Photo
- - - - -

Unadvertised Best Buy Black Friday Offers Now Live - Playstation 3D Display $99.99

• Please log in to reply
1539 replies to this topic

#1501 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Yeah this is typical for this display.

I really wish this display didn't ghost/smear as much as it does. Playing Black Ops 2 is pretty darn painful. Black door handles on white doors... lord...
www.bighugenerd.com

#1502 stewie75

stewie75

JoeyJoeJoeJrShabadoo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

I'm gonna have to contact these fuckers - still no killzone trilogy bundle.

#1503 napmaster

napmaster

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

for the guys with the 3D Display, does the display 3Dify anything you throw on it?

meaning Netflix etc..

I watched Brave 3D yesterday and it actually worked using the Top and Bottom 3D setting. It's not going to turn every movie into 3D. The title has to have the "3D" in it. I don't use netflix btw.
Some games also work in 3D on my pc. I know Hitman Absolution does, but ghosting is a problem even if I turn down the 3D intensity.
Even though the 3D is cool, the monitor makes games and movies look "cloudy".

#1504 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

And the flicker of death begins!

#1505 Hibiwa

Hibiwa

Blue Exorcist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

And the flicker of death begins!

Damn, that didn't last. You only posted several hours ago that it was OK. Did you lower any of the brightness settings beforehand?

I better start testing it out while there's still a chance of a store exchange. Has anyone ever been able to exchange an online order with store stock? Their return and exchange policy sounds more like a refund only.

Sorry to hear it's gone downhill already.

#1506 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Damn, that didn't last. You only posted several hours ago that it was OK. Did you lower any of the brightness settings beforehand?

I better start testing it out while there's still a chance of a store exchange. Has anyone ever been able to exchange an online order with store stock? Their return and exchange policy sounds more like a refund only.

Sorry to hear it's gone downhill already.

I know, right? It flickered twice in one hour last night. I adjusted my settings according to one of the previous guide posts in this thread. It hasn't flickered at all today but I've only been on it about 1.5 hours.

#1507 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I watched Brave 3D yesterday and it actually worked using the Top and Bottom 3D setting.

So you don't have to choose between being a Top or a Bottom?

Seriously, did you watch it on BD? If so, why would you use the T&B setting?

#1508 gokou36

gokou36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I turned my volume all the way down but every now and then the volume setting would just pop up for no reason. Anyone else have this issue?

#1509 Hibiwa

Hibiwa

Blue Exorcist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Hooked Roku up for a spin, and the PQ on a HD stream looked brilliant and sharp even with the brightness and backlight turned down. The mirror glare is crazy with any room light though. Luckily I like to watch movies in the dark.

Have to move some stuff around to test gaming on PS3, and then the standalone 3D blu-ray player to see how well that works on a small screen.

Speaking of which, I can't even tell if there is a protective film on the screen/bezel. If it exists, it can stay. All that remains is to dig up a universal remote to remedy the annoying back buttons. Oh yeah, getting the display to "click" down onto the stand hasn't. Just. Won't. Click.

#1510 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

I'm worried about my Sony 3D monitor not arriving yet. Just like all my other orders I got notification that the shipping label had been created but unlike everything else I have yet to receive an update and the website still shows the same status. I checked the original shipping confirmation email and it estimated delivery by 12/5 which is Wednesday. The extra set of 3D glasses I ordered in the same order arrived today but it's tracking status updated regularly. Hopefully it arrives by Friday, 12/7 at the latest which would be a nice birthday surprise. I'm not holding my breathe though. If I still haven't received it by then I'll contact BestBuy and/or UPS.

#1511 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Got a HDMI cable for my Macbook. Kind of wish text was more sharp but I like it on the display.

ITS%20DAT%20DAM%20KID.png

#1512 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Crap load of static through the headphone jack. Would a ground loop isolater help? They're usually for getting rid of static in car stereos (through the MP3 jack), but I feel like giving it a try: http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

#1513 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Returning my PS display. The smearing/ghosting/crappy headphone jack just blows.

Picked up an Asus VH236H today, and it's amazingly good. Colors are much cleaner, input lag is NON-existent, ghosting is ZERO, no reflections at all, better sound through the built-in speakers, and no static/hiss through the audio out/headphone out. It's also 9 inches narrower despite only being 1 inch smaller viewing area. Oh, and you can mount it on a desk stand/wall mount etc, which you can't with the PS Display. It's only $130 on Amazon right now after $20 rebate.

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=vh236h

I recommend anyone who needs a good gaming monitor and doesn't care about 3D pick up one of these bad boys. There's a reason it's the official gaming monitor of the MLG.
www.bighugenerd.com

#1514 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Returning my PS display. The smearing/ghosting/crappy headphone jack just blows.

Picked up an Asus VH236H today, and it's amazingly good. Colors are much cleaner, input lag is NON-existent, ghosting is ZERO, no reflections at all, better sound through the built-in speakers, and no static/hiss through the audio out/headphone out. It's also 9 inches narrower despite only being 1 inch smaller viewing area. Oh, and you can mount it on a desk stand/wall mount etc, which you can't with the PS Display. It's only $130 on Amazon right now after $20 rebate.

I recommend anyone who needs a good gaming monitor and doesn't care about 3D pick up one of these bad boys. There's a reason it's the official gaming monitor of the MLG.

Tempted. How'd you return the PS display, in store?

#1515 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Use two of them myself. Once I found out Evo used them, I was sold. Used to be into mostly fighting games, so I know how serious input lag is.

#1516 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

Tempted. How'd you return the PS display, in store?

Yes. Trust me (always trust someone who says that! :D). Once you go with the VH236H, you'll wonder how you lived without it. I'm truly a much better gamer now, especially at Call of Duty Black Ops 2, where the difference between this monitor and others (including the PS Display) is the difference between life and death. I also beat my high score at Geometry Wars 2 this evening, so take that for what it's worth. :D

Oh, and it goes WAY brighter than the PS Display. I had to turn the brightness down a ton, especially since there's no reflections at all due to the matte finish.

FYI, it passes the Hot Shots Golf PS3 challenge. That is, most TVs/panels I've used simply make it impossible to play the game, since the timing for it needs to be perfect. The Asus passes this test with flying colors!

Use two of them myself. Once I found out Evo used them, I was sold. Used to be into mostly fighting games, so I know how serious input lag is.

Yeah it really is amazing how it makes such a huge difference. I also find the CCFL of this monitor to be much easier on the eyes than LED-backlit tech of newer LCDs, which is a major plus for my eyes.

I know it sounds like I'm just gushing, but this monitor is just damn amazing. :D
www.bighugenerd.com

#1517 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I managed to find a solution to the headphone jack being installing InsomniaX on my Macbook Pro so I can use the headphone jack located on my Macbook Pro with the lid closed, instead of the display. Crystal clear sound. Only works when I'm using it as a computer monitor, but that's really all I needed in the first place. I never wear headphones when playing my games.

#1518 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

(Knowledge about the ASUS VH236H)

Took your advice entirely. BB took the PS display back no problem in store. Ordered the VH236H from Amazon and it showed up today. This thing def kicks ass, but the backlight bleeding along the top edge isn't too pretty. Any settings you recommend after using it a while?

#1519 thunder_gamer

thunder_gamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Got a quick question. Managed to get one of the display. But reading on the experiences of others makes me want to get warranty for it. Which one should I go for? Best Buy one or SquareTrade?

Thanks in advance.

#1520 htz

htz

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Got a quick question. Managed to get one of the display. But reading on the experiences of others makes me want to get warranty for it. Which one should I go for? Best Buy one or SquareTrade?

Thanks in advance.

Squaretrade, if they can't fix it, they give you your money back.

#1521 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks in advance.

I spoke with someone from Square Trade and they told me to put in the retail value since I got it for so cheap (I paid $65 after using Reward Zone Certificates). The Best Buy website had it listed for $180, so I used that price and provided a screenshot of the page. Now if it breaks, I can get $180.
Edit: Paid $20 for 3 years of coverage.

#1522 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

For anyone that got a display these $10 remotes from Target work right out of the box with no programming.

Posted Image

#1523 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Welp, sad to report, guys...my display went out just a little over an hour ago....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Tried everything, and nothing works.

Needless to say, I'm down about it. *sigh*, to best buy I go.

#1524 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

Joy, my display just took a shit. Blinking red light. Fun.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1525 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

lol two in a row

#1526 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

I don't even want to deal with customer service. I'll have to wait for them to ship me a box, send it in, wait a couple weeks, get another unit back, have that one crap out in another month, rinse and repeat. The worse part is that this was such a good deal so much so that it can't be replicated. Where else am I going to find a 24 inch 3D monitor for $100? Nowhere. I was looking at that Asus that someone mentioned, but that's $60 more and without 3D capabilities. Total bummer.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1527 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Since it's been past 30 days, is it too late to buy a Squaretrade warranty? I don't want to deal with shipping it to Sony only to get another faulty monitor and deal with this all over again. I'd rather just get my money back.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1528 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Since it's been past 30 days, is it too late to buy a Squaretrade warranty? I don't want to deal with shipping it to Sony only to get another faulty monitor and deal with this all over again. I'd rather just get my money back.

Too late for square trade. But because of the holidays, you can probably still bring it back to Best Buy. I think it's 60 days for holiday returns. Just say you got it for Christmas and it crapped out on you the day after or something like that.

#1529 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Too late for square trade. But because of the holidays, you can probably still bring it back to Best Buy. I think it's 60 days for holiday returns. Just say you got it for Christmas and it crapped out on you the day after or something like that.

Oh god, I don't want to gather everything up and lug it back to Best Buy, especially since my closest BB is 80 miles away.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1530 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

My 3D display is flashing red. DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT

ITS%20DAT%20DAM%20KID.png