Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#7231 Krate

Krate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Guess I'll finally get Journey. I missed out during Christmas when it was on sale.

#7232 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well, that's sort of the point though : If the game's assets are all contained within a 900 MB game file, why do we have a patch to download that's over 150% as large a file to add some music and a few extra levels? Same thing with PSASBR Vita, which required an 800 MB patch to add two DLC character and one more battle arena. I think it's safe to say that SCEA isn't being very economical with however they're updating their games and handling their DLC.

oops, yea, i misread the post i had been responding to. those patch sizes sound ridiculous. do they contain free dlc or something? because a simple patch shouldn't be that big (though sometimes patching does require 'replacing' so an equally big file could happen on occasion... but if the main game is <1gig and the patch is 1.5 gig that's... just odd.

question -- does it add 1.5 to the total install (so like 2.4g), or replace the 900k and end up as 1.5 final? I'm wondering if it's something like:

1) need space to download patch file
2) need space to unpack patch file
3) need space to apply patch file
4) now delete original patch file, unpack file, etc. and we're back to something reasonable.

i'm not saying this is how it works, just posing a possible explanation.

#7233 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

yes. my sub goes out to 2016 or something like that.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with PS+ after the PS4 comes out, especially if it doesn't support previous generations' digital files.

decker%2001.jpg

#7234 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

i've seen several reports on the demo for Unit 13, but no one re: the full game. worth the $13ish they want? I enjoyed the demo alright, but i'm still on the fence as to my need for an fps.

#7235 salt_peanuts

salt_peanuts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Don't know if it was asked, but if I already renewed plus with the 3 month bonus, and then I add another year on in march before the deal is over, can I still get the 3 month bonus, or is it only a one time offer?

#7236 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Don't know if it was asked, but if I already renewed plus with the 3 month bonus, and then I add another year on in march before the deal is over, can I still get the 3 month bonus, or is it only a one time offer?

You are still eligible for the 3 month bonus. So renew away.

#7237 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Munky blows goats. I have proof.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

i've seen several reports on the demo for Unit 13, but no one re: the full game. worth the $13ish they want? I enjoyed the demo alright, but i'm still on the fence as to my need for an fps.

The demo gives a good impression of what the game is, it's just a lot of separate mission. Also, I'm sure it was just a typo, but Unit 13 is a TPS not an FPS.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#7238 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

oops, yea, i misread the post i had been responding to. those patch sizes sound ridiculous. do they contain free dlc or something? because a simple patch shouldn't be that big (though sometimes patching does require 'replacing' so an equally big file could happen on occasion... but if the main game is <1gig and the patch is 1.5 gig that's... just odd.

question -- does it add 1.5 to the total install (so like 2.4g), or replace the 900k and end up as 1.5 final? I'm wondering if it's something like:

1) need space to download patch file
2) need space to unpack patch file
3) need space to apply patch file
4) now delete original patch file, unpack file, etc. and we're back to something reasonable.

i'm not saying this is how it works, just posing a possible explanation.

Looking at this article, it seems all the patches just compound the game's size. The DLC you buy is just an unlock code, so I assume this patch is all three DLC packages which is a ridiculous way to handle DLC and seems like a huge amount of space in addition to the full game. Why you can't just download the DLC you want, when you want it is totally beyond me.

decker%2001.jpg

#7239 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Looking at this article, it seems all the patches just compound the game's size. The DLC you buy is just an unlock code, so I assume this patch is all three DLC packages which is a ridiculous way to handle DLC and seems like a huge amount of space in addition to the full game. Why you can't just download the DLC you want, when you want it is totally beyond me.

I think it has something to do with how Sony charges for patches and what's available on the store. I'm pretty sure developers are charged for every download made from the store (which is why there aren't demos for every game) and it's cheaper to just pay for a patch for everyone to download.

The only evidence I have for this is a lot of games do this where everyone has to download the DLC and then you buy a 100kb code from the store.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7240 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

http://blog.us.plays...ystation-debut/

#7241 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hmm, Bit Trip Runner 2 to be 20% off for PS+ members for 2 weeks. Tempting, but I think I'll wait for it to be under $10.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7242 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Where do you see the current price of it?

#7243 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Well if you are playing online multiplayer, you need the files on your system in case you fight against someone who selects a DLC character. If not, DLC people would only be able to play against other DLC people. That's the way it was with earlier PS3 games like Saint's Row 2. The switch to 100 KB unlock codes and big patches is to prevent that sharding of the player base.

Guardian_owl.png

#7244 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

http://blog.us.plays...ystation-debut/

vita = new indie dev hotspot? not complaining at all, just surprised that they keep coming. wish the skullgirls fundraiser could include a vita port...

MildObstruction.png

#7245 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Wow, I just called Sony to refund my psn+ renewal and I don't know how the hell to tell them. They keep giving me options that eventually lead to a dead end. I don't know what to do.

#7246 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Why would they refund your PS+ renewal?

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#7247 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Why would they refund your PS+ renewal?

It renewed itself and didn't want to waste $17.99 on 3 months when I would rather get the whole year?

#7248 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

That's your fault for not turning off auto renewal

#7249 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

It renewed itself and didn't want to waste $17.99 on 3 months when I would rather get the whole year?

That's your fault for not turning off auto renewal

Exactly this. If they refund you, lucky you, but it's still your fault in the first place.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#7250 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yea I dont see why they should refund you for your own problem. Just eat the loss.

Decided to pick up Walking Dead again. I now got it for both systems for $20 total. Sweet!

512847.png

#7251 B:L

B:L

twitch.tv/BLbeel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Wow, I just called Sony to refund my psn+ renewal and I don't know how the hell to tell them. They keep giving me options that eventually lead to a dead end. I don't know what to do.

When you called, did you escalate to a supervisor?

I escalated it to an account representative who sent the refund request in, and now I'm waiting for an email response to see if it was approved.

#7252 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Always turn off auto renew. That is like the No. 1 rule for joining ANYTHING.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#7253 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

When you called, did you escalate to a supervisor?

I escalated it to an account representative who sent the refund request in, and now I'm waiting for an email response to see if it was approved.

I called and they I had no idea where to go. Tells me to keep pressing a certain number for a feature of theirs but I don't know which problem I'm seeking.

#7254 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Always turn off auto renew. That is like the No. 1 rule for joining ANYTHING.

Yep, there's always auto renew for everything! I don't know how I forgot that! :-s

#7255 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

vita = new indie dev hotspot? not complaining at all, just surprised that they keep coming. wish the skullgirls fundraiser could include a vita port...

https://twitter.com/BriProv

The developer of Retro City Rampage has been basically advertising the hell out of making indie games for PS3 and Vita since the summer, which seems to be helping to sway his fellow colleagues about making games for PSN. He even mentioned that the PSN versions sold better than Steam and the Vita version (not counting PS+ "sales") topped the PS3 version. It looks like Zeboyd Games (Penny Arcade's Rain Slick 3/4, Cthulu Saves the World, and Breath of Death VII) is convinced to get stuff on Vita just because of his tweets, so it's looking like this will be a thing for Vita.

http://blog.us.plays...#comment-822723

There's no cross buy with the Vita version of Runner 2 since they're self-publishing on Vita while the PS3 version is published by Aksys.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#7256 Bumslie

Bumslie

Don't Shit Where You Eat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I called and they I had no idea where to go. Tells me to keep pressing a certain number for a feature of theirs but I don't know which problem I'm seeking.

Stop wasting your time calling Sony. You didn't turn off auto renew and that's your fault. When you join they turn it on so learn to read the terms of service. Enjoy the 3 months cause they got your money already. You can only blame yourself nobody else.

Just remember Sony loves you!

#7257 EnemyCanine

EnemyCanine

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

I just downloaded Zen Pinball 2 for the vita to try out the Star Wars tables and noticed something that may be useful to users who have been PS+ subscribers for a while. The classics pack and marvel tables are free to download because of previous PS+ inclusions but there is actually no expiration date showing under the account management on SEN so it looks like they are genuinely free.

Also, I just got a vita survey from Sony largely focused on Vita memory card prices so hopefully that is a sign that there may be changes coming soon. Although I have no idea why they would need a survey to realize the prices are too high...

#7258 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I just downloaded Zen Pinball 2 for the vita to try out the Star Wars tables and noticed something that may be useful to users who have been PS+ subscribers for a while. The classics pack and marvel tables are free to download because of previous PS+ inclusions but there is actually no expiration date showing under the account management on SEN so it looks like they are genuinely free.

Also, I just got a vita survey from Sony largely focused on Vita memory card prices so hopefully that is a sign that there may be changes coming soon. Although I have no idea why they would need a survey to realize the prices are too high...

Are you sure those are the full tables and not the demos?
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#7259 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Stop wasting your time calling Sony. You didn't turn off auto renew and that's your fault. When you join they turn it on so learn to read the terms of service. Enjoy the 3 months cause they got your money already. You can only blame yourself nobody else.

Just remember Sony loves you!

Sony loves us and we love Sony :grouphug:
Posted Image

#7260 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

It's not genuinely free, as it's an unlock key game and those turn into demos when your sub expires.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki