Photo
- - - - -

Blue 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7 Bundle for $199.99 coming soon!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#31 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

I'm still waiting for the 3DS XL with the inevitable 2nd analog stick. Bet it's going to be Nintendo's biggest announcement at next year's E3.

Why won't people give this up? It won't happen. Period.

#32 CaboWabo

CaboWabo

9-Year CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Still waiting for a different color. Anything but the Blue & Red !

Im waiting for black or silver. The red and blue look too "toyish"

#33 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

and personally I think it shouldn't. The only reason to add a second analogue stick is to make games work for southpaws but noone cares about us. I think the color blind get more attention than us.

Nice deals. Kinda wish it was a cart instead of a digital version myself but waiting like always pays off.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#34 Lonedrifter1989

Lonedrifter1989

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

The 3DS XL Blue with Mario Kart 7 bundle will be on sale next week. Edit: The bundle will be $199.99

Posted Image

The regular 3ds will be getting an official price drop to $139.99 about 2 weeks from now.

Would be awesome if there are still the Flame Red/Mario bundles left and those drop in price as well.

#35 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Can't believe we aren't getting a new design or color... but at least Nintendo should have made the bundle with the RED unit to mirror the original DS Red Hot Red bundle.

I'm assuming this is a pre-load also... I'd much prefer a cart.

Nintendo prefers being able to save the cost of the ROM when it costs so little to pre-load it on the bundled SD card. They can even include a higher capacity SD card to keep the base spec intact while including the game. (3DS games are currently 2 GB at most, though most are far smaller.) The 3DSXL comes with a 4 GB card. Expect that to grow to 8 GB to make room for bundled sweeteners rather than carts.

Mask ROM production is increasingly becoming a bad option for game system makers. Sony has already abandoned it on the Vita. All Vita carts are generic flash memory devices internally. This makes things a LOT simpler in manufacturing now that flash has dropped below mask ROM in cost. It becomes much more like making optical discs where the item being written can be changed on short notice and there is no penalty for small production runs. Mask ROM favored large production runs because there was a substantial cost and time involved in changing to a different game being produced. This is why some games in the cartridge days would start off hard to find and never get better regardless of market demand. If the publisher didn't have enough capital to risk it just couldn't afford to commit to making more carts when demand might dry up before they were ready to ship. With flash carts nothing is final until the label goes on.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.

#36 Lonedrifter1989

Lonedrifter1989

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't want to reveal my source but you can get the regular 3ds next week at target for $129.99 by the way. This msrp drop won't happen till 2 weeks from now.

holy shit, awesome deal right there if that's true! but as mentioned before, if that included the mario game that would be amazing, or hope there are good prices other than $40 to pick up mario land or paper mario:sticker star. I really want one, just sometimes can't justify another console without an awesome deal. I could see people doing return rebuys from black friday if they're gifts and still in an unopened state.

#37 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hopefully this happens during Walmart associate appreciation (20% off 1 transaction).

Currently playing:

icon_snes.gif- Nothing, 11m9gn4.png- Nothing
:3ds:- Monster Rancher Advance 2, :psp:- Nothing
:ps3:- Nothing, atari_jaguar.png- Elansar, Pippin01.gif- Super Marathon
Wii_U_platform_icon.png- Ducktales Remastered, 20g0cxd.png- Nothing

#38 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I just noticed the Flame Red 3DS isn't listed on Nintendo's site anymore.

That sucks, it's my favorite color of the hardware and if something were to happen to mine and I had no way to replace it that would suck.

#39 tehsolo

tehsolo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Might have to return my Target 3DS XL that I got for $175 plus tax. Saving $25 during Black Friday, might not have been worth it.

It definitely was not a BF worthy deal. People were getting it for that much on launch day after gift card/future game credit offers from k-mart.

Mario kart 7 still goes for $35-40 easy so this is a decent deal bundle if it sells for $200.

PS I would love to get mk7 for $20-25 if it goes on sale somewhere today.

#40 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Still waiting on a nice color and price drop on a 3DS XL. The blue looks okay, but I would have liked it a bit darker. Don't really care for Mario Kart 7, either.

#41 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

and personally I think it shouldn't. The only reason to add a second analogue stick is to make games work for southpaws but noone cares about us. I think the color blind get more attention than us.

Nice deals. Kinda wish it was a cart instead of a digital version myself but waiting like always pays off.

I've never understood the left handed thing myself. I'm left handed but I've never had any problem using a standard controller on any system. On an arcade machine with a big central stick and buttons duplicated on both sides (remember Gorf?) I might not use the same hand on the stick as most people but I cannot remember ever being held back by the alignment of the controller. The ability to flip the screen on the Atari Lynx was cool but I never used it in real life play. Just fooled with it to see it working.

Maybe I'm not sufficiently left handed. I write sinister but I throw with the right and have no problem with common scissors. Though I did grow up always eating next to the same left handed sibling. It may be a lifetime of subtle conditioning against my 'handicap.'

#42 Astro7x

Astro7x

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Maybe I'll upgrade if the 3DS XL hits $150. $160 w/o the game would have been tempting, but I already have a 3DS and MK7.

The XL is gorgeous, but I can't justify it so soon into the systems lifecycle. It feels like I should just wait longer until the battery can't hold a charge anymore or something breaks on it, because i use it damn near every day.

#43 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Sold. Getting an XL for my son for XMas. Going to pick up SML3D, NSMB2 & Zelda to round it out and he will be set for the next year.

#44 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Feeling a bit foolish for paying $250 at launch now xD

#45 CaboWabo

CaboWabo

9-Year CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Feeling a bit foolish for paying $250 at launch now xD

Thats what all the $350 Wii U early adopters will soon be saying. I bet prices will be down fast on that one in order to rush sales out before a 720 announcement.

#46 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Damn, just bought one at 169.99 at gamestop on black friday. I wish they did MSRP refunds.

#47 ZincAlloy

ZincAlloy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Because Nintendo has a history of releasing multiple reiterations of the same handheld often adding things that should have been in the first one.
This will undoubtedly happen!

#48 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

So those BF bundles were effectively non-deals, no wonder there was such a lack of 3DS deals this BF. How many people actually use the charging cradle, I know if I was buying this I probably wouldn't. I think you can get a charging cradle for like $3 used at GS if you really want one, I think I have seen them there for that price.

For me to buy the price has to hit $99 or else I won't buy for the regular model, but I am still wondering which one to get, the XL is bigger and has a better battery but it also looks more pixelated, I won't be using the 3D feature so that is not a concern, the regular is cheaper and more pocketable which would be better for collecting streetpasses, not that I will get any around here anyways but I would probably still carry it 24/7 in the hopes of getting a couple.

Don't forget the XL also has dimmer screens and much worse speakers. Compare them side-by-side if you get a chance.

#49 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thats what all the $350 Wii U early adopters will soon be saying. I bet prices will be down fast on that one in order to rush sales out before a 720 announcement.

Depends if they make their launch numbers or not. Wii pricing largely ignored the existence of the competing machines and moved a massive number of units. Nintendo is counting on doing the same and establishing a good base before Sony or Microsoft announce anything. If they stick to their historical tactics the launch prices for the new generation will make the Wii U look relatively inexpensive. That is leaving aside the likely performance differences, which the mass of Wii buyers were largely oblivious to anyway.

#50 EvilIA

EvilIA

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Nice price drop. I suspect a price drop on the 3dsXL is inbound as well, not just the bundle.

Need different colors Nintendo. Red/Blue only sucks.

#51 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Actually lefties are not the only reason for a second analog stick. Nintendo bungled the design by leaving out the second stick from the original design. Having a second stick means you have camera/view control, in addition to movement control from the first stick. Just look at RE:Revelations as an example.

For a "3D" oriented system, the lack of the second stick was a pretty huge oversight.

#52 dbolt

dbolt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Might pick up a 3DS at that price. I really want to play Fire Emblem when it comes out.

#53 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Because Nintendo has a history of releasing multiple reiterations of the same handheld often adding things that should have been in the first one.

Releasing it would cause a mess for Nintendo. They won't do it.

#54 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yep, that's the only reason I wasn't an early adopter of the 3DS. I knew it was only a matter of time for a better designed version.

16Z462z.jpg

#55 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

My wife got me a blue XL last week for $179 from Target. If they had a solid black one I would return this one and exchange it for one that looks like an adult would own.
$20 more for a preloaded game doesn't sound very enticing to me. I guess I'll be keeping what I have for now.

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#56 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

This is simply not true. In terms of branding they are not the same handheld. Nintendo has added features that fork the software only when the new machine is treated as a new platform. For example, the DS Lite was a very popular iteration but was the exact same machine for developer's purposes. The DSi was was a new platform that happened to be backward compatible to the DS. Thus the existence of DSi branding on games that use the cameras but no distinct software branding for the DS Lite. Because it wasn't needed.

There is notably a very small pool of DSi only games and scarcely any that compel an upgrade. Likewise, the pool of games that really call for the second analog input is not a big market driver for the Circle Pad add-on. If Nintendo started seeing Circle Pad Pro sales that matched at least 40% of the installed base for the 3DS there might be a case for a new model but as it is there just isn't that much demand and it remains something that can wait until there is enough need in other areas to release a new platform that also runs the existing software.

That might become moot as the market for dedicated handheld gaming shrinks to be too small to be worth Nintendo's trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if the next new platform for mobile Nintendo software is a partnership with cell phone handset makers. Sort of like what Sony is attempting but from a stronger market position.

#57 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

EDIT: OH, it's a pre-load? Boo. Oh well. I shouldn't complain about a free game...though how does that work if I want to get a bigger SD Card? (I've a fair bit of DLC, mainly from Theatrhythm.)

The only problem with Nintendo and buying games from them digitally is that they have a really strict DRM. Unless you buy another console, you can keep it. Games are bind by it, not by account.

#58 destro4eva

destro4eva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Ugly colors and game is not on a cart? No sale.

Get this thing down to $150 w/ an actual free game cartridge and we'll talk. Gimme some 2-D Metroids too Nintendo, get on it!

#59 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Actually lefties are not the only reason for a second analog stick. Nintendo bungled the design by leaving out the second stick from the original design. Having a second stick means you have camera/view control, in addition to movement control from the first stick. Just look at RE:Revelations as an example.

For a "3D" oriented system, the lack of the second stick was a pretty huge oversight.

In terms of cost and the engineering problem of squeezing it in it just isn't that valuable. The camera movement is just as easily done using one of the buttons as a shift key to put the existing analog stick into that mode. It worked fine on the PSP despite all of the whining. Sony put a second analog stick on the Vita but thus far that hasn't saved it from wretched sales. The stick is nice to have but a lower price is apparently a more important selling point.

The only compelling reason for two analog sticks in a price sensitive handheld is games that make use of both sticks simultaneously. There are examples of dual stick games dating back to Robotron: 2084 in the arcades but it has always been a subgenre that had easy workarounds, like Smash TV on SNES.

#60 SMBScooby

SMBScooby

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I am just waiting for a themed color system like the zelda 3DS. Hopefully they do it soon. I have a whole bunch of games but no system.