Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#9391 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

There aren't too many games I would put in the leagues of legends like Xenogears and Final Fantasy IV being a long time RPG player.

I'd easily put P4G right along side them and readily recommend it to anyone that owns a Vita.

Fixed.

#9392 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

oh snap it's an rpg off! xenogears, ct, ff6. mmmm much love. i have p4g, i need to play it!

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#9393 Colddecembersnow

Colddecembersnow

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Why is this and the XBL deals not kept at the top every week?

#9394 Tourista

Tourista

*gasp* the enemy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

my $30 PSN credit from BestBuy just came in

not sure if I wanna wait for P4G to get another price drop.. or just jump on it now.
was thinking of getting P3P and some other Capcom PSP titles too

If i were you, I'd go with p3 portable and some of the other games you're looking at first.

P4G is amazing, what I've played of it, but having played the earlier entries in the series I'd definitely recommend people start at 3 - not because of complexity or difficulty, but because 4 is so refined. 1&2 are very 'traditional' jrpgs, hard for most to get into after playing 3&4 because the mechanics haven't 'aged' very well, supposedly. 3 is rock solid, but 4 improves on it in a lot of areas, so going back to play 3 after 4 would feel like a drag to most people. Plus, p3p pr p3FES (if you go console) will give you TONS of hours of gameplay if you're interested in any further p4g price drops.

"On a long enough timeline, all games become $10. Or you'll die before you get a chance to play it WHO KNOWS" -hamberger

Con los tourista.

Spoiler

#9395 josekortez

josekortez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Can anyone recommend the Red Star and Susume Tactics? I've already purchased all of the Capcom PSP games on the sale except Monster Hunter and I bought Persona 3, but I still have $5 left from my $50 PSN card, so I'm trying to figure out whether I should get one of those games. I own the Red Star on PS2, but for some reason, the shooter sections seemed balls harder than the fighting sections, so I don't know if playing on PSP will be better or worse due to the lack of a second analog stick.

Edited by josekortez, 24 March 2013 - 02:35 PM.
misspelled

#9396 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Tourista makes a good point. 4 improved on 3's mechanics so much that going from 4 to 3 can feel like a downgrade at times, despite it still being a good game (I really need to get back to P3P. I'm almost at the point of having Aigis in my party). & yeah, like Frisky said, it eases you into the game. Though don't be discouraged if the first few hours feel like nothing but text & explanations about how to play the game and setting the plot up.

Pretty much, let your first playthrough be about experiencing the story and getting the hang of things, then on New Game + which carries your social stats (courage, knowledge, etc.) among other things, focus on trophies, maxing out everyone's social links, etc.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9397 physlics66

physlics66

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Red Star was one of my favorite PSP games. If you're a Contra fan you'll love it.

#9398 Slade

Slade

Coordinated Insanity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Fixed.

Xenogears I'd agree with but FFIV was a bit before my time I'm afraid.

I can definitely understand people liking it though for its time.

Fighting game enthusiast (BatousaiJ) and Editor at ZTGD

#9399 fei33

fei33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy IV are all awesome games. Out of curiosity, any love for Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore? I do not quite put them near the top like the other games mentioned, but I still have fond memories of those games as well (Jeremy Soule of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim fame composed the OST for Secret of Evermore and it is beautiful).

On another note, all this positive talk of Persona 4: The Golden has sold me on buying the PSN version. If you consider the $10 rebate for every $50 spent as reducing the total cost to $40, it is as if every purchase to reach that point is 20% off. Persona 4: The Golden at $24-ish is very reasonable and I do not see Atlus putting it on sale for less than $29.99 for a while. I really enjoyed Persona 3 Portable immensely (I still need to play the other Shin Megami Tensei games), so I look forward to seeing all the improvements that Persona 4: The Golden provides.

#9400 11440

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Although P4 may beat P3 in terms of gameplay mechanics, I feel as though P4 takes a step or two back with the characters. I played a couple of dozen hours of P4, and the whole time I couldn't help thinking about how much I missed Junpei and Yukari.

#9401 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Although P4 may beat P3 in terms of gameplay mechanics, I feel as though P4 takes a step or two back with the characters. I played a couple of dozen hours of P4, and the whole time I couldn't help thinking about how much I missed Junpei and Yukari.

This is a really divisive subject. I personally adored the P4 cast (Yuki and Kanji are two of my favorite characters in gaming, and the new S-link character, Marie, is really really great), while P3's didn't do a ton for me. I'm not saying you're wrong or that your opinion is invalid, just pointing out that there are many people on both sides of the split. Which is kind of cool, in a way.

TheSporkWithin.png
Trade List 3DS Friend Code: 0731-4785-9484

#9402 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I agree.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#9403 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

It's all good stuff really. I hate how everything has to be a competition about what's better. It's all good and all fun (If you are open minded). I've always been able to just enjoy most everything despite any flaws or preferences for one thing or another. (With exceptions)

Am I alone?

#9404 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hey, I looked through the last couple pages and didn't see anything, so what do you guys think about Persona 4: Golden? Is it worth it?

It's all good stuff really. I hate how everything has to be a competition about what's better. It's all good and all fun (If you are open minded). I've always been able to just enjoy most everything despite any flaws or preferences for one thing or another. (With exceptions)

Am I alone?

I'm actually the same way. There are very, very few games that I've not liked at all. I think it's because I don't get overhyped about a game beforehand and then it fails to live up to my expectations and I also don't compare the game that I'm playing to anything else.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#9405 BettercallPitPat

BettercallPitPat

to-go cup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy IV are all awesome games. Out of curiosity, any love for Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore? .

Evermore is my #1 wish for a console revival. Spent a lot of time on it as a youngin, and not many other rpgs

#9406 11440

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

This is a really divisive subject. I personally adored the P4 cast (Yuki and Kanji are two of my favorite characters in gaming, and the new S-link character, Marie, is really really great), while P3's didn't do a ton for me. I'm not saying you're wrong or that your opinion is invalid, just pointing out that there are many people on both sides of the split. Which is kind of cool, in a way.

Yeah, it is cool that the casts have enough dimension and differentiation to appeal to players differently. Atlus deserves credit for not homogenizing characters across the series. (Tales, I think, is a prominent counter-example.) As much as I love the core characters from P3, it would've been pretty lame if those characters had just been "re-skinned" in P4.

#9407 mebegod

mebegod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Evermore is my #1 wish for a console revival. Spent a lot of time on it as a youngin, and not many other rpgs

I loved secret of evermore myself and would buy a revival however it seems a bit unlikely

#9408 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'll admit it, the social aspects of Persona games overwhelm me. I love the battle system, but i feel that there are so many 'missables' in the overworld that it sets off my OCD bad and I need to refer to a guide, which then destroys my experience and will to play the game.

I want to love them. I really do. But something about them just doesn't work for me. Also of note -- no matter how good the story is, and it does seem good, i can't get into a high school sim.

I've tried and loved both P3 and P4G, but gave up on both of them after only a dungeon or two simply because half the game just doesn't speak to me at all.

However, I think anyone mildly interested in them should fork over the bucks because i can tell they're great games and the devs should be supported (and more games like them should be made).

#9409 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'll admit it, the social aspects of Persona games overwhelm me. I love the battle system, but i feel that there are so many 'missables' in the overworld that it sets off my OCD bad and I need to refer to a guide, which then destroys my experience and will to play the game.

Yeah, this stuff stresses me out as I've been going through P3P, I can't bring myself to just cross my fingers and hope the answers I give will get the desired responses. I consider it secondary to the dungeon-crawling, though, and overall it's still a lot of fun. I just don't have nearly enough free time for a game like this, by the time I finish P3P I bet P4G will be $20 or less.
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#9410 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

re: Susume Tactics (psp)

trying to find some more info on this. I can only find a single review, and it's not exactly well written:
http://www.ps3blog.n...susume-tactics/

Some key points taken from the review:

"The game itself is similar to Tower Defense games, but in Susume Tactics! you can control each individual unit, ordering them to move to meet the enemy. They still attack within a specific range (displayed by a circle around them), and they attack over and over until they have destroyed the enemy or they are blown to pieces. Just like in regular Tower Defense games, you need to obtain resources to be able to build new units, and you obtain them from the enemies you defeat. Unlike most TD games, in Susume Tactics! all resources must be picked up by the player or else they are lost forever, which means you can’t just send your units toward the enemy and call it a day."

"Susume Tactics! is a very fun release that brings a portable Strategy/TD game to the PSP. The huge amount of content available, the excellent controls, the novelty of using the PSP in the vertical position, and the great price tag are all great incentives for those looking for a new digital game for their collection."

---

The review has some screen shots too... it's very minimalist graphically, which isn't too big of an issue for me since some of the deepest Tower Defense style games are very much function over form.

it's only $2.50... i'd definitely give it a shot if it were vita (trophies) but as it's psp i'm still on the fence. but it sounds like it might be a solid experience for tactical gamers-- a new take on tower defense (where you assault with your 'towers') sounds interesting.

#9411 hostyl1

hostyl1

Can do this all day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

I want to love them. I really do. But something about them just doesn't work for me. Also of note -- no matter how good the story is, and it does seem good, i can't get into a high school sim.

I've tried and loved both P3 and P4G, but gave up on both of them after only a dungeon or two simply because half the game just doesn't speak to me at all.

However, I think anyone mildly interested in them should fork over the bucks because i can tell they're great games and the devs should be supported (and more games like them should be made).

I've kinda felt the same way about Persona 3. However, it was the dungeon part of the game that didnt really appeal to me. Because of the 'elemental weaknesses', I felt like the battles were simply research the enemies, find weakness, switch Persona to exploit said weakness, rinse, repeat. It was kinda boring.

OTOH, the 'dating sim' part was interesting as it has not been a part of any game I've every played before, so it was fresh and new. The first time I blew someone off and they got pissed, I kinda felt bad. That was pretty cool.

I dont really care about collectables so I never felt too much stress in choosing daily activities past trying to strengthen social links.
Posted Image

#9412 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

If i were you, I'd go with p3 portable and some of the other games you're looking at first.

P4G is amazing, what I've played of it, but having played the earlier entries in the series I'd definitely recommend people start at 3 - not because of complexity or difficulty, but because 4 is so refined. 1&2 are very 'traditional' jrpgs, hard for most to get into after playing 3&4 because the mechanics haven't 'aged' very well, supposedly. 3 is rock solid, but 4 improves on it in a lot of areas, so going back to play 3 after 4 would feel like a drag to most people. Plus, p3p pr p3FES (if you go console) will give you TONS of hours of gameplay if you're interested in any further p4g price drops.

thankss :D I can't justify a $30 purchase... though everyone emphasizes that the game is great (and in that vein, the developers deserve the money). just need to stretch that dollar though.

I have a feeling I may end up with P3P + P4G :/ that's $40

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D
Amazon Prime for Students: Sign up HERE

#9413 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

P4G: 60 hours of dating/friendship sim, and 5 hours of dungeon crawling. I enjoy it though.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check out Captain's Crap Filled Store

Check out the shares I have for sale

My real name is Catfish!

#9414 guardkitty

guardkitty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

How was the add on pack for Hot Shots golf? worth getting at this price?

#9415 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

P4G: 60 hours of dating/friendship sim, and 5 hours of dungeon crawling. I enjoy it though.

It's definitely not that imbalanced. I's probably closer to 60/40, maybe even less if you actually go for all of the collectible item sidequests. Admittedly sometimes you get railroaded into social event things without warning and have to hang out with friends every day for two straight weeks, which sometimes feels like a bit much.

TheSporkWithin.png

#9416 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

It's definitely not that imbalanced. I's probably closer to 60/40, maybe even less if you actually go for all of the collectible item sidequests. Admittedly sometimes you get railroaded into social event things without warning and have to hang out with friends every day for two straight weeks, which sometimes feels like a bit much.

and that's where the games lose me. even 2 nights of reading dialogue and checking a FAQ every time there is a choice (so i say the optimal thing) is too much for me. and there is more than just 2 nights, sometimes.

on the other hand, the dialog in Zero Escape VLR wasn't nearly as oppressive, even though there is a ton of it. I think because ZEVLR let you insta-skip around the various possibilities so you never felt like you were missing out / answering wrong.

#9417 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

and that's where the games lose me. even 2 nights of reading dialogue and checking a FAQ every time there is a choice (so i say the optimal thing) is too much for me. and there is more than just 2 nights, sometimes.

on the other hand, the dialog in Zero Escape VLR wasn't nearly as oppressive, even though there is a ton of it. I think because ZEVLR let you insta-skip around the various possibilities so you never felt like you were missing out / answering wrong.

Yeah, I didn't stress out about that stuff at all. I used the Vox Populi a bit for planning my days, but didn't really do any FAQ checking for the conversations themselves. It's really not a big deal unless you're going for a "perfect game" which you really shouldn't do on your first playthrough anyway. Just accept that you won't max every social link and focus on the ones you like the most, relax, and enjoy the game. None of the conversation options will lock you out of anything important.

TheSporkWithin.png

#9418 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Secret of Evermore rocks! I'll let the game's own marketing campaign reach the uninitiated.

-Trying to think of something creative.-

#9419 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

If you're the type of person that has to have a perfect run in your first playthrough of a JRPG, then neither of the Personas are going to be a good fit for you. I know P4G especially isn't possible to do a perfect run, so it's best to just play it for fun and make the choices that you think are best since that's the way to play it best.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#9420 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy IV are all awesome games. Out of curiosity, any love for Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore? I do not quite put them near the top like the other games mentioned, but I still have fond memories of those games as well (Jeremy Soule of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim fame composed the OST for Secret of Evermore and it is beautiful).

I could not get into Evermore.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3) was fantastic though.

I think due to the story mechanic that each character had to go through, I enjoyed the P4 cast more.