Photo
- - - - -

Holiday Anime Sale @ Amazon.com (mainly FUNimation & Viz Media titles)

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#31 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I wonder if Ergo Proxy will go any lower during Rightstuf's December sales? I really want it, but I've spent so much already...

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#32 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wonder if Ergo Proxy will go any lower during Rightstuf's December sales? I really want it, but I've spent so much already...

i bought it for 50 at best buy ages ago....SO SO SO WORTH IT!!!!

#33 WTK

WTK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Per Amazon promo email, the discounts for DB/DBZ/DBGT related titles are suppose to go on sale until December 24th. No official word on the other FUNimation titles.

#34 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Per Amazon promo email, the discounts for DB/DBZ/DBGT related titles are suppose to go on sale until December 24th. No official word on the other FUNimation titles.

hmm well thanks for that ill hold off on the last two dbz kai ones then.

#35 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I hate buying Funimation box sets that are split into mutliple seasons like Shakugan 1 or Strike Witches 1, becuase I know down the line they'll be re-released as complete box sets in the near future.

I'm hoping I learned my lesson now after being burned by their other releases.

Most Funimation box sets aren't like that. Plus, I don't think they combine 24-26 episode seasons together, ever. Shana S1 probably won't be combined with S2, but the two S2 halves will probably be combined (which I'm waiting on).

#36 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Shana's 2 seasons will provably be combined with the movie and OVA, but probably not until Spring 2014. Look how long it took for School Rumble and Soul Eater to get complete sets.

#37 Chief Keef

Chief Keef

GBE 3hunna

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

is Chaos;Head any good?

Rollin off them hittas, sippin on that lean

Glory Boy wit a lamron shorty all the bitches want weed

We posted on the block, come thru we lettin off shots

When I be thru gettin that top I be ready for that qwap

BANG 3 COMING SOON ~~~~ 300 

#38 BMXJouster

BMXJouster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Is $28 a pop the lowest those Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood sets have gone for, or have they hit a lower pricepoint before? Someone I know wants it for Christmas so I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I'm wondering if I should wait for a lower price.

#39 Jcaugustine

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Most Funimation box sets aren't like that. Plus, I don't think they combine 24-26 episode seasons together, ever. Shana S1 probably won't be combined with S2, but the two S2 halves will probably be combined (which I'm waiting on).

You would think but...

Funimation fooled us again by combining Soul Eater 1 and Soul Eater 2 (both having 25-26 eps) into the new "Soul Eater Complete Collection" all 51 epsidodes in a set!

Funimation = Capcom of anime. Consumer double-dipping is not an option for them, it's a requirement.

If a Funimation title has the words like "First Season" or "Part 1", and contains only 12-13 episodes, I literally stay away from them. Becuase 99% of the time they will re-release these again in a complete set.

CaptAmericaEagle16f.gif

#40 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

To be fair anime publishers in general do this with their series all the time, so it's not really a Funimation exclusive thing. I think it's really just the nature of anime in general that this tends to happen because looking all my stuff from Viz, Anime Works, and ADV stuff, they're all exactly the same with the split boxes of the seasons, and then I know there is already a re-release of it in a more complete box. And to be fair this is a much better alternative than how they used to do it, which was from volume to volume, and each volume has 3-4 episodes per disc on it. I don't really know what you have against Funimation specifically, but to be fair it's not like they're exclusively the ones doing it when pretty much every other anime publisher does the same thing.

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043

#41 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

You would think but...

Funimation fooled us again by combining Soul Eater 1 and Soul Eater 2 (both having 25-26 eps) into the new "Soul Eater Complete Collection" all 51 epsidodes in a set!

Funimation = Capcom of anime. Consumer double-dipping is not an option for them, it's a requirement.

If a Funimation title has the words like "First Season" or "Part 1", and contains only 12-13 episodes, I literally stay away from them. Becuase 99% of the time they will re-release these again in a complete set.

Didn't they do the same thing with Tsubasa? Or did the Collected Memories set come first?

#42 SpiderKnight

SpiderKnight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

To be fair anime publishers in general do this with their series all the time, so it's not really a Funimation exclusive thing. I think it's really just the nature of anime in general that this tends to happen because looking all my stuff from Viz, Anime Works, and ADV stuff, they're all exactly the same with the split boxes of the seasons, and then I know there is already a re-release of it in a more complete box. And to be fair this is a much better alternative than how they used to do it, which was from volume to volume, and each volume has 3-4 episodes per disc on it. I don't really know what you have against Funimation specifically, but to be fair it's not like they're exclusively the ones doing it when pretty much every other anime publisher does the same thing.

I understood when they did that for the DVD especially during the whole collector's edition starter box sets phase.

But this is now Blu-ray where you can practically hold over 4.5 hours per side aka over ten 25-30 min episodes.

It used to really irk me when I buy a set and see Disc 1 has ten episodes but Disc 2 only has 3 and I know this is just the 1st set of many to come. Now I just don't buy them anymore. ;)

#43 SpiderKnight

SpiderKnight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Didn't they do the same thing with Tsubasa? Or did the Collected Memories set come first?

They do it with everything.

They're now even doing the S.A.V.E. sets on their blu-ray sets.

How many times does a person have to keep buying sets of Dragonball Z?

#44 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Is $28 a pop the lowest those Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood sets have gone for, or have they hit a lower pricepoint before? Someone I know wants it for Christmas so I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I'm wondering if I should wait for a lower price.

this is as low as it will get.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#45 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

They do it with everything.

They're now even doing the S.A.V.E. sets on their blu-ray sets.

There are only a few S.A.V.E. sets on Blu-Ray. Tsubasa, Heroic Age, and Black Blood Brothers are the only ones I know of. FUNi tends to go towards their Anime Classics line with Blus.

How many times does a person have to keep buying sets of Dragonball Z?

This was a problem in the old days, but nowadays it's the orange boxes or bust. And FUNimation had not re-released those at all except for those one-off Walmart exclusives. The Dragon Boxes are essentially Special Editions, which are not limited to anime at all, while the Blu-ray sets were a different format. Kai is a completely different series and doesn't count.

As for Soul Eater, the recent complete set came out at least a year after the Weapon/Meister Collections. One reason companies do this is to get the series back in the spotlight so new fans will notice, they could be doing it to fill out a slim month, or two put it in a new line like S.A.V.E. or anime Classics. It is a similar reason as to why they release new editions of Star Wars, Mummy, Lord of the Rings, etc. every few years. Also note that when FUNimation does their season sets for Blu-ray, they remake the discs instead of just using the old discs.

Oh, and to the guy who was asking about FMA, except for one-off eBay auctions and the like, this is about as low as the Brotherhood sets get.

#46 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

I understood when they did that for the DVD especially during the whole collector's edition starter box sets phase.

But this is now Blu-ray where you can practically hold over 4.5 hours per side aka over ten 25-30 min episodes.

It used to really irk me when I buy a set and see Disc 1 has ten episodes but Disc 2 only has 3 and I know this is just the 1st set of many to come. Now I just don't buy them anymore. ;)

Even with blu-rays though other companies do this as well, for example Anime Works does the exact same thing with their blu-ray series, and Sentai does it all the time too. My main argument wasn't to say that it is right or wrong, but to make it clear it wasn't a Funimation specific thing because I didn't feel it was necessary to make Funimation a martyr for this issue when they're not even the only ones doing it, which was really my main point to begin with. Personally I hate how it's split up like that, but it's definitely not something exclusive to Funimation. And Jcaugustine makes the exact same statement about how Funimation is the equivalent to Capcom in anime over and over again in almost every anime thread where there is a Funimation set on sale, so I just wanted to say something in response this time. It really is a problem with how the industry does it overall, and you should hate the whole rather than just a part of it, or at least for this specific issue. ;P

Edited by Squarehard, 26 November 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#47 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

You would think but...

Lol, I actually didn't know about the new Soul Eater set.

#48 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'm surprised you of all people didn't know that. @_@

#49 GreyFoxx2002

GreyFoxx2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Sheesh this came at the worse time for me...

#50 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Neither did I. I still have the original four DVD sets and don't plan to get new ones. They were like $35 a pop back then. The prices here for the double packs are amazing.

Btw, if anyone is having trouble deciding what to get, Haibane Renmei is absolutely beautiful!

#51 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'm surprised you of all people didn't know that. @_@

I actually don't follow any forums other than this one any more. I used to follow mostly anime sites, but my anime viewing went way down since the GF.

#52 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I actually don't follow any forums other than this one any more. I used to follow mostly anime sites, but my anime viewing went way down since the GF.

Oh I see. *sadface*

It's okay, I'll make sure to watch enough anime for the both of us, and maybe more than some people will do in a lifetime.

#53 Stoke

Stoke

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Think I may finally pick up Last Exile. Also had Ouran in my cart before I realized I already own it.

#54 Ratchet & CAG

Ratchet & CAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

In other words, in terms of Blu-ray stay away from:

- Strike Witches
- Shiki
- Legend of Legendary Heroes
- Fairy Tail
- Heaven's Lost Property

Because are all going to be rereleased in a more complete series down the line.

#55 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

- Strike Witches
- Shiki
- Fairy Tail
- Heaven's Lost Property

Sounds about right. I guarantee Shiki will have one. The rest probably will.

Edit: Shiki was one full Japanese season. The rest are multiple Japanese seasons/series.

#56 Jcaugustine

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

is Chaos;Head any good?

Watch the whole series here:

http://www.youtube.com/show/chaoshead

Feels more like a rental to me.

Watch practically all Funimation titles here:

http://www.youtube.com/funimation

CaptAmericaEagle16f.gif

#57 Jcaugustine

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

- Strike Witches
- Shiki
- Fairy Tail
- Heaven's Lost Property

YES.

Especially Fairy Tail.

The whole 4 part sets available for sale right now only covers Season 1. There's at least 3 more seasons to come that are yet to be released and the series is still going on.

CaptAmericaEagle16f.gif

#58 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hoping the Funi deal lasts as long as the DBZ stuff sale lasts.

#59 Drahken

Drahken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

sigh, my wallet is already crying but there's so much I want to buy but so little money atm.

#60 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Could anyone recommend Texhnololyze, Shakugan no Shana, Strike Witches or Ga-Rei Zero? Been looking at Ga-Rei Zero and Texhnolyze for awhile but I'm a fan of a decent blind buy.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."