Photo
- - - - -

Holiday Anime Sale @ Amazon.com (mainly FUNimation & Viz Media titles)

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#91 whippleman

whippleman

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Yes Shana season 1 is available to order again!

#92 WTK

WTK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Edited by WTK, 05 December 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#93 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Fans of Samurai Champloo were more than a bit nonplussed that the original BD release of this was upscaled from an SD master, but of course given the genesis and era of the show's creation, there was no other alternative. This new BD release appears to be the same AVC/1080p upconvert port, but don't let the term "upconvert" scare you away unnecessarily. Despite the doomsday prophecies, Samurai Champloo actually looks pretty darned spry on this Blu-ray set. Line detail is excellent and color is especially robust and well saturated. This is one of the most inventively visual animes in recent (maybe not so recent) memory, and while it's not at the absolute peak of hi-def wonderment, it looks sufficiently sharp and well detailed here to rate a well above average score. Sometimes people just like to complain.

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/17449/

Ironically I started rewatching on dvd this a few days ago and only have finished episode 4 so far. Can anyone who upgraded from the dvd set to blu ray comment if it was worth it? This and Basilisk are the two animes I've had an eye on upgrading but I'm still on the fence.

#94 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I really want Shiki and Black Butler, but I know both will end up being cheaper when either the second part isn't only in an LE or when a complete collection is released.

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#95 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

I personally think it is worth it for the shelf space alone, but I don't own an HDTV so I can't speak to image quality.

#96 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

How do you still not own an HDTV? They are so cheap now, especially if you're just buying your first one and don't want something overly extravagant.

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#97 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Ironically I started rewatching on dvd this a few days ago and only have finished episode 4 so far. Can anyone who upgraded from the dvd set to blu ray comment if it was worth it? This and Basilisk are the two animes I've had an eye on upgrading but I'm still on the fence.

i bought this awhile ago on blu ray. i did not buy in on dvd i only saw it on adult swim countless times.

that being said it really looks pretty good in blu ray honestly. i do not know if it is worth the upgrade from DVD. but honestly it does look pretty good as far as i recall. there was nothing that stood out as bad in fact it all looked pretty good honestly. its a three disc set if i recall as well. overall pretty good quality release.

the thing i will say here is this. i recently bought a blu ray player and i noticed it makes blu rays look noticeably better than the ps3 does. and i watch samuri champloo on the ps3 as i got it before i got a stand alone player. and it already looked pretty good on the ps3 so i'd imagine it would look noticeably better on a stand alone player.

whether its worth 20 dollars or not? i don't know. im just commenting and saying it was a pretty good release. if i were you and had the spare 20 i'd buy it. however it was 27 dollars during the summer when i got it. so i dont see this anime getting much more expensive as it has been on sale before so there is that to factor in. but i could be wrong.

its no evangelion 1.11 or 2.22. on blu ray or kurokami on blu ray which are easily the two best looking anime blu rays ive seen....but it is pretty good actually really damn good considering it came from SD source material. though my ranking of kurokami could change as i bought a bunch on this sale so but i doubt evangelion will get topped. if it did i'd be impressed as hell. speaking of i probably should watch that on the stand alone player to blow my mind and not the ps3.

#98 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'd definitely recommend the upgrade for Champloo. I think they did a good job considering it wasn't originally produced for full HD, so the touch ups on the blu version you will notice quite a bit of difference compared to the DVD versions. However it is of course not the best quality in the world for HD, but for being an upgrade of the series it does give you a noticeable jump up in comparison.

And there are also discussions out there between whether or not the original blu release of Champloo or the re-release of the classics version had better or worse quality.

I own both sets and there is absolutely no noticeable difference in video or audio that I could identify watching through them both, so don't get caught up in all that junk if you run into it.

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043

#99 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

How do you still not own an HDTV? They are so cheap now, especially if you're just buying your first one and don't want something overly extravagant.

Because in order to get a decent size HDTV, I would also have to get an entirely new shelving unit to hold it as well as finding a place to put all the stuff we have on there (Gundam models, Pokemon albums, mother's bell and vase collections, all the crap I made when I was a kid) which is hard because we have no storage space as it is.

#100 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

It's probably not worth the upgrade if you already own the DVDs. The series was produced in standard definition, so the existing Blu-ray set is already an upscale, and not native HD. The first version they released also suffered from too much DNR, making background textures fuzzy and less-detailed than its SD counterpart, though it's my understanding that they've fixed most of that with the latest pressing.
Posted Image

#101 Sizzler7

Sizzler7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

In for the Champloo Blu-Ray awesome price was waiting for it to drop.

#102 ManCowBear

ManCowBear

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

I found this and pick up One Piece Collections 1 & 2 for $26.98

Amazon has another $5 off of $25 purchase buying posting and sharing your answer on facebook. It must be redeemed by 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, December 9th. While supplies last:

http://www.amazon.co...ons/holiday5off

#103 Vash1306

Vash1306

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Damn it, I missed the price drop on the Samurai Champloo Blu-Ray deal =(

#104 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Because in order to get a decent size HDTV, I would also have to get an entirely new shelving unit to hold it as well as finding a place to put all the stuff we have on there (Gundam models, Pokemon albums, mother's bell and vase collections, all the crap I made when I was a kid) which is hard because we have no storage space as it is.

your average 32 inch HDTV is about the size of your average SDTV ive seen or am i think of 26 inch HDTV? and they take up less space.

i'd say its worth it. plus you dont have to set up an HDTV they come with stands so no mounting on wall required.

you'd be amazed at the balance HDTVs have. my 50inch is set up where half of the stand the about 1/4 on each end is not even on the table and it is just fine. and before i move the entire front half of the stand was not on the table and it sat like that fine for a good year. so really these things can sit pretty good just about anywhere.

now why i was crazy enough to risk this in the first place is a whole other question lol

#105 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

your average 32 inch HDTV is about the size of your average SDTV ive seen or am i think of 26 inch HDTV?

I have a 22" regular TV right now and I have less than an inch of room on the sides of the cabinet to fit anything else. In order to fit a decent size HDTV I would have to cut out the middle support and the top shelf is already dipping in the middle. Plus, I refuse to give Comcast any more of my money (I would also have to upgrade TiVo) so my regular connection would actually look worse than what I have now.

#106 Miketheking

Miketheking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

To bad there's no redline sale

#107 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thank you DNukem170, kayne2000, Squarehard, and Kirin Lemon for your opinions. I guess I waited too long to decide and Amazon made up my mind on the Samurai Champloo blu-ray set. If BF didn't just pass I would have jumped on it. I don't think this will be the last time we'll see it this low though.

#108 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thank you DNukem170, kayne2000, Squarehard, and Kirin Lemon for your opinions. I guess I waited too long to decide and Amazon made up my mind on the Samurai Champloo blu-ray set. If BF didn't just pass I would have jumped on it. I don't think this will be the last time we'll see it this low though.

It was $17.99 last year, so you missed out on overpaying. :P

#109 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

I ended up picking up:

Amitage Movie collection
Origin spirits of the past bluray
Texhnolyze dvd

Not a big haul from this sale but rightstuf pretty much took up most of my budget this year, again.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#110 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

The only reason I even spent money on this sale was because of the 5 off 25.

Other than that I passed on everything else since Rightstuf offered some of the same titles I wanted, but they don't charge me tax, so yeah....

#111 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

The only reason I even spent money on this sale was because of the 5 off 25.

Other than that I passed on everything else since Rightstuf offered some of the same titles I wanted, but they don't charge me tax, so yeah....

I used the 5 of 25 too. pretty much the only reason. RS managed to match just about everything good

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#112 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Same. Only bought One Piece 7 and 8 from Amazon.

#113 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

If anyone missed out on the Samurai Champloo BR it's going to be a Lightning Deal starting at 2 PM PST on Tuesday. Heltalia World Series 1 Season 3 will also be a LD at the same time. In fact, there's a whole list of deals to look at that isn't anime.

#114 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

In fact, there's a whole list of deals to look at that isn't anime.

Yea, but who cares about them?

#115 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

yea, but who cares about them?

^

;3