings version is the cartridge and case version as opposed to digital download.

So you are saying $26.99 for a digital version is better than $9.99 for a physical version that you can sell/loan/trade when you're done with it? If you are comparing to a $0.99 PS3 version, I understand, but if comparing Vita versions, I don't see how digital is better unless you just hate swapping cartridges. Personally, the convenience of download is not worth $17.

#3872 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Plus $14.99 for shipping

I know you are joking, but after tax and shipping, Hastings is still half the price of PSN.

#3873 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

except they're out of stock.

#3874 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

ouch $30(22.50/nevermind!) for the skyrim dlc is still crazy expensive. I guess its not near as bad as 60, and I guess they are supposed to be spread out like they were on 360 like map packs instead of this data dump we got. So I know im gonna get dawnguard, cuz i dig the vampires and werewolves. I will probly get Dragonborn cuz it seems awesome as well. But can anyone recommend Hearthfire for $10? iv heard its pretty bad and just lets you buy land/build houses/adopt kids. thanks all! hey scratch that, hearthfire was only $5? well, i def want a house and some land and some kids for 2.50, lol...

also anyone think mass effect will get a sale hopefully? $15 is so high compared to what mass effect 2/3 are, but i know it is essentially the 'newest' one. I havent even played mass effect 2/3 yet, should I play 1 or just skip it? also did they get it to work with 2/3 that your choices continue, or not? mass effect 3 leviathan dlc costs the same and that got dlc of the year by gameinformer(altho i didnt hear anyone say anything else bout it)

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#3875 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

What's up with the pricing for Dungeon Hunter Vita when the PS3 version was on sale for .99 cents?!? I know it might be a reach to be comparing the PSN pricing with iOS or Google Play pricing but Vita owners are taking it hard on this one with a $25 price gap for the same game on the same network. Gameloft FTL.

This price difference comes from the publisher. Gameloft developed and published the PS3 version. Ubisoft is the publisher of the PS Vita version.

#3876 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

So you are saying $26.99 for a digital version is better than $9.99 for a physical version that you can sell/loan/trade when you're done with it? If you are comparing to a $0.99 PS3 version, I understand, but if comparing Vita versions, I don't see how digital is better unless you just hate swapping cartridges. Personally, the convenience of download is not worth $17.

No, I was trying to say that a large price discrepancy between digital and physical media is even worse. Physical media always trumps digital media until/unless that rumor about PS4 not allowing used games comes to fruition since you can resell to extract some value back out of physical products.
Posted Image

#3877 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

What's up with the pricing for Dungeon Hunter Vita when the PS3 version was on sale for .99 cents?!? I know it might be a reach to be comparing the PSN pricing with iOS or Google Play pricing but Vita owners are taking it hard on this one with a $25 price gap for the same game on the same network. Gameloft FTL.

The only difference i see Vita has more trophies and a Posted Image.

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance 19
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance (Vita) 56

Originally Posted by FriskyTanuki Posted Image
Deals
Big Sale with PS+ Discounts Of Up to 75% Off

I hope Star Wars: The Force Unleashed dlc is discount for $2.50ea:drool:. Missed the deal in 2011.

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif          

rpg49ers.png1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif

#3878 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

This price difference comes from the publisher. Gameloft developed and published the PS3 version. Ubisoft is the publisher of the PS Vita version.

Thanks for the correction. I'm sure Sony has their fingers stained from that greedy little pie too of course.

@rpg

That's one expensive Posted Image
Posted Image

#3879 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

No, I was trying to say that a large price discrepancy between digital and physical media is even worse. Physical media always trumps digital media until/unless that rumor about PS4 not allowing used games comes to fruition since you can resell to extract some value back out of physical products.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your comment. Apparently we are in complete agreement.

I will say that some services like Steam are starting to show that people are willing to buy digital media if it is priced right. I have no problem with digital media if it is priced according to the drawbacks it comes with. Sadly, there is probably a lot of ignorance (or even preference) in enough consumers that are paying full price to download the same media that can be had on disc that publishers won't change pricing methods until they lose those cash cows.

#3880 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the correction. I'm sure Sony has their fingers stained from that greedy little pie too of course.

@rpg

That's one expensive Posted Image

Given many of the comments here and in other forums, there are probably a lot of people who would happily pay cash for platinum trophies (or any trophies for the matter).

#3881 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sorry, I misinterpreted your comment. Apparently we are in complete agreement.

I will say that some services like Steam are starting to show that people are willing to buy digital media if it is priced right. I have no problem with digital media if it is priced according to the drawbacks it comes with. Sadly, there is probably a lot of ignorance (or even preference) in enough consumers that are paying full price to download the same media that can be had on disc that publishers won't change pricing methods until they lose those cash cows.

I think PSN's monthly top sellers list shows that people are willing to buy digital media, regardless of price.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3882 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think PSN's monthly top sellers list shows that people are willing to buy digital media, regardless of price.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but you need sales volume numbers to determine that rather than popularity.
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#3883 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Man, Fuck these Death Mode levels. I'm having such a hard time with the Event Horizon levels.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#3884 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Man, Fuck these Death Mode levels. I'm having such a hard time with the Event Horizon levels.

Event Horizon #2 was the 2nd to last one I finished. The beat was actually part of the challenge on that one, because the laser comes right after the big drum (or whatever) sound, rather than coming right during it. Time and again I would jump to avoid the "beat", just to land right on the fucking laser.

Event Horizon #1 wasn't too bad for me. It's one you do need luck on. Learn how to make safe but quick jumps, and eventually you'll get it once the notes line up for you.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3885 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'v heard both rumors, of ps4 not allowing psn games or used ps3 games. lol. ill just stick to ps3 for a few years out anyway, so ill be working on my backlog.

also im hoping this skyrim dlc from bethesda is alot better than the glitch bug fest iv heard is fo3 fonv's dlc packs.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#3886 ponn01

ponn01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I'v heard both rumors, of ps4 not allowing psn games or used ps3 games. lol. ill just stick to ps3 for a few years out anyway, so ill be working on my backlog.

Every opened and played PS3 game is used, how could it tell the difference? You're basically describing it's just plain not BC. As disappointing as non-disc BC would be I would at least expect PSN BC, like Vita - PSP. If thats not the case then PS4 and DD can just Fuck right off.

#3887 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Alice for ten bucks and I'll bite for sure.

#3888 Bumslie

Bumslie

Don't Shit Where You Eat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I bought Sound Shapes at launch and still struggle on the Death Mode levels. I seem to get a good set and then Fuck up somewhere. I know eventually I will pass them but they are very frustrating.

BumslieOG.png

#3889 The Furry Panda

The Furry Panda

Bravest Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hopefully Rainbow Moon and Okami discounts!

2nd...d

#3890 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Every opened and played PS3 game is used, how could it tell the difference?

If they do decide to use that technology then it'll focus on PS4 games. According to the patent it'd be able to tell via RFID.

#3891 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Gameloft is Ubisoft, as they're owned by one of the owners of Ubisoft, so there's not much of a difference. The thing I think is holding it up is that they're also retail games, which they're not going to drop as drastically as they would if they were just digital-only games.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#3892 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Every opened and played PS3 game is used, how could it tell the difference? You're basically describing it's just plain not BC. As disappointing as non-disc BC would be I would at least expect PSN BC, like Vita - PSP. If thats not the case then PS4 and DD can just Fuck right off.

They can, actually a good (and very miserable) example in this gen is the disc version of DC Universe Online, the game is tied to your Ps3 once you activate it in your console, remaining completely useless if you want to play it in other Ps3... resell/trade value $0.00.
Posted Image

#3893 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

They can, actually a good (and very miserable) example in this gen is the disc version of DC Universe Online, the game is tied to your Ps3 once you activate it in your console, remaining completely useless if you want to play it in other Ps3... resell/trade value $0.00.

That's usually how MMOs work on consoles. FFXI on the PS2 was the same way.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#3894 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

If they do decide to use that technology then it'll focus on PS4 games. According to the patent it'd be able to tell via RFID.

This is what I've heard... but I think they threw that plan out the window as soon as the general public got wind of it. The backlash was immediate and very vocal. First major problem is that people should be entitled to do what they want with their game purchase. It's an entitlement that is quickly losing ground. Another problem is that it requires always on DRM like Diablo 3 to make sure you're not playing a second hand game. Many parents don't like having their child's game system connected to the internet (for obvious reasons) or they have limited bandwidth.

It'll never happen. If it does it'll be the death of whatever company pushes it.

#3895 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Has anyone played the little king story they put out on Vita? I think I want it, but just wanted a basic idea of how it plays and if its worth the $40, or if there's sight of a sale sometime soon. I know it's a bit off topic but I figured I'd get an answer here, thanks!

#3896 ponn01

ponn01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Your example includes activation keys and forethought with a obvious MMO game, which was not put into other PS3 disc pressings. There would need to checks on the disc and unique identifiers. The used game block was being batted around for PS4 software but with the backlash they got just over the rumor I don't see them following through with that. Online passes will probably continue, and get worse.

PS3 disc and PSN BC is still an unknown. Still pretty sour on how it was handled with PS3/PS2 and basically being resold PS2 software I already bought. Now that I have a pretty large DD PSN library built up is going to be a huge factor if I will go PS4 or not. There should be no excuse with a DD library.

#3897 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

This is what I've heard... but I think they threw that plan out the window as soon as the general public got wind of it. The backlash was immediate and very vocal. First major problem is that people should be entitled to do what they want with their game purchase. It's an entitlement that is quickly losing ground. Another problem is that it requires always on DRM like Diablo 3 to make sure you're not playing a second hand game. Many parents don't like having their child's game system connected to the internet (for obvious reasons) or they have limited bandwidth.

It'll never happen. If it does it'll be the death of whatever company pushes it.

It seems like publishers are figuring out solutions to the used game issue with online passes and DLC. I would imagine we will only see that grow along with more incentive to purchase digital content versus retail products (such as more competitive pricing or content incentives). There is no way Sony, Microsoft, or anyone else will outright ban used games because of the negative press and goodwill, but they will effectively reach that goal in roundabout ways behind the scenes with these other methods.

I don't mind systems to ensure publishers are profitable as long as it is fair to the consumer. I want companies that make good games continue to exist to make more good games, so I, as a consumer, am willing to be flexible - as long as they keep it reasonable.

#3898 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Has anyone played the little king story they put out on Vita? I think I want it, but just wanted a basic idea of how it plays and if its worth the $40, or if there's sight of a sale sometime soon. I know it's a bit off topic but I figured I'd get an answer here, thanks!

I got it and it's quite similar to Army Corps of Hell, Pikmin and games of the like. Basically you recruit people in the town, which you can assign certain jobs. After you got a team, you can explore the world (certain classes can open new paths), fight monsters or just progress in the story.

Little King Story is an updated port of a Wii game, so it's not the longest / most complex / advance game in the world. Also the game suffered from frame rate issues when you have a lot of peons with you, plus certain areas are more problematic with a big group than others. I would call it a buy at 15, consider at 30 and ask yourself how much you like the genre at $40.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#3899 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

That's usually how MMOs work on consoles. FFXI on the PS2 was the same way.

Once you activate FFXI. You can play it in any system with it installed. Just log in your Playonline ID and off you go to Vanadiel.

#3900 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

It seems like publishers are figuring out solutions to the used game issue with online passes and DLC. I would imagine we will only see that grow along with more incentive to purchase digital content versus retail products (such as more competitive pricing or content incentives). There is no way Sony, Microsoft, or anyone else will outright ban used games because of the negative press and goodwill, but they will effectively reach that goal in roundabout ways behind the scenes with these other methods.

I don't mind systems to ensure publishers are profitable as long as it is fair to the consumer. I want companies that make good games continue to exist to make more good games, so I, as a consumer, am willing to be flexible - as long as they keep it reasonable.

There's no reason Sony, Microsoft, etc would need to do this. It only limits their customer base. Sony doesn't care how many units of game X was sold. They only care how many people were playing that game on the PS3. AND if MS says used games are fine but Sony doesn't then you can bet more people will play that game on a MS system than a Sony one. I foresee more publishers following EA's example and putting online passes on games (and EA putting registration passes just to activate their games). It will continue until the gamers say enough is enough. Hurt their pocket book with enough lost sales and they'll stop treating their customers like thieves.