Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#9511 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hmm. Stacking + Costume Quest + De Blob 2 or P3P to make up the last $10 I need to spend?

Costume Quest is kind of short and easy but I had a lot of fum playing it.
Stacking is excellent and funny and just a whole lot of fun to me trying to find different ways to solve the various puzzles. (which is actually something that game keeps track of and encourages)

#9512 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Stacking is tempting. I remember enjoying the demo long, long ago.
Aren't the Red Faction and Kane and Lynch games all FPS? Not my type.

Some reviews for those on the fence:

Stacking -- Really cool puzzle game that my wife and I played together. She loved it more than me, but finding games she enjoys is hard. Every puzzle has something like 3-5 solutions (some of them quite tricky) and you feel impelled to figure them all out. Lovely game.

Red Faction Guerrilla is a pile of pure fun. Third person open world that's very destructible, even having cool challenges where you try to take down massive buildings with limited explosives. Destructibility is more fun and intense than any other game i've ever played -- you can have a blast swinging your hammer, taking out the support for a huge building full of enemies and watch it collapse without firing a single shot. Fun, fun, fun. It feels a tad 'budget' but the fun factor quickly eclipses that. Highly recommended.

Armageddon, however, was a sequel that didn't understand what made the first fun. Gone is open world. Destructibility still plays a part, but not in the same 'fun' way. I didn't finish it, and that's rare. Skip.

The other Red Faction game is a very skippable PSN game that's just a sort of car arena game.

I loved both Kane & Lynchs, but they're not for everyone? They are gritty 3rd person shooters with hard characters and harsh situations. The sequel has a unique look to it that I loved. They aren't perfect games, but they're worthwhile imo. I believe the first one has a demo. They feel quite a bit different from one another in some ways, but that's not really a criticism of either. Get em if they look good to you.

#9513 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Kind of in a nebulous spot, need about $18 to get to $50 but not really feeling next (or this) week's sales. Obviously I can kind of think of it as anything I spend over or at $18 to be $10 off, but I've still got to fork over $18. Like I said, right in that range... if I had $25 to go I'd probably be content blowing it off. I may get P4G because I'd be comfortable knowing it will be awhile before it's $20... even though I prefer to have a retail copy.

#9514 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

I'm at about $54 spent and I have the first Persona game, which I haven't played yet, so I think I'll pass on this sale.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#9515 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

does costume quest have any local coop-ness to it? my wife has expressed interest but she'll never play w/o me.

#9516 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

No, it's a single-player game. There's not really anything there that would be co-op friendly.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#9517 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

And it stays that way throughout the game. I found a team that I was happy with and pretty much used that setup for the entirety.

Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed the game from beginning to end. I loved the art style and the simplicity of the game was a nice change of pace that made for a relaxed playthrough.

I actually played it all the way to the end (including the DLC) this past Halloween so it was kind of nostalgic in terms of childhood "trick-or-treating" memories.

If you can get over the repetitiveness, I highly recommend it, especially for the price.

I couldn't agree more with this quick review of the game. I also played through it's entirety last fall (on 360 after the DLC finally went on sale). I second the high recommendation and also feel that it is well worth this sale price.

does costume quest have any local coop-ness to it? my wife has expressed interest but she'll never play w/o me.

Unfortunately, it does not have any type of co-op play. I will however add that my wife was also interested in the game due its Halloween theme, simplicity, and overall charm. She also won't start any game without me but gave CQ a go after watching me play the beginning. After she started her own game, she was hooked, I found her playing it when I woke up one weekend. It remains the only console title that she has started and completed by herself in the last six months.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#9518 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

Oh, others beat me to it for the local coop question.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

My Lowball!

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#9519 hostyl1

hostyl1

Can do this all day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

Stacking is OK. I really enjoyed the premise of the stacking dolls and how different dolls had different abilities. The only drawback for me is that, at it's core, it's still an adventure game. No matter if you think you have the perfect solution for a puzzle, if it's not the solution that the creators came up with, then you're S.O.L.

That's not true at all. I believe there are at least three solutions to every main puzzle in the game.

Actually, I think you're both right. Yes there are multiple ways to solve the puzzles, but there are solutions that logically *should* work, but weren't thought of/coded that way. Tyler's spoilered example above is one I also came up with things that should have worked, but didnt. From what I played, it wasnt difficult to find *something* that worked, but finding the alternate solutions was a bit frustrating when you had something that *should* work, but was not one of the pre-supposed solutions.

I actually just got kinda bored with the game, and I generally like point-and-click adventure type games and coincidentally have a fascination with Russian Nesting Dolls (i blame an old episode of Sesame Street)
Spoiler

Posted Image

#9520 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Spelunky coming to PS3 & Vita this summer. No word on price & such yet.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9521 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

^Fuck that game so much. Nice to see yet another indie coming to Vita (and PSN this time) but man it takes a real masochist to enjoy it. That game destroyed me.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#9522 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

^Fuck that game so much. Nice to see yet another indie coming to Vita (and PSN this time) but man it takes a real masochist to enjoy it. That game destroyed me.

The problem with Spelunky is that it's too randomized. It's completely possible to get a level you literally can't win or get two levels in a row that waste all your supplies or get several levels without giving you any supplies. Worse yet, since the game is randomized, you can't really learn from your mistakes, so it's just infuriating. Especially since some of the deaths are from left field! Like one time I cracked my skull shooting the shotgun (recoil made me hit some rocks above me), which is like... really?

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#9523 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

Crap. Getting RF:A but still need to spend $7 after that. Might just get the other caocom $5 classics pack, but then have $2 left

#9524 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

yeah only need $15 left til i hit $100. im going with monster hunter freedom unite and Rage dlc. Great promo! i would get persona 3, but i have fes on ps2 and i havnt touched that since 2009 and i already have persona 4 golden, so i think im good to go.

oh yeah, if you don't own rfg you need to get it. $5 is insane for the fun you get from that game. i barely touched singleplayer but mp was a blast with the cag community.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#9525 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

Limbo is hilariously bad. I honestly can't believe people paid money for such a joke of a "game".

:roll:

#9526 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

:roll:

Bashes on popular indie games and the impending rarity of collector's editions. Sounds like something our old pal Slowdive AKA Vanquish isn't a third person shooter would say.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#9527 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

Bashes on popular indie games and the impending rarity of collector's editions. Sounds like something our old pal Slowdive AKA Vanquish isn't a third person shooter would say.

That was Slowdive? I recall him being decent in the community...

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#9528 NightCat

NightCat

Backtoad_Overload

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

Crap. Getting RF:A but still need to spend $7 after that. Might just get the other caocom $5 classics pack, but then have $2 left

Want to coop the mp lmk. I finished on 360 but for $5 will do again on ps3.

#9529 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

I remember that person, just not by name...but seeing that users join date, it could very well be him

#9530 TortillaSoup

TortillaSoup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

With Red Faction: Guerrilla, you don't need Armageddon.

#9531 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

So I know a couple of things were confirmed for two weeks, but was the Capcom sale ever stated as lasting anything beyond a week?

#9532 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

That was Slowdive? I recall him being decent in the community...

Slowdive21 is the cool guy. Slowdive with no numbers is the banned user. The join date of Flowstance or or whatever his name is is right around the time of his banning and the name sounds/looks somewhat similar.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#9533 plus1zero

plus1zero

Turd Ferguson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

Well my fiancée asked what I wanted for Easter, just had her get me P4G. Good enough for me.

#9534 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

People give gifts for Easter?

#9535 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Not slowdive, SlowDance. I suspected that guy being Slowdance for awhile now, considering the rhyme :lol:.

#9536 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Am I wrong in thinking everything in the THQ sale has been on sale before repeatedly?

#9537 plus1zero

plus1zero

Turd Ferguson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

We do small gifts between us. Really we just look for excuses.

#9538 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

The problem with Spelunky is that it's too randomized. It's completely possible to get a level you literally can't win or get two levels in a row that waste all your supplies or get several levels without giving you any supplies. Worse yet, since the game is randomized, you can't really learn from your mistakes, so it's just infuriating. Especially since some of the deaths are from left field! Like one time I cracked my skull shooting the shotgun (recoil made me hit some rocks above me), which is like... really?

My sentiments exactly. There are lots of people who love the game, but it's not for me. Like you say, you never get to "learn" from your mistakes, and the randomization can be seriously unfair at times. Like I said, lots of people love that much of a challenge, but I'm definitely not one of them. One of my biggest regret purchases on XBLA.

I usually just hope for some Cadbury eggs.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#9539 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

Not slowdive, SlowDance. I suspected that guy being Slowdance for awhile now, considering the rhyme :lol:.

Ooh, well that makes more sense then. I've suspected it for months now, but now I have doubt whatsoever knowing that.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#9540 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Am I wrong in thinking everything in the THQ sale has been on sale before repeatedly?

Costume Quest and Stacking are probably the two games on that list that go on sale the most often, but that's still not that often. It's not as often as Sega or Atlus. I know that stuff like Red Faction Guerrilla, Armageddon, and Darksiders II haven't been on sale much for just the game, as they've had more bundle sales or releases over the past year or so.

I'll take a big guess that these are on sale because they're the remaining IPs that THQ owned that have yet to be auctioned off, so this will probably one of the last times, if not the last time, that these will be on sale. The THQ wikipedia page mentions that the auction for the rest of their IPs goes from April 1 to April 15, so I think that's exactly the reason that these specific games are on sale. It's a last effort to make some sales to help pay off the remaining debts of the company. If you want any of this stuff, now is the time to get it.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4