What's happened to Google? (or: Why does Google suddenly suck now?)

Kerig

Target won BF'23 w/$350 consoles
Feedback
85 (100%)
I remember when I used to be able to search on Google and it would give me a nice variety of websites, sometimes showing a "show more results from x website" that I could expand out.

For the past few months now, all it does is give a long list of the same website hit after hit. I really started getting annoyed with it this past week when I would search for a product to find reviews or info and it would give me 10+ hits of just Amazon links.

Today, I thought I'd compare Bing to see what that does, and what do you know? Bing actually works like Google used to. I did a search for "miniature golf cheyenne" and Google stupidly shows me a whopping 10 entries all for a website called golflink.com, then the next 9 hits are for cheyenne.org/listings.

When I do the exact same search with Bing, 9 out of the first 10 hits are completely different websites.

Is there something wrong with my settings or does Google just absolutely suck now? (FYI: I am not signed into Google and never use local search setting or blocks)

Last edited by a moderator:
I never have anything but problems with google maps in terms of locking up or half the screen being stuck when I'm trying to zoom in whereas bing maps usually loads up super fast.

Never had a problem myself, google is still awesome. Delete your cookies? Do you have a G+ account? Maybe you have a weird setting? I don't use Bing just because it's M$ and Google is fine.

[quote name='Scorch']Isn't this just the search customizations thing that Google does?Try going here and disabling it.[/QUOTE]

Did this, thanks. Didn't change anything as I think the damage was already done, so...

[quote name='AvidWriter']Never had a problem myself, google is still awesome. Delete your cookies? Do you have a G+ account?[/QUOTE]

...a combo of all this and uninstalling Chrome from my computer looks like it did the trick. I honestly think the decline started right after I installed Chrome a few months ago. Installing Firefox 12 or 13 may have contributed as well. All I know is Google was the best thing around and whatever awful setting was secretly set should be properly labeled as suck.

I tend to use Bing for the free points now unless I can't find it with them. I have used Google to get the number for a restaurant that was close or for a store. Bing for some reason doesn't show them. I have had times when I have used Google it did show me the same site more than once however that site had more than one page on what I was searching for and each link was to another page. Biggest issue, and I have noticed it with Bing also, is that if what I'm looking for is a common issue with something and has multiple threads on message forums all the forums are the same just on a different site. Even the posts are all the same, but the forum may look different or be on a different web address.

The G+ that comes out in the search results is so annoying.
They should make it unsearchable like FB and twitter.

bread's done
Back