Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#631 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Remember 2009? That was cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I know it's not the best place for this, but has anyone seen this new Vita bundle?

- 3G Vita
- 1 Year PS Plus
- Unit 13 Game Voucher
- 4GB Memory Card

$299.99

The big focus here is that with the year of Plus, you can get so many games! But...they only give you a 4GB card. How did anyone at the Sony offices think this was a good move? With a 4GB card, you can have at most one of those games at a time. Terrible terrible decision in my eyes.

I think Sony is really raking in the dough on the memory cards. I mean, there has to be about a 90% markup on those 32GB cards. It's probably a smart business move to barely see any profit on this bundle, knowing they'll probably see an extra $40-$70 profit for each one of these that sells when the buyer breaks down and buys a memory card.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#632 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I think Sony is really raking in the dough on the memory cards. I mean, there has to be about a 90% markup on those 32GB cards. It's probably a smart business move to barely see any profit on this bundle, knowing they'll probably see an extra $40-$70 profit for each one of these that sells when the buyer breaks down and buys a memory card.

32GB microSDHC cards routinely show up for $20 on-sale, so if retailers can sell a card like that at that price, I can't think assembly costs are more than $10 for 32GB of flash memory.

Maybe not a 90% markup at places selling them for $80, though it's still a huge markup on assembly costs even at $20 for the item.

#633 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

I know it's not the best place for this, but has anyone seen this new Vita bundle?

- 3G Vita
- 1 Year PS Plus
- Unit 13 Game Voucher
- 4GB Memory Card

$299.99

The big focus here is that with the year of Plus, you can get so many games! But...they only give you a 4GB card. How did anyone at the Sony offices think this was a good move? With a 4GB card, you can have at most one of those games at a time. Terrible terrible decision in my eyes.

Oh it's the 3G Bundle, than if you're in the market for one that is a nice deal. 1 year of Plus alone is $49.99.

Posted Image

#634 FlyingMonkey9

FlyingMonkey9

Genetically Modified CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

If Sony is smart, December update will be biggest yet for PS+

They should want ppl to be buying year lond PS+ cards for holidays. The vita instant game collection was a great start I must say.

Time for Motorstorm apocalypse for ps3 please!

#635 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I don't know how long they plan to run this bundle (the PS+ and Vita) but the box art has the games already available as part of the instant collection listed. So, I'd assume these games are going to be around for quite awhile.

#636 captaintek3304

captaintek3304

You can't slim down bone, stupid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

My point, along the same thinking with everyone else is that these memory cards are horribly over-priced. They get a ton of criticism for how they've handled the Vita so far, and then they continue to do things like this. I love Sony, my PS3, and my Vita to death, but to me it seems like they're the only of the 3 major companies that refuses to adapt to what consumers want.

ProfessorStotch.png

Check out Captain's Crap Filled Store

Recently added:

- Witch and the Hundred Knight: $25 shipped! (Available until 4/24/14)

#637 breakfuss

breakfuss

PRAISE Polygod ❤

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

- 3G Vita
- 1 Year PS Plus
- Unit 13 Game Voucher
- 4GB Memory Card

$299.99

I guess 199 is asking too much of them (?), but that seems like the more appropriate price.

#638 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

My point, along the same thinking with everyone else is that these memory cards are horribly over-priced. They get a ton of criticism for how they've handled the Vita so far, and then they continue to do things like this. I love Sony, my PS3, and my Vita to death, but to me it seems like they're the only of the 3 major companies that refuses to adapt to what consumers want.

I agree, as a PR move, it's not great. Proprietary memory cards in general are a proverbial kick in the teeth when flash memory has become so affordable to attain.

That being said, as an owner of a PS3, Vita, 360, Windows Phone, Wii (not WiiU), and an old phat-DS, I personally feel like Sony is doing the best job at adapting to consumers wants, and are quite a ways ahead of both Microsoft and Nintendo. One good example would be PS+ vs. Xbox Live Gold. Another would be the openness of the PS Blog vs. Major Nelson's blog, where we get basically 0 response from Microsoft.

#639 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I agree, as a PR move, it's not great. Proprietary memory cards in general are a proverbial kick in the teeth when flash memory has become so affordable to attain.

That being said, as an owner of a PS3, Vita, 360, Windows Phone, Wii (not WiiU), and an old phat-DS, I personally feel like Sony is doing the best job at adapting to consumers wants, and are quite a ways ahead of both Microsoft and Nintendo. One good example would be PS+ vs. Xbox Live Gold. Another would be the openness of the PS Blog vs. Major Nelson's blog, where we get basically 0 response from Microsoft.

The difference is that PS+ has no effect on my ability to play games over a stable connection. If Sony could offer that to me I'd gladly kick in a little extra on top of the PS+ charge. I'd love to only have to pay for one or the other. The problem is getting online with my PS3 friends is still rough and MUCH more cumbersome than on XBL.

#640 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lux is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

i bit the bullet and got the $80 32gig no tax no shipping card on amazon.
i just dont want to deal with the hassle with flipping those tiny cards in and out. i almost got another 4gig for $10 amazon lightning deal but thought nope.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#641 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I got a 2nd 4GB with my Starter Kit, so I'm gonna play the switch game for now. Got WipeOut and Gravity Rush on one, then PSASBR, Motorstorm RC, and a few smaller games on the other one. So between the two I've got about 7 or 8 games to play at any time, I think that will be enough for me, for now.

#642 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

To sell memory cards you have to sell systems. Part of the reason Sony cant sell systems is because no one wants to buy a $100 memory card. If they just would have at the very least given a 16gb card with the system (or built in memory)then maybe, just maybe people would be interested in a $250 system. As it is though the Vita is a $350 system with $100 of that cost being snuck in after the fact.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#643 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Memory Pro Duo was a complete crock as well. My guess is some suit at corporate had a powerpoint that said the Playstation Division needs to support and be better integrated with the memory storage division for better "corporate synergy." ;-) If they allowed Vita to use standard MicroSD, they'd maybe sell a whole lot more hardware. The "razor blade" business best practice is hardwired into many execs.

But IMO, proprietary memory formats make baby jesus cry.
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#644 biledriver

biledriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

- 3G Vita
- 1 Year PS Plus
- Unit 13 Game Voucher
- 4GB Memory Card

$299.99

I know. My walmart still has the 3g launch bundle which was the only one so far with an 8gb card. But I imagine the year of PS+ trumps 4gig more of memory. I dread the game juggling every time I want to play something off PS+ though. And no way I'm buying the games I want digitally with memory at such a premium.

#645 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Has anybody downloaded PS All Stars from the PSN? Does the DD come with a code for the Vita version or is that just physical copies? Also...any opinions on the game from CAGs who have played it? I'm trying to decide what to do with the last of my GS credit.

Lots of impressions in the PS3 thread for the game:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=320182

I personally have enjoyed what I've played. Similar enough to its inspirations to be accessible but different enough to stand on its own. Characters all have very different movesets yet manage to feel balanced. Decent amount of depth to he combat and the way you get kills/points (only via super moves) makes you play offensively and discourages holing up or turtling. Lots of content, unlockables too.

And for what its worth, I was skeptical and hated the beta, but the full game changed my mind.

#646 mars009

mars009

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

The difference is that PS+ has no effect on my ability to play games over a stable connection. If Sony could offer that to me I'd gladly kick in a little extra on top of the PS+ charge. I'd love to only have to pay for one or the other. The problem is getting online with my PS3 friends is still rough and MUCH more cumbersome than on XBL.

Dang I have 0 problems connecting and playing with friends over the PSN and that's for BF, NFS and many other multiplayer games. The only thing poking my mind is that I really wanted a Nexus 7, but I went with the White Vita Bundle and while I am loving it, I feel I could have gotten out much more from the Nexus... freaking hate over thinking stuff :-#

#647 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

This weekend is going to be the start of my weekly streaming segment for SmashPad after the successful stream on Thanksgiving morning, which will mainly cover Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault and maybe something else if there's time for it. The stream will be at and will start at 2 PM EST. I may do a quick stream tomorrow to see how switching between platforms will work while streaming if I'd like to play multiple games on different systems.

#648 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

I don't know how long they plan to run this bundle (the PS+ and Vita) but the box art has the games already available as part of the instant collection listed. So, I'd assume these games are going to be around for quite awhile.

Sony already confirmed these titles were going to be around for a while. Since EU is getting new Vita games for the lesser ones, we will probably see them swapped out from time to time and the big ones to stick around forever (like the PS3 version).

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#649 rpg

rpg

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

I can see them removing this games for future updates.

1.Final Fantasy Tactics
2.Jet Set Radio
3.Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

davey.gifGS Selling LBP2 DC Comics dlc $2-R,Blacklist $5 - P - Amazing Spider-Man PM me insane.gif

rpg49ers.pngcolbert+excited.gif

sniper.gifPlaying: Blackgate Ps3 (3/4 playthroughs)

#650 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

When the IGC first started, I think they mentioned that everything would be rotated out within one year, so I'd expect a similar schedule for the Vita.

Not that it matters what gets rotated out, to most of us what gets rotated in is way more important.

#651 Darknuke

Darknuke

Guncraft: Voxel-FPS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

The armchair analysts in here should put down the pipe and monacle for a moment. Vita memory cards are not just their margin of profit for a console sold at a loss, they are to protect the system from piracy.

The vast majority of PSP owners in Europe and a pretty sizable chunk in NA did not pay for a single game on PSP. I know its fun to cry about stuff like this but at least put 10 seconds of thought into it.

This ^^

SteamWidget.PNG

#652 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

The armchair analysts in here should put down the pipe and monacle for a moment. Vita memory cards are not just their margin of profit for a console sold at a loss, they are to protect the system from piracy.

The vast majority of PSP owners in Europe and a pretty sizable chunk in NA did not pay for a single game on PSP. I know its fun to cry about stuff like this but at least put 10 seconds of thought into it.

Not ever owning a PSP, I didn't know piracy was so rampant on the console.

Also, seems like there could have been a way for you to share your thoughts without the smugness.

#653 biledriver

biledriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

LOL yes because the only reason there was piracy on the PSP was the memory cards. Why don't YOU think for a minute how ridiculous that sounds. It's never that simple when the issue is complex. It was a poor decision and it's costing this system in sales because the cost of the system is already high and I need to invest even more in memory when I own sticks for the PSP or other formats already.

The fact that Sony can't hire some of the actual hackers to show them the holes in their code is their own fault and should not be passed along as higher prices to the consumer if they are serious about the system getting off the ground running.

#654 Derextreme

Derextreme

Do you even Sony?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

the memory card prices have nothing to do with the system sales. i'm sure if they did a $20 32gb sale people would buy them, and just hold them til a price drop happened on the system. much like people are doing with the games now. it's a stupid argument in the first place. people wouldn't be content even if it took sd memory, cause then they would think it should have Xgb internal storage. unless sony cut prices by 95% people are still going to find a price to complain about.

the system isn't selling cause there are not enough must have games, and there are not enough must have games cause developers aren't on board with the system. pure speculation, developers aren't on board with the system cause of the piracy issue with the psp.

405831.png               sig.gif

2014 completed games tab

#655 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

I think 30 posts about this stuff is enough to suggest that if you wish to discuss it further, go make a new thread in the Vita forum or use one of the applicable threads that already exist there so this thread can get back on topic.

#656 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Is Cash Guns Chaos so bad that it's not worth 0.75? I mean that's so cheap. Anyone actually download it with this sale and play it? Would I just be throwing away my three quarters?

Also anyone played Bejeweled PSP on their Vita? Good? Not so good? Incredibly frustrating because you want to use touch controls but you can't?

#657 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Is Cash Guns Chaos so bad that it's not worth 0.75? I mean that's so cheap. Anyone actually download it with this sale and play it? Would I just be throwing away my three quarters?

Also anyone played Bejeweled PSP on their Vita? Good? Not so good? Incredibly frustrating because you want to use touch controls but you can't?

I'm going to be recording a video of Cash Guns Chaos in a bit, so if you wait a bit, I'll post thoughts and a video some time after that.

I'd imagine that Bejeweled 2 is basically the same as the PS3 version, but not as pretty. It played fine on PS3, so I can't imagine it's much worse for PSP/Vita. I don't think touch controls are the only way to play puzzle games like that, especially when it's not intended to be a fast game like Treasures of Montezuma Blitz.

#658 primetime

primetime

What time is it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

How is Sega Rally?

#659 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

How is Sega Rally?

I found it to be a disappointing and shallow racing game due to it leaning more heavily on the arcade aspect of its roots, though I have no prior experience with the series to know how it compares in that way. The native Move support is terrible.

#660 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

The new PS Blogcast is out now, so here are next week's releases:

Deals
Canabalt
Enigmo
Jak & Daxter Collection - Permanent Price Drop
Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - Permanent Price Drop
Jak II - Permanent Price Drop
Jak 3 - Permanent Price Drop
EA Sports Bundles

Games
Far Cry 3
Guardians of Middle Earth
Guilty Gear XX Accent Plus
Mass Effect
Mass Effect Trilogy
Rotastic
Shaun White Snowboarding

PS1 Imports - Coming from Gungho Games, Post on Monday
Art Camion Sugorokuden
Finger Flashing
Lup'Salad
Makeruna! Makendou 2
Vehicle Cavalier
Zanac X Zanac

PS2 Classics
Chulip

Demos
Guardians of Middle Earth
Rotastic

Add-ons
Assassin's Creed III
Darksiders 2
DC Universe Online
Dead or Alive 5
LittleBigPlanet 2
Mugen Souls
Resident Evil 6
Sound Shapes
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD
XCOM: Enemy Unkown

Vita Games
DJ Max Technika Tune
Uncharted: Fight For Fortune - $4.99

Vita Add-ons
Sound Shapes

PlayStation Mobile
Ecofish
Lemmings

Definitely picking up the Jak & Daxter Collection since I've been waiting for that to drop.