Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#5551 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Will buy Xenogears, once that go on sale... both FF7 and Xenogear is easily the best RPG on PS

Easily the most over rated ps1 rpgs. I like FFVII, but it is indeed over rated. Play Star Ocean 2...it'll put some hair on your chest

And as far as the talk about FFVIII goes, idk how people can claim to like that game when the story is a mess.

http://squallsdead.com/

and lol at the user who likes it cause "the characters are tall and look real" lmao

#5552 johnoralex

johnoralex

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I realize that this is cheapassgamer, but if you like jrpgs for the price of these games 4 6 7 8 and 9 are all worth it. Tactics is great too even though war of the lions is a much improved port. Back in the day I logged about 80 to 100 hours on tactics 4 6 7 8 9 each, heck I blew 180 hours on 10 catching all of the monsters for the training arena and maxing everyones sphere grids (10 tangent aside) I would say they all have something in them that makes their purchase worth it, but to each his own.

#5553 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'd just like to point out that JCrichton keeps typing FFXIII (13) instead of FFVIII (8), some people are responding to him about his points as they relate to VIII because they are following the context of the conversation, while others (like affa) are chiming in and posting about XIII - to which JCrichton is still responding (at length!) as though they are writing about VIII.

Anyway, carry on.

bless you for clearing that up, I was getting awfully confused by this recent thread. Am I the only one that didn't use the summons in FF13 (or whatever they were called) for the entire game? They didn't seem to have as much value as the regular battle system, but maybe I missed the point.

#5554 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

bless you for clearing that up, I was getting awfully confused by this recent thread. Am I the only one that didn't use the summons in FF13 (or whatever they were called) for the entire game? They didn't seem to have as much value as the regular battle system, but maybe I missed the point.

Never used them unless the game forced you to use them as a plot device (I don't remember). Not sure why they were even required. I took down the final boss in FF13 in less than 4 minutes with my normal squad.

#5555 WRXKayaker

WRXKayaker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

I don't recall using them very much either. The only one I even remember using is Vanille's...for obvious reasons. I love the paradigm shift and stagger systems in FF13/13-2. It added a lot more strategy to the fights rather than just pounding away at the enemy and healing/buffing when needed like the earlier games.

Currently Playing:   :pc: Batman: Arkham Origins     :ps3: Far Cry 3

Recently Completed:    :pc: Bioshock Infinite   :ps3: GTA V

Steam Profile

#5556 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, I only used them a few times. lol, the fucking animation/sequence before any damage was dealt got old really fast.

#5557 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I'll be streaming some Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time for the next hour or so if you want to check it out.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#5558 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

sly copper 4

Frisky are u getting any frame rate issues on ch 3
Spoiler
?

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif           inFamous first light $1 Timeshare

rpg49ers.png1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif

#5559 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm still in the first area.

#5560 batman1939

batman1939

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

What I really hated was that you couldn't skip the GF attack animations.

I could swear that you could skip the animation if you hit select button when it started.

#5561 UnlockPotential

UnlockPotential

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

:D Redownloaded all the SquareSoft games I played for hundreds of hours in the 90s.. o_o but then sold on eBay due to financial hardships since the black label versions were all selling high.. Now to figure out how to transfer my PSP save files to the Vita.. :bouncy:

#5562 marjincharge

marjincharge

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

So not having owned any of the final fantasy games besides the last two to come out and ffv, I decided to get origins, tactics, 6, 7, 8, and 9! Had a free $50 psn giftcard. As soon as I'm through with Fallout 3, gonna take a long journey into the final fantasy world :) I would have gotten 4 and tactics: war of the lions instead of tactics but I don't have a psp or vita.

#5563 LawLessChaoz

LawLessChaoz

Threatened

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Is Ni No Kuni sold at Target?

Target.com says it isn't. Their website is wrong often.
Posted Image

#5564 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I'd just like to point out that JCrichton keeps typing FFXIII (13) instead of FFVIII (8), some people are responding to him about his points as they relate to VIII because they are following the context of the conversation, while others (like affa) are chiming in and posting about XIII - to which JCrichton is still responding (at length!) as though they are writing about VIII.

Anyway, carry on.

yep, that explains it. i'm typing and talking about ff13. he's typing ff13 and talking about ff8. oh well.

they are actually quite useful in specific circumstances against some enemies. For example, they will knock over Adamantoise which makes them far easier to kill/farm.

And in general, they're a solid 'hail mary' option if a fight goes sour, though if you're an excellent player and/or overpowered this won't happen as often.

Summons get pretty powerful over time - but you certainly don't need to use them in most battles.

#5565 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Never used them unless the game forced you to use them as a plot device (I don't remember). Not sure why they were even required. I took down the final boss in FF13 in less than 4 minutes with my normal squad.

Yep, they were pretty useless if you knew what you were doing (and after a 30 hour tutorial, who didn't!) Such an odd, odd game and direction for the series. S-E isn't doing itself any favors by getting people to relive their memories of the old games via sales like this one and then putting out games like FF13 and 14.

And I enjoyed 13 for what it was, but that's a game that got by 90% because of it's brand name. If it had been a new IP from Square-Enix, I think it would have fared even worse than it did.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#5566 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Never played a Final Fantasy, and I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs, but I've got $5 sitting in my PSN wallet, so I thought I might pick one up. Which would be most easy to get into for an JRPG n00b?

#5567 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

And I enjoyed 13 for what it was, but that's a game that got by 90% because of it's brand name. If it had been a new IP from Square-Enix, I think it would have fared even worse than it did.

it's actually the first ff i straight up loved besides tactics. BUT... and this is key, i did absolutely hate the pacing. using an entire 'stage' (for lack of a better word) to introduce each new feature to the paradigm system when there were so many things to introduce was a terrible, terrible mistake. but once it opened up, it just dwarfs every other battle system.

i also don't count story into my grading whatsoever, because even though it was nonsensical, i don't care about story in my rpgs, just combat. (with the rare exception of like 3 jrpgs i can think of that actually stole my heart in a good way).

#5568 NonShalant

NonShalant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Never played a Final Fantasy, and I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs, but I've got $5 sitting in my PSN wallet, so I thought I might pick one up. Which would be most easy to get into for an JRPG n00b?

FF7, that's my first Jrpg. Loved RPGs ever since. Wanna rebuy the whole collection really
It's not what u do, but how it's done

#5569 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'd say FFVII is probably the most approachable, and definitely not a bad starting point (being the first game that exposed a very large number of gamers to the series when it first came out). If you want something more retro then FFIV (if you have a PSP/Vita) and VI are both very solid choices; if you consider what storytelling looked like in gaming at the time of their respective releases ('91 and '94) they're both really incredible. I'd stay away from VIII and IX for the time being; VIII is probably the most divisive Final Fantasy aside from XIII, and IX is much better if you're familiar with the series. You could come to it "blind," but it would lessen the experience a bit and might leave it feeling a little arbitrary.

TheSporkWithin.png
Trade List 3DS Friend Code: 0731-4785-9484

#5570 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

To end the stream, I played a bit of Bentley's Hackpack, which is a really cool little game. It features a bunch of new levels for each of the three main hacking games that are in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time with five challenge medals to earn in each level. Your total medal count helps you unlock a number of things in the reward shop that were mostly just little figurines of things from the Sly Cooper games, though there are some levels that are locked up as rewards and there's a separate special game to unlock. These don't seem to have any of the levels that I saw in the first instance of each game in Thieves in Time and I don't see any sort of tie-in with the big game as far as save unlocks are concerned. I also don't see Cross Save support, so it looks like you'll have to play the game twice to get all of the trophies on PS3 and Vita.

I'm uploading that portion of the stream to Youtube, so I'll post the link when it's done.

Edit: It looks like Bentley's Hackpack has a shared trophy list, so there's only one trophy list for both versions.

Edit 2: Bentley's Hackpack video is now live:

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 09 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#5571 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Question. Do saves for PS1 classics transfer from Vita to PS3? If I use content manager to upload my FFVII save, can I download on PS3 and continue? Not at either system presently to check.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check me out on Twitch!

I entered her with almost no resistance. 

#5572 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Question. Do saves for PS1 classics transfer from Vita to PS3? If I use content manager to upload my FFVII save, can I download on PS3 and continue? Not at either system presently to check.

Yes. I've been flipping my Xenogears save back and forth.

TheSporkWithin.png

#5573 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Final Fantasy V and VI are normally only a dollar more, right?

Yes. I've been flipping my Xenogears save back and forth.

I've been doing the same with FFIX. Love that feature.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5574 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

The FF sale is 50% off, so no.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#5575 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Final Fantasy V and VI are normally only a dollar more, right?

Pretty sure they're $9.99; most of Square's PSOne games are priced there.

TheSporkWithin.png

#5576 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hey wait, there's a FF3 game available on PSN, right?
A PSP version remade, I think.
Why isn't that on sale?

#5577 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Add me to the legion of CAGs putting in a good word for Critter Crunch. Great game and even better for $1.

I really hated Tetra Master. Triple Triad was so simple and fun but if we are talking about mini/side games, Blitzball was the best. I didn't like X that much but I played the shit out of Blitzball.

Me, too! I played the shit out of Blitzball and didn't even play all the way to the end of X. X was the first FF I played for more than a few hours until I beat XIII, too (I had a roommate in college who played the shit out of VII and I felt like I had played it for hours without even having done so as a result). Of course, this puts me in the rare (and awesome) position to play through all of the originals and enjoy them as a noob.

As such, I picked up I+II, III, IV, VI, VII, VIII, IX, [duodecim] and the prologue in this week's sale. I already have FFT: War of the Lions from being a Plus member.

I'm making myself get through Growlanser before I start them, though.
Check out my MMA editorials at Fightmania, or my gaming blog.

#5578 KrebStar

KrebStar

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Add me as well, Critter Crunch is awesome.

I have it on an old gameshare account, but I will gladly add it to my own account for a dollar.

#5579 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

You know, I'll chime in. Critter Crunch is really good and it makes me chuckle on some of the facts presented.

Plus you get to throw up rainbows. But man, does it get hard.

#5580 AkariK

AkariK

マスタースパーク

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

R&C FFA question. Do I need to buy a new copy of the game to qualify for free Vita version + Deadlocked when it comes out, or would a used one be ok?