Photo
- - - - -

What's happened to Google? (or: Why does Google suddenly suck now?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

I remember when I used to be able to search on Google and it would give me a nice variety of websites, sometimes showing a "show more results from x website" that I could expand out.

For the past few months now, all it does is give a long list of the same website hit after hit. I really started getting annoyed with it this past week when I would search for a product to find reviews or info and it would give me 10+ hits of just Amazon links.

Today, I thought I'd compare Bing to see what that does, and what do you know? Bing actually works like Google used to. I did a search for "miniature golf cheyenne" and Google stupidly shows me a whopping 10 entries all for a website called golflink.com, then the next 9 hits are for cheyenne.org/listings.

When I do the exact same search with Bing, 9 out of the first 10 hits are completely different websites.

Is there something wrong with my settings or does Google just absolutely suck now? (FYI: I am not signed into Google and never use local search setting or blocks)

Edited by Kerig, 17 November 2012 - 09:15 PM.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#2 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

I used your golf search and I only got one golflink result. The rest were all different so I don't know what to tell you

Formerly known as slickkill77

#3 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Isn't this just the search customizations thing that Google does?

Try going here and disabling it.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Ask Siri and see if she knows.

#5 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Never had a problem myself, google is still awesome. Delete your cookies? Do you have a G+ account? Maybe you have a weird setting? I don't use Bing just because it's M$ and Google is fine.

#6 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

Ask Siri and see if she knows.

lol

#7 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Isn't this just the search customizations thing that Google does?Try going here and disabling it.

Did this, thanks. Didn't change anything as I think the damage was already done, so...

Never had a problem myself, google is still awesome. Delete your cookies? Do you have a G+ account?

...a combo of all this and uninstalling Chrome from my computer looks like it did the trick. I honestly think the decline started right after I installed Chrome a few months ago. Installing Firefox 12 or 13 may have contributed as well. All I know is Google was the best thing around and whatever awful setting was secretly set should be properly labeled as suck.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#8 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I tend to use Bing for the free points now unless I can't find it with them. I have used Google to get the number for a restaurant that was close or for a store. Bing for some reason doesn't show them. I have had times when I have used Google it did show me the same site more than once however that site had more than one page on what I was searching for and each link was to another page. Biggest issue, and I have noticed it with Bing also, is that if what I'm looking for is a common issue with something and has multiple threads on message forums all the forums are the same just on a different site. Even the posts are all the same, but the forum may look different or be on a different web address.
Posted Image

#9 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Try clearing your cookies and cache with CCleaner.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#10 Angie7F

Angie7F

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

The G+ that comes out in the search results is so annoying.
They should make it unsearchable like FB and twitter.