Is there any difference between the Vita and the 3DS versions of VLR? I will be picking this up once I finish the first one.
Yes, excellen posted this in another thread.. definitely get the Vita version. I think he left out that it can freeze/crash randomly on 3DS.
The 3DS version of this is much worse than the Vita. I enjoy the 3DS library much more than the Vita's but there is no excuse for getting the 3DS version of this game over the Vita if you have the option.
+ stylus controls are excellent
+ can view menu/notes on bottom screen at the same time as viewing the top screen
- a very common game breaking glitch that corrupts your save file
- only 1 save slot so the glitch really hurts when it happens
- compressed audio (very noticeable with the voices)
- framerate suffers when moving around rooms too fast
- must view unskippable credits scene 14 times before getting to the true end
- one ink color for the notes option
- intrusive scan line filter on the bottom screen, which is the one you will be looking at most of the time while in puzzle sections
+ high resolution visuals
+ higher quality audio
+ 3 ink colors for the notepad
+ 3 save slots
+ smooth framerate always
+ can skip credits scene after viewing it for the first time
+ large, unobstructed screen (no scan lines) to interact with during all parts of the game
- default finger touch controls are worse than using a stylus on the 3DS (can be remedied by buying a $2 capacitive stylus)
- cannot view menu at the same time as the whole screen
Read more about the save corrupting bug here: http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=497204
It was a problem in the Japanese version which came out over a year ago as well and was never patched. Aksys has been made aware of the situation but has been silent for over a month.