Wii U in China?

Lyth

CAG Veteran
Hi Everyone,

2 Months ago, I moved from Canada to China to work in IT and teaching.

I'm looking to buy a US/Canada model White 8GB Wii U, but unfortunately haven't found any place in China or Online that is a reasonable price.

Taobao (chinese ebay) has them, but it's hard for me to communicate with the seller as my Chinese is limited. Ebay has them for about a $50 markup, but shipping to China costs a lot of money.

I'm not opposed to buying one and having it shipped back home... but I'd prefer not to as it'd sit in the box for 3 more months, and I wouldn't be able to play it (obviously! xD ).

If someone could help me find one or something (preferably for the same price as the US), I'd be greatful. :)

EDIT: Or a link to a website that has them for little or no markup, and reasonable shipping to China?

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not illegal, they're grey area, and are becoming more legal as the PS3 just received recognition and had it's launch here.

I asked my students, and they didn't even know there was a "Wii U". They're just coming to terms with the Wii, so I don't think they understand.

I'll ask around on some chinese websites. Hopefully someone here can help too.

It's my understanding that they are illegal for sale, not for owning and use. That's why you have to go grey market to find them, and you will not find them in any retail store.

[quote name='Zaku77']It's my understanding that they are illegal for sale, not for owning and use. That's why you have to go grey market to find them, and you will not find them in any retail store.[/QUOTE]

But really isn't that much of a difference between "retail store" and "grey market," just where they get their stuff. There is nothing shady or underground like kotaku suggested.

OP: Do you have families or friends in US? You can ask them to order one from walmart and ship it to you.

OP,

Had I known you were looking for a white unit yesterday I would have picked one up and sold it to you at my cost (299.99 + 5% tax) and then the costs of USPS Shipping + insurance.

I will take a look next time I'm out but I don't live in a huge market and there are quite a few resellers so I don't expect any to be available.

[quote name='GBAstar']OP,

Had I known you were looking for a white unit yesterday I would have picked one up and sold it to you at my cost (299.99 + 5% tax) and then the costs of USPS Shipping + insurance.

I will take a look next time I'm out but I don't live in a huge market and there are quite a few resellers so I don't expect any to be available.[/QUOTE]

That'd be great if you could do that! I'd definitely be interested. Apparently there's tons availiable at stores in North America. I'd compare the price to the ones I can get on the Chinese ebay, which are like $400+.

I do have family in Canada, but they're disabled. They usually can only manage to order online, which is tricky for the console. I believe they picked me up some games.

Bump to keep this alive.

Wii U's here are over $400, for the basic white model.

I'm really eager to get one, so if someone could help me out it would be appreciated.

I figure it would be cheaper than $400 to have one sent here (even when including shipping and tax.). Hopefully I'm correct.

So if you have to get this from an underground market.. wouldn't customs screw you over? Since it is "illegal" to buy one I would assume you would have to get it from some underground way. You could get the person who sends it in trouble unless they use an alias or something. Just thinking *shrug*

Surprisingly not. They're not illegal to import in. I've already had a few game accessories, and games sent here. Not to mention, my PS2 from home is arriving tomorrow.

The Chinese law here is weird, it's not like it is back home. They stated that it's grey area to buy video game consoles, but they've never enforced it. Not even once. I can walk down the street, and I'll see many computer and game stores, however none of them carry the Wii U. It's too new.

Technically, the Wii U is made in China. If it's made here, it's allowed here.

The official ruling is "They're grey area to sell. Legal to buy, import and own". Only the store selling is the one that would have to be careful IF it was enforced.

I'm going to state this though: If someone is interested in doing this favour for me, we could estimate shipping to China. If it's too expensive, then we could have it sent to my house in Canada instead. That way, it'd be there for when I return.

[quote name='Lyth']
I'm going to state this though: If someone is interested in doing this favour for me, we could estimate shipping to China. If it's too expensive, then we could have it sent to my house in Canada instead. That way, it'd be there for when I return.[/QUOTE]

What would be the point of having someone buy one and have it shipped to your home in Canada so it would be there when you get home? Why not just go out and buy one when you get home?

bread's done
Back