(DEAD) LOTR: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Extended Edition] $39.99

Thanks. It doesn't mention the hobbit movie cash though. I was in my local best buy today and this set didn't have the movie cash even though it is supposed to.

I'd risk it if I didn't already order the Walmart theatrical trilogy with movie cash for $12.

wow, great deal just saw that, but already have the original set, tempting.
did grab journey 2 for 3.99 though.

Missed the Wal-Mart deal way back, not gonna miss this one. Been playing Lego Lord of the Rings so I've been itching to watch this.

[quote name='chunlirocks']is this the version with the blue/green issues i've read about ?
Any1 know ?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. But I've heard some people say you can barely notice it.

[quote name='chunlirocks']is this the version with the blue/green issues i've read about ?
Any1 know ?
Thanks[/QUOTE]
It's not an issue, it's what the director intended the picture to look like. I'd leave it to personal preference.

[quote name='anderson4145']It's not an issue, it's what the director intended the picture to look like. I'd leave it to personal preference.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't. If he intended it to look like that then you'd see it in the Theatrical versions too. Not to mention the flashback scenes in ROTK show the proper color. If he intended it to look like that then those scenes would be altered too.

Good deal, green tint doesn't bother me at all. But definitely drove the videophile types on Bluray.com and other sites nuts though.

So it just comes down to how much you notice color tints, how much you pay attention to picture quality etc.

Just a heads-up, if you just want the extended movies discs only and none of the DVD extras discs, Target has exclusive editions of each for $10 with $5 Hobbit Movie cash.

They look like this (credit Blu-ray.com):

03AA73D5-F714-4899-8BA4-1267B5DC2077-6175-00000A5BC619BC79.jpg

Aren't the extras DVDs that come with the Blu Ray versions all identical to those from the actual DVD extended editions? In other words, if I have the Extended DVDs, would I be losing anything by buying those cheap Target discs?

I believe they're nearly identical to the extended DVD sets. I think they only added a set of documentaries from Costa Botes on the making of the movies, which was only available in a Limited edition DVD set.

Are you all SURE this is the one with the green tint?

I just got my set from Amazon's DOTD, and it was the latest released one, and the issue was fixed. Sooo....

[quote name='ssjmichael']I believe they're nearly identical to the extended DVD sets. I think they only added a set of documentaries from Costa Botes on the making of the movies, which was only available in a Limited edition DVD set.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly correct. For each film in the trilogy set there are five discs: two Blu-ray discs for each film, the two bonus DVDs from the original Extended Editions and the bonus disc from the Limited Edition release (the DVD version with both the theatrical and extended versions via seamless branching on a two-sided flipper) that only contain the documentaries... if you have the DVD EE you're only missing out on the Costa Botes documentaries.

AFAIK the "issue" was never fixed: it's just not incredibly noticeable... molehill=mountain to some videophiles. At least it's not riddled with incredibly ugly DNR.

[quote name='ssjmichael']No it isn't. If he intended it to look like that then you'd see it in the Theatrical versions too. Not to mention the flashback scenes in ROTK show the proper color. If he intended it to look like that then those scenes would be altered too.[/QUOTE]
Yes it is "Both Peter Jackson and director of photography Andrew Lesnie have confirmed that the new color grade was intentional and was created under their supervision."
from http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Blu-ray/19929/

Wish someone would've told me about those Target exclusives before I paid $44 to amazon the other day :/ ....

Then again, the box art, case art, and everything else about this case is extremelyyyy nice.

I just know Ill probably never watch the special features, and I could've used that Hobbit cash

[quote name='anderson4145']Yes it is "Both Peter Jackson and director of photography Andrew Lesnie have confirmed that the new color grade was intentional and was created under their supervision."
from http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Blu-ray/19929/[/QUOTE]

There is no official or direct word from Peter Jackson about approving the transfer. It's just marketing.

Again I ask, why weren't the flashbacks in ROTK showing scenes from FOTR also tinted green? Why was the color only altered for Fellowship? Why didn't Jackson alter these for the theatricals when we know he had a hands on with that release?

[quote name='ssjmichael']There is no official or direct word from Peter Jackson about approving the transfer. It's just marketing.

Again I ask, why weren't the flashbacks in ROTK showing scenes from FOTR also tinted green? Why was the color only altered for Fellowship? Why didn't Jackson alter these for the theatricals when we know he had a hands on with that release?[/QUOTE]

Does this just happen for a few scenes or is it continual? I hadn't heard of this previously.

The entire movie was given a greenish/teal tint. It's not always as obvious in some scenes though. Also it's not as obvious if you're unaware of it, or without a side by side comparison.

With that said, the picture quality and level of detail is much better than what's found in the Motion Picture Blu version, they just tampered with the color timing for some reason, but left it alone for the last 2 movies.

Anyone know if the BB one has the digital copy codes inside? The copy I got from Amazon didn't have the digital copies anywhere.

[quote name='jling84']Anyone know if the BB one has the digital copy codes inside? The copy I got from Amazon didn't have the digital copies anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know as well. I read on Amazon's site that the codes expired back in June this year. Anyone buy the Best Buy box and get them?

Amazon has the first two movies on blu ray for like $4/ea. But not the last one. These are on different days for lightning deals. You could also pick up last now for $10 at target and have the whole set for about $18. Little better than the box deal, without some of the extras, depending on what that are worth to you.

For my part, I think I'll wait for a non-green tint version.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Those are for the theatrical versions though, not the extended[/QUOTE]

Actually they are the extended versions. Says it right in the title of the item.

[quote name='jling84']Actually they are the extended versions. Says it right in the title of the item.[/QUOTE]

I'm referring to the person above me who said:

[quote name='CGlade']Amazon has the first two movies on blu ray for like $4/ea. But not the last one. .[/QUOTE]

The first two movies that are $3.96 each on the schedule are the Theatrical versions, not the extended versions.

I too ordered from Amazon the other day and got no digital codes.

I emailed WBShop asking them about it and they forwarded me to wbdigitalcopy.com, and to take it up with them.

I emailed them explaining everything, and about how the codes were extended a few years. Hopefully they send me my codes...

How much extra does the entended edition have that the theatrical releases do not?

Basically, I think I'd like to have the extended editions but do not care a great deal about the special features. The Hobbit movie cash would be great though. Which is the endless routes of buying this is the best as of now? The target one of buying them individually?

Also, with the Hobbit coming out, wouldn't the price of these trilogy sets continue to do nothing but fall? Thinking you could get these trilogy extended editions for $20 if you waited a while longer. Is that off base?

[quote name='gldoorii']I'd like to know as well. I read on Amazon's site that the codes expired back in June this year. Anyone buy the Best Buy box and get them?[/QUOTE]

I did a store pickup today at Best Buy and got neither digital copies OR Hobbit Cash. Not really a big deal personally, though I certainly would have taken either.

[quote name='BoilerUp']Also, with the Hobbit coming out, wouldn't the price of these trilogy sets continue to do nothing but fall? Thinking you could get these trilogy extended editions for $20 if you waited a while longer. Is that off base?[/QUOTE]

I mean it's certainly possible, who would have ever thought Alien Anthology would be sitting at $20. But it could also sit at $40-50 for a few years as well. It can be hard to say.

Yeah I bought the Alien set when it was $30 about a month ago and thought it was the steal of a lifetime! I haven't had time to watch any of them yet, and now I see its $20! fuck!

This extened ed. box set definitely do not come with movie cash for the hobbit. i was in best buy again today and their entire stack of these had not hobbit movie money. i even had an associate check the backroom/warehouse for any "newer" arrivals. none of those had hobbit money either.

so i decided to keep my walmart order for the $10 theatrical box set and movie money.

[quote name='PublikDefender']This extened ed. box set definitely do not come with movie cash for the hobbit. i was in best buy again today and their entire stack of these had not hobbit movie money. i even had an associate check the backroom/warehouse for any "newer" arrivals. none of those had hobbit money either.

so i decided to keep my walmart order for the $10 theatrical box set and movie money.[/QUOTE]

$30 for the three separate extended movies at Target with 3 movie cash coupons isn't bad either, you know.

Okay this is a theory. Whenever a repackage occurs (steelbook, hmm, bonus or not) BBY has a different SKU and "release date"

See the top two:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8762589700479627025&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=lord+of+the+rings&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=-currentprice+skuid&qp=q6c6f7264206f66207468652072696e6773%7E%7Eccat02015%23%230%23%23p%7E%7Enf535%7C%7C426c752d7261792044697363&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

Pretty sure the 11-6 release has HMM and DC.
This was similar with the Madagascar 3 wig or rise of guardian hmm versions.

[quote name='Pounce!']Okay this is a theory. Whenever a repackage occurs (steelbook, hmm, bonus or not) BBY has a different SKU and "release date"

See the top two:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8762589700479627025&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=lord+of+the+rings&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=-currentprice+skuid&qp=q6c6f7264206f66207468652072696e6773%7E%7Eccat02015%23%230%23%23p%7E%7Enf535%7C%7C426c752d7261792044697363&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

Pretty sure the 11-6 release has HMM and DC.
This was similar with the Madagascar 3 wig or rise of guardian hmm versions.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too...as well as the ridiculous price tag.

If that edition DOES include digital copies, I'm going to be quite aggravated. The fact that between the last digital copy release prior to May 2012 and this "new" release, people bought that set, whether at full retail or Amazon/BBY deals, and got no extra.

I just finished emailing wbdigitalcopy.com's support team regarding the issue (they didn't have the option to ask a question about the entire set, so I had to choose each individual ExE movie and send different emails...).

Hopefully they're as helpful and eager to assist as BBY's Reward Zone customer service, for example. Not sure if they have their hands on the vouchers anywhere, or if they'll be clueless and unhelpful, but im hopeful. I really would like those digital copies.

Thanks SSJ, was considering getting the extended trilogy on blu, but will pass since I already own the DVD extended editions. Instead I got the Theatrical Trilogy Blu set, which is still $12.00 before tax & shipping at Walmart.com.

[quote name='jcp42877']I noticed that too...as well as the ridiculous price tag.

If that edition DOES include digital copies, I'm going to be quite aggravated. The fact that between the last digital copy release prior to May 2012 and this "new" release, people bought that set, whether at full retail or Amazon/BBY deals, and got no extra.

I just finished emailing wbdigitalcopy.com's support team regarding the issue (they didn't have the option to ask a question about the entire set, so I had to choose each individual ExE movie and send different emails...).

Hopefully they're as helpful and eager to assist as BBY's Reward Zone customer service, for example. Not sure if they have their hands on the vouchers anywhere, or if they'll be clueless and unhelpful, but im hopeful. I really would like those digital copies.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that first, more expensive SKU will have digital copies (just checked the one they gave me and it's the second). Usually, digital copies are limited to the first run as an incentive and don't come back during subsequent printings. The digital copies from the version you and I have aren't missing, they're simply not part of the deal. If you look at the original box, digital copies are clearly marketed as part of the package, not so on our sku:

http://images.blu-ray.com/movies/covers/12237_back.jpg

You still may very well be able to get WB to give you digital copies, but if you do it will be out of the goodness of their heart, not because they owe you.

[quote name='Kazuya']I doubt that first, more expensive SKU will have digital copies (just checked the one they gave me and it's the second). Usually, digital copies are limited to the first run as an incentive and don't come back during subsequent printings. The digital copies from the version you and I have aren't missing, they're simply not part of the deal. If you look at the original box, digital copies are clearly marketed as part of the package, not so on our sku:

http://images.blu-ray.com/movies/covers/12237_back.jpg

You still may very well be able to get WB to give you digital copies, but if you do it will be out of the goodness of their heart, not because they owe you.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm quite aware I'm not entitled to them. I'm just hoping playing the "clueless customer" card will help, especially since I worded my emails very politely.

But what you said about the first-run incentives: I bought the Taken bluray a few weeks ago when it was $9.99 at BBY, and it still had a digital copy in it. One that said it "may not be useable" past May 2011 of course, but still in there...AND it was the copy with Taken 2 moviecash.

I just think for a set like this that was $99.99 at most stores not even a week and a half ago (prior to all these pre-BF deals), should at least throw in the digital copies seeing as how expensive the set is.

Especially with how all these other movies are coming out in uber-combo packs for $19.99 or less on release (looking at you $20 Avengers 3D/Blu/DVD/DC/MP3 combo :D )

[quote name='jcp42877']But what you said about the first-run incentives: I bought the Taken bluray a few weeks ago when it was $9.99 at BBY, and it still had a digital copy in it. One that said it "may not be useable" past May 2011 of course, but still in there...AND it was the copy with Taken 2 moviecash.[/QUOTE]

I've had this happen too, but I think these are still just original run copies that haven't sold. I think they slap the movie cash stickers on unsold stock and send them on their way.

Either way, I'll be interested in seeing if you get digital copies. :D

Just picked up all 3 separate Extended Edition movies at Target for $30 + tax. Each one has $5 of movie cash, so that's like $15 for the extended trilogy since I'll be seeing the Hobbit in theaters.

[quote name='Kazuya']I've had this happen too, but I think these are still just original run copies that haven't sold. I think they slap the movie cash stickers on unsold stock and send them on their way.

Either way, I'll be interested in seeing if you get digital copies. :D[/QUOTE]

Ill keep ya posted!

bread's done
Back