Holiday Anime Sale @ Amazon.com (mainly FUNimation & Viz Media titles)

WTK

CAGiversary!
Cyber Monday Deals @ Amazon.com (tons of FUNimation titles added)

EDIT: updated links -> LINK / LINK | Offers expire on December 24th

Some of the deal highlights [updated]:

FUNimation
Viz Media
Other Deals

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Dragonball Z Kai Season 3 and Shana Season 1. GREAT prices on those. Was tempted to get Heaven's Lost Property, but I am going to keep to my original edict of waiting for the complete collection sometime next year.

Has anyone watched Robotech in the last 10 years? How does it hold up? I remember loving it as a kid but have never pulled the trigger on any of the dvds.

Wow, i'm spending so much this black friday/cyber monday. Definitely gonna pick up Samurai 7 and Samurai Champloo. Pretty sure i'm getting Claymore and Gotham Knight as well. Been waiting for some drops on good anime for a while.

Just to make sure are they already as low as they are gonna be? Just asking because I have seen summer wars around this price for a while... or at least every time I look at it.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Just to make sure are they already as low as they are gonna be? Just asking because I have seen summer wars around this price for a while... or at least every time I look at it.[/QUOTE]

These will probably be as low as they get as far as Amazon's Funimation sale goes for the rest of the year. They may do some towards the beginning of the year for some of these, but they tend to be a bit higher during the New Year sales and what not, so it's hard to say. And Rightstuf sales are right around the corner, so that's another obstacle in trying to gauge if it will go cheaper or not. Most of these probably won't go that much cheaper anyways, especially the blu-ray sets, so those are probably your best bet.

This is a really off-topic question and I feel kinda silly asking this but I must ask:

How long did it take to put the OP together? Is there a special technique or do they have to be input one at a time?

Whatever the case is, I want to say: Thank you, WTK, for putting the list together. I have much to buy and you made my life so much simpler. It really is appreciated, man. Rock on.

[quote name='hpbbes']Has anyone watched Robotech in the last 10 years? How does it hold up? I remember loving it as a kid but have never pulled the trigger on any of the dvds.[/QUOTE]
I tried getting into the classic years ago and IMO it didn't hold up as my first exposure to it. The more modern series were pretty cool though. I remember Zero being short and sweet.

[quote name='Jodou']I tried getting into the classic years ago and IMO it didn't hold up as my first exposure to it. The more modern series were pretty cool though. I remember Zero being short and sweet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have found memories of a lot 80's animation but it rarely holds up. Nostalgia is a bitch.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Just to make sure are they already as low as they are gonna be? Just asking because I have seen summer wars around this price for a while... or at least every time I look at it.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the product. DBZ Kai, Heaven's Lost Property, and Shana have never been this low outside of eBay.

Hello everyone, are there any plans for combined releases of the Naruto Shippudens or are these boxsets the best way to get that series? Thanks!

[quote name='jedimario']Hello everyone, are there any plans for combined releases of the Naruto Shippudens or are these boxsets the best way to get that series? Thanks![/QUOTE]

The sets aren't done releasing yet, so probably won't be until all of them have been released. Kind of like what they did with the original Naruto box sets, and then they came out with the combined sets after the original set was fully released.

[quote name='FireWarrior']Are these going to be discounted on Monday?[/QUOTE]
The Viz and WB stuff have been on sale all week. The FUNimation most likely will be. It's hard to say when the expiration date isn't stated (from what I can see).
Titles that are close to or over 60% off are likely the lowest they will be this holiday season.
[quote name='beefytwinkie']How long did it take to put the OP together? Is there a special technique or do they have to be input one at a time?[/QUOTE]
No special technique. I have most the URLs with the titles from previous sales on text file format. It's about just checking the sales price from the Amazon sales link.

[quote name='bizman316']Has anyone seen hero tales. It seems interesting but not sure if I want to blind buy it.[/QUOTE]

It's OK. Solid adventure series but nothing groundbreaking.

Looks great. Too bad I don't have money to enjoy it. :lol:

Btw, if anyone is interested. Death Note Re-Light, Vol.1 and 2 are 3.99 each at Best Buy, YMMV of course.

And here I told myself I was done spending this weekend after getting my vita and tv.

But oh well, have to get that Fairy Tail

I got Dragon Ball Kai Set 3, Naruto Shippuuden Movie 2, and Chobits all on blu-ray. Been waiting forever for DB Kai Set 3 to drop in price since it came out. There are other sets I am interested in getting also, but my wallet has been bled dry in the past few days.

[quote name='whippleman']Uh Oh someone should have waited[/QUOTE]

Doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be cheaper though. Rightstuf ran some same sale items last year too, but some were more expensive from Rightstuf than they were with the Amazon sale, so we'll just have to see.

I spent too much money my wallet can't take much more of this but my credit card on the other hand may be able to take a little more punishment...

I hate buying Funimation box sets that are split into mutliple seasons like Shakugan 1 or Strike Witches 1, becuase I know down the line they'll be re-released as complete box sets in the near future.

I'm hoping I learned my lesson now after being burned by their other releases.

I wonder if Ergo Proxy will go any lower during Rightstuf's December sales? I really want it, but I've spent so much already...

[quote name='Zaku77']I wonder if Ergo Proxy will go any lower during Rightstuf's December sales? I really want it, but I've spent so much already...[/QUOTE]

i bought it for 50 at best buy ages ago....SO SO SO WORTH IT!!!!

Per Amazon promo email, the discounts for DB/DBZ/DBGT related titles are suppose to go on sale until December 24th. No official word on the other FUNimation titles.

[quote name='WTK']Per Amazon promo email, the discounts for DB/DBZ/DBGT related titles are suppose to go on sale until December 24th. No official word on the other FUNimation titles.[/QUOTE]

hmm well thanks for that ill hold off on the last two dbz kai ones then.

[quote name='SpiderKnight']I hate buying Funimation box sets that are split into mutliple seasons like Shakugan 1 or Strike Witches 1, becuase I know down the line they'll be re-released as complete box sets in the near future.

I'm hoping I learned my lesson now after being burned by their other releases.[/QUOTE]

Most Funimation box sets aren't like that. Plus, I don't think they combine 24-26 episode seasons together, ever. Shana S1 probably won't be combined with S2, but the two S2 halves will probably be combined (which I'm waiting on).

Shana's 2 seasons will provably be combined with the movie and OVA, but probably not until Spring 2014. Look how long it took for School Rumble and Soul Eater to get complete sets.

Is $28 a pop the lowest those Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood sets have gone for, or have they hit a lower pricepoint before? Someone I know wants it for Christmas so I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I'm wondering if I should wait for a lower price.

[quote name='elessar123']Most Funimation box sets aren't like that. Plus, I don't think they combine 24-26 episode seasons together, ever. Shana S1 probably won't be combined with S2, but the two S2 halves will probably be combined (which I'm waiting on).[/QUOTE]
You would think but...

Funimation fooled us again by combining Soul Eater 1 and Soul Eater 2 (both having 25-26 eps) into the new "Soul Eater Complete Collection" all 51 epsidodes in a set!

Funimation = Capcom of anime. Consumer double-dipping is not an option for them, it's a requirement.

If a Funimation title has the words like "First Season" or "Part 1", and contains only 12-13 episodes, I literally stay away from them. Becuase 99% of the time they will re-release these again in a complete set.

To be fair anime publishers in general do this with their series all the time, so it's not really a Funimation exclusive thing. I think it's really just the nature of anime in general that this tends to happen because looking all my stuff from Viz, Anime Works, and ADV stuff, they're all exactly the same with the split boxes of the seasons, and then I know there is already a re-release of it in a more complete box. And to be fair this is a much better alternative than how they used to do it, which was from volume to volume, and each volume has 3-4 episodes per disc on it. I don't really know what you have against Funimation specifically, but to be fair it's not like they're exclusively the ones doing it when pretty much every other anime publisher does the same thing.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']You would think but...

Funimation fooled us again by combining Soul Eater 1 and Soul Eater 2 (both having 25-26 eps) into the new "Soul Eater Complete Collection" all 51 epsidodes in a set!

Funimation = Capcom of anime. Consumer double-dipping is not an option for them, it's a requirement.

If a Funimation title has the words like "First Season" or "Part 1", and contains only 12-13 episodes, I literally stay away from them. Becuase 99% of the time they will re-release these again in a complete set.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they do the same thing with Tsubasa? Or did the Collected Memories set come first?

[quote name='Squarehard']To be fair anime publishers in general do this with their series all the time, so it's not really a Funimation exclusive thing. I think it's really just the nature of anime in general that this tends to happen because looking all my stuff from Viz, Anime Works, and ADV stuff, they're all exactly the same with the split boxes of the seasons, and then I know there is already a re-release of it in a more complete box. And to be fair this is a much better alternative than how they used to do it, which was from volume to volume, and each volume has 3-4 episodes per disc on it. I don't really know what you have against Funimation specifically, but to be fair it's not like they're exclusively the ones doing it when pretty much every other anime publisher does the same thing.[/QUOTE]
I understood when they did that for the DVD especially during the whole collector's edition starter box sets phase.

But this is now Blu-ray where you can practically hold over 4.5 hours per side aka over ten 25-30 min episodes.

It used to really irk me when I buy a set and see Disc 1 has ten episodes but Disc 2 only has 3 and I know this is just the 1st set of many to come. Now I just don't buy them anymore. ;)

[quote name='Squall835']Didn't they do the same thing with Tsubasa? Or did the Collected Memories set come first?[/QUOTE]
They do it with everything.

They're now even doing the S.A.V.E. sets on their blu-ray sets.

How many times does a person have to keep buying sets of Dragonball Z?

[quote name='BMXJouster']Is $28 a pop the lowest those Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood sets have gone for, or have they hit a lower pricepoint before? Someone I know wants it for Christmas so I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I'm wondering if I should wait for a lower price.[/QUOTE]

this is as low as it will get.

[quote name='SpiderKnight']They do it with everything.

They're now even doing the S.A.V.E. sets on their blu-ray sets.[/QUOTE]
There are only a few S.A.V.E. sets on Blu-Ray. Tsubasa, Heroic Age, and Black Blood Brothers are the only ones I know of. FUNi tends to go towards their Anime Classics line with Blus.

How many times does a person have to keep buying sets of Dragonball Z?
This was a problem in the old days, but nowadays it's the orange boxes or bust. And FUNimation had not re-released those at all except for those one-off Walmart exclusives. The Dragon Boxes are essentially Special Editions, which are not limited to anime at all, while the Blu-ray sets were a different format. Kai is a completely different series and doesn't count.

As for Soul Eater, the recent complete set came out at least a year after the Weapon/Meister Collections. One reason companies do this is to get the series back in the spotlight so new fans will notice, they could be doing it to fill out a slim month, or two put it in a new line like S.A.V.E. or anime Classics. It is a similar reason as to why they release new editions of Star Wars, Mummy, Lord of the Rings, etc. every few years. Also note that when FUNimation does their season sets for Blu-ray, they remake the discs instead of just using the old discs.

Oh, and to the guy who was asking about FMA, except for one-off eBay auctions and the like, this is about as low as the Brotherhood sets get.

[quote name='SpiderKnight']I understood when they did that for the DVD especially during the whole collector's edition starter box sets phase.

But this is now Blu-ray where you can practically hold over 4.5 hours per side aka over ten 25-30 min episodes.

It used to really irk me when I buy a set and see Disc 1 has ten episodes but Disc 2 only has 3 and I know this is just the 1st set of many to come. Now I just don't buy them anymore. ;)[/QUOTE]

Even with blu-rays though other companies do this as well, for example Anime Works does the exact same thing with their blu-ray series, and Sentai does it all the time too. My main argument wasn't to say that it is right or wrong, but to make it clear it wasn't a Funimation specific thing because I didn't feel it was necessary to make Funimation a martyr for this issue when they're not even the only ones doing it, which was really my main point to begin with. Personally I hate how it's split up like that, but it's definitely not something exclusive to Funimation. And Jcaugustine makes the exact same statement about how Funimation is the equivalent to Capcom in anime over and over again in almost every anime thread where there is a Funimation set on sale, so I just wanted to say something in response this time. It really is a problem with how the industry does it overall, and you should hate the whole rather than just a part of it, or at least for this specific issue. ;P

[quote name='Jcaugustine']You would think but...

Funimation fooled us again by combining Soul Eater 1 and Soul Eater 2 (both having 25-26 eps) into the new "Soul Eater Complete Collection" all 51 epsidodes in a set![/QUOTE]

Lol, I actually didn't know about the new Soul Eater set.

[quote name='elessar123']Lol, I actually didn't know about the new Soul Eater set.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you of all people didn't know that. @_@

bread's done
Back