Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#4921 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

I'm a big fan of Honk Kong too. :)

I think Honk Kong is a place in Donkey Kong Country right?!

:oops:

I fixed it, my bad.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#4922 TopsideKracker

TopsideKracker

...doomy doomy doomy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

It gave me a Yakuza vibe when I rented it, but I only played it for 2-3 hours. Would definitely like to pick it up someday.

#4923 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

sleeping dogs is good but lets not go nuts

A lot of people loooove Sleeping Dogs.

#4924 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

A lot of people loooove Sleeping Dogs.

I just hope that Rockstar was taking notes. I really don't want GTAV to be a more expansive version of 4. I love a good sandbox romp but I really don't have the patience to play a 12 year old game with a new paint job. I WANT GTAV to be my Sandbox game of this generation but I'm almost positive it won't be.

#4925 breakfuss

breakfuss

PRAISE Polygod ❤

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

sleeping dogs is good but lets not go nuts

lol, perhaps calling it brilliant is a bit much, but it was fun. Certainly the best open world* I've played this gen. I couldn't even finish GTAIV. Infamous bores me to death. SR3 was good, but Sleeping Dogs has it beat on the narrative front. Haven't played Yazuka. What game from the genre bested Sleeping Dogs?

*sorry if i'm mixing open world and sandbox. i can never figure out which is which.

#4926 JMusic

JMusic

音楽人

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

lol, perhaps calling it brilliant is a bit much, but it was fun. Certainly the best open world* I've played this gen. I couldn't even finish GTAIV. Infamous bores me to death. SR3 was good, but Sleeping Dogs has it beat on the narrative front. Haven't played Yazuka. What game from the genre bested Sleeping Dogs?

*sorry if i'm mixing open world and sandbox. i can never figure out which is which.

I think they are used interchangeably enough that any difference is irrelevant.

I tried the demo of Sleeping Dogs, and will probably end up getting it as I love open world games, but just from the demo I was pretty sure it wouldn't be at the top of the list.

With that said, so you know I may have to change my mind later when I actually play the game for real, I'm going to toss out Skyrim and Fallout 3 as better open world games. And Saints Row 3 may be the most guilty pleasure fun you can have on a console this generation (if it isn't "high art" make sure it's the highest quality "low brow").

#4927 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

For me, Open World games are story-focused and typically limit the map until you've reached certain parts of the game, which includes Assassin's Creed, GTA, Sleeping Dogs, Infamous, and others. Sandbox games typically give you the whole map, focus less on story and missions, and are more about exploration with lots of collectibles and such to do outside of any story, which includes Just Cause 2, Crackdown, Burnout Paradise, and some others.

I'd say I'm much more of a sandbox fan as those three that I listed are three of my favorites of this generation.

#4928 Slade

Slade

Coordinated Insanity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Sleeping dogs is one of those games I'll add to my collection when it goes on for sale for like $10. I quite enjoyed it but I don't see myself playing it again after beating it once.

Also, having tried the PC port, I can say the PC version is done very well (after patches) and looks absolutely gorgeous if you have the power to play it at max specs which isn't too hard to do.

Fighting game enthusiast (BatousaiJ) and Editor at ZTGD

#4929 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Sleeping dogs is one of those games I'll add to my collection when it goes on for sale for like $10. I quite enjoyed it but I don't see myself playing it again after beating it once.

Also, having tried the PC port, I can say the PC version is done very well (after patches) and looks absolutely gorgeous if you have the power to play it at max specs which isn't too hard to do.

I enjoyed the demo enough that I would be willing to buy it at $20-$40 price point. Of course, it would have to include all of the DLC on disc.

#4930 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Red Dead Redemption is one that often comes up as being the best open world games in recent memory. You might not like it, though, if you couldn't get through GTA4.

#4931 wrencrest

wrencrest

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

For me, Open World games are story-focused and typically limit the map until you've reached certain parts of the game, which includes Assassin's Creed, GTA, Sleeping Dogs, Infamous, and others. Sandbox games typically give you the whole map, focus less on story and missions, and are more about exploration with lots of collectibles and such to do outside of any story, which includes Just Cause 2, Crackdown, Burnout Paradise, and some others.

I'd say I'm much more of a sandbox fan as those three that I listed are three of my favorites of this generation.

I never really thought of the two genres as being different. To me they were pretty much the same genre. You enlightened me to this. Thanks. And I actually agree with those sandbox games as being some of the best this generation. Though I would also say of the ones I played I also think the open world games are also some of my favorite this gen. So I like both genres pretty equally.

Sucker born every minute

Wrencrest.png

#4932 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Red Dead Redemption is one that often comes up as being the best open world games in recent memory. You might not like it, though, if you couldn't get through GTA4.

Eh, it was alright, the only thing which absolutely INFURIATED me about the game is how touchy the L2 function of aiming your gun was. Any degree of holding down L2 raised your gun so that you could aim manually, but ANY degree of releasing pressure on L2 (not releasing the button itself) would cause him to lower his gun. SO MANY TIMES I had a shot lined up, and then I let the L2 button raise up a millimeter or two by accident (while still having pressure on the button) and I lose the shot because it drops the aim. It doesn't matter if you start at lightly holding down the button or holding it all the way down, let it up just a little bit and Marston drops his aim.

Guardian_owl.png

#4933 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Yakuza and Saints Row are my favorite sandbox games for me.

Sleeping Dogs was fun for me as well. The best thing I liked about that game is that it gave off the 90s HK Mafia flick vibe like Young and Dangerous.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#4934 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

No Playstation Blogcast yet? Curious to see whats coming next week.

#4935 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

This is a really good definition. I hadn't thought about it too much until your comment, but I guess I prefer open world to sandbox. Although I like sandbox games, I feel overwhelmed by the choices, opportunities, etc. and end up accomplishing little and feeling lost. Also, the narrative of a sandbox game seems a little too vague and floaty. I need a little more guidance and direction from the game.

That being said, a sandbox game is great to just turn on an jump in wherever and whenever without feeling like you need to be up on the story or have your goals and plans lined up in a meaningful way.

#4936 Monkeydrummer

Monkeydrummer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

http://www.giantbomb...sandbox/92-453/

#4937 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

http://www.giantbomb...sandbox/92-453/

The mention of GTA and Assassin's Creed doesn't really fit the description since both series locks you out of parts of the map until you progress far enough into the story. Though the 2D GTAs may have been more of a sandbox game along with the original Assassin's Creed.

#4938 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Downloaded Ninja Gaiden. My poor 4gb card is struggling to keep up with my PS+ habits.

I couldn't really understand this part of the FAQs, but if I download something that's free from PS+ and delete it, can I redownload the game at a later date even if the game isn't offered as free at the time?

#4939 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Yes.

#4940 Boosted

Boosted

Trophy Huntin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Yes, as long as you have it in your purchase history and are still a playstation plus member then you could re-download it anytime you wish

#4941 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thanks, Frisky. I can let go of Jet Set Radio for now then.

#4942 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Just make sure you upload your save to cloud before deleting the game to make room so you don't lose it.

Edit: Bethesda's announced release dates for the Skyrim DLC, which is coming in reverse order:

Dragonborn confirmed for 2/12 release in N. America.
Hearthfire on 2/19.
Dawnguard on 2/26.

#4943 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

http://30joursplaystationplus.com/

You can get a 1 month EU PS+ code for free, which doesn't require a CC. The only catch is that it won't work if your EU account has had PS+ in the past, like the free month with the Welcome Back program in 2011. Just create a new EU account to get it to work.

If you don't use Chrome, the things it wants are, in order, First Name, Last Name, Email, Date of Birth, Postal Code, and you don't need to enter a phone number. It then asks if you have kids and what consoles you have with two last legal checkboxes to check about understanding PS+ TOS and signing up for promotional emails.

The code expires on March 1, 2013 if you want to hold onto it for a bit.

Edit: I'll add that for those that have US PS+ and want to check out the unique stuff that they have, this is what you can check out right now (removing Vita since most of you won't go through the hassle to switch accounts):

Cubixx HD - 163 MB
Guardians of Middle Earth - 1.2 GB
Limbo - 94 MB
Mortal Kombat - 9 GB - Via Search
MotorStorm Apocalypse - 6.6 GB
Pinball Arcade - 343.5 MB - Cross Buy
Vanquish - 11.7 GB

Cubixx HD is leaving next Wednesday and Pinball Arcade is leaving on 2/20 with Sleeping Dogs and F1 Race Stars being added next Wednesday.

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 01 February 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#4944 Strange

Strange

Little Blimp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Dammit when did Mortal Kombat (PS3) leave the EU Plus line-up. :(

#4945 rpg

rpg

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

i see it on the lineup lol

http://uk.playstatio...=gamecollection

davey.gifGS Selling LBP2 DC Comics dlc $2-R,Blacklist $5 - P - Amazing Spider-Man PM me insane.gif

rpg49ers.pngcolbert+excited.gif

sniper.gifPlaying: Blackgate Ps3 (2/4 playthroughs)

#4946 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

According to the EU PSN blog, the Vita version left on Jan 16, but it doesn't mention the PS3 version leaving, unless you are in Australia or Germany, which wasn't allowed to get it for some reason, probably a violence restriction in those countries.

Here's what the EU blog says:

Leaving the Plus Service in February:
6th February: BioShock 2
6th February: Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
6th February: Cubixx HD
13th February: Jet Set Radio
20th February: Pinball Arcade

Leaving PS Plus:

2nd January – Batman: Arkham City
2nd January – Bulletstorm
2nd January – Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
16th January – Mortal Kombat (PS Vita)
23rd January – Knytt Underground

Joining PS Plus:

2nd January – Bioshock 2
2nd January – Guardians of Middle Earth
2nd January – Mortal Kombat – excluding Australia and Germany
2nd January – Gotham City Imposters – Australia and Germany only
16th January – Jet Set Radio (PS Vita)
23rd January – Pinball Arcade (PS Vita)
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#4947 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Owns Every Hamster Game* on PSN

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

http://30joursplaystationplus.com/

You can get a 1 month EU PS+ code for free, which doesn't require a CC. The only catch is that it won't work if your EU account has had PS+ in the past, like the free month with the Welcome Back program in 2011. Just create a new EU account to get it to work.

If you don't use Chrome, the things it wants are, in order, First Name, Last Name, Email, Date of Birth, Postal Code, and you don't need to enter a phone number. It then asks if you have kids and what consoles you have with two last legal checkboxes to check about understanding PS+ TOS and signing up for promotional emails.

The code expires on March 1, 2013 if you want to hold onto it for a bit.

Edit: I'll add that for those that have US PS+ and want to check out the unique stuff that they have, this is what you can check out right now (removing Vita since most of you won't go through the hassle to switch accounts):

Cubixx HD - 163 MB
Guardians of Middle Earth - 1.2 GB
Limbo - 94 MB
MotorStorm Apocalypse - 6.6 GB
Pinball Arcade - 343.5 MB - Cross Buy
Vanquish - 11.7 GB

Cubixx HD is leaving next Wednesday and Pinball Arcade is leaving on 2/20 with Sleeping Dogs and F1 Race Stars being added next Wednesday.

I did this the other day and it sent me an email with no code. I figured it was dead, maybe I'll try again with a different email address.

EDIT: Oh nice, it worked this time! Thanks Frisky.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#4948 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

The Vita version is listed in the IGC section despite not showing up as free, but not the PS3 version. Searching for the PS3 version brings it up and it's free. I'll add it to the list.

#4949 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

No PS Blogcast this week. We're going into next week's update blind.

#4950 Strange

Strange

Little Blimp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

i see it on the lineup lol

http://uk.playstatio...=gamecollection

According to the EU PSN blog, the Vita version left on Jan 16, but it doesn't mention the PS3 version leaving.

Mortal Kombat - 9 GB - Via Search

Thanks everyone! I didn't see it on the Instant Game Collection part of the store, and Frisky didn't mention it at 1st so I thought it was gone.