Photo
- - - - -

Unadvertised Best Buy Black Friday Offers Now Live - Playstation 3D Display $99.99

• Please log in to reply
1539 replies to this topic

#211 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hey Peeps!:D

I know some of you were debating getting a TV or the 3D display.

I just got this:http://www.amazon.co....ywords=40E220U for $179 + tax at CompUSA to use as a bedroom TV! RUNNNNNNN and see if your store has some left!!!!!!

http://www.tigerdire....h1o9JxY30Ot5kw

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#212 KryllFood

KryllFood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I got the PS3 3D Display back when BB had it on sale for 199...Whenever a new deal pops up and everyone's unsure of getting it, I feel a need to unload all the info I have on it. Here's everything you need to know about the display...flaws and all:

- No remote...easily remedied by ANY Sony brand remote control (they all work out of box without having to be programmed). So you're in luck if you have a Sony TV or HTSS.

- Edge-lit LED -- you will see a slight color difference on the edges of dark screens.
- Besides above, it is an extremely crisp visual. You'd be hard pressed to spot "pixels" like you normally could on standard computer monitors.
- No TV tuner
- 2 HDMI ports (no other inputs)

- PC use via HDMI -> DVI converter cable or adapter works fine (if your video card doesn't have HDMI out)

- TV is built for broadcast color spaces. Therefore, sharp red text on dark backgrounds will look fuzzy when being used as a computer monitor. There is no way to remedy this. You can adjust sharpness settings but that combo of red and black will never look perfect...just less bad.

- 3D use for PC works but will require:
--- EDIF Override for monitor
--- nVidia 3DTV Play compatible graphics card
--- nVidia 3DTV Play software (not nVision software which is older and requires IR emitter)
--- nVidia forceware drivers no higher than 296.10 (which can cause newer games to run slower than they should w/ updated drivers)

- Without the above, you can still simulate 3D with 3D applications that allow manual setting of "Side by Side" 3D but expect it to be slow and ugly.
- 3D's highest setting is limited to 1920x1080@24fps
- 240 Hz claim on box is false...it is "emulated"
- Speakers are hardly useful

- **** Flicker of Death ****
--- Anyone that has researched this display well will learn of something called the death flicker which starts with the monitor flickering off every now and then for a few seconds then coming back until one day it just doesn't power back on.
--- There has been NO official fix for this and it is apparently a flaw with ALL monitors, there have been no "stocked" hardware revisions therefore buying a warranty and replacing it in-store is only delaying the inevitable.
--- Only true fix from reported victims of the flaw is sending it to Sony and receiving a replacement from factory. Sony has a manufacturer's 1 year warranty in case yours does die.
--- Other homebrew potential fixes include:
----- Fan on back panel...low success rate, seems that some people encountered the issue only due to heat generation of the panel.
----- Others have found that the possible cause of flicker of death is due to the monitor being set to "demo" mode to stand out at stores. (high brightness, backlight, contrast, color, etc...)
----- My findings from research and from personal use with my own monitor (which has been successfully running without issues for over 4 months) is to immediately lower your settings to 5-7 backlight / 60-80 brightness / sharpness 1-2 / color <50 / and contrast 70-80...This will put significantly less strain on the monitor and likely keep it running.

Any other info needed, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help. I've done a ton of research on this thing to make sure mine doesn't go up in smoke.

#213 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the useful info -- you sure know your product well.

#214 thebert

thebert

In The Friend Zone

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Was kinda psyched for the $99 display, because you can't beat a price like that, but with all the negative reviews, I think I'll pass.

I also was originally interested in the "SimulView" technology, but upon further investigation, it seems like it's just limited to a few games, and it seems like you can buy almost any passive 3d tv, take two cheap passive glasses, and make one only left lenses and the other only right lenses, and you have a simulview tv with compatibility with any split screen game. There are videos on youtube, and seems simple. I think I'll take my $99 and put it towards a better 3d tv.

#215 tmly

tmly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Since we're on the topic of defective products, Sleeping Dogs froze on me constantly when I rented from Redbox for 360. The screen would freeze or it would be at a loading screen indefinitely. I finally gave up after 2 hrs, but it was fun when I could play it. There's something about video game characters cursing in Cantonese that gives me a chuckle.

#216 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I would imagine there's a patch for it now. The game ran beautifully for me on my PS3 and was really fun.

#217 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

It has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 Component input.

#218 TheyCallMeMoney

TheyCallMeMoney

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

I bought the ps3 3d display this past Saturday. Would I be able to take the receipt and get the price difference?

#219 doc_j88

doc_j88

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Since we're on the topic of defective products, Sleeping Dogs froze on me constantly when I rented from Redbox for 360. The screen would freeze or it would be at a loading screen indefinitely. I finally gave up after 2 hrs, but it was fun when I could play it. There's something about video game characters cursing in Cantonese that gives me a chuckle.

Bolded and underlined is what your problem was

#220 UnseenGamer7

UnseenGamer7

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

between 6-7 AM EST on Thursday morning.

Thanks for the info.. Hopefully I get lucky when everything goes live online

#221 usagi

usagi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

I bought the ps3 3d display this past Saturday. Would I be able to take the receipt and get the price difference?

YMMV because their policy states they do not price match Black Friday prices.

#222 9999

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not but I have a question regarding the 3D Sony monitor.

Let's say worse case scenario, I buy one and it dies on me.

Do I just RMA it back to Sony?
Is it free shipping to send it back to them? If not, how much are we looking at around to do so?

I'm just trying to outweigh the "cheap deal" over "replacement nightmare" scenario.

Perhaps someone that has already gone through the Sony RMA process could better answer this question.

#223 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

i'm going to chance the 3d display. i wish i could grab it now and PM later. Not only is that doubtful (or a flat out no), it would be a nightmare doing that on BF.

#224 Ace69

Ace69

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

So the online prices won't be live at midnight correct?

#225 TheyCallMeMoney

TheyCallMeMoney

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

YMMV because their policy states they do not price match Black Friday prices.

I guess I could try buying a new one on BF and returning it with old receipt. I'm not gonna camp to do it though. I'll drive by later on BF.

#226 DjDonFrancisco

DjDonFrancisco

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'll take Sleeping Dogs for $25

#227 legendarydogs

legendarydogs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

I want to get 007 legends but $25 is too steep.

#228 UnseenGamer7

UnseenGamer7

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

So the online prices won't be live at midnight correct?

I think it is kind of random when they go online to be honest, I just hope it's all available online

#229 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I got the PS3 3D Display back when BB had it on sale for 199...Whenever a new deal pops up and everyone's unsure of getting it, I feel a need to unload all the info I have on it. Here's everything you need to know about the display...flaws and all:

- No remote...easily remedied by ANY Sony brand remote control (they all work out of box without having to be programmed). So you're in luck if you have a Sony TV or HTSS.

- Edge-lit LED -- you will see a slight color difference on the edges of dark screens.
- Besides above, it is an extremely crisp visual. You'd be hard pressed to spot "pixels" like you normally could on standard computer monitors.
- No TV tuner
- 2 HDMI ports (no other inputs)

- PC use via HDMI -> DVI converter cable or adapter works fine (if your video card doesn't have HDMI out)

- TV is built for broadcast color spaces. Therefore, sharp red text on dark backgrounds will look fuzzy when being used as a computer monitor. There is no way to remedy this. You can adjust sharpness settings but that combo of red and black will never look perfect...just less bad.

- 3D use for PC works but will require:
--- EDIF Override for monitor
--- nVidia 3DTV Play compatible graphics card
--- nVidia 3DTV Play software (not nVision software which is older and requires IR emitter)
--- nVidia forceware drivers no higher than 296.10 (which can cause newer games to run slower than they should w/ updated drivers)

- Without the above, you can still simulate 3D with 3D applications that allow manual setting of "Side by Side" 3D but expect it to be slow and ugly.
- 3D's highest setting is limited to 1920x1080@24fps
- 240 Hz claim on box is false...it is "emulated"
- Speakers are hardly useful

- **** Flicker of Death ****
--- Anyone that has researched this display well will learn of something called the death flicker which starts with the monitor flickering off every now and then for a few seconds then coming back until one day it just doesn't power back on.
--- There has been NO official fix for this and it is apparently a flaw with ALL monitors, there have been no "stocked" hardware revisions therefore buying a warranty and replacing it in-store is only delaying the inevitable.
--- Only true fix from reported victims of the flaw is sending it to Sony and receiving a replacement from factory. Sony has a manufacturer's 1 year warranty in case yours does die.
--- Other homebrew potential fixes include:
----- Fan on back panel...low success rate, seems that some people encountered the issue only due to heat generation of the panel.
----- Others have found that the possible cause of flicker of death is due to the monitor being set to "demo" mode to stand out at stores. (high brightness, backlight, contrast, color, etc...)
----- My findings from research and from personal use with my own monitor (which has been successfully running without issues for over 4 months) is to immediately lower your settings to 5-7 backlight / 60-80 brightness / sharpness 1-2 / color <50 / and contrast 70-80...This will put significantly less strain on the monitor and likely keep it running.

Any other info needed, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help. I've done a ton of research on this thing to make sure mine doesn't go up in smoke.

This should be added to whatever post goes up when the sale fully hits. Thanks for the info. For $100 and with your research I'm gonna risk it.

#230 Desousa93

Desousa93

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I want the display but it too small I want a display not a monitor. If I had 3d enabed devices I'd jump on it but I'll save money amd buy a 3d tv down the road. I'd also rather get a used 360 from gamestop for 120.

#231 Desousa93

Desousa93

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Check there return policy if you can return items because you changed your mind or buyers remorse do it, now or after friday. Just pick up the one on bf and return yours (if possible).

That is why price match is good for businesses because they can avoid opened merch someone found at a lower price. It'd be smart of them to price match all the time so it is them getting your money not a competitor and possibly leaving open merch in your wake.

#232 Ace69

Ace69

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I think it is kind of random when they go online to be honest, I just hope it's all available online

Same here as I'd hate to actually have to go to the store and deal with all that stuff. Just hoping I can shop online and still get everything.

#233 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

2 questions

-I can technically get the 3D display for $50 because I took advantage of that Halo 4/American Express deal where I get $50 back for spending $100. Worth it even with the issues?
-Has anyone tried a Macbook Pro on the 3D display. If so how is it.

#234 TKSJOHN

TKSJOHN

The Dumpster Diver!

• Silenced

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Anyone know if I would be able to get a price adjustment on the 3d display for $99.99, I just paid $179,99 less then 2 weeks ago

#235 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

My tv went up this week and I was forced to use my new ps3 display and man it is sweet. If I see it for 99 I am going to grab another one. I paid 299 and I am happy. I love the crispness of the pictures. I use a dvd vcr and run the tuner through there to turn it into a tv. There are little nitpicks that could be better Like buttons on the remote but When I am playing it does what it suppose to.

#236 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I see a lot of praise for this 3D display...but I mean, isn't it a bit small for most of y'all? Ever since owning 37", up to my buddy's 46", back down to my 32" in y bedroom...I don't think I could ever go smaller.
Posted Image

#237 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Is the MW3 game deal the one that includes the DLC maps? I played the first black ops but never got to MW3.
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#238 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Anyone know if I would be able to get a price adjustment on the 3d display for $99.99, I just paid $179,99 less then 2 weeks ago

You can't PM from Thanksgiving through the following Monday.

So YMMV at best. But not PMing over this time is pounded into CSRs heads every year so I would almost just say 100% no

#239 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Is the MW3 game deal the one that includes the DLC maps? I played the first black ops but never got to MW3.

Skip it. It's basically MW2 v.2.

The original maps are pretty much reloads of MW2. Also they have lag compensation too much. Meaning people with bad connections have an advantage over people with good connections.

#240 Carlanga

Carlanga

Fishing for deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

So basically after 240 replies, no one besides the TS can vouch for the 'unadvertised sale" ?

I still have a backlog of Win 98 games sealed, at least I'm done w/ my floppies! :lol:

DoctorCarlos.png