wii u in stock in walmart.com

I really think a lot of the people who bought these just to resell are going to be in for a rude awakening. I don't think it's going to be anything like with the Wii's and PS3's, making HUGE profits, but who knows...

I'm hoping consumers have gotten smarter and realize if they search hard enough or you know, just wait a couple months, they can save hundreds of dollars by avoiding scalpers.

[quote name='JKSonic']I really think a lot of the people who bought these just to resell are going to be in for a rude awakening. I don't think it's going to be anything like with the Wii's and PS3's, making HUGE profits, but who knows...

I'm hoping consumers have gotten smarter and realize if they search hard enough or you know, just wait a couple months, they can save hundreds of dollars by avoiding scalpers.[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm keepingu receipt.

Certain items I can flip for a few bucks here and there (like preorder codes I dont want), but the big ticket items I just can't. It goes just beyond the line of scumbag I feel.

I'm glad these are showing up in stores and people are having an easier time getting them than past launches. I feel bad for those who resort to ebay. Every console launch its the same crap and it depresses me greatly.

This time at least some resellers got screwed by the lack of demand and plenty of stock. Looking at ebay right now, tons of idiots trying to sell the $299 version for $380-400 with free shipping. Think about the tax and shipping costs and that's not much profit.

Lol, you guys are kidding yourselves. The shopping season hasn't even started. Global launch equals shortages. They can't get enough 14 year old Chinese to make these quick enough. Let's fast forward a couple of weeks then we'll decide if there is profit to be had.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Certain items I can flip for a few bucks here and there (like preorder codes I dont want), but the big ticket items I just can't. It goes just beyond the line of scumbag I feel.

I'm glad these are showing up in stores and people are having an easier time getting them than past launches. I feel bad for those who resort to ebay. Every console launch its the same crap and it depresses me greatly.

This time at least some resellers got screwed by the lack of demand and plenty of stock. Looking at ebay right now, tons of idiots trying to sell the $299 version for $380-400 with free shipping. Think about the tax and shipping costs and that's not much profit.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget eBay fee of 10% + PayPal 3% fee. If they sell it for 400 then that's $52 in fees + 300 cost + probably $20 shipping, insurance, and signature required + sales tax. At a 400 sell price they will make maybe $10 -$20 depending on actual shipping costs + sales tax where purchased. That's way too low. Making 20 on something you spent 20 on is one thing but to throw down $300 to make 10-20 is just stupid.

This will be the first Ninty console in ages I've avoided at launch. Liked my Wii, but just can't justify the price of the Wii U and lack of any games I really want yet. Give me a new Zelda or Mario (Galaxy or otherwise, not just NSMB) and I'll definitely bite though.

I'm pretty leery of launch consoles anyways since my 60GB PS3 crapped the bed less than two years after I bought it. First and only console that has ever gone bad on me (well, unless you count the NES and having to clean the contacts, haha)

[quote name='Double-J']Liked my Wii, but just can't justify the price of the Wii U and lack of any games I really want yet. Give me a new Zelda or Mario (Galaxy or otherwise, not just NSMB) and I'll definitely bite though.[/QUOTE]

I never owned a Wii, but I'd buy a WiiU if it got some HD Collections of Wii games (like the Metroid Prime trilogy, Mario Galaxy 1-2, etc.) or even single Wii games in HD like Xenoblade. But knowing Nintendo they'll do everything except what I'd like them to do.

I'm liking my WiiU like I like my 3DS... great system, good concepts, but where the games? My wife and I are tearing through NSMB WU and will probably be done in a week... or fewer considering there are holidays. Might pick up Mickey 2 or Scribblenauts just out of desperation.

As for this deal... Honestly, bundles are in stock in a lot of places, but considering it only makes you buy a game (which you would buy anyway), this is the best bundle deal if you don't mind the not DX version. Owning the DX version, I can't say there really is much extra going for it unless you really like Nintendoland, and Downloadable game storage will need an external drive for either system anyway.

I'm liking my WiiU like I like my 3DS... great system, good concepts, but where the games? My wife and I are tearing through NSMB WU and will probably be done in a week... or fewer considering there are holidays. Might pick up Mickey 2 or Scribblenauts just out of desperation.

Well it's a launch so there's never many games...in fact seems like there's more than usual either out or coming out soon. Their mistake IMO was releasing ANOTHER "New" SMB game instead of doing something amazing to really showcase the tablet's capabilities. It should have been a direct sequel to Mario 64 (again, IMO) with a trip back to the castle setting and themed levels.

I still just can't justify one until I at least know what MS and Sony are doing, both what they're hardware will be and when it's coming out. Looking at newer games like AssCreed3, Halo 4, even PC ports like The Witcher 2...I honestly still pretty happy with my 360 anyway. The biggest advantage with the Wii U would be being able to play a full-on console game at the same time my Wife is watching TV...but that's not enough for me to get one.

[quote name='foinecrewx']Recently sold my EXTRA Wii U Black Deluxe on ebay for $540. Fair profit for me especially in this kind of economic.[/QUOTE]

I have to say...no offense to you, I'm not even touching on scalping...but anybody who buys a console for that much over retail THIS SOON after launch is pretty much, well pretty much an idiot. Got to at least give it a chance and check around for a few weeks. Or people really wanted one AT LAUNCH they should have waited in line or preordered and saved hundreds of dollars.

Bought 2 Deluxe Wii U. Sold one and still have one more Deluxe in hand. Think I am gonna keep it. Tempting to sell it though with that kind of profit. hm........decision decision

[quote name='foinecrewx']Recently sold my EXTRA Wii U Black Deluxe on ebay for $540. Fair profit for me especially in this kind of economic.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. That's awesome. There are a lot of people who are willing to pay a premium not to have to go out and fight for one. You performed a service, you took a risk, and you should be compensated for it. It's simple economics and market forces. It's not evil, it's good, and we're damned lucky to live in a place that lets the buyers and sellers decide what to and what not to buy, and at what price.

[quote name='JKSonic']I have to say...no offense to you, I'm not even touching on scalping...but anybody who buys a console for that much over retail THIS SOON after launch is pretty much, well pretty much an idiot. Got to at least give it a chance and check around for a few weeks. Or people really wanted one AT LAUNCH they should have waited in line or preordered and saved hundreds of dollars.[/QUOTE]

while ill agree who ever bought it has lot money to spare an value his time over money spent for him 500 doing nothing was worth more then saving couple hundred an waiting driving around everywhere looking for said item

That's not bad, you made what, about $75 after all is said and done? Much better than the white units which still seem to be widely available. Those guys are going to start returning them I bet. The eBay and Paypal fees alone at that sale price would be $70!

Theres no point in buying a wii u right now. Most of the launch games can be had for much cheaper on other platforms (that we all have). Zombi u is meh and mario is literally a clone of the previous ones released on the ds/3ds and nsmb wii. Ill wait till next black friday

[quote name='strait edge follower']Theres no point in buying a wii u right now. Most of the launch games can be had for much cheaper on other platforms (that we all have). Zombi u is meh and mario is literally a clone of the previous ones released on the ds/3ds and nsmb wii. Ill wait till next black friday[/QUOTE]

Same here. With a new Xbox coming out (and possibly the PS4) next year, I'd expect either a 50 or 100 MSRP drop on the Wii U + some nice bundles for sale. Meanwhile the other new consoles will come with nothing.

[quote name='Blaster man']That's not bad, you made what, about $75 after all is said and done? Much better than the white units which still seem to be widely available. Those guys are going to start returning them I bet. The eBay and Paypal fees alone at that sale price would be $70![/QUOTE]

Nah, got it from Target with Red Card 5% discount + Free Ship + 5% Rebate Sites. After all that ebay fees and paypal fees. I would say about $120 give or take. Being top rated seller 20% discount final value fees helps. Money is money but I think I will keep the other one =)

[quote name='jimmywolf13']while ill agree who ever bought it has lot money to spare an value his time over money spent for him 500 doing nothing was worth more then saving couple hundred an waiting driving around everywhere looking for said item[/QUOTE]

Sure, to him it was worth it maybe...but that just says even more negative things about our society if somebody would rather spent what basically 40% over retail just to be lazy? And the idea of preorders negates having to drive around or what in line, so...

I'm living a decent middle class life myself, sometimes dipping closer to lower-middle but always holding on. Know what I did when I had an extra Wii (which truly was an extra one as a backup in case my first fell through)? I put it up with a buy it now $50 above retail so I would at least not take a dip into the red with it...

I'm not here to argue about it, if people want to blow their money let them blow it. The problem I DO have with it, is that this whole system makes it very hard (if not impossible) for many of the people out there who actually want the systems to get them. It's not people selling their systems they're done with or didn't want, it's people purposely buying them (and taking them away from people who actually want them to play them) to make a profit. There's a difference... Same with people crying "it's just capitalism" no, no it's not.

[quote name='charlescheese']Congrats. That's awesome. There are a lot of people who are willing to pay a premium not to have to go out and fight for one. You performed a service, you took a risk, and you should be compensated for it. It's simple economics and market forces. It's not evil, it's good, and we're damned lucky to live in a place that lets the buyers and sellers decide what to and what not to buy, and at what price.[/QUOTE]

You basically stated what a free market is. While I totally agree with you, the buyers paying a really expensive price are still idiots.

Perfect example is it's in stock right now. When did this console come out? Wasn't it just yesterday. Serves the dumbass buyers right for paying such a high price.

What would be even funnier is to see some flippers/scalpers get stuck with the unit. Which also might happen to a few who thought they would buy multiple units to flip.

IMO its not worth the hassle and risk for $100 bucks. After ebay fees and everything these guys are making like $100 profit. Kind of a joke really. I just made half that flipping two games though I still call it a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RainFall']It's interesting how much people really hate capitalism, yet vote for or champion it, especially in these forums.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree. All I see is re: post on craigslist of losers complaining about how people are scumbags for reselling this console at launch because it's ruining a kids Christmas. Times like these make me happy that I don't buy new consoles unless they are in the clearance section.

Wait a couple weeks. These will be a hot Christmas item. I haven't seen one in a store yet. Definitely not as hot as the original Wii...but I'm predicting high Ebay values before Christmas.

I didn't preorder this one like I did the Wii. I'm just not that excited about it. It doesn't seem as ground breaking or cool, and the player with the touchscreen controller seems to have an unfair advantage over the other players in the games I've seen. If that becomes a common complaint, they might release a 2.0 version where you can use multiple touchscreen controllers (or can you do that already?).

[quote name='Rictor']Wait a couple weeks. These will be a hot Christmas item. I haven't seen one in a store yet. Definitely not as hot as the original Wii...but I'm predicting high Ebay values before Christmas.

I didn't preorder this one like I did the Wii. I'm just not that excited about it. It doesn't seem as ground breaking or cool, and the player with the touchscreen controller seems to have an unfair advantage over the other players in the games I've seen. If that becomes a common complaint, they might release a 2.0 version where you can use multiple touchscreen controllers (or can you do that already?).[/QUOTE]

You can use two...not sure if they upped it to four. It's just right NOW they're not selling the extra tablet controllers because no games utilize them for more than one person using it.

I've decided to wait on the Wii U. Eventually I'll find someone selling theirs on CraigsList for less than retail, and there will be more games available that I want, also at a lower price. It happens with every console but by that time I've always gotten impatient and bought the system new. Not this time. Right now they're $400-$500 in my area.

[quote name='Fabrizo']There's tons of them on ebay for the regular price. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500430[/QUOTE]

Off-topic, but have you noticed how many Twinkies are being auctioned since the Hostess bankruptcy announcement?

[quote name='Blaster man']Same here. With a new Xbox coming out (and possibly the PS4) next year, I'd expect either a 50 or 100 MSRP drop on the Wii U + some nice bundles for sale. Meanwhile the other new consoles will come with nothing.[/QUOTE]

Something is telling me the new consoles will probably have high MSRPs and copy the "subsidization model" from mobile phones.

$299 + 24 Months Xbox live contract. yuck.

[quote name='Dozens']Something is telling me the new consoles will probably have high MSRPs and copy the "subsidization model" from mobile phones.

$299 + 24 Months Xbox live contract. yuck.[/QUOTE]
It'll probably be closer to $99 + 24 months OR $599

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Nintendo 64 came out with 2 games. Anyone old enough to remember that? Lol[/QUOTE]
seriously?!:roll: I was around for SNES, hell even had a NES at launch.....remember those;)

Deluxe units are widely available in central Indiana. They are present in virtually every retailer.

I think people were fooled on the original wii and refuse to pay such a high price on wii 1.5.

[quote name='shadowkast']seriously?!:roll: I was around for SNES, hell even had a NES at launch.....remember those;)[/QUOTE]

I think NES came out with Mario and Duck Hunt only. Ah, those were the good old days.

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Nintendo 64 came out with 2 games. Anyone old enough to remember that? Lol[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah. At least one was Mario 64 though. I remember when Wave Race 64 came out a couple weeks later everyone grabbed it up like crazy. Pretty much any game that came out prior to Christmas for the 64 that year sold like crazy. Killer Instinct Gold, Shadows of the Empire, Cruisn' USA - all pretty much meh games, but they flew off the shelves.

Mario U and NintendoLand will be great for my sons, but other than games I already have on another system the launch is pretty tame for things I like. Lots of great stuff early next year though! Rayman & Pikmen especially! Also given we are Nintendo game fanatics, I know the system will get lots of use in the future.

I just hope they choose to go another direction with Zelda this time, Skyward Sword was just so bleh. Last two times they tried to mix up the formula (Wind Waker and Zelda 2) the fanboys revolted. I still consider Wind Waker to be the best one yet, sunken treasure hunt and all. It definitely has the best music of the series.

[quote name='Fabrizo']There's tons of them on ebay for the regular price. It's clearly not in demand the same way the original Wii was when released.

Plus it seems to have been far from a smooth launch:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500430[/QUOTE]
Many of those issues were reported by the press even before launch, so I hope people didn't just buy into the hype again. I'd honestly like to see Nintendo burn for this and finally go the route of Sega. They're so disconnected with what gaming is anymore that they're squandering good franchises on horrible hardware. I'd pick up an S/NES controller for some classic zelda or w/e before ever touching a wii console.

bread's done
Back