(DEAD)XCOM: Enemy Unknown $25 at Amazon(PS3/360)

I ordered one from Walmart earlier. Not sure if I should cancel and order from Amazon. It has no monetary benefit to me either way, but I'm not sure if Walmart ships in shoddy packaging or not. I know Amazon uses the little cardboard boxes that protect the games real well.

This was the last game that I wanted this Black Friday. CAG saved me from going to a store and having to deal with hordes of people. This could possibly be the best Black Friday experience I have ever had!

[quote name='biggie2123']This was the last game that I wanted this Black Friday. CAG saved me from going to a store and having to deal with hordes of people. This could possibly be the best Black Friday experience I have ever had![/QUOTE]

It was the last game I was wanting to. Thanks op!

Thanks just picked one up
cdfde

[quote name='TimesTicking']is the game worth getting?[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite games this year. Fantastic top-down strategy gameplay in addition to an extra metagame strategy layer that has you managing resources, research priorities, and "panic levels" across the globe. It's also hard as balls at the beginning, and you absolutely will get many different members of your squad killed, but the difficulty and learning curve makes victory that much more exhilarating. I paid the equivalent of about $35 for it at launch and would have totally paid full retail for it if I had to. Luckily, I didn't, and you don't either. :)

[quote name='nccows']Goshdarnit. I payed $35 for it on Amazon on Thursday morning, and that order won't cancel.[/QUOTE]

Every time that's happened to me I send them a NICE email and ask if they can do a price adjust because it hasn't shipped yet. It always works. :cool:

is this game better on the pc? usually would prefer strategy games on pc but not sure about this one

I called them on the phone and asked my customer service lady (who was so Asian I could barely understand her) very nicely if she could do that, and she told me no, so I just ordered another copy at $25, and just as the customer service lady told me I should do, I'll return the $35 copy.

Not good, not good--I can return my Walmart copy thanks to this, but my Amazon credit is dwindling (and until I start to re-acquire some of the credit through trade-ins in the weeks to come, it'll stay low for a bit). Should I be happy with my WM copy or jump on this...? :whistle2:k

EDIT: Eh, I'll stick with my WM copy since I've already re-ordered R&C Collection and GoW Saga through Amazon so I can return my still-sealed copies to Gamestop and regain some credit.

[quote name='diishen']is this game better on the pc? usually would prefer strategy games on pc but not sure about this one[/QUOTE]

I pondered this. I was going to get this on PC but then I researched. To my eyes the Graphics are about the same. I'm sure if you have a crazy rig they will be a bit better but it's not really a beautiful game meant to push your hardware. Second it seems that the controller was optimized for the game and actually works better than the KB/M. The only thing the PC edition has going for it is mods. There are some mods out now and I'm sure more to come but it's not like say the Civ V mod scene where getting the mods are built into the platform. In short the console version looks to be neck and neck with the PC version. If you're a mod guy though you probably want to go with the PC version Green Man Gaming has is for $3 more I think.

[quote name='Rodster']Every time that's happened to me I send them a NICE email and ask if they can do a price adjust because it hasn't shipped yet. It always works. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I sent them a nice email and got a response about an adjustment since my order hasn't shipped yet

This is awesome! I missed the $25 lightning deal yesterday and was about to just go ahead and buy it. Thanks to the community here!

thanks OP!
got a copy for 360.
not willing to do the walmart crowd trampling to get this one in store, so this is a nice alternative

[quote name='confoosious']Does it really matter if your un-leveled up team members get killed? Is this like fire emblem where you basically can't lose anyone?[/QUOTE]

You can hire new soldiers but it costs money, not much, but every bit of money seems to count in this game. Also some missions have rewards such as granting you a higher level unit to use.

I picked my copy up at Walmart and played for like 6 hours last night. The game is really good. If you like any of the following, Warcraft, Command & Conquer, SMT games, FFT, Disgaea, Mass Effect, you will like this game. I feel it has elements of that all these games have all rolled into one massive ball.

[quote name='swirly76']thanks OP!
got a copy for 360.
not willing to do the walmart crowd trampling to get this one in store, so this is a nice alternative[/QUOTE]

I was able to get it at walyworld (with the DLC) around 1pm thursday since they had a glitch on the system. most of the video games already had the black friday price. I completely avoided the wild animalistic people from midnight. I was so proud of myself :)

[quote name='diishen']is this game better on the pc? usually would prefer strategy games on pc but not sure about this one[/QUOTE]

PC version all the way.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']This is a fun game but its meant to be played on a PC with a mouse not on a console with a controller[/QUOTE]I played it with a controller on the PC. And it was fine.

Xcom is done really well for consoles or PC. PC has the advantage of choosing an additional control setup, slightly better graphics, and mods.

Make your own call, but it's good on anything.

If you're on the fence about it there's a demo on Xbox not sure for the Ps3. Is it me or is the game pretty difficult ?

[quote name='dutch72']If you're on the fence about it there's a demo on Xbox not sure for the Ps3. Is it me or is the game pretty difficult ?[/QUOTE]

On normal, it's pretty hard at first, but if you manage your resources well, you will be stomping the enemy by the end. I played so well it actually got a little boring.

Anything above normal, however, can be ass-achingly hard. You have less money and start off with no extras. You will have to really stay on your toes, and manage things well.

I paid full price for this to support the development of more strategy titles, and am fairly satisfied. I really don't think it was quite worth $60, though. I'd say it's totally solid for 30 or less.

I'd like more options, a better ending, and a little more graphical effort for the next one though.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']This is a fun game but its meant to be played on a PC with a mouse not on a console with a controller[/QUOTE]

Look around alot of PC people are saying the XBOX 360 controller works slightly better.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']For those that ordered this. Just curious, did it come with the Elite Soldier Pack DLC?[/QUOTE]

I ordered from amazon, did not come with any DLC.

I brought the pc version with pre-order deal from newegg (for collection) and that comes with poster and the DLC, it's still available from amazon for $39.99.

Pity they did not offer any collector version for consoles.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']For those that ordered this. Just curious, did it come with the Elite Soldier Pack DLC?[/QUOTE]

YMMV but Amazon's product description showed the elite soldier pack included as a key feature. I emailed them and got a $10 refund.

bread's done
Back