The Gobbledy G00ker Wrestling Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
539 replies to this topic

#361 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

This is gonna sound dumb but the major reason I'm no longer interested in WWE is that it seems too real to me, with not enough reality. It's almost the opposite of "it's still real to me!"

The recurring storyline is that Undertaker is anything but an omnipotent zombie, but they still insist on the carny aspects of his character. Triple H really *was* with Stephanie the whole time. No matter how hated or liked he is, Cena will always be the main face on the card. The Rock is better than wrestling and even WWE seems to agree. No matter how awful and immobile he gets, Rey Mysterio is still one of the best high flyers in the world. I feel like all of this would be hard to swallow even if I was a kid.

I think you've just got to take it at face value. Of course it's fake, of course it's got some really stupid scripted parts, but it's also pretty entertaining (depending on who you ask). I followed the Attitude era tremendously back in the day, but I think right now they have a lot of good potential on the roster. They still do some really stupid shit (AJ/Vikki/Khali), but then you have moments where Cesaro, Kofi, Bryan, etc are pretty entertaining as well.

#362 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

The problem with today's WWE is that today's WWE is Joel Schumacher while the world is Christopher Nolan.

This is one reason why I say that the wrong wrasslin promotion won. WWE has never been great with original ideas. D-Generation X is a copy of the New World Order. The Attitude era, which everyone seems to love, is a copy of ECW. When WWE has to come up with their own ideas, they always fall flat. At this point, I'm blaming Vince, since he seems to have the last say.

ROH is pretty decent at "Nolan-izing" wrasslin. Shit, even TNA is doing a fine job trying their hand at creating a "Nolan-esque" wrasslin environment. WWE just doesn't get it, and those in power don't care because what they do still sells.

#363 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Can you elaborate on the Nolan-v-Schumacher issue you're getting at? I've seen a number of Nolan's films, but not Schumacher to my knowledge.
Posted Image

#364 Dr. Venkman

Dr. Venkman

Body Piercer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Can you elaborate on the Nolan-v-Schumacher issue you're getting at? I've seen a number of Nolan's films, but not Schumacher to my knowledge.

Schumacher:

The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981)
D.C. Cab (a.k.a. Street Fleet) (1983) (also Writer)
St. Elmo's Fire (1985)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Cousins (1989)
Flatliners (1990)
Dying Young (1991)
Falling Down (1993)
The Client (1994)
Batman Forever (1995)
A Time to Kill (1996)
Batman & Robin (1997)
8mm (1999) (also Producer)
Flawless (1999) (also Producer and Writer)
Tigerland (2000)
Bad Company (2002)
Phone Booth (2003)
Veronica Guerin (2003)
The Phantom of the Opera (2004) (also Writer)
The Number 23 (2007)
Blood Creek (2009)
Twelve (2010)
Trespass (2011)

There are a few gems there but it's mostly eyeball-rolling garbage.
I'm not yellow. I'm gold.

#365 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Sorry, I should have been better with my description.

It's more in regards to their respective Batman films. Schumacher made campy, brainless Batman films, while Nolan's Batman films feel realistic and are much more thoughtful.

#366 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Ahhhh. Cross my heart and hope to die, I never saw any of the Batman movies released between Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan.

I did see DC Cab and The Lost Boys, though.
Posted Image

#367 xilly

xilly

Snozberries?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

There are at least 6 great movies on that list. I wouldn't say it's mostly garbage - though there are some real stinkers.

Managing Editor - Frontburnr

Twitter - @sybaritictrance

#368 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'd hardly call the Nolan Batman films "realistic and thoughtful." They're still goofy comic book movies, just significantly higher quality ones.

No one post the Tony Atlas video. I saw the freeze frame on the video embed and that was more than enough. If you don't know what I' referring to, don't research it.

This is the meaning someone posted back in May on another forum:

Meaning - Kassius = Cassius, which is the name Muhammad Ali was born with. Ohno is a play on Sonny Onoo. K.O are the initials for the Young Knockout Kid and is what he's known for doing.

I said this when he was first given that name, but I'd wager it has nothing to do with Sonny Onoo. Hero was known for knocking people out, so the "Kassius" was an obvious nod to Ali, while the "Ohno" is from someone thinking Apollo Creed (who was based on Ali} and then Olympian Apolo Ohno, who was still kinda sorta a name people recognized when Hero got his name assignment.

#369 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

I hope the Shield interferes in the Cena-Ziggler match to prevent the injustice of Ziggler losing the briefcase to a guy who already blew his shot.

ach.pngthe_it_crowd_moss.jpg

#370 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

Yeah, Schumacher is a real hit-or-miss director. Also, to be perfectly honest I genuinely liked Batman Forever. I like how it actually delved into the psychological aspects of of the Batman persona. Of course you have to put up with Jim Carrey mugging at the camera for 100 minutes, but you take the good with the bad.

#371 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

I think you guys have completely missed the problem with the company. It's nothing to do with trying to draw comparisons to Christopher Nolan. That's just a waste of time.

The company actually needs to go back to its carny roots and think about what draws people to the company in the first place and what makes things entertaining. And no it isn't Hornswoggle.

There is legitimately nothing interesting going on in the company right now. Zack Ryder could have been huge for the company if they went out of their way to hide his weaknesses and emphasize his strengths and give the guy something to do. Brodus Clay could also have been huge and entertaining if they actually did something with his character beyond dancing to the ring. You had Daniel Bryan who had become the most legit-over guy after Wrestlemania and WWE threw all that heat away. For what? For what?

The company has blown A TON of opportunities. Way too many to count really. And it's been primarily because guys they didn't think could get over, were getting over. And instead of taking the ball and backing those guys, they Matt Hardy'd them all.

Guys like Steve Austin, The Rock, and Foley got over and drew money because the company backed them up when the time came. The only two people you can say that about in the company right now are Ryback and CM Punk. And now to a lesser degree, Cesaro. Fire Miz, Repackage Del Rio, Push Kingston, Push Bryan, Push Ambrose, Repackage Primo, Push Santino (in an underdog Foley/Mikey Whipwreck style world champion run and make it legit - remember the rumble when everyone went crazy), and Push Ryder.

Fixed - sorry Genocidal!

Edited by HeroToTheMasses, 13 December 2012 - 02:10 AM.

#372 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

A nice way to warm up for ROH Final Battle 2012... is by watching the match that started the war between Kevin Steen and El Generico...

New sig coming soon.

#373 mitch079

mitch079

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Anyone ever play any of the versions of Total Extreme Wrestling? There's a free beta out here for TEW 2013 - http://www.greydogso...ad.php?t=522222

Just wondering how the game plays. It sounds like it's a promoter simulator, which could be interesting.

#374 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Anyone ever play any of the versions of Total Extreme Wrestling? There's a free beta out here for TEW 2013 - http://www.greydogso...ad.php?t=522222

Just wondering how the game plays. It sounds like it's a promoter simulator, which could be interesting.

I've never played that, but I saw something on the WWE 13 board on GameFAQs about a game for iOS. Apparently, wrestlers die and kill each other behind the scenes and JR died of a heroin overdose on someone's game. It sounded pretty outlandish.

edit - Here it is. http://www.gamefaqs....wwe-13/64879882

#375 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Sounds pretty straight-up tasteless.
Posted Image

#376 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Sounds pretty straight-up tasteless.

That is pretty disgusting. Its a shame because the game doesnt look half bad, 100 times better than Pro Wrestling X garbage at least. I wont bother with it because of that nonsense though.

#377 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

http://www.grantland...rative-meddling

my favorite quote of the article: "I have started joking that somebody should start using a cross knee lock as a finishing move and call it 'A Visit to Dr. James Andrews.'"
Posted Image

#378 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

I've said this before, but it sums it up nicely:

WWE is the Walmart of professional wrestling.

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#379 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Dr. Thunder vs. Faded Glory in the ELIMINATION CHAMBER.
Posted Image

#380 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

my favorite quote of the article: "I have started joking that somebody should start using a cross knee lock as a finishing move and call it 'A Visit to Dr. James Andrews.'"

I always hoped somebody would do a neckbreaker to Kurt Angle during the latter portion of his WWE tenure and dub it "Paging Dr. Jho".

#381 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I've never played that, but I saw something on the WWE 13 board on GameFAQs about a game for iOS. Apparently, wrestlers die and kill each other behind the scenes and JR died of a heroin overdose on someone's game. It sounded pretty outlandish.

edit - Here it is. http://www.gamefaqs....wwe-13/64879882

Maybe it's because I've been near death quite a bit in my life, but the premise of this game sounds interesting. I'm all for a rogue-like wrasslin game where you take a wrassler through a 20-year career and have to watch him end up hobbling around due to injuries. Maybe he goes Benoit. Maybe he goes Pillman. I think the narrative could be interesting. Sorta like how The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke caught the attention of everyone, something like this could too if done right. *shrug*

I've said this before, but it sums it up nicely:

WWE is the Walmart of professional wrestling.

While I absolutely agree, I think the most popular of anything is tripe that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Take a look at all CBS programming. Just utter garbage—yet it gets more views than, say, House of Lies or Breaking Bad. And since we're on CheapAssGamer, take a look at video games. Call of Duty and Halo break records while stuff like Telltale's Walking Dead and XCOM make a fraction of those sales. We live in a world where mediocre is the LCD.

#382 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Dr. Thunder vs. Faded Glory in the ELIMINATION CHAMBER.

By night he's a lowly employee*, but when the lights are on, and the bell rings, Dr. Thunder brings the noise.

*tee hee....;)
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#383 mitch079

mitch079

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

While I absolutely agree, I think the most popular of anything is tripe that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Take a look at all CBS programming. Just utter garbage—yet it gets more views than, say, House of Lies or Breaking Bad. And since we're on CheapAssGamer, take a look at video games. Call of Duty and Halo break records while stuff like Telltale's Walking Dead and XCOM make a fraction of those sales. We live in a world where mediocre is the LCD.

That's because it is easy to market to and profitable. WWE has always been one big marketing machine.

#384 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Maybe it's because I've been near death quite a bit in my life, but the premise of this game sounds interesting. I'm all for a rogue-like wrasslin game where you take a wrassler through a 20-year career and have to watch him end up hobbling around due to injuries. Maybe he goes Benoit. Maybe he goes Pillman. I think the narrative could be interesting. Sorta like how The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke caught the attention of everyone, something like this could too if done right. *shrug*

Yeah, but.

JR OVERDOSES ON HEROIN.

That's just mad libs right there.
Posted Image

#385 mitch079

mitch079

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

True, had they said "chokes on a BBQ Rib", then it would work.

#386 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

Daily News:

Cena Done as Top Face?

Spoiler

Heel Face Turn?

Spoiler

Rock To Win Belt?

Spoiler

Wrestler Done With WWE?

Spoiler

#387 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

I know it isn't going to be him, but some of these 1.3.13 promos really remind me of some of the crazy shit that Ultimate Warrior used to ramble on and say in his wacko promos. Tonight's lines were a good example: He will descend upon them, and then something about a plague. Just really random crazy shit.
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#388 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

1) WWE has been already active in slowly turning Del Rio face, so that isn't news.

2) I wouldn't call "The Marine 2" acting experience. Perhaps that's just me.
Posted Image

#389 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

I still don't get get Alberto's name. I mean in spanish it sounds cool, but he's basically Alberto the River in english, that just sounds silly. Granted, I wouldn't bet on many fans realizing that.

edit- Yes I realize it's a real surname.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#390 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Oscar of the Basin.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus